Trust in the Lord, not man, but wait?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
The Bible says in many many places to trust the LORD, not to trust man.

I dont know if this is the devil whispering in my ear or not, but I had the thought:

"Isn't most what we base our faith on, based upon what some man said?"

Most we know ABOUT God, comes from men, men who lived in the past who we have never met, or men who live today and have taught us. What do we do? We as Christians trust that these men taught us the truth. We believe the Scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit. But when it is all said and done they were still penned down by men, and we have to trust these men that they were inspired by the Holy Spirit

I am not complaining or discrediting the Bible here I hope you don't get that impression.

My question is in regards to the phrase to Trust the Lord, not man. Why should we not trust man when most we know about the LORD comes from man?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
It is an advisory to apply the principles of critical thinking in our studies.

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
The Bible says because of the Holy Spirit's ministry to us we don't need men to teach us., we have Him. The Bible says God always uses His people in our lives "Pastors., preachers, teachers, evangelists etc...but it's Him who uses them to teach us so we can do the same for others. So many examples in the Bible about other believers being a help for us.

I think of how many of us older Christians have learned we cannot depend on people even believers as our source of information, comfort and security. We must depend on the Holy Spirit for all that. God gives us our daily bread Matt.6:11 Learning to see Jesus the Author and finisher of our faith:giggle: P.S. I'm at a disadvantage without my Bible and concordance to post those verses right at hand. I'm in another state this week & left my Bible on my desk! RATS!! Will have to go to Bible on line to find and post them. Have a wonderful day.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

I dont know if this is the devil whispering in my ear or not, but I had the thought:

Most we know ABOUT God, comes from men, men who lived in the past who we have never met, or men who live today and have taught us. What do we do? We as Christians trust that these men taught us the truth. We believe the Scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit. But when it is all said and done they were still penned down by men, and we have to trust these men that they were inspired by the Holy Spirit

I am not complaining or discrediting the Bible here I hope you don't get that impression.

My question is in regards to the phrase to Trust the Lord, not man. Why should we not trust man when most we know about the LORD comes from man?
No man knows the heart of God, however all who beleive are given to know Him in His Love. People talk a lot, but only when the Holy Spirit affirms what has been said may we believe .

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Jesus came so you can put your faith in the true God who showed himself to
Man

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:17-18‬ ‭

the gospel was sent into the world along with miracles and wonders so that people would understand the gospel is. Ot of man but of God

that’s why there were those signs and wonders mans word can’t raise the dead Gods can . Mans word can’t command the winds and waves God can , mans idea and doctrine can’t save a soul but Gods word can’t fail in salvstion

the gospel Jesus preached is where our focus needs to be if we want to know God we need to go to him because the world is against us in its ideas

“And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:19-20‬ ‭

To see and know the true God we have to look at the one who was raising the dead by his word , and commanding the spirits and commanding the winds and waves by his word

men don’t raise from the dead nor do they raise the dead themselves it’s why we need to stay with Christ

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Yes. This is why I decided to drop all of my pre-taught "bible" and began to read His entire Word in a timeline, chronological order, and allowed God to teach me His Truth. It wasn't until I allowed the Spirit to teach me, as the Bible clearly indicates, that I began to understand it in a reasonable, rational way.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yes. This is why I decided to drop all of my pre-taught "bible" and began to read His entire Word in a timeline, chronological order, and allowed God to teach me His Truth. It wasn't until I allowed the Spirit to teach me, as the Bible clearly indicates, that I began to understand it in a reasonable, rational way.
This is a good practice to weed out the divisive doctrines of man which have been dividing the Body Members of Jesus since Paul .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

As the bible is from God. The Bible is an exception.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why would you say this? There is not one person today who does not have access to the Bible in a multitude of languages. Everyone can go directly to the Word of God. Genuine faith is strictly in the Lord Jesus Christ, not what some man said.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Why would you say this? There is not one person today who does not have access to the Bible in a multitude of languages. Everyone can go directly to the Word of God. Genuine faith is strictly in the Lord Jesus Christ, not what some man said.
Mark 9:42 KJV - "And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea."

Men have been leading men astray since the beginning. Jeroboam is a prime example. If we aren't familiar with the name Jeroboam, well . . . we need to be. He's a big part of the Bible for a reason.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Funny, when I came to Jesus, Yeshua, I collectd and distributed Bibles to those who had none for three years. Stillo, I was left with no ne leftover. Now is this not a contradiction to some of the folks " posts? Yet it is the truth.

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
But that is my point, it is men in the past who penned the Bible. So you indeed go directly to man. Even if it is the word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit as the writers were, it still says, I Paul greet you the church of such and such.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
That still does not mean that everyone cannot go directly to Scripture. So that is just an excuse.
Utterly perplexing. This makes absolutely no sense in the least. Have you seriously studied the Old Testament? Are you familiar with the below Scripture?

2 Kings 22:8, 10-11 NKJV - "Then Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the scribe, "I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the LORD." And Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he read it." ... 10 "Then Shaphan the scribe showed the king, saying, "Hilkiah the priest has given me a book." And Shaphan read it before the king. Now it happened, when the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, that he tore his clothes."

Why did the great king Josiah tear his clothes? Because he realized that all of Israel had been without the Word of God. Jeroboam began a horrific "way" in Israel, and it continued to the point where men were renting space in the Temple . . . these were male prostitutes renting space in the Temple of God! And while Josiah knew that these practices were obviously evil, he was unaware of the full Law.

"So that is just an excuse."

So . . . no, it isn't an excuse . . . it is simple reality.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So . . . no, it isn't an excuse . . . it is simple reality.
No the reality is for today. We are not discussing ancient times. Today absolutely everyone has FREE ACCESS to the Bible through the Internet and their iPhones. So talking about what men teach, or do not teach, is a mere excuse. At the click of a button anyone can read or listen to the Word of God.

Any person who sincerely wants the truth and goes to the Word of God will have the truth revealed by God Himself.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
At the click of a button anyone can read or listen to the Word of God.
This is incredible. Are you not aware that even the Chinese have, or currently are, rewriting the Bible? And you expect the "lost" to know which translation to use?

I need to take a break from this place . . .

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand

There is a difference between trusting a commentary or particular personality.... and letting scripture, which is Gods Word through mens own style of writing, speak for itself.

For example, 'the church fathers' is a phrase often put as to following what they believe.. but what people are we meaning?

If it is say a Roman Catholic church Father.. they could be working for their salvation and worshipping Mary.. which are against scripture.

Or maybe they are church of England and teach you can baptise babies.

So the key thing is letting scripture speak for itself.