Vacations/holidays

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Do you have them often and what do you do. Camping, cruise, island, retreat, or sat in a hotel and be pampered. Or do you just stay with families or friends. Or maybe you have a permanent holiday home, time share or campervan.
How far do you go to get away from it all? And how long is your ideal vacation or holiday
Are you the one who organises it or do you have someone else do it for you? Or does your church have them.

Would you take someone with you thats never had a holiday in their life, never been outside their home town or couldnt afford one?

Whats your best or ideal vacation?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I was thinking about this because sometimes I think planning a holiday/vacation is a headache but if someone else does it its better, but then theres the cost of it!!

The hassles being...finding accodomodation, getting there, showers and toilets not working, being car sick or sea sick, finding people to go with, finding meals...bad weather, getting lost, running out of money or being ripped off, drunken tour guides, dealing with traffic, people that snore or noisy neighbours that play loud music at night.

If you the adventurous type you just take all that in your stride but sometimes I think going away is more hassle than its worth.
Or maybe just havent had the perfect holiday yet.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Maybe you just might like to take bus trip somewhere? Just a short day one to see if it agrees? Where they stop to shop somewhere or see something, and see if it agrees?
I know there are bur trips to Branson MO. and the Dells- WI. around here Mississippi/ Missouri/other, river towns will have something for visitors as well.
best wishes

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Our public transport system in auckland is pretty dire. The intercity bus doesnt just goes to the main centres. I think theres hop on hop off tours round auckland though. If you want to be a tourist in you own town. But I dont think theres any day ones unless you get a charter bus.

Theres ferry rides, but depends on weather to islands in gulf. Good idea though. Just need to think of somewhere I havent been before in my own town....and avoid all the traffic on way home.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Have you been to Ayers Rock?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
yep, I posted that before I researched you location.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Here's what I found-
www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1811027-Auckland_North_Island-Vacations.html
The War Memorial Museum would interest me, soon there will be no more war, at all.
And the Oyster Bar looked interesting, one comment was that every one there looked to be having a good time.
I could do some vicarious travelling for you, and report back. I have been to the musuem but could go again, they have different exhibits, the one at the monent is on bags.

I havent been to that Oyster Bar, but did go to a differnt one on my birthday for $1 oysters. It was ok but then got really noisy and crowded. I have been meaning to go to the oyster bar if its not too expensive. Problem is not many of my friends like oysters...!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You will have to check out your river towns and tell me what its like there. Theres no rivers we can do cruises in auckland unless go to Hamilton on the waikato river. Hmmm.

Or theres a Puhoi river kayak but can only do that in summer really. Black water rafting you can do in Waitomo and can see glow worms.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I haven't had a vacation in years. I typically just ask for cash and keep working, Sad, but that's the way that it is at this time. If I did take a vacation I would probably just stay at home and take a lot of naps.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I did that too, retired now, I put a lot of faith in our eternity being so much better than anything here, just couldn't see doing a lot of money and time spending here to humor myself.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In nz you meant to, if you work full time, have four weeks off work every year.

If you work in school, you get more holidays.

Some people just work through and then quit their job and have permanent holiday lol. Then when money runs out, find another one.

If you have your own business you have to shut it down so you can have a holiday.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Also theres working holidays, where you and work and have a holiday at the same time. But those jobs will be like something in retail or temping or picking fruit and only open to foreigners.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
hmmm...... Sounds interesting, and a lot of fun, i will look for a virtual tour of the museum!
i like the as history, and a reminder of how we will be reunited and there will be "war no more"!
Wasn't N.Z. at Gallipoli?
yep, found it here-
www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/battle-of-gallipoli-1

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Watching this- Auckland War Museum, i'm not expecting the see a "Churchill Wing" after reading up on Gallipoli.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
We have a wintergarden in the Domain near the museum which is now the perfect time to go and see all the plants and flowers.

Just dont get the chance most weekends have been busy.

Rotorua is the place to go for holidays as theres lots to see and do there, have been thinking of going but need a couple of days to make it worthwhile. Hot pools and geysers and adventures. Its just organising it all thats the hassle, cos you need to drive down, book accomodation, make sure everyone can get time off, pay, organise meals, have someone look after pets and hous while away etc etc. i dont know how people manage to have heaps of holidays all the time.

Its very expensive to just keep going away. Maybe they just won lotto. I look at the travel pages in the paper sometimes and since everything is all collated together it gives the impression that the entire world is for sale, and if you have enough funds you can just pick and choose whatever holiday you want. And the people that write the articles dont ever say how they saved a whole lifetime to do them, and seem to just somehow, get paid to write about it. They also never ever mention mission trips.

Its always go to this place or that, do it for $200 a day or go eat at this place or that. Which could be anywhere in the world, you just jump on a plane and go there. Well its not so easy.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I suppose the well healed (rich) have minions to do those things, calling the travel agency, having the house watched, those who travel frequently have jumped through all these hoops and it is very easy for the now.
Seems the housing is the big expense in travel, i'm a Motel 6 type traveler.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I haven't taken a vacation since 2004. It sounds like hotels are not as well maintained there as they are here. If it were me, I would stay at a well-known hotel like the Hilton or Hyatt in order to avoid getting a room with any problems with plumbing and such. I'm not saying those hotels don't have problems like that, just saying that they stay on top of it and won't rent out a room if they know it has a problem.