Unconditional Love?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
I suppose it means to love someone regardless of how circumstances, conditions, or situations may change; "For better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part".

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Loving a person whether they are unlovely or unloving or even your enemy. That's how God loves sinful humanity, all at enmity with God.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
...But I want to know your answer sir... :) you maybe know more about unconditional love
This is a very important issue in which, as you can see, nobody seems to be able to answer. It is too important to just spell it out because 'easy come, easy go'. That is why Jesus used parables. He knew that those who can figure them out were breaking through their own bondages of self (the visible) to see the spiritual aspects of life (the invisible). Those that grasped Jesus's parable have never forgotten it and have actually incorporated the new reference to life in their lives.

I am helping those who respond, but still off the mark, by adding extra questions. If they could answer them truthfully, as much as what is the truth about unconditional love, they may open the door to find the answer for themselves.

Christianity is based on John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Your answers, all your true answers, come from living a way of truth. The truth about your self is the starting point. That is why my questions have been asking the person to dig deeper about themselves to find their truth.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
I suppose it means to love someone regardless of how circumstances, conditions, or situations may change; "For better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part".
What is it that you love that makes it unconditional?

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
Loving a person whether they are unlovely or unloving or even your enemy. That's how God loves sinful humanity, all at enmity with God.
What part of humanity does God love? Surely not our sinful nature.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
What part of humanity does God love? Surely not our sinful nature.
He loves sinful people who have a sinful nature.
He hates the nature but loves the person.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
A fantasy! No such thing.
Diamonds do exist in the rough. Just because you have not found one yet does not mean they don't exist.
Sometimes we spend a lifetime looking in the wrong places.
People still think that the kingdom of God is without instead of within, or visible instead of invisible to our human senses.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Three times Jesus asks Peter "Do you love me"

John 21:15-17
Jesus Restores Peter
15 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”
16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Tend My sheep.”
17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”
And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.

The first two times Jesus says do you Agape me (unconditional love) Peter responds with I Phileo you (a friendly love)

The 3rd time Jesus asks "Do you Phileo me? Peter gets upset and says " You know I Phileo you"

Then Jesus said to him "feed my sheep"

It seems to me that Jesus accepted this Phileo love but affirming him in that and telling him "Look after mine"
Knowing Peter would do this then Phileo love starts to be replaced with Agape love.

Peter denied Jesus 3 times, then Jesus asks him 3 times do you love me?

Unconditional love is not natural to us but as we walk with Jesus Phileo love is replaced by Agape love.

Love is not a feeling but an act of will

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
...Unconditional love is not natural to us but as we walk with Jesus Phileo love is replaced by Agape love.

Love is not a feeling but an act of will
You can feel Agape Love.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
Who is the person he loves?
I said, "What is it about the person He loves?"
A person is an individual with a personality. The personality is based on their belief systems (both true and untrue, good and bad, etc).
In this regard, to rephrase the question: "What is it about the personality He loves?"

Feb 28, 2016
Jesus' Love is unique, many in their lifetime will not experience this, until the
second resurrection, when they are blessed with their 'first chance'...

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
A fairytale. God does not practice unconditional love. “Jacob He loved, Esau He hated.” God may love His enemies enough to give them a chance, but if they don’t meet those conditions they go to hell for all eternity. We are to love our enemies with agape love (if your enemy is hungry feed him), but we are not to be yoked with the unrighteous (like David and Jonathan were best friends). Love, and levels of love are conditional.

“What fellowship can light have with darkness?”

“Especially those belonging to the household of faith.”

Last edited:

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
A fairytale. God does not practice unconditional love.
I'd agree... God's love is unconditionally offered, but not unconditionally given. “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21).. Sounds like a condition to me.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I'd agree... God's love is unconditionally offered, but not unconditionally given. “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21).. Sounds like a condition to me.
Life ever after is conditional. Is God's love?

Punishment is exacted out of love.
God's justice is perfect, and merciful.