Was King David a rapist?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
From the Biblical account it is unclear if David pressured Bathsheba or if it was welcomed.. God knew the truth of the matter so people making definitive judgements here on this forum about it is not wise..

The Bible does make it clear that David sinned twice.. Once by committing adultery with Bathsheba and secondly by organizing the death of Bathsheba's husband, But when he was confronted by the prophet he immediately acknowledged these sins to God and was forgiven..

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.
Dt 22

Metoo or not, according to the law, the girl is guilty if she stays silent.

She must be actively sreaming/defending herself. Passivity and submission in this case makes her guilty.

Bathing somewhere where people can seee when your husband is in a war, is a very stupid and strange thing to to.

Of course, I do not say that David was not guilty. Both of them should die, according to the Law.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
What we, as Christians who do our best to follow God's direction, are to know about David is that he was a sinner, he asked for forgiveness and was forgiven. Not only forgiven but deeply loved.

Gossiping about David's sin by us is not called for.

The poster was forced into a situation even worse than David's and one she had no part in. Only God can heal such a wound, and each of us is called on to send our good will and prayers to support this.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
I don't believe King David needs to force Bathsheba to copulate with him. he is the king and the woman knows it so the woman will surely obey what the king wishes to do to her because of fear for her life.

I am sure that David was once an adulterer and forced to kill the legal husband of Bathsheba so that the man will never find out that iniquity done by his king to his wife.

L

LaVieEnRose

According to the text, David was on the roof, not Bathsheba. He was being a pervert. She did nothing wrong. Nathan tells David, he is the man!

Poor Bathsheba, but she is in the genealogy of Jesus. 💖 A lot of people are going to feel bad when they meet her in Heaven because they maligned her.

Sep 3, 2016
In spite of the terrible sins that David committed (which was as bad as you can get), it did not stop God from His Son being called the "Son of David."

Sep 4, 2012
Bathsheba had no business bathing in the nude when her rooftop could easily be viewed. Surely she would have known this simply by looking around. Bathsheba could have also refused to go along had she chosen to do so, and David would have been ashamed of his stupidity.
How dumb can people be to not consider that she probably knew David was watching her and showed him a little skin to entice him. She knew the palace overlooked her rooftop. A discrete woman wouldn't have allowed anyone to see her naked. They were both at fault. It happens all of the time - it's called adultery.

E

eternally-gratefull

I would have to look up the bathing customs of the time

I don't know that Bathsheba was not modest. she was married and I doubt she was ...errr....advertising

anyway...who refuses the king?
i think that kind of sums it up right there!

E

eternally-gratefull

Why should today's concepts be applied to that time when the MeToo Movement is total hypocrisy? Many of the MeToo women went into those situations with their eyes open and their cleavages exposed.

Bathsheba had no business bathing in the nude when her rooftop could easily be viewed. Surely she would have known this simply by looking around. Bathsheba could have also refused to go along had she chosen to do so, and David would have been ashamed of his stupidity.
Wow man, talk about offensive, i will loom away so when one of these nice ladies gives you a black eye i can not be used as a witness against them.

Ps, as was said earlier, no one refuses the king on fear of death.

E

eternally-gratefull

How dumb can people be to not consider that she probably knew David was watching her and showed him a little skin to entice him. She knew the palace overlooked her rooftop. A discrete woman wouldn't have allowed anyone to see her naked. They were both at fault. It happens all of the time - it's called adultery.
A perfect example of adding to the word to excuse someones sin. Wow, just wow!

E

eternally-gratefull

Whats dumb is to assume something that is not written, and to judge others based on that assumption.

Feb 7, 2017
David wasn't a rapist. Bathsheba gave occasion to sin.
At best, she should be wise. Yet I believe that, deep down, she wanted to be seduced by the king.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
According to the text, David was on the roof, not Bathsheba. He was being a pervert. She did nothing wrong. Nathan tells David, he is the man!

Poor Bathsheba, but she is in the genealogy of Jesus. 💖 A lot of people are going to feel bad when they meet her in Heaven because they maligned her.
Please, calm down.

That "pervert" David is also in the genealogy of Jesus and will also be in heaven.

Also, I have no idea why you must play this game like "a lot of people will feel bad when they ....". No need for this.

7seasrekeyed

I still think the women who went with Weinstein and Lauer were coerced. Especially the young 20 somethings who don’t have that much sense.

Maybe a woman thinks “I’ll just do it this time to get or keep this job, I can get through anything. I’ll just make my mind go to another place. It’ll be over, and I’ll keep my job.”

Then, later on, self loathing sets in because of what they agreed to do for mercenary reasons. I feel sorry for them.

Then there were women who had to put up with unwanted passes and comments from their bosses, and maybe they felt they had to grin and bear it.

I don’t know, I know what happened to the women in Hollywood and New York is not the same as being forcibly raped- but it is still very bad behavior by powerful men. Charlie Rose supposedly walked around naked in front of women and the women just had to “deal with it” because he was the boss.

right

until you have been harrassed by men you really do not know how it goes

men can be nasty....and sadly that also applies to 'Christians'

I have never dressed provocatively...for the record...and I don't defend it either, but as I said earlier, you can wear a jacket and a skirt to your ankles

7seasrekeyed

From the Biblical account it is unclear if David pressured Bathsheba or if it was welcomed.. God knew the truth of the matter so people making definitive judgements here on this forum about it is not wise..

The Bible does make it clear that David sinned twice.. Once by committing adultery with Bathsheba and secondly by organizing the death of Bathsheba's husband, But when he was confronted by the prophet he immediately acknowledged these sins to God and was forgiven..
yes

but he was severely punished for what he did as well....for the rest of his life in fact

but I agree with what you posted

7seasrekeyed

What we, as Christians who do our best to follow God's direction, are to know about David is that he was a sinner, he asked for forgiveness and was forgiven. Not only forgiven but deeply loved.

Gossiping about David's sin by us is not called for.

The poster was forced into a situation even worse than David's and one she had no part in. Only God can heal such a wound, and each of us is called on to send our good will and prayers to support this.

well yah know...it's in the Bible so I would hardly call it gossip

good grief

he was punished the rest of his life for what he did...read what Nathan said to him

7seasrekeyed

don't people actually read the account or just give their opinion based on today's headlines?

this thing about Bathsheba being naked is not written and she was most likely NOT naked according to the custom of the day

stop making her out to be a hussy. that sounds alot more like personal bias

I start to wonder