Unconditional Love?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
No. Really it isn't. Truth is truth for all people, or it isn't truth.

The problem this little one has is he thinks he is truth.
I am talking about truth, which does not mean I think I am truth.
If you were talking about Jesus Christ, does that mean that you think you are Jesus Christ.
I am sure you would say 'no' to that.

A

AuntieAnt

What you have described above is called conformity.
Matthew 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
Those that conform to the majority of this world, including false or fearful Christians, will follow the majority. These are on the broad way and go through the wide gate.

As you said, "It ain't us. It's you!"
Yes, I am the only one talking about truth and unconditional love. The rest are about to through me off the cliff, so to speak.
You're not the only one. Remember Elijah in 1 Kings 18?

I honestly didn't know what you were getting at initially. So many trolls come in and attempt to wreak havoc for fun, it's hard to have a reasonable discussion at times.

But I am starting to see what you're saying about the truth of God's love vs what mere man can offer. The Lord is so paradoxical to my impulsive, carnal, intellectual, theological, egotistical thinking. It takes a miraculous intervention of the Holy Spirit for me to even see that. What unfathomable grace and mercy has our Almighty God!

A

AuntieAnt

I am talking about truth, which does not mean I think I am truth.
If you were talking about Jesus Christ, does that mean that you think you are Jesus Christ.
I am sure you would say 'no' to that.
You asked previously what it is about our personality that God loves. I honestly couldn't tell you because I'm amazed He wants me in His presence at all. Even so, as soon as I am lost in Him, it's not a problem anymore. The feelings of inadequacy, the fear of displeasing Him, the sorrow of shame are all gone when my eyes are on God. So I assume His unconditional love is not only something, it's Someone. I think God is Love, of a truth. And I'm not God, but I am His temple and He can love through me. That's the only way I can love someone unconditionally, is when it's literally God at work in me.

Does that make sense?

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
You asked previously what it is about our personality that God loves. I honestly couldn't tell you because I'm amazed He wants me in His presence at all. Even so, as soon as I am lost in Him, it's not a problem anymore. The feelings of inadequacy, the fear of displeasing Him, the sorrow of shame are all gone when my eyes are on God. So I assume His unconditional love is not only something, it's Someone. I think God is Love, of a truth. And I'm not God, but I am His temple and He can love through me. That's the only way I can love someone unconditionally, is when it's literally God at work in me.

Does that make sense?
That makes a lot of sense.

Through our belief systems we harbor both truths and untruths. Whichever one we focus on fills our heart. God knows what is in our heart, and God only loves what is true in our heart.

Basically, we are either loving or fearing; or truthful or deceptive. There is no in between,like a half-truth (which is deceptive). Truth causes a person to be loving, and love causes a person to be true. While a person remains true to the core of Being, they are loving unconditionally. Unconditional truth leads to unconditional love.

When we truly let go, to let God, we become willing to be exposed and vulnerable (humbled) to God's will on us. We have vacated our heart / temple for God and Jesus Christ to enter. Suddenly we feel God's love in our heart. The best thing we can do is return it, by loving the Love that loves us.

This is expressing unconditional love.

justjess

Jan 8, 2018
To me, it is loving that person no matter how much they have hurt you. To stand by them and be supportive even if you do not always agree. (If there is abuse then it should not apply, you can still have love for them, but do not stay.)

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
No. Really it isn't. Truth is truth for all people, or it isn't truth.

The problem this little one has is he thinks he is truth.
Facts are absolute and indisputable. Facts may lead to a belief in a truth. Truth never leads to a fact. Truths are subjective and only known from ones own point of view.

N

NoNameMcgee

In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
Hmmmmmmmmm....
sounds like what ever the type of relationship

unconditional love would be love without conditions

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Okay everybody, don't beat yourself up when you fall short of unconditional love on the giving or receiving end. It's the special kind of love ONLY God has.

The Good News, He wants to share it with us!!! Woooohoo! He wants it operating in us and through us! So, I say, "Go ahead, Lord! Let Your unconditional love fill us and overflow to others!!":eek:

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
Facts are absolute and indisputable. Facts may lead to a belief in a truth. Truth never leads to a fact. Truths are subjective and only known from ones own point of view.
Tommy, you are basing your answer on worldly philosophy. If you prefer to see life based on worldly knowledge (body-mind) then you will not understand a spiritual philosophy based on spiritual knowing (soul-mind). That is the difference between what I am say and what you are saying. Both don't mix. God knows that and that is why the bible is based on us using faith and not just on reasoning.

As long as you solely rely on reasoning, what I have been talking about will remain non-sense to you.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Tommy, you are basing your answer on worldly philosophy. If you prefer to see life based on worldly knowledge (body-mind) then you will not understand a spiritual philosophy based on spiritual knowing (soul-mind). That is the difference between what I am say and what you are saying. Both don't mix. God knows that and that is why the bible is based on us using faith and not just on reasoning.

As long as you solely rely on reasoning, what I have been talking about will remain non-sense to you.
What you write remains nonsense to everyone but you.

If we improperly apply words, such as "Truth" it loses all meaning.

Maybe you're the only one who knows the "truth." Maybe we should worsip at your altar?

D

Depleted

Hmmmmmmmmm....
sounds like what ever the type of relationship

unconditional love would be love without conditions
(I figure I can talk to you, and you'll at least listen before disagreeing. lol)
Doesn't your love have conditions? Mine does.
My conditions:
1. Don't kill me.
2. Don't beat me up.
3. Don't use me as a door mat.

Probably more conditions, but those are the ones that come to my mind, while my mind isn't working very well.

God also had a condition. "Perfect." "Be ye perfect."

But he knows we can't/won't, so he fulfilled that condition by being born, living a perfect life, and then dying in our stead.

That's what I mean when I say love has conditions. Even God's love.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
What you write remains nonsense to everyone but you.

If we improperly apply words, such as "Truth" it loses all meaning.

Maybe you're the only one who knows the "truth." Maybe we should worsip at your altar?
1 Corinthians 2:12-14
12. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.
13. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.
14. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

A

AuntieAnt

1 Corinthians 2:12-14
12. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.
13. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.
14. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
I Corinthians 3: 1-3 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. [SUP]2 [/SUP]I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; [SUP]3 [/SUP]for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?

I get what you’re saying, brother. I used to think (that was my first mistake :rolleyes: lol) that I could reason the things of God intellectually yet would get so frustrated not quite being able to work it out in my life. Loving my enemy, for example. I made many attempts to do so but my own heart exposed me because I still felt hate for my enemy. I was a babe and not able to receive the meat of the Word.

And that’s the state of the flesh, and it won’t ever change because the flesh can’t receive anything from God. God is Spirit & Truth. Only the Spirit of Jesus Christ living in me can testify to that. My flesh continues to struggle daily to understand and even tries to connect with God and with people around me. But my flesh always fails me.

And when it fails, when I have no resources of my own, that’s when the grace of Jesus Christ abounds and I can see. When I surrender my will, my own understanding, I have put on the mind of Christ and can see Him, He is the Truth. When we see Christ, we see Truth. And it's a daily dying to self (own understanding), isn't it?

I cannot love my enemy unconditionally the way God loves. But when I surrender my will, when I give up my life (my right to my own understanding), I see God. And by the grace of God I see there is no enemy and therefore, no reason to hate. That’s a miracle! \:D/

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
...Loving my enemy, for example. I made many attempts to do so but my own heart exposed me because I still felt hate for my enemy...
I cannot love my enemy unconditionally the way God loves. But when I surrender my will, when I give up my life (my right to my own understanding), I see God. And by the grace of God I see there is no enemy and therefore, no reason to hate. That’s a miracle! \:D/
Great post AuntieAnt.
Also a great example given about loving thy enemy. I agree, it is a hard one to grasp and requires awareness of the spiritual to do so.
It is the flesh part of us that is so needy for survival and love. Yet the spirit side already contains both.

Unfortunately, most humans live by the flesh, a fear-based existence, which causes all the greed, deceptions, conditionality, etc., in their life. Whenever they experience life by the spirit, a love-based existence, they become generous, honest, unconditional, etc. In other words, at any one moment, we are either living a fear-based or love-based existence. Both serve different masters, both cannot co-exist. It's one or the other.

So, our enemy is the opposite to where we are basing life on. If it is love, then the enemy is fear, and visa-versa. If we are from the spiritual point of reference (love and truth), what we see is that the enemy is living a life of fear. We know what it is like to live that way, and it is indeed a heavy yoke to bare. Out of love, we empathize with the enemy's truth of being fearful. So, instead of being fearful of the enemy, we become empathic as if we were dealing with a scared child (even if they have a weapon). We still protect ourselves, but stay in touch with the truth of the matter, i.e., they are scared.

Also, our enemy is more likely to be more honest about us. Many so-called friends only tell us what we may want to hear, to keep the peace and friendship going. But since the enemy has nothing to lose (friendship wise), they are more likely to be more truthful. In this regard, our enemy is really not the enemy.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes to all, but you are using me to justify your conditional position which is exactly what conditional love is - exploitation.
Just because you do not grasp what I am saying does not mean it is untrue. It only means it is not true according to Magenta.
I am not using you for anything. You initially appeared to disagree with me, and tried to correct me, so I showed you where I was coming from, the points of which you agreed to all, and now you turn around and try to bite me again. You have a problem, and it ain't me.

N

NoNameMcgee

(I figure I can talk to you, and you'll at least listen before disagreeing. lol)
Doesn't your love have conditions? Mine does.
My conditions:
1. Don't kill me.
2. Don't beat me up.
3. Don't use me as a door mat.

Probably more conditions, but those are the ones that come to my mind, while my mind isn't working very well.

God also had a condition. "Perfect." "Be ye perfect."

But he knows we can't/won't, so he fulfilled that condition by being born, living a perfect life, and then dying in our stead.

That's what I mean when I say love has conditions. Even God's love.
well i listened
:p

so youre saying you wont love someone who did those things?

lets say you beat me up and use me as a door mat
:D

id love you still
but id definitely take the appropriate actions and distance myself from you

and i surely wouldnt trust you

id have to love you from afar

(assuming i have unconditional love)

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
I'm sorry, but you have missed the point.

Please answer yes or no to the following:

Did Christ die for us while we were yet sinners?

Does God first love us?

Did God so love the world that He gave His Son?

Is it true that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life?​

Do those whose names are not written in the Lamb's book of life pass into the second death?

If it is too difficult to just answer yes or no to the previous questions, just let me know :) You needn't go off on any other explanations or whatever it is you think you are doing in trying to justify your position.
...so I showed you where I was coming from, the points of which you agreed to all, and now you turn around and try to bite me again. You have a problem, and it ain't me.
To tell a person where you are coming from is by being truthful by explanation, not by asking questions.
...You needn't go off on any other explanations or whatever it is you think you are doing in trying to justify your position.
You are saying I only want answers of yes or no, but I don't want to hear the truth about why I am asking questions (of your supposedly 'showing where I was coming from'.
... and now you turn around and try to bite me again. You have a problem, and it ain't me.
I am only responding honestly.

As Cortes lead his tall ships to the coast of the Aztec Empire, the Aztec Doctor pointed out the approaching ships. But nobody could see them, because non of then had ever seen a tall sailing ship before. Then the Doctor told them to search for the wake in the water. Suddenly everybody could saw the tall ships.

Perhaps my problem is finding a wake for you to awake to.

Aug 8, 2017
I agree with Dino. Humans are imperfect. As is their love. As humans our love has a breaking point. It may be very high for some, but it's there.
But to love unconditionally is simply never loving them less, no matter what. Unconditional love is Not making yourself a doormat or a victim. God loved Jesus unconditionally yet still turned His back on him when it was needed.
Unconditional love is not easy to give because it requires selflessness and the ability to do what's right, even when it hurts.
My love is nowhere near perfect, but I love my ex-gf. She felt she had to end things for reasons outside of our relationship. I want to show up at her door and say I'm not leaving and we'll work it out (romantically not creepy stalker haha)
But she needs what she needs. No matter how much it hurts I have to leave her alone.

It seems like you have something specific in mind and are being vague. Difficulty in that is we all will answer through the filter of our experiences and that may not be a reflection on what you're contending with. If you need advice, just ask. It's much easier than vague questions you hope the answers to will magically apply.
That's not true the love a parent has for their child could be unconditional. I love my children unconditionally, NO MATTER WHAT they do that love will never cease.
Doesn't mean they don't get on my nerves or that I will condone everything they do

Jan 25, 2018
Unconditional love

Love - desiring the best for someone, bringing joy to them, bringing life to them, saving them.
Unconditional - the love is given whether the person responds or not.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

The offer is for everyone, yet only those who respond benefit.
Love does not compromise itself but accepts pain, persecution and rejection.

When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.
1 Peter 2:23-24