True Identity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
The image and likeness dose not mean shape in this verse. It is about God giving us his character and authority to fill the earth with his nature.
Adan and Eve were made in God's likeness and Image. We were made in Adam's likeness and image, UNTIL we are born again from above.

Genesis 5:3 New King James Version (NKJV)
3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.

K

Karraster

Wrong....we were created by Christ and for Christ....we were made in HIS IMAGE
What are you arguing about?

If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.

Dec 12, 2013
What are you arguing about?

If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
So what....what form did he take...Jesus....we were made in that image pal

Dec 12, 2013
You just like to argue, what are you bored or something?
No...I love the truth and cannot stand when it is corrupted or skewed or twisted by religionists or those with religious inept agendas......

Mar 28, 2016
The Bible says we are created in the image and likeness of God and given dominion over the earth and everything in it. What does this mean to you as a believer.
It describes the order before the fall before the whole creation was corrupted when God corrupted it .It would appear it began on day 4 with the temporal time keepers (Sun and moon) .The glory of God had departed and will not return to lighten this creation. In the new order that glory will be the light. There will be no darkness as metaphor to represent evil.

Mar 28, 2016
Yes, in the image of God who is not a man as us. Likeness of God not seen.... not man seen . God is not a man as us never was never could be.He has no beginning or end .

When we make gods in the likeness of men we blaspheme the holy name by which we are called and violate the first commandment to have no other gods before Christ to include ones own self as a god.

Acts 14:11 And when the people saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men.

They attributed the work of God to the hands of sinful men, the apostles, as if God was served by human hand in any way shape or form and needed something form the clay he is forming Christ in..

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The Bible says we are created in the image and likeness of God and given dominion over the earth and everything in it. What does this mean to you as a believer.
It means we are to care for His creation, the animals, his creatures.
Because we are created in the image and likeness of God, its good to get to know our Creator and do the things He does,learn how to do things His way.

Dominion to me means caring, or maybe ruling. I dont think it means dominating.
As a believer i think the way we treat animals shows us we are like God, when we look after them. Because they are precious in his sight, even the sparrows.

If a believer says to me he or she doesnt care about animal welfare and thinks its ok to abuse or maltreat an animal or poison them I would be very sad. Since Noahs flood Animals now fear us cos we eat them but many sacrifice their lives for us. So we are to give thanks for without them we wouldnt be able to survive on earth.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The image and likeness dose not mean shape in this verse. It is about God giving us his character and authority to fill the earth with his nature.
The character of God is way above and superior to our character and the character of Adam and Eve.. He is the Creator we are the created..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
And Jesus and the Father are One.... So saying we are created in the Image of God is the same as saying i we are created in the image of Jesus..

Dec 12, 2013
And Jesus and the Father are One.... So saying we are created in the Image of God is the same as saying i we are created in the image of Jesus..
I suppose since we are made in God's image we have all three aspects of the one true God.....

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
it was said at the creation of Adam, that man should have dominion over all the living creatures. ((Genesis 1:26))
has anything relevant changed? is that same thing true of all mankind, now?
it was said to Noah, that the fear and dead of him would be on all the living creatures, and they would be given into his hand. ((Genesis 9:2))
has anything relevant changed? is that same thing true of all mankind, now?
Elihu said, to Job, that God teaches us more, and makes us wiser than all the living creatures. ((Job 35:11)) - and God speaks to Job about creatures over whom apparently man has no power, who have no fear of man ((Job 41))

the wind and the waves obey Christ -- is it the same for all of us? where is it said that the whole earth is put under us? ((maybe i missed it; just no verse is coming to mind))
does every creature obey us; does every creature fear us? are all things in the earth given into our hands?

is the thing said to Adam something that changed when sin entered the world? do we misappropriate this; does the presence and futility of sin affect man's dominion?
Well there post, it seems you are asking the right questions. In Gen. 1:26 God indeed gave mankind dominion. Nothing has changed that. Because of the fall and sin we see an imbalance in the intended order of an earth properly ran. The dread of animals was a real problem in days gone by but we are getting a handle on that by understanding them better. As we run to and fro and our knowledge increases (Dan. 12:4) we could probably still do good by God creation.

That was the good news. The bad news is because of our warlike societies and the devil really running the political aspects of our greedy world system, we will never pull it off. Most of our new technology comes from warfare. In fact, it is prophesied that the world will once again become war torn. The United States called itself Christian from its very beginning which brought us a blessing. We are now straying from those Christian values. Look at our inner cities of late. Violence everywhere, blood touching blood.

It seems we haven't progressed as much as we think. We keep returning to the oppressive tactics of our warlike past. Where all things were put under is is here:

Heb. 2:6-9 "But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man."

So, what should this tell us? Just keep watching, Jesus isn't done with us yet. Oh yeah, prophecy also says He will come back just before we destroy all life on earth (Mark 13:20). :eek:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Gen 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
God gave man dominion Kingdom Authority) which he lost after the fall and Jesus brought us back what man lost.
Where in the bible does it state that man lost the dominion over the fish of the sea, the fowl of the air, and over the cattle?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Genesis 1:26
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

We see "in Our image"

The Hebrew grammar, preposition could read as

"Let us make man 'as' our image"

So if that's the case then God made us as is image.

If we are created as his image then it can fit with the command to have dominion according to our likeness.

Created as the image of God, and we are in his likeness.
As a result we are to reflect him here on earth and walk on earth like he would.

As he did with Adam & Eve before they fell.

Genesis 1:27
27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Just a side note and maybe a distraction.

Do those who deny Jesus being there in the beginning use the above verse to say Jesus was created?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I had dominion over the fishies in da river today.

I caught 'em, kissed 'em, and tossed 'em back!

Now, the worms didn't fare quite as well........sigh

Dec 12, 2013
I had dominion over the fishies in da river today.

I caught 'em, kissed 'em, and tossed 'em back!

Now, the worms didn't fare quite as well........sigh
And I exercised dominion over that 25.5 pound gobbler with a 12 inch beard last spring......wild turkey breast nuggets are scrumptious