Waiting on God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jenny23

What are some things you do while waiting on the Lord to answer a prayer you have or fulfill something? Practical tips would be great.

I've made a lot of strides in my spiritual, emotional, and physical health since becoming a believer and waiting on the Lord. I have been waiting on God to fulfill a specific word for the past 4 years. I would love to hear what other people have done that they find valuable during the wait or are currently doing. Thanks!

L

LittleMermaid

Like Dory says "just keep swimming." That's what I do. I pray and ask for what I need or want but then I remember to say "if it's your will, Lord." Then I go about my day. I keep on keeping on, living life normally. If the answer isn't received, I usually think that God just didn't want me to have it or at least not at this time.

Waiting for a spouse used to be hard...but not anymore. I recently discovered that I don't think I want children of my own. So that relieved a lot of the pressure for me to find someone asap. Since I'm already getting kinda old. :p
I've also been praying for answers as far as school, work, and my career go. I find that God answers me by closing doors. So then I have no choice but to go through the only one that is open. :eek:

When my grandmother was sick last year, I prayed like crazy for God to heal her. I thought that as long as I prayed longer and harder, he would grant me my wish to have her healed. I thought of God like a genie back then and it wasn't right of me. I learned so much through that experience. Anyways, I just remember getting super anxious during that wait. Now I know that there's no reason to be anxious because he knows exactly what he is doing. He will make his will be done and there's so much peace to that. :giggle:

Nov 1, 2019
Cardiff, South Wales
Hey Jenn ☺️
If you didn't want to share, that is totally fine. I am interested in the way you phrased "fulfilling a specific word" (or however you said it)...is this some prophetic word you were given by someone, or is it a promise you found in the Bible?

The reason I ask is that sometimes well meaning Christians believe God is telling them some kind of promise etc. when there is no real evidence this promise is from God aside from that person's own belief.

I agree that waiting on God is hard. God might not be in time (in our own limited knowledge) but rest assured He is never late. He is in control 👍

Serving others is a good place to start taking the emphasis off us and onto others ☺️

J

Jenny23

Hey Jenn ☺️
If you didn't want to share, that is totally fine. I am interested in the way you phrased "fulfilling a specific word" (or however you said it)...is this some prophetic word you were given by someone, or is it a promise you found in the Bible?

The reason I ask is that sometimes well meaning Christians believe God is telling them some kind of promise etc. when there is no real evidence this promise is from God aside from that person's own belief.

I agree that waiting on God is hard. God might not be in time (in our own limited knowledge) but rest assured He is never late. He is in control 👍

Serving others is a good place to start taking the emphasis off us and onto others ☺️
Hey! Thank you so much for asking and your response. I won't share the specific details, but it is something I believe God told me, and I believe he has confirmed in his word. It is something that hasn't gone away even though, to be honest, I wish it would at times. I have been open to the possibility of being wrong, and I have tried to let it go through different means. I understand what you mean by no real evidence. I guess my evidence will be if it truly comes to pass?

I'm still open to whatever God wants to do, but in the meantime I am waiting on him. I trust that he will do whatever is best, and that is his character.

Does that make sense? Or am I talking in circles? Haha. Thanks so much for your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I’m currently waiting for the Lord to lead me to a job. In the meantime, I’m looking daily at job postings and applying to openings. When I get tired of looking, I try to take my mind off it by doing other things. I want to get back to practicing music. But then I get lazy and just want to Netflix lol!

I guess as we wait, we should remember that God is faithful. Either answer He gives is good.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Hi Jenny. You start the best conversations! There are ways to wait, there are the frustrations of waiting and the lessons we learn in waiting (and so much more). When it comes to God we have a hard time because we want to know His perfect will, which in honourable, but in truth, even if he gave us the answer, we might not have the capacity to understand. It is like asking God for the meaning of our life and the answer is plaid. Pardon me? That isn't what I asked and it doesn't make sense. The very best example I can think of is the book of Ruth and Naomi (maybe get a cup of tea and settle into a comfy couch for this one). We know what the book is about but take it from the angle of a nice Jewish girl hoping for a blessed life. She marries in faith and had two sons. One was named Mahlon, which means infirmity and the other Kilion meaning wasting away or pining. You can see she and possibly her neighbors would already be wondering as to what she might have done to offend the Lord. Then there was a famine so her husband took the family to Moab. She loses the support and help of family and friends. We don't know how soon after but then her husband dies. We know her sons live long enough to marry foreign brides, but not father children and then they die. How much more can this woman take? her name, Naomi means pleasant but she says call her Mara, meaning bitter. Can you imagine the questions and reactions of the people in her town when she returned without her husband, her two sons, no grandchildren and a foreigner? Let the judgement begin. Can you imagine her calling out to God as to why all these things have happened, what she did wrong, why he has withheld blessing, and if he told her the answer? None of it was something that could have been within the scope of her understanding, not really. I could go on but the takeaway for me is that I know that God has good plans and even if I don't understand, as long as I seek to obey, I can know it is OK. I may not get answers that I understand but I know when I get home, if God chooses, I will see a pattern that will astonish me. I find a lot of answers by reading the real lives in the old testament. I don't look at the endings. I try and imagine what it would have been to walk through those events and it gives me comfort that my life is beyond even my own understanding. Sorry that his was so long. I know it started out with the topic of waiting but sometimes we stand in one place waiting for one thing while what he is doing is miraculously different. Hugs to you sister, LH.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I don't know :(

I also believe I am to wait. There are times I get angry about it honestly. Not quite furious...just like...what gives?

Every day is different at least. Nature usually takes something of the edge off waiting. Fires I like too. Also I've lately been working on reading scripture out loud. Seems to open things up a bit differently. Still am on the fence about whether I want to listen to my own audio bible though lol.

The problem is a lot of things are just tiresome by myself...so finding people is a good move. It is hard for me, but the Lord has definitely brought people my way. It doesn't make it "easy" but certainly a bit nicer.

And today is the day I start working out. Going with someone later so that may help with excess frustration a bit.

There have certainly been some treacherous days where I doubt the source of "waiting" Also, the fact that "wait" can also mean to serve. Like wait staff at a restaurant. So I think it makes sense to "wait while you wait" ;)

I mean, it's pretty clear that the meaning is patience...but still. I think potentially it's about learning to abide. Leastways that's what the last 6 months have been about.

J

Jenny23

Hi Jenny. You start the best conversations! There are ways to wait, there are the frustrations of waiting and the lessons we learn in waiting (and so much more). When it comes to God we have a hard time because we want to know His perfect will, which in honourable, but in truth, even if he gave us the answer, we might not have the capacity to understand. It is like asking God for the meaning of our life and the answer is plaid. Pardon me? That isn't what I asked and it doesn't make sense. The very best example I can think of is the book of Ruth and Naomi (maybe get a cup of tea and settle into a comfy couch for this one). We know what the book is about but take it from the angle of a nice Jewish girl hoping for a blessed life. She marries in faith and had two sons. One was named Mahlon, which means infirmity and the other Kilion meaning wasting away or pining. You can see she and possibly her neighbors would already be wondering as to what she might have done to offend the Lord. Then there was a famine so her husband took the family to Moab. She loses the support and help of family and friends. We don't know how soon after but then her husband dies. We know her sons live long enough to marry foreign brides, but not father children and then they die. How much more can this woman take? her name, Naomi means pleasant but she says call her Mara, meaning bitter. Can you imagine the questions and reactions of the people in her town when she returned without her husband, her two sons, no grandchildren and a foreigner? Let the judgement begin. Can you imagine her calling out to God as to why all these things have happened, what she did wrong, why he has withheld blessing, and if he told her the answer? None of it was something that could have been within the scope of her understanding, not really. I could go on but the takeaway for me is that I know that God has good plans and even if I don't understand, as long as I seek to obey, I can know it is OK. I may not get answers that I understand but I know when I get home, if God chooses, I will see a pattern that will astonish me. I find a lot of answers by reading the real lives in the old testament. I don't look at the endings. I try and imagine what it would have been to walk through those events and it gives me comfort that my life is beyond even my own understanding. Sorry that his was so long. I know it started out with the topic of waiting but sometimes we stand in one place waiting for one thing while what he is doing is miraculously different. Hugs to you sister, LH.
And you always give the best replies! Thank you for the time you spent to answer and your wisdom! The last sentence really stands out to me. That while we stand in one place waiting, God is doing something miraculously different. I love that because it shows how God is unlimited. Thank you again!

J

Jenny23

I don't know :(

I also believe I am to wait. There are times I get angry about it honestly. Not quite furious...just like...what gives?

Every day is different at least. Nature usually takes something of the edge off waiting. Fires I like too. Also I've lately been working on reading scripture out loud. Seems to open things up a bit differently. Still am on the fence about whether I want to listen to my own audio bible though lol.

The problem is a lot of things are just tiresome by myself...so finding people is a good move. It is hard for me, but the Lord has definitely brought people my way. It doesn't make it "easy" but certainly a bit nicer.

And today is the day I start working out. Going with someone later so that may help with excess frustration a bit.

There have certainly been some treacherous days where I doubt the source of "waiting" Also, the fact that "wait" can also mean to serve. Like wait staff at a restaurant. So I think it makes sense to "wait while you wait" ;)

I mean, it's pretty clear that the meaning is patience...but still. I think potentially it's about learning to abide. Leastways that's what the last 6 months have been about.
So awesome. Thank you for sharing. I love to work out, and it is usually helpful. And the analogy of the wait staff at a restaurant-nailed it. :D

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
And you always give the best replies! Thank you for the time you spent to answer and your wisdom! The last sentence really stands out to me. That while we stand in one place waiting, God is doing something miraculously different. I love that because it shows how God is unlimited. Thank you again!
You are very kind Jenny. I think of Naomi and realize that she may have gone through her whole life never knowing how important she was in God's plans. When you read of the daughters-in-law's love for her, it tells you something about her nature. She must have been bewildered, and passed on without understanding. My heart hurts for her but for me it means you have to believe the evidence of your own relationship with God. It is the only truth that matters, not our circumstances. I never would have imagined I would be divorced. It felt like such shame and sorrow. Since then I have been places and had experiences I could have never imagined. I don't understand half of it but I have peace that He has got this. I don't know what the next few years will look like and now it is the harder task of trusting that He has that too (I know that that is not what I'm supposed to say but that reflects on my weakness rather than his faithfulness). All the best, LH.

J

Jenny23

You are very kind Jenny. I think of Naomi and realize that she may have gone through her whole life never knowing how important she was in God's plans. When you read of the daughters-in-law's love for her, it tells you something about her nature. She must have been bewildered, and passed on without understanding. My heart hurts for her but for me it means you have to believe the evidence of your own relationship with God. It is the only truth that matters, not our circumstances. I never would have imagined I would be divorced. It felt like such shame and sorrow. Since then I have been places and had experiences I could have never imagined. I don't understand half of it but I have peace that He has got this. I don't know what the next few years will look like and now it is the harder task of trusting that He has that too (I know that that is not what I'm supposed to say but that reflects on my weakness rather than his faithfulness). All the best, LH.
That is so good. I definitely am not where I imagined my life would be. And that is due to many things--one of them being my desire to control. Part of the waiting process for me is believing and living as though God is enough. And like you pointed out, he is not only enough, but he is more than enough. You've had opportunities and chances that you didn't imagine because he made them possible. He is able to do immeasurably more than we can think or imagine. I love that verse. Hugs to you sister! I really do value hearing your wisdom. God has gifted you in that way. <3

Nov 1, 2019
Cardiff, South Wales
Hiya Jenn 😁hey no worries...and yes it does make sense what you are saying.👍

I guess for me...I was wondering if it was to do with being single. I suppose other situations could be addressed in the same way too.

I guess what I was saying is that when you or anyone...maybe even me...say that we believe God is going to do this or that, my own inclination is to be a bit cautious.

Certainly God does promise us certain things in His Word e.g. peace, joy etc. when we come to Him and trust in Him.

However, things such as God finding us a wife, husband, job etc. I'd be more careful with. God doesn't promise us any of these things. I know that sounds rather harsh or maybe cruel, but I'd prefer to say that God is sovereign and in complete control. Of everything. I think it's probably wiser in certain areas to basically put your life in His hands and His will, rather than (and I'm not saying you have done this) look for scripture to back up a felt want.

God promises to give us all we need. In that promise, just rest in Him and know He has all the bases covered 👍

J

Jenny23

Hiya Jenn 😁hey no worries...and yes it does make sense what you are saying.👍

I guess for me...I was wondering if it was to do with being single. I suppose other situations could be addressed in the same way too.

I guess what I was saying is that when you or anyone...maybe even me...say that we believe God is going to do this or that, my own inclination is to be a bit cautious.

Certainly God does promise us certain things in His Word e.g. peace, joy etc. when we come to Him and trust in Him.

However, things such as God finding us a wife, husband, job etc. I'd be more careful with. God doesn't promise us any of these things. I know that sounds rather harsh or maybe cruel, but I'd prefer to say that God is sovereign and in complete control. Of everything. I think it's probably wiser in certain areas to basically put your life in His hands and His will, rather than (and I'm not saying you have done this) look for scripture to back up a felt want.

God promises to give us all we need. In that promise, just rest in Him and know He has all the bases covered 👍
Totally. I get what you are saying. I agree that it is wise to be cautious with these sorts of things. I hope my post didn't come across like I believe God owes me something. Thanks for your advice!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
What to do while you're waiting... do the next thing.

Don't put your whole life on hold. Don't refuse to do something just because it might mess with what you imagine might happen. Keep living life, not just existing while you wait for God to do something that you think will start your life going.

Apply for the job promotion. Start the hobby you have been wanting to do. Get that dog or cat you have been wishing you had. Do whatever life has for you to do. And don't forget to enjoy the parts of life that you can feasibly enjoy.

It is important to keep doing life because you never learn anything in a vacuum. What if there are things you need to learn before you are ready for what God wants to do? If you put your life on hold, you never learn anything. If God made things happen in your life that you weren't ready for, it could destroy you.

I took a road trip just last week with a friend. We had some long talks on the road, and I learned things about myself that I had never known before. I'm 41 years old and still learning things about me. I have no idea what I still don't know about other people. But if I closed my life and put it in "waiting" mode, I would never have learned the things I now know.

So... who's up for a theme park? :cool:

J

Jenny23

Don't put your whole life on hold. Don't refuse to do something just because it might mess with what you imagine might happen. Keep living life, not just existing while you wait for God to do something that you think will start your life going.

Apply for the job promotion. Start the hobby you have been wanting to do. Get that dog or cat you have been wishing you had. Do whatever life has for you to do. And don't forget to enjoy the parts of life that you can feasibly enjoy.

It is important to keep doing life because you never learn anything in a vacuum. What if there are things you need to learn before you are ready for what God wants to do? If you put your life on hold, you never learn anything. If God made things happen in your life that you weren't ready for, it could destroy you.

I took a road trip just last week with a friend. We had some long talks on the road, and I learned things about myself that I had never known before. I'm 41 years old and still learning things about me. I have no idea what I still don't know about other people. But if I closed my life and put it in "waiting" mode, I would never have learned the things I now know.

Love it! Lagoon man! 😃

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Having lived in Orlando for over 20 years and being to Walt Disney World and Universal Studios countless times I'm all set with theme parks.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
The fact you specifically asked for practical tips suggests you know you ought to focus on and enjoy what's in front of you.

Keep working for the Lord and do your best with what He gives you, even if it's small (parable of the talents comes to mind). Do this and the big things you desire will either come at their appointed time or you will, in time, understand why they were not a part of His plan and be at peace with His will.

Adding some novelty to life also helps. There's probably something you've always wanted to do or something you miss from your childhood that you'd like to try the adult version of. It makes things feel like they are moving in some direction.

I don't know what else to say. Pretty bland fortune cookie advice. I'm not sure what a "word" is because that's something outside my denomination/faith tradition, so I don't know if it's authoritative.

What are some things you do while waiting on the Lord to answer a prayer you have or fulfill something? Practical tips would be great.

J

Jenny23

The fact you specifically asked for practical tips suggests you know you ought to focus on and enjoy what's in front of you.

Keep working for the Lord and do your best with what He gives you, even if it's small (parable of the talents comes to mind). Do this and the big things you desire will either come at their appointed time or you will, in time, understand why they were not a part of His plan and be at peace with His will.

Adding some novelty to life also helps. There's probably something you've always wanted to do or something you miss from your childhood that you'd like to try the adult version of. It makes things feel like they are moving in some direction.

I don't know what else to say. Pretty bland fortune cookie advice. I'm not sure what a "word" is because that's something outside my denomination/faith tradition, so I don't know if it's authoritative.
That’s great advice! Thank you so much!