truth or grace

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
I have asked this on here before but I think this topic deserves a thread of it's own...

When bringing people to Christ, how should we do it? I know of some Christians who think we need to tell them the truth and nothing but the truth and if they don't like it, oh well so sad too bad. Others think just to tell them about Jesus's love and grace and forgiveness and they'll figure the rest out later.

I feel like there should be a happy middle...but I don't know where it is. I think that truth is nothing without grace and grace is nothing without truth.

The church has not done its job in training us in going out and preaching the Gospel. How do we talk to people in this day and age? For example how do you tell the gospel to a gay person or someone who is pro-choice?

I'm really confused. Help?

C

cmarieh

I have asked this on here before but I think this topic deserves a thread of it's own...

When bringing people to Christ, how should we do it? I know of some Christians who think we need to tell them the truth and nothing but the truth and if they don't like it, oh well so sad too bad. Others think just to tell them about Jesus's love and grace and forgiveness and they'll figure the rest out later.

I feel like there should be a happy middle...but I don't know where it is. I think that truth is nothing without grace and grace is nothing without truth.

The church has not done its job in training us in going out and preaching the Gospel. How do we talk to people in this day and age? For example how do you tell the gospel to a gay person or someone who is pro-choice?

Grace is considered "unmerited favor" we don't deserve it, but with God's love he sacrificed his only begotten son to die on the cross for every man, woman, and child. I do believe that we need to show God's grace to people that are homosexual or pro choice. Yes, we don't agree with it. But in order to show them God's grace and love, it needs to be in truth.
l

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I don't have a pat answer for you on how to bring people to Christ. From my own experience I would say that God brings the people to you and the Holy Spirit will give you the words to say. I would not focus on a particular sin in an individual but only say that God is love and wants to spend eternity with them. That He wants them to have life and to have it more abundantly. We all have a particular role to play in our humble service to the Lord. You have both sowers of the Word and reapers of the harvest.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
I mean like there are some Christians who think hitting people over the head (not literally) is the way to go and others think that telling them that they are ok the way they are is the way to go.

So where is the happy middle?

I used gay people and pro choice people as an example because those cases are pretty extreme where you can either be like "it's ok Jesus loves you" or be like 'REPENT OR PERISH!" make sense?

Jan 18, 2015
waddya mean? They are being saved from sin.
If Christians are "saved", why do they die? The wages of sin is death (Rom 6:23).

I am getting you to ask the right questions - The Socratic Method :cool:

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
If Christians are "saved", why do they die? The wages of sin is death (Rom 6:23).

Well death isn't exactly the final stop for Christians...we get to be alive with Christ.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia

Lets go and ask Paul the apostle what he thinks about this..oh that's right we cant, he's dead.

Sep 6, 2014
John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Romans 10:17

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

May 2, 2014

We should preach the Gospel of the Kingdom. Jesus said some will reject it. We shouldn't avoid proclaiming anything about the Kingdom. There's no fine print with the Gospel, give then the whole truth and let them decide.

Jan 18, 2015
We should preach the Gospel of the Kingdom. Jesus said some will reject it. We shouldn't avoid proclaiming anything about the Kingdom. There's no fine print with the Gospel, give then the whole truth and let them decide.
There is no scripture that people cannot call upon the Lord after physical death.

If that was true, what happened to all the people that died before Jesus?

K

kote

we gotta say the truth when we are asked. we need to preach with the power of the holy spirit because he will convince the world of sin, righteousness and judgment

May 2, 2014
There is no scripture that people cannot call upon the Lord after physical death.

I don't see how this pertains to what i posted. You're argument is from silence and is fallacious. It also assumes that one is alive after death. Isn't that a logical fallacy? The idea that the spirit or soul live on after the body dies is from Greek philosophy and Gnosticism, not Scripture.

3Scoreand10

There is no scripture that people cannot call upon the Lord after physical death

This man needs to be ignored.
Everything he knows and says about God's Word is wrong.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
I usually contrast the ways of the world with the ways Him, showing that all this chaos is caused by people ls rejection of His ways, show some prophecies in action, and then speak upon accepting Him and His mercy, it's had to find a person that hasn't heard of "the blood of Jesus" so if I only say that I usually don't get anywhere, sometimes even laughed at because they think im bringing the same "repeat after me prayer, tada your saved" kind of thing, but to actually illustrate the world through the book kind of "bring it to reality" and show it's not just a book,..... (not saying I would fully know one way or other other as He does it)

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Paul in his letters said that he only preached Jesus Christ and the cross - (meaning what he died for). Only when we lead people to Jesus and his open arms of grace will they begin to understand more. Because when they receive Jesus as their savior, they will then receive the Holy Spirit who will open their eyes to not only the effects of their sin, but to the immense love the Father has for them.

All their growth will then come from their relationship with Christ. We only want them to see HIM.