Turning bitterness into forgiveness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida

This is a topic I’m actively working on with the Most High Heavenly Father ❤️ this morning I had a visualization of taking my bitterness boat out of the harbor, sending it to sea and watching it gets smashed to smithereens in a shipwreck. Powerful! I imagine pouring Jesus Christ’s everlasting and pure love into the roots of my bitterness and dissolving them. Every day I pray to God to help me remove any lingering bitterness from soured romantic relationships in my past. I know it’s holding me back.

I would like to share the following from a plan I’m working on on the you version Bible app. Perhaps it will help someone else.

The Root of Bitterness
by Rocky Fleming
Day 2: Identify the Source
The Root of Bitterness does not come naturally. It is like an infectious disease that is introduced to a healthy body, such as a viral or bacterial infection. It had a host, a culprit, an aggressor to infect us. This culprit is likely a person or event that contaminates us with some kind of disappointment or hurt. The offense may or may not be intentional, for people hurt us, anger us, disappoint us, betray us, lie to us, slander us, scheme against us, and in doing so, infect us with their own root of bitterness.

They may not intend to do this. You may not intend to do it. But that is where it begins, and it happens to everyone sometime in our life. We cannot be exempted from this infection. I wish it weren’t so, for I would want all of my loved ones to avoid this pain and serious challenge in their life. I would want most of all that I do not inflict these hurts, but I have done so and I likely will again without realizing it, for we are all flawed creatures who wound and who are wounded. It is not the fact of if it will happen, for it is going to happen to us.

Rather, it is what we do with it when it happens that is critical, for you see a healthy body will fight to reject any infection that comes into it as a natural defense. It might take us down for a few days, but in the end a healthy body wins out. But not when an infection incubates and grows stronger because there is no resistance in a body that is weak or malnourished. It is the same when the poisonous root of bitterness takes root and then our life becomes entangled by it. This is when damage is making its way to the surface of our life and infecting others. This is when intensive care is required to keep it from infecting others and spreading the disease. It becomes a priority.

It is said that bitterness is unforgiveness that has fermented. This likely is caused because someone has emotionally taken something from us and we cannot get it back. We want revenge, but we either cannot extract it or we will not do so and it then burns within us. We seethe within and unforgiveness incubates into bitterness. It grows bigger and we become more justified by how we feel. This continues to be fuel to a poisonous, noxious flame within us and our life is corrupted by the bitterness.

There is a reason that Forgive, Forgiven, Forgiveness and Forgiving is mentioned up to 150 times in the Bible. It is the effort of God to forgive us our sins against Him, and it is the effort of Jesus’s disciple to do the same with people who have sinned against us. It requires effort. We do not have to feel like it or want to do it. As an example, I have had numerous surgeries and life saving medications that I did not feel like taking nor did I want them. But my desire for good health and a life unhindered by disease required them. It is the same with forgiveness.

We might feel justified by our anger because someone stole an emotional part of us and by not granting forgiveness, in some way, we get even with him or her. But in seeing it this way instead of obeying Jesus with granting forgiveness, we nurture this unforgiveness into bitterness, and it is this condition that will hurt us more than any person can. It is not worth it and it will lead to a bitter fruit that many will reproduce because of our influence.

To eradicate a root of bitterness, we need to identify the source that started it and begin the process of forgiveness at this point. Then the root starves and it eventually dries up. There is some clean-up that we will address. But, we must start at the root before we can deal with the fruit of bitterness.

“looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:15‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I have complete faith in the most beautiful Elohim that He can help me with this because I do not want it. I release this burden on to the Lord. Thank you Jesus Christ for saving me. Amen God bless.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
““Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness And rivers in the desert.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:18-19‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
AMEN

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

This is a topic I’m actively working on with the Most High Heavenly Father ❤️ this morning I had a visualization of taking my bitterness boat out of the harbor, sending it to sea and watching it gets smashed to smithereens in a shipwreck. Powerful! I imagine pouring Jesus Christ’s everlasting and pure love into the roots of my bitterness and dissolving them. Every day I pray to God to help me remove any lingering bitterness from soured romantic relationships in my past. I know it’s holding me back.

I would like to share the following from a plan I’m working on on the you version Bible app. Perhaps it will help someone else.

The Root of Bitterness
by Rocky Fleming
The Root of Bitterness does not come naturally. It is like an infectious disease that is introduced to a healthy body, such as a viral or bacterial infection. It had a host, a culprit, an aggressor to infect us. This culprit is likely a person or event that contaminates us with some kind of disappointment or hurt. The offense may or may not be intentional, for people hurt us, anger us, disappoint us, betray us, lie to us, slander us, scheme against us, and in doing so, infect us with their own root of bitterness.

They may not intend to do this. You may not intend to do it. But that is where it begins, and it happens to everyone sometime in our life. We cannot be exempted from this infection. I wish it weren’t so, for I would want all of my loved ones to avoid this pain and serious challenge in their life. I would want most of all that I do not inflict these hurts, but I have done so and I likely will again without realizing it, for we are all flawed creatures who wound and who are wounded. It is not the fact of if it will happen, for it is going to happen to us.

Rather, it is what we do with it when it happens that is critical, for you see a healthy body will fight to reject any infection that comes into it as a natural defense. It might take us down for a few days, but in the end a healthy body wins out. But not when an infection incubates and grows stronger because there is no resistance in a body that is weak or malnourished. It is the same when the poisonous root of bitterness takes root and then our life becomes entangled by it. This is when damage is making its way to the surface of our life and infecting others. This is when intensive care is required to keep it from infecting others and spreading the disease. It becomes a priority.

It is said that bitterness is unforgiveness that has fermented. This likely is caused because someone has emotionally taken something from us and we cannot get it back. We want revenge, but we either cannot extract it or we will not do so and it then burns within us. We seethe within and unforgiveness incubates into bitterness. It grows bigger and we become more justified by how we feel. This continues to be fuel to a poisonous, noxious flame within us and our life is corrupted by the bitterness.

There is a reason that Forgive, Forgiven, Forgiveness and Forgiving is mentioned up to 150 times in the Bible. It is the effort of God to forgive us our sins against Him, and it is the effort of Jesus’s disciple to do the same with people who have sinned against us. It requires effort. We do not have to feel like it or want to do it. As an example, I have had numerous surgeries and life saving medications that I did not feel like taking nor did I want them. But my desire for good health and a life unhindered by disease required them. It is the same with forgiveness.

We might feel justified by our anger because someone stole an emotional part of us and by not granting forgiveness, in some way, we get even with him or her. But in seeing it this way instead of obeying Jesus with granting forgiveness, we nurture this unforgiveness into bitterness, and it is this condition that will hurt us more than any person can. It is not worth it and it will lead to a bitter fruit that many will reproduce because of our influence.

To eradicate a root of bitterness, we need to identify the source that started it and begin the process of forgiveness at this point. Then the root starves and it eventually dries up. There is some clean-up that we will address. But, we must start at the root before we can deal with the fruit of bitterness.

“looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;”

I have complete faith in the most beautiful Elohim that He can help me with this because I do not want it. I release this burden on to the Lord. Thank you Jesus Christ for saving me. Amen God bless.
Unforgiveness is a blight on the Christian's life. It hinders his prayers and his fellowship with other Christians. If not dealt with, it can lead to physical problems, especially arthritis. There is truth behind the expression, "bitter and twisted".

Diagnosing the problem is fairly easy. Solving it, not at all easy. For those who struggle (and who does not?) I would suggest the following article. The man who wrote this lost his family and substantial business when his wife left him for their accountant. She cleaned out the bank account and the property settlement left him with the clothes on his back. The trauma was instrumental in leading him to Jesus. After he was born again, his church told him that he had to forgive. He could not. He sought the Lord and this article is what the Lord showed him.

https://www.christianlife.org.au/can-you-forgive-from-your-heart

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Unforgiveness is a blight on the Christian's life. It hinders his prayers and his fellowship with other Christians. If not dealt with, it can lead to physical problems, especially arthritis. There is truth behind the expression, "bitter and twisted".

Diagnosing the problem is fairly easy. Solving it, not at all easy. For those who struggle (and who does not?) I would suggest the following article. The man who wrote this lost his family and substantial business when his wife left him for their accountant. She cleaned out the bank account and the property settlement left him with the clothes on his back. The trauma was instrumental in leading him to Jesus. After he was born again, his church told him that he had to forgive. He could not. He sought the Lord and this article is what the Lord showed him.

Thank you for sharing this! I appreciate your reply. It’s not easy, that’s why I have to hand it up to the Lord. Daily! Only He can help. I’m noticing subtle differences, I have faith He will keep my heart tender because I want to hand it to Jesus Christ pure. I do not want blemish on my heart or soul. But we have to work for it through Him!

What you said about arthritis, wow! I’ve started to notice a bit of arthritis in one of my fingers, it helps to go on an anti-inflammatory diet, but I never thought of putting those two together. Even more reason for me to work on this with the Most High
✝️♥️

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
One good sign we forgive and forgive from the heart is true and simple. It comes from our Savior.
When you feel you have not truly forgiven someone, ask yourself, ""Do I want this person harmed or even dead?" You will probably realize you do not. Now do you know if you love this person? If you want that person to burn in hell, then that is wrong, but when youru realize you do not want such a thing..you have forgiven.

Now just because yo do not want that peron to go to hell nor do you want thaqt person dead does not translate as approving of that person's behavior, especially if it is sinful. You pray for that peron's soul but not for that person's sin for doing this latter is participating in tha one's sin.

We never have a problem when thinking in terms of the brethren,and of friends who may not yet believe, but those we forgive leave an essence of guilt for us when we do not approve of their life and lif=style. Do not be tricked by that, for that is the favorite trick of the enemy.

The mere fact that you have come here to inquire about this says you most likely have already forgiven, yet are not aware.

May God bless youand your enemies. Ahh, but this does not mean Iwould have your enemies prevail upon you. Be at peace in Jesus Yeshua for this is what He wants for you.

Apr 12, 2021

The Root of Bitterness
by Rocky Fleming

Amen and amen. Forgiveness and casting off bitterness releases an ever so unnecessary burden carried only by the one who refuses to forgive and fails to move beyond past hurts.

Cast all your burdens on the Lord and He will sustain you. Psalm 55; Matthew 11; 1 Peter 5.
God's promises are eternal. Amen. ❤

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

The Root of Bitterness
by Rocky Fleming

the verse you quoted there sort of holds the keys to salvation in the ones around it in that repentance is key

“Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:12-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I enjoyed your post was a beautiful writing there’s also a key regarding following after peace and holiness that is where assurance of salvation is found

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
One good sign we forgive and forgive from the heart is true and simple. It comes from our Savior.
When you feel you have not truly forgiven someone, ask yourself, ""Do I want this person harmed or even dead?" You will probably realize you do not. Now do you know if you love this person? If you want that person to burn in hell, then that is wrong, but when youru realize you do not want such a thing..you have forgiven.

Now just because yo do not want that peron to go to hell nor do you want thaqt person dead does not translate as approving of that person's behavior, especially if it is sinful. You pray for that peron's soul but not for that person's sin for doing this latter is participating in tha one's sin.

We never have a problem when thinking in terms of the brethren,and of friends who may not yet believe, but those we forgive leave an essence of guilt for us when we do not approve of their life and lif=style. Do not be tricked by that, for that is the favorite trick of the enemy.

The mere fact that you have come here to inquire about this says you most likely have already forgiven, yet are not aware.

May God bless youand your enemies. Ahh, but this does not mean Iwould have your enemies prevail upon you. Be at peace in Jesus Yeshua for this is what He wants for you.
Wow there’s some words of wisdom. Perhaps I am coming along further than I think! God is great! I appreciate your reply.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Another sign that you are 'holding' a grudge is that you keep them on IGNORE forever. lol.

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida

I was just now able to read that article in it’s entirety. I feel light as a feather in my heart. What a beautiful article you shared. It’s exactly what I needed to read. Thank you. I love Jesus Christ, my Savior. Without Him I am dead! My heart is free and light now. Amen amen amen Glory to God now and forever ❤️

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
ha! Well I deleted all of my social media a few months ago so everybody is permanently ignored I suppose
I've 'ignored' social media altogether, unless of course one considers Christian Forums as social media. :)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We forgive because He first forgave us.
If we live in unforgiveness it is most likely because we have not grasped the magnitude of His work at Calvary in forgiving us.

1 John 4:19 (NASB) We love, because He first loved us.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Here is the greatest movie I have seen on bitterness to forgiveness called Amish Grace, about that Amish schoolhouse shooting a number of years ago and the forgiveness that ensued...

If you don't speak Sinhala don't worry aboyt the subtitles. (No violent scenes)

TenderHeart

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Here is the greatest movie I have seen on bitterness to forgiveness called Amish Grace, about that Amish schoolhouse shooting a number of years ago and the forgiveness that ensued...

If you don't speak Sinhala don't worry aboyt the subtitles. (No violent scenes)
Oh wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing this. I will watch it this weekend

There’s a large Amish community in my town where I live, Sarasota Florida. It’s fun to see them on the beach and riding their bikes all over town.