Views/Scripture on Diseases

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 23, 2018
In my circle of Christian friends (I know a handful of foreigner Christians), I know a fair share of people who think disease is a form of demonic attack. The more "weird" or mysterious the disease which people have trouble understanding (strange skin lesions, certain mental illnesses, tinnitus/hyperacusis, some mysterious inexplicable nerve issue that may cause excruciating pain, etc.) the more likely they point that there is something "spiritual" about the disease. And, the cause of this demonic attack is that we are spiritually weak. I think the last thing you want to tell a sick person that they are spiritually weak, etc. Not only are you dealing with a health battle, but a newly added spiritual battle. On the other hand, the more healthy way to deal with this is remain positive and praying for healing (without thinking about a demonic attack). Any thoughts on this?
They are correct.

The biggest culprit of all and you take it off the table as the cause.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
What is the Biblical view on diseases? Is disease a form of punishment, maybe from God? Does God give us disease to redirect our lives? Is all disease from the devil? I have heard a variety of views on this from Christians. My charismatic friends (from Ethiopia) say disease is demonic/from the devil, and we have the power to cast out disease through faith and prayer (it will not be cast out with unbelief). My problem with this view is that through the disease, I am hosting demonic presence in my body. I do not think this is a healthy view. The blame is cast to the sick person as though he/she got the disease because he/she may be spiritually weak.
The short answer to all your questions is yes, it depends on circumstances, it is usually from evil but it can come to us so we can be made stronger spiritually, or it can be so we can glorify god. It can come because of sin, or because of ourselves. For example if someone doesnt eat right and look after their body, then it will naturally be more prone to illness. Stress can make someone more prone to mental health issues. There are many reasons why someone can become ill, its not always evil spirits that cause illnesses. I would not say that illnesses come from God, but he allows the devil access to peoples lives for the initial reasons i stated.

FaithMan

Mar 26, 2014
I'm a little late to the party, so to speak, but would like to recommend a small book that is helpful in understanding this subject. It is not currently in print, although I think the arguments contained in it are very important. The title is:

Compassionate Father or Consuming Fire, Who is the God of the Old Testament?

By Dr. Michael Brown

Only 76 pages long but very information packed. Dr. Brown is a well known bible scholar and he wrote this to correct some popular errors related to the subject of sickness and disease.

Used copies can be obtained on Amazon.

Sep 3, 2016
The only answer to stop this spirit of infirmity (sickness and disease) that is caused by demon spirits (such as the coronavirus plague), is for the Believer Faith and Trust to be placed and maintained exclusively in Jesus Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary Cross where the victory was won. Romans 8:2, Luke 13:10-17, Acts 10:38

Sep 3, 2016
The only answer to stop this spirit of infirmity (sickness and disease) that is caused by demon spirits (such as the coronavirus plague), is for the Believer Faith and Trust to be placed and maintained exclusively in Jesus Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary Cross where the victory was won. Romans 8:2, Luke 13:10-17, Acts 10:38
99.999% of Believers are oppressed by the Devil (2 Tim. 2:24-26). Oppression means sickness and disease. That's why Jesus in Acts 10:38 healed all who were oppressed by the Devil. However, unless they return to the Cross (the truth) repentance will not be granted (2 Tim. 2:24-26). These perilous times will increase with stronger birth pains...awaiting the Rapture.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
I've been fascinated by Jesus' response at the end of this passage in John 5.

After this, there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. Now there is in Jerusalem at the Sheep [Gate] a pool called in Hebrew Bethesda, with five porticoes. In these lay a large number of ill, blind, lame, and crippled. One man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been ill for a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be well?” The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; while I am on my way, someone else gets down there before me.” Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your mat, and walk.” Immediately the man became well, took up his mat, and walked.

Now that day was a sabbath. So the Jews said to the man who was cured, “It is the sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to carry your mat.” He answered them, “The man who made me well told me, ‘Take up your mat and walk.’” They asked him, “Who is the man who told you, ‘Take it up and walk’?” The man who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had slipped away, since there was a crowd there. After this Jesus found him in the temple area and said to him, “Look, you are well; do not sin any more, so that nothing worse may happen to you.”
This is a good example but I also like to balance it with this one,
john 9
1.And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
This is a good example but I also like to balance it with this one,
john 9
1.And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
Jesus' warning does not need balancing. Sin always has consequences.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
What is the Biblical view on diseases? Is disease a form of punishment, maybe from God? Does God give us disease to redirect our lives? Is all disease from the devil? I have heard a variety of views on this from Christians. My charismatic friends (from Ethiopia) say disease is demonic/from the devil, and we have the power to cast out disease through faith and prayer (it will not be cast out with unbelief). My problem with this view is that through the disease, I am hosting demonic presence in my body. I do not think this is a healthy view. The blame is cast to the sick person as though he/she got the disease because he/she may be spiritually weak.
You can find a study Here which covers the causes of sickness and disease...

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
Jesus' warning does not need balancing. Sin always has consequences.
The “balance” is Just in showing Jesus shows us not all sickness is a result of sin. He clearly wasn’t meaning these people never sinned, just that there was no sin they had done that resulted in this sickness.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Where you have this from? That Corona is raised through demon spirits?
It may be that people are demon possesd and because of this sick.
But, since the sinfall sickness and death is in the world. And our body is going to die because of our Mortality.
Why Jesus healed, was to fulfill the prophecie and to proof that he is the messajah.
Not to cast out sickness from this world. Because everybody who was healed from Jesus, later died, because of sickness and collapse of the bodyfunctions.
If his Goal would be this, he would fast out sickness and Mortality from the world. But he did not! This time will come when we are in heaven.

S

Scribe

Diseases in general are part of the hostile world we live in because of the fall and yet he tells us to subdue and take dominion. He was not just talking about dominion over lions and tigers but also viruses and genetic diseases. Medical science and vaccines are a gift from God. We are responsible for doing something about helping sick people if we have the ability to do so.
If I can lay hands on you and pray in Jesus Name and you are healed that is great. If I can help find a cure for your disease that is great too.
Why are their tigers in the world that will come into villages and take small children? Because of the fall? What are we supposed to do about it? Take dominion and control the beasts, by any means necessary.
Why are their tiny microscopic viruses which seem programmed to invade our cells and kill us? Because of the fall? What are we supposed to do about it? One of the best options we have discovered so far is not broccoli (sorry for those who wish it were true) but vaccines and we are responsible to take dominion over these tiny tigers and subdue them by any means necessary.

Pray for the success of the COVID-19 vaccines in final testing.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
The “balance” is Just in showing Jesus shows us not all sickness is a result of sin. He clearly wasn’t meaning these people never sinned, just that there was no sin they had done that resulted in this sickness.
The Scriptures I quoted do not need "balancing."

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
The Scriptures I quoted do not need "balancing."
As I specified I wasn’t balancing a scripture - rather the understanding one may get by just reading one portion of scripture.
It wasn’t a correction! It was simply me adding other scriptures I found helpful to build a biblically balanced understanding of Jesus and what He said about the matter Of sin and Sickness. I am sorry you are offended and did not understand my clarification on the fact I wasn’t attempting to “balance scripture” of any kind. I shall try to avoid joining in on biblical discussions with you in future so we do not incur these sorts of miscommunications and I don’t inadvertently offend you again. It may be I just need to avoid quoting you when adding scripture etc. I really shall do my best.
All The best and God bless.