Ultimate Questions - Can Religion Help?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richie_2uk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Okay, I have to be the ignorant guy here and ask this.

Isn't Christianity a religion?
 
The word Religion has two sides to it. One is a pretentious pompous piety; a living of creed instead of a relationship founded simply in Jesus Christ. But Religion can also have a doctrinal aspect to it too. As an example, when we say, "Are you dieting?" What we mean many times assumpively is that is are we trying to lose weight, but the facts could also mean, we are simply eating and this is the list; period. Because everything, and anything we do in way of eating can be concluded as the diet we are currently partaking in. "Diet simply means what we are eating, despite it's optional meanings in it. The same can be said about doctrine. We all have doctrine in our lives it's just what it is as a result of what we do.Doctrine in Religion is not the importance of God but it is in the walk with Jesus. To be Religious usually means to have that pompous piety, but it is also safe to say that our religion is also only the doctrines or creeds found in the walk in faith with the correct foundation in Christ Jesus. In that way, placing the relationship to Him and God first, the other then has value. If it is the other way around, and creed takes the front seat in our walk, it is one of the things Jesus was angry about the most. Misrepresentation of Himself, thru a false reality of righteousness.
I agree, but as an aside, the creeds those religious leaders had in Jesus' day were man made traditions for the most part and not from God's Word.
 
Except for the pure and undefiled religion found in James the Lord condemned religion as it binds the hands of men behind their backs to man made theologies that have been elevated by men and so called churches to the very word and ways of God....blind leaders of the blind...white washed coffins filled with the bones of dead men....
 
I appreciate the responses. I've been leaning on the literal definitions of Christianity and religion, and consequently I'm having a hard time seeing the actual divide between the two. Apparently there's a perspective that stands apart from these definitions that I'm not as acquainted with.

Like I said: being the ignorant guy here! But getting my ducks lined up thanks to you folks.
 
There was someone here for a while who used to talk about Jesus as Truth a lot, and God as Reality. He was well grounded in Scripture but had a very unorthodox approach, working many different lines of thought into his expositions. I am pretty sure I knew him under a similar user name on the first site where I witnessed for four years, until the site underwent a complete overhaul four years ago, and the forums as they were, were all removed. Unfortunately, he did not last long here, and was banned within a short time of joining. Lots of people kind of thought he was crazy, but I liked his presentations in as much as I could understand them. They were certainly different than anything I had ever seen before :)
 
This is the meaning of the word "Religion" in James 1:27.

53.53
σέβομαι; σεβάζομαι; εὐσεβέω[SUP]a[/SUP]: to express in attitude and ritual one’s allegiance to and regard for deity—‘to worship, to venerate.’
σέβομαι: παρὰ τὸν νόμον ἀναπείθει οὗτος τοὺς ἀνθρώπους σέβεσθαι τὸν θεόν
‘this man tried to persuade people to worship God in a way that is against the law’ Ac 18:13.
σεβάζομαι: καὶ ἐσεβάσθησαν καὶ ἐλάτρευσαν τῇ κτίσει παρὰ τὸν κτίσαντα
‘and worshiped and venerated what has been created instead of the Creator’ Ro 1:25.
εὐσεβέω
[SUP]a[/SUP]: ὃ οὖν ἀγνοοῦντες εὐσεβεῖτε, τοῦτο ἐγὼ καταγγέλλω ὑμῖν ‘what you worship, even though you do not know it, is what I (now) proclaim to you’ Ac 17:23.
In a number of languages worship is expressed in an idiomatic manner, for example, ‘to bow down before,’ ‘to lower one’s head before,’ ‘to raise one’s arms to,’ ‘to sing to,’ ‘to honor.’ It is important in selecting an expression for worship to employ a term
 
Religion is a no no. It is all about a relationship with Jesus Christ. That is what John 3:16 is all about. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on Him shall not perish but have ever lasting life. Into my heart, into my heart, come into my heart Lord Jesus .Come in today, come into stay, come into my heart Lord Jesus. My walk with Him these 65 years has been worth it all. Yes, hard times, sad time, difficult times, pain times, but without Him I couldn't servive. Oh, how I need Him daily. I love Him and rely on His love for me. Look up for your redemption draweth neigh. I will put you on my prayer list and praise list. You are loved. Write me. Bonnie77
 
  • Like
Reactions: Utah
I am new here so I don't know the fella you were talking about. I am 71 going on 30. We have 4 children and 17 grandchildren.
Would like to talk to you about our Lord Jesus or anything you may have a question about. Write me if you choose to. My love all because of what Jesus has done for us. Bonnie77
 
I am a grandma of 17 grandchildren. Love them dearly. They are all christians just some of them don't know it yet. Grandma is praying for each one and knows the Lord has a special plan for each one. Religion is rules ...Jesus Christ is a relationship with Him. He walks with me and He talks with me. Through His word and His soft sweet voice of the Holy Spirit. I couldn't and wouldn't walk without Him being my Lord God, friend, and Savior.Any questions or want to chat I would love to be a grandma figure in your life. God's blessings and love, Alaska Gramma or Bonnie77
 
I am new here so I don't know the fella you were talking about. I am 71 going on 30. We have 4 children and 17 grandchildren.
Would like to talk to you about our Lord Jesus or anything you may have a question about. Write me if you choose to. My love all because of what Jesus has done for us. Bonnie77
Welcome to CC! :)

welcome.gif
 
What can wash away my sin, nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make me pure with in, nothing but the blood of Jesus.
It is all about Jesus and what He will and do for us. I love my walk with Him for over 60 years and 17 grandchildren. Praise the Lord now and forever. Alaska Gramma or Bonnie 77
 
Religion is the most important facet to reality. Everyone has a religion whether they acknowledge it or not. There is only one true religion, just like there is only one true Almighty God. All other religions are false and are evil. It's that simple. Indeed no man is perfect, except Jesus, according to the religion of Christianity, which is pretty solid proof for it being the only true religion. It's not the religion in and of itself that saves the man, but the God of the true religion of Christianity that has the power to save and forgive.
 
Religion is the most important facet to reality. Everyone has a religion whether they acknowledge it or not. There is only one true religion, just like there is only one true Almighty God. All other religions are false and are evil. It's that simple. Indeed no man is perfect, except Jesus, according to the religion of Christianity, which is pretty solid proof for it being the only true religion. It's not the religion in and of itself that saves the man, but the God of the true religion of Christianity that has the power to save and forgive.

Semantics, my brother. You're talking semantics.

Jesus is all we need; He restores our relationship with the Father. Remember, relationship, not religion.