Was Jesus ever taught by man?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Beloved314

Aug 3, 2014
Pardon me if this question was posed before…

This morning I had a conversation with a friend who was asking me about Jesus and what He meant to me.
I explained in detail how Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life and shared some of my personal experiences that lead me to believe that without a doubt.

Of course I don’t understand all of His ways and never claim to.

My friend replied and added this:
“There are other, older guides that Jesus himself studied and followed. The hermetic laws, the universal laws, laws of nature...etc.... “​
I asked him how he learned this, what are his sources. How can the God-man be taught anything- the One who created everything?

I know it says in the Bible that young Jesus sat in the temple listening to teachers and asking questions but when Jesus spoke He spoke with authority that amazed them.

Please someone help me to wrap my head around this and provide Biblical proof for me because I don’t remember reading anywhere that Jesus was taught by anyone other than the Father. Im sure Mary must have taught him basic human things when very little as she raised him but I mean spiritual truths.

My friend also said:

“It is well documented Jesus spent time in India and Egypt before coming of age...”

I asked for sources and haven’t heard back yet. Can anyone give me clarity? It seems wrong and off to me.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
It seems wrong and off to me.
It is. You are wise and have good discernment. (y)

I asked for sources and haven’t heard back yet.
Faulty sources abound and are easily manufactured at the drop of a hat. Mary may have taught Jesus how to brush His teeth and tie His shoes, but it was young Jesus who did the teaching in the temple.

Luke 2:
46And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 47And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. 48And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. 49And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business? 50And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them. 51And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
“There are other, older guides that Jesus himself studied and followed. The hermetic laws, the universal laws, laws of nature...etc....
“I asked him how he learned this, what are his sources. How can the God-man be taught anything- the One who created everything?

My friend also said: “It is well documented Jesus spent time in India and Egypt before coming of age...”

I asked for sources and haven’t heard back yet. Can anyone give me clarity? It seems wrong and off to me.
You will not get an intelligible, reliably sourced answer to these questions from your
friend (because intelligible, reliably sourced answers to these questions do not exist).

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

This morning I had a conversation with a friend who was asking me about Jesus and what He meant to me.
I explained in detail how Jesus is the Way the Truth and the Life and shared some of my personal experiences that lead me to believe that without a doubt.

“There are other, older guides that Jesus himself studied and followed. The hermetic laws, the universal laws, laws of nature...etc.... “​
I asked him how he learned this, what are his sources. How can the God-man be taught anything- the One who created everything?

I know it says in the Bible that young Jesus sat in the temple listening to teachers and asking questions but when Jesus spoke He spoke with authority that amazed them.

Please someone help me to wrap my head around this and provide Biblical proof for me because I don’t remember reading anywhere that Jesus was taught by anyone other than the Father. Im sure Mary must have taught him basic human things when very little as she raised him but I mean spiritual truths.

My friend also said:

“It is well documented Jesus spent time in India and Egypt before coming of age...”

Pure hogwash. Jesus would've been exposed to the Hebrew scriptures and rabbis, but John 12:49 says: "For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak."

I've run into a lot of people who say things like what your friend said. If he brings it up again I'd press him for sources. Many times it turns out to be nonsense. I had a guy swear up and down that the Council of Nicaea decided what books should be in the Bible and they suppressed the ones they didn't like. After a little digging I learned that this is a popular myth based on a Dan Brown novel with nothing whatsoever in fact; the Council of Nicaea didn't even have anything to do with deciding the canon.

Jun 20, 2022
There's an idea that's been around for centuries involved with the time span from when we see Jesus age 12 in the Temple and then age 30 when He begins His Ministry.​
Many wrong ideas have become false truths over this issue.​
One being that for 18 years Jesus traveled the known world and picked up wisdom from other ancient cultures.​
One of these idealisms is now what is called the Gospel of Thomas. And there's many others.​
The problem is we DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED during those 18 years. And it does give false ideas breeding ground.​
But what we do know is Jesus is GOD!! God does not need to be taught anything because He created everything and knows the END from the Beginning.​
knowing the END from the Beginning is the biggest factor that God knows everything.​
Now,, is it possible Jesus did travel the known world during those 18 years, sure, if so maybe He wanted to spend time seeing His Creations before it was time for His Mission to begin.​

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Now,, is it possible Jesus did travel the known world during those 18 years, sure, if so maybe He wanted to spend time seeing His Creations before it was time for His Mission to begin.
Is it possible that Jesus may have built a spaceship and toured the Milky Way during these "Mystery Years"? :unsure:

Perhaps a yellow submarine tour? :confused:

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Is it possible that Jesus may have built a spaceship and toured the Milky Way during these "Mystery Years"? :unsure:

Perhaps a yellow submarine tour? :confused:
Hope He didn't go alone :)

P

pottersclay

Luke 2:39-41, 51-52 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.
And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

As proverbs said train up a child in the way he shoud go and when he is older he shall not depart.

All that is required is GODs word. Parents willing to teach and direct him certainly helped and is shown in scripture.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022

My friend also said:

Why would anyone go to India or Egypt?

Your not going to learn anything of value in those two countries.

Jesus stopped a storm with a verbal command and turned water into wine with a verbal command. What could an Indian guru teach Jesus about?

The mind boggling revelation of the Christ is far beyond our understanding.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Please someone help me to wrap my head around this and provide Biblical proof
There is no Biblical proof for what your friend says, though many speculative books abound on the
subject, which the uninitiated take to be quasi-authoritative. The fact that he is interested in these
things could be an opening for you to have further dialogue with him about Jesus, though if he is
dead set against anything Biblical and "organized religion," not much may come of it, at least not
right away. Still, you never know! Best wishes to you as your communications continue :)

Oct 16, 2020
Austalia
I find it interesting that it mentions Jesus was 12 when he was found teaching in the temple. 12 or 13 is considered in the Jewish culture to be coming of age when a boy is considered an adult. Most likely before the age of 12, Jesus might of been taught many things in regards to being human and Jewish culture, but he needed no teaching in regards to the things of God. Luke 2:40 says that he grew and became strong and was filled with wisdom. We can see by the astonishment of those that heard Jesus teach at 12, by that age he had more knowledge and understanding of the scriptures than all of them put together.

L

Locoponydirtman

Many times Jesus said he does and says what the Father says, and what He sees the Father do. Jesus translated (for lack of a better word) what God the Father said and did in Heaven into the earth.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

My friend also said:

These ideas seem to stem strongly from New Age followers. And fits with their beliefs.
Possibly gnostics as well, though I'm less knowledgeable about their beliefs, so perhaps I'm wrong there.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Trust your own judgment, as for Jesus going to India, That is the arrogance of Indians.
Buddhism did not originate in India.
So you don't have to think about Jesus was going to India.
Jesus did flee to Egypt. This is a true event in the Bible.
Jesus was directly taught by God. No one else could have taught him better.
Just as God himself led the Israelites out of Egypt, God Himself led Jesus.

Mary, the mother of Jesus, was also a wise woman.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The one thing we know Jesus learned is obedience as a man, in a body of flesh.

8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021

My friend also said:

Jesus's parents did indeed run off to Egypt for two years...an angel warned them about Herod's desire to kill all babies under 2 years of age....it was not a good time in Israel immediately afterwards either. Mary and Joseph and Jesus hid in Egypt for a while and eventually returned to Nazareth to live. Joseph got work in Sapphoris they had a normal life.

They never went to India.

Jesus I'm sure did hear some of the bits of "wisdom " floating around from other "scholars"....but He rewrote the ones that were close to the truth into positive action statements...and happened to be pithy and more true.

So no...Jesus never "learned" from man....
Yes He talked with the scribes and Pharisees but they were very impressed with him....more than He with them. He knew at a very young age who his real Father was...and said so to his mother. And despite the popular Christmas song....Yes, Mary KNEW! Read Luke 2.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Beloved314, we know that Jesus went to Egypt (with His parents), but to India :unsure:

I think that you have already had your question(s) answered above, but I thought that I would add a link to an article (that addresses this topic) for you to read if you'd like to (it's by our friends at GotQuestions.org): Did Jesus ever travel to India? | GotQuestions.org

BTW, the GotQuestions.org site is a great place to find answers to Biblical/Doctrinal/Christian living type questions, so I thought that I would point it out to you in case you did not already know about it :) Their articles are hardly exhaustive looks into topics or Scripture, but I believe that they are a great/useful place to find quick answers and/or to begin a more thorough/detailed study.

God bless you!!

~Deut