Water baptism is necessary to be in the first resurrection

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Listen closely to James 2:18
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds. Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds."

I will point out that I moved the second quote mark from after the first "deeds" to after the second "deeds". I did this because the verse makes NO SENSE where all the translations place that second quote mark.

The "someone" actually says the whole verse: you have faith; I have deeds. Show me (the someone) your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith BY MY DEEDS.

iow, the "someone" begins by noting he has deeds. But the next sentence shows that he says that he can "show you" his faith BY HIS DEEDS.

This "someone" is addressing another who "has faith". So the "someone" is challenging the other person to show him his faith without any deeds.

The point is; a believer cannot show their faith apart from their deeds.

And that was the example James gave in v.15,16.
15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.
16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?

iow, it isn't any good. Words don't meet needs. Actions do.

Yep, and that didn't save him either. What is your point?

I gave you a clear explanation of James 2:18, yet you come back with this:

So, either you didn't even bother to read it, or you did and rejected it altogether. Why would you do either?

James 2:18 is a very clear summary of James' point about a dead faith. It DOESN'T demonstrate one's faith.

But ignorant pastors all over the country (and world) have misunderstood James think James was teaching that a faith without deeds doesn't save. Just plain ignorance.

James taught that a faith without deeds can't be demonstrated.
Scripture clearly defines itself. True faith is accepting what it says not what others say it means.

"You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did." James 2:21-22

Aug 2, 2021
Paul is specifically clarifying the need to believe in Jesus' resurrection in 1 Cor. 15. He declares the Corinthians were saved by the gospel. He goes on in verse 3 to express the first part of the gospel involves Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. His mention of delivering unto them the first thing indicates there is more to the gospel message. Paul's mention of the group being baptized for the dead in verse 29 indicates water baptism was part of the message preached. Notice the connection between sins and baptism. If Jesus did not resurrect then washing away of sins could not be realized in obedience to water baptism.

"...For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:...

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?...

17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins...

29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?..."
Your statement: "If Jesus did not resurrect then washing away of sins could not be realized in obedience to water baptism."

This is is a false statement, adding to Scripture and is NOT what the Apostle Paul said.

the Apostle never connects water baptism to "washing away our sins" in 1 Cor ch15 this is FALSE statement.

the Apostle is ONLY emphasizing that Christs Death AND Resurrection is what SAVES us and why we were water baptized = SYMBOLIC

w/b is purely SYMBOLIC of Christ's Death and Resurrection which is the ONLY Sacrament of Grace that washes away our sins.

water baptism necessary for Resurrection is serious error(heresy), proven false by Scripture beginning in Genesis

FAITH and obedience in God's Word is the ONLY requirement unto Salvation and Resurrection.

Therefore the Complete Gospel was preached in Abraham without water baptism.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Your statement: "If Jesus did not resurrect then washing away of sins could not be realized in obedience to water baptism."

This is is a false statement, adding to Scripture and is NOT what the Apostle Paul said.

the Apostle never connects water baptism to "washing away our sins" in 1 Cor ch15 this is FALSE statement.

the Apostle is ONLY emphasizing that Christs Death AND Resurrection is what SAVES us and why we were water baptized = SYMBOLIC

w/b is purely SYMBOLIC of Christ's Death and Resurrection which is the ONLY Sacrament of Grace that washes away our sins.

water baptism necessary for Resurrection is serious error(heresy), proven false by Scripture beginning in Genesis

FAITH and obedience in God's Word is the ONLY requirement unto Salvation and Resurrection.

Therefore the Complete Gospel was preached in Abraham without water baptism.
Scripture says otherwise. It makes it clear that sins are remitted in obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. (Acts 2:38, 22:16) This was made possible through Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. This condition is a required part of the NT conversion experience. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Paul explained this concept in Romans 6:3-6. Verse 5 mentions the absolute necessity of being planted together in the likeness of Jesus' death in order be in the likeness of His resurrection.

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For IF we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
Paul is specifically clarifying the need to believe in Jesus' resurrection in 1 Cor. 15. He declares the Corinthians were saved by the gospel. He goes on in verse 3 to express the first part of the gospel involves Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. His mention of delivering unto them the first thing indicates there is more to the gospel message. Paul's mention of the group being baptized for the dead in verse 29 indicates water baptism was part of the message preached. Notice the connection between sins and baptism. If Jesus did not resurrect then washing away of sins could not be realized in obedience to water baptism.

"...For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:...

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?...

17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins...

29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?..."
Funny how Jesus was God, worked on the Sabbath, and corrected the Pharisees in their error when they accused him of wrong doing.

Aug 2, 2021
Scripture says otherwise. It makes it clear that sins are remitted in obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. (Acts 2:38, 22:16) This was made possible through Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. This condition is a required part of the NT conversion experience. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Paul explained this concept in Romans 6:3-6. Verse 5 mentions the absolute necessity of being planted together in the likeness of Jesus' death in order be in the likeness of His resurrection.

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For IF we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
AGAIN - you are adding to the Apostles words what he DID NOT say.

What then shall we say? Shall we continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer? 3Or aren’t you aware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be united with Him in His resurrection. 6We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin. 7For anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with Him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, He cannot die again; death no longer has dominion over Him. 10The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. 11So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Paul says water baptism is symbolic (likeness) of Jesus death and resurrection = PERIOD.

FACTS CHECK: "So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

water baptism cannot save a single soul from the Lake of Fire.

Only the Justification by Faith in God's Word thru the Blood of Christ saves us.

Therefore God preached the Gospel to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob without water baptism.

You are worshiping a false idol of men's tradition and religious observance by placing an outward act on EQUAL terms of God's Eternal Contract that was Fulifilled by the Suffering and Death of Christ = shame on all who do this.

Did Christ say it was Finished at water baptism OR did HE say on it on the Cross...................

Shame upon every person who dares elevate any religious outward act to be equal of Christ's Suffering and Death on the Cross.

GOD is SERIOUS = "Therefore God preached the Gospel to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob without water baptism."

Mar 4, 2020

Exactly. Romans 6:4-6 is precisely why I believe that a water baptism is required for a literal resurrection. It's one of other verses that discuss this. Once Romans 6 is understood the other verses about salvation through water baptism are more clear. Faith in Christ for salvation for the soul, water baptism is for salvation of the glorified resurrected body.

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
No, you can't. If you're a Christian, born of God, a son of God, you cannot become an un-son. It's seed.

We are saved by faith in Jesus Christ.

We're talking about Christianity.

Crowns are rewards, not salvation. Rewards are earned, and can be lost. Salvation is a gift, given when we confess Jesus Christ as Lord and believe that God raised him from the dead.

"Backsliding" Christians can lose rewards, but not salvation.
Regarding your comment about maintaining, and we are Christians. Yes, we are.🙂
Matthew 24:13, 1Corinthians1:8.

That's not to say we must preserve in faith to obtain our Salvation, of course. Rather, it encourages us no matter what we encounter or endure, take heart! For we are saved. 💕

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
i love it Brother - thank you - cracked me up

the Apostles no longer worshipped the sabbath week day although they continued to gather on it to witness to the Jews and all who were still under the law.....
Sister, actually.🌹😆

JeffA

Minstrel
Mar 31, 2022
Revelation 14:12
King James Version

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

This would include Sabbath-keeping but not water-baptism.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The blood of Jesus makes it possible for people to be saved. It is believing and obeying God's commands in association with it that makes all the difference for individuals.
amen he died for the sins of all the world but all the world will not hear and believe and follow the word of the gospel to life everlasting

“and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that doesn’t mean everyone in the world is now saved because Jesus died for all sin, what we do with that knowledge is what matters

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
AGAIN - you are adding to the Apostles words what he DID NOT say.

What then shall we say? Shall we continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer? 3Or aren’t you aware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be united with Him in His resurrection. 6We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin. 7For anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with Him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, He cannot die again; death no longer has dominion over Him. 10The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. 11So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Paul says water baptism is symbolic (likeness) of Jesus death and resurrection = PERIOD.

FACTS CHECK: "So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

water baptism cannot save a single soul from the Lake of Fire.

Only the Justification by Faith in God's Word thru the Blood of Christ saves us.

Therefore God preached the Gospel to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob without water baptism.

You are worshiping a false idol of men's tradition and religious observance by placing an outward act on EQUAL terms of God's Eternal Contract that was Fulifilled by the Suffering and Death of Christ = shame on all who do this.

Did Christ say it was Finished at water baptism OR did HE say on it on the Cross...................

Shame upon every person who dares elevate any religious outward act to be equal of Christ's Suffering and Death on the Cross.

GOD is SERIOUS = "Therefore God preached the Gospel to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob without water baptism."
The NT command to be water baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus for the remission of sin is specifically stated in the Word of God. God commanded obedience in differing forms throughout the OT as well.

Aug 2, 2021
Revelation 14:12
King James Version

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

This would include Sabbath-keeping but not water-baptism.
ABSOLUTELY NOT and you are attaching the law of Moses unto Christ - this is error and going backwards.

By the Word of GOD you are opposing the Apostle Paul and the Finished Work of Christ's Sufferings on the Cross.

"When you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ.
He forgave us all our trespasses, having canceled the debt ascribed to us in the decrees that stood against us.
He took it away, nailing it to the cross!
And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath."
Colossians 2:13-16

Not once is the saturday sabbath requirement of the OLD Dead law repeated by CHRIST or the Apostles.

The law of GOD which was ministered in Genesis is the LORD Jesus Christ = HE is the LAW of GOD.

You either take the Blessed Yoke of Christ upon yourself and REST in HIM or you yoke yourself to the law which you cannot possibly keep in obedience to the FATHER.

All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father.
Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

My Brother JeffA, right now you do not understand the FULNESS of what the LORD said here - pray for understanding.

Peace and REST
when you lay your burden
upon HIM who did the Father's BEST
no man can further the finished work
that caused the SON to bear it's Girth
laid upon HIM was ALL our sin
that is how much HE is WORTH
old law is dead and gone
still around for those who have not been found

Jan 31, 2021
Paul is specifically clarifying the need to believe in Jesus' resurrection in 1 Cor. 15.
Of "first importance was that Christ died for our sins". And, yes, the resurrection is important. My point was if water baptism was required for salvation, he would have said so. But he didn't.

He declares the Corinthians were saved by the gospel. He goes on in verse 3 to express the first part of the gospel involves Jesus' death, burial and resurrection.
And water baptism symbolizes our union with Christ IN His death, burial and resurrection.

His mention of delivering unto them the first thing indicates there is more to the gospel message.
And yet he NEVER mentioned water baptism in what he called "of first importance".

Paul's mention of the group being baptized for the dead in verse 29 indicates water baptism was part of the message preached.
It certainly doesn't. There is no historical records that explain this obscure verse. Further, if a proxy baptism is part of God's plan, why isn't proxy faith? Do you see your conflict?

v.29 is about proxy baptism. Are you going to argue that proxy baptism is equal to in-person baptism?

Notice the connection between sins and baptism. If Jesus did not resurrect then washing away of sins could not be realized in obedience to water baptism.
Nope. Sins are forgiven (washed away) through believing in the Messiah. Acts 10:43

Jan 31, 2021
Scripture clearly defines itself. True faith is accepting what it says not what others say it means.
It appears that you don't want to accept the truth of 2:18 then.

"You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did." James 2:21-22
You've been given the point James was making. It's yours to accept or reject. But it is the truth.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The NT command to be water baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus for the remission of sin is specifically stated in the Word of God. God commanded obedience in differing forms throughout the OT as well.
yeah it was a pattern they were actually baptized into Moses covenant in the cloud ( his word ) and passing through the Red Sea ( water) they even partook of communion with the quail and water from the rock

“Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

and did all eat the same spiritual meat; and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:1-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Baptism also goes back to creation being submerged and dying in the flood even as Noah and his family were saved by grace through faith by the same water

so even those of Noah’s days were submerged into death

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3-

Even those of Noah’s days before the flood came now have heard the gospel in death bekng baptized and submerged in the flood dying for sin literally

“For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: by which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭3:18-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Even they had passed through a submersion of water , hearing the preacher of righteousness Noahs word.
Then Moses and the people passed through the sea on dry ground and heard the word of Moses from the cloud.

now the reality of Christ has come and the figures of Noah’s time and Moses time witness of baptism for remission of sins ,in christs name through his death , and hearing the word of Christ.

Which is further witnessed in the prophets and ministry of John the Baptist preparing the world for Christ offering baptism for repentance and remission of sins.

Everyone was baptized in figures but now the reality has come being baptized in Jesus name for remission of sins , and accepting and believing the gospel is salvation

Jan 31, 2021
yeah it was a pattern they were actually baptized into Moses covenant in the cloud ( his word ) and passing through the Red Sea ( water) they even partook of communion with the quail and water from the rock

“Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

and did all eat the same spiritual meat; and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:1-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬
This passage relates to a REAL baptism, which is a REAL identification, rather than a ritual baptism, which is symbolic.

Baptism also goes back to creation being submerged and dying in the flood even as Noah and his family were saved by grace through faith by the same water
Noah was not "saved by grace through faith by the same water". He and family were "saved by grace through faith FROM the water".

If they hadn't been in the ark (picture of Christ), they would have died, not saved.

so even those of Noah’s days were submerged into death
And they were the ones who were immersed in water.

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3-
Are you tying people who were "submerged (immersed) into death" with believers being "baptized into His death"??

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
This passage relates to a REAL baptism, which is a REAL identification, rather than a ritual baptism, which is symbolic.

Noah was not "saved by grace through faith by the same water". He and family were "saved by grace through faith FROM the water".

If they hadn't been in the ark (picture of Christ), they would have died, not saved.

And they were the ones who were immersed in water.

Are you tying people who were "submerged (immersed) into death" with believers being "baptized into His death"??
I’m not interested in arguing with you about baptism sorry was just conversing with a brother who I agree with not looking to argue with someone who disagrees that never helps anyone ….

JeffA

Minstrel
Mar 31, 2022
ABSOLUTELY NOT and you are attaching the law of Moses unto Christ - this is error and going backwards.

By the Word of GOD you are opposing the Apostle Paul and the Finished Work of Christ's Sufferings on the Cross.

"When you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ.
He forgave us all our trespasses, having canceled the debt ascribed to us in the decrees that stood against us.
He took it away, nailing it to the cross!
And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath."
Colossians 2:13-16

Not once is the saturday sabbath requirement of the OLD Dead law repeated by CHRIST or the Apostles.

The law of GOD which was ministered in Genesis is the LORD Jesus Christ = HE is the LAW of GOD.

You either take the Blessed Yoke of Christ upon yourself and REST in HIM or you yoke yourself to the law which you cannot possibly keep in obedience to the FATHER.

All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father.
Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

My Brother JeffA, right now you do not understand the FULNESS of what the LORD said here - pray for understanding.

Peace and REST
when you lay your burden
upon HIM who did the Father's BEST
no man can further the finished work
that caused the SON to bear it's Girth
laid upon HIM was ALL our sin
that is how much HE is WORTH
old law is dead and gone
still around for those who have not been found
So, I can steal? Covet? Murder? as long as I am in Christ?
Explain to me which of the 10 commandments I can ignore.

BTW. Adam was not a Hebrew, yet he kept the 7th day Sabbath.
It has been around since creation so don't act like it started with Moses.

The command to keep the Sabbath is so that you know WHICH God you are worshipping.
The God named YHWH created the Sabbath. Baal (meaning = "Lord" in Hebrew) did not. Nor did Ashima.

My understanding is fine. We disagree on what the scripture says.
"I will give you rest" does NOT translate to "you don't have to honor the Sabbath Day".