Water Baptism-What Does God's Word Say?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The Prophet John the Baptist and His message:

Prior to John’s conception, which was miraculous in itself, an angel told his father Zacharias that his son would be:

Great in the sight of the Lord.
He would turn the Jews to the Lord their God.
He would make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;” Luke 1:67-69

John’s name was of utmost importance it spoke of a wonderful truth:

An angel told his father his son’s name would be John.

Due to his unbelief in the angel’s message he was struck dumb and was unable to speak until the day his son was circumcised.

When they came to circumcise baby John they called his name Zacharias, meaning the Lord has remembered, but his mother intervened and said not so, his name is John. Those present thought it odd because they had no family members with the name John. Normally babies were named after a family member. They questioned Zacharias and he wrote “His name is John,” on a tablet. Immediately Zacharias’ tongue was loosed.

The name John means God graciously gives. Ask yourself what God-given message was professed by John the Baptist; faith in the coming messiah, Jesus Christ and water baptism.

Consider, also, the following words spoken to Zacharias about his son:

“And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.´ Luke 1:76-79

John begins preaching about the coming messiah who will take away the sins of the world and water baptism for remission of those sins:

The Word of God came unto John the Baptist while he was in the wilderness. Notice John’s message was preached to those in the wilderness. The wilderness symbolizes the natural world wherein is spiritual darkness. Luke 3:2

John began preaching the need for water baptism for the remission of sin. (1st time remission of sin connected to water baptism) Luke 3:3 One sees the continuation of the message that sins are remitted in water baptism in Acts 2:38.

After Jesus secured salvation through His death, burial, and resurrection, all of mankind must step out in faith and get water baptized into the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
After Jesus secured salvation through His death, burial, and resurrection, all of mankind must step out in faith and get water baptized into the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins.
The cat is out the bag.

Thank you coming out and saying it straight how you believe it.

I respect that.

Now can you answer some of my other questions?:

1. Do you believe in the trinity. You explained it to me in some thread but I cant find it, could you do so again sir?
2. Do you believe that speaking in tongues is evidence of being baptized in the Holy Ghost?
3. Do you believe that individuals baptized into the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost do NOT have their sins remitted and will go to hell if they perish in that state?

Thanks bro for your answers if you wish to do so.

I ask just to see if thiis is oneness pentecostalism, or some other kind of deal.

As i stated in the previous thread, I believe baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is VALID. I also believe baptism in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit is VALID. Why? Because both are in the bible and i dont want to say that the catholics added or corrupted matthew 28:19-20 cause that would undermine the bible's authority and trustworthyness.

E

eternally-gratefull

The Prophet John the Baptist and His message:

Prior to John’s conception, which was miraculous in itself, an angel told his father Zacharias that his son would be:

Great in the sight of the Lord.
He would turn the Jews to the Lord their God.
He would make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;” Luke 1:67-69

John’s name was of utmost importance it spoke of a wonderful truth:

An angel told his father his son’s name would be John.

Due to his unbelief in the angel’s message he was struck dumb and was unable to speak until the day his son was circumcised.

When they came to circumcise baby John they called his name Zacharias, meaning the Lord has remembered, but his mother intervened and said not so, his name is John. Those present thought it odd because they had no family members with the name John. Normally babies were named after a family member. They questioned Zacharias and he wrote “His name is John,” on a tablet. Immediately Zacharias’ tongue was loosed.

The name John means God graciously gives. Ask yourself what God-given message was professed by John the Baptist; faith in the coming messiah, Jesus Christ and water baptism.

Consider, also, the following words spoken to Zacharias about his son:

“And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.´ Luke 1:76-79

John begins preaching about the coming messiah who will take away the sins of the world and water baptism for remission of those sins:

The Word of God came unto John the Baptist while he was in the wilderness. Notice John’s message was preached to those in the wilderness. The wilderness symbolizes the natural world wherein is spiritual darkness. Luke 3:2

John began preaching the need for water baptism for the remission of sin. (1st time remission of sin connected to water baptism) Luke 3:3 One sees the continuation of the message that sins are remitted in water baptism in Acts 2:38.

So Water baptism by the hands of men is more powerful than Holy Spirit baptism by the hand of God?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The cat is out the bag.

Thank you coming out and saying it straight how you believe it.

I respect that.

Now can you answer some of my other questions?:

1. Do you believe in the trinity. You explained it to me in some thread but I cant find it, could you do so again sir?
2. Do you believe that speaking in tongues is evidence of being baptized in the Holy Ghost?
3. Do you believe that individuals baptized into the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost do NOT have their sins remitted and will go to hell if they perish in that state?

Thanks bro for your answers if you wish to do so.

I ask just to see if thiis is oneness pentecostalism, or some other kind of deal.

As i stated in the previous thread, I believe baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is VALID. I also believe baptism in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit is VALID. Why? Because both are in the bible and i dont want to say that the catholics added or corrupted matthew 28:19-20 cause that would undermine the bible's authority and trustworthyness.
The post had only scripture backing up every point made. Consider that you came to your own conclusion when provided with the rightly divided Word.
I am not avoiding your other questions, and will comment probably tomorrow-short on time right now.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
So Water baptism by the hands of men is more powerful than Holy Spirit baptism by the hand of God?
Both baptisms are from God and necessary. Please read the scriptures provided as well as Peter's comments on the Day of Pentecost. Whether an individual chooses to acknowledge and obey what is recorded in the Word-no one can deny Peter's words are there in black and white.
My prayer is that God reveal what is clearly in His Word.

E

eternally-gratefull

Both baptisms are from God and necessary.
Thats not what the bible says. The bible says in th eelentary principles there is one baptism Which one saves it can’t be both

Please read the scriptures provided as well as Peter's comments on the Day of Pentecost. Whether an individual chooses to acknowledge and obey what is recorded in the Word-no one can deny Peter's words are there in black and white.
My prayer is that God reveal what is clearly in His Word.
I have read them 1000 times and I do not see what you see.. Your refusing to look at context and the type of baptism which is being spoken of. And as for acts, Your reading an english text which does not adequitly state what the greek states.

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
Just read the Old Testament and see the powerful works of God. Moses stretches forth his hand with a staff at the command of God...and what happened? The feet of the priests carrying the ark of the covenant touch the Jordan...and what happened? How about: God cannot lie. When He promises He will do something, He will do it.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Thats not what the bible says. The bible says in the elentary principles there is one baptism Which one saves it can’t be both
Amen! In Matthew 3:11, we read - I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Again, in Acts 1:5, we read - for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now. *TWO SEPARATE BAPTISMS.

By saying ONE baptism in Ephesians 4:5, Paul did not mean that there is only one baptism that exists such as water baptism but not Spirit baptism or Spirit baptism but not water baptism and he also did not mean that water baptism and Spirit baptism together make up ONE baptism either.

*There is only ONE baptism that places us into the body of Christ and that is SPIRIT baptism, not water baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 - one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
Amen! In Matthew 3:11, we read - I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Again, in Acts 1:5, we read - for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now. *TWO SEPARATE BAPTISMS.

By saying ONE baptism in Ephesians 4:5, Paul did not mean that there is only one baptism that exists such as water baptism but not Spirit baptism or Spirit baptism but not water baptism and he also did not mean that water baptism and Spirit baptism together make up ONE baptism either.

*There is only ONE baptism that places us into the body of Christ and that is SPIRIT baptism, not water baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
So then Holy Spirit baptism is a necessity! Is that the same as baptism of the Holy Spirit? And then also: So then BY the HOLY SPIRIT WE WERE ALL BAPTIZED (HOLY SPIRIT) into one body!

E

eternally-gratefull

Amen brother

Yet people want to replace the work of God with the work of man, and think that work of man willhave any power..

As paul said, we are spiritually circumcised by the hand of God in baptism by th eone who rose jesus from the dead (god himself)

E

eternally-gratefull

So then Holy Spirit baptism is a necessity! Is that the same as baptism of the Holy Spirit? And then also: So then BY the HOLY SPIRIT WE WERE ALL BAPTIZED (HOLY SPIRIT) into one body!
The word baptise is just an action word. Being baptised, or placed into christ (a better translation) is done by the hand of God. No water can do this.

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
The word baptise is just an action word. Being baptised, or placed into christ (a better translation) is done by the hand of God. No water can do this.
No water can do this. True.
No water can do this. False. If God says otherwise, it can. Just ask Naaman the leper! Physical, yes. But God did it.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Acts 10:43 - Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins.” While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. 45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, 47 “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?” 48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

Holy Spirit baptism is a necessity. Whether you call it baptism of the Holy Spirit or baptized with the Holy Spirit. It's the same.

Acts 11:16 - And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 “Therefore if God gave to them the same gift (Holy Spirit) as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” 18 When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
Acts 10:43 - Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins.” While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. 45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, 47 “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?” 48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

Holy Spirit baptism is a necessity. Whether you call it baptism of the Holy Spirit or baptized with the Holy Spirit. It's the same.

Acts 11:16 - And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 “Therefore if God gave to them the same gift (Holy Spirit) as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” 18 When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”
Why was the Holy Spirit poured out on the Gentiles in Acts 10; specifically, what was Peter's answer to the Jewish Christians in Acts? What relation is there with the Holy Spirit being poured out on Gentiles in Acts 10 and Peter's vision of all manner of beasts?
What is the gift of the Holy Spirit?
Here is the verse from early post: 1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
Preposition BY. By one Spirit doesn't say how they were all baptized.

E

eternally-gratefull

No water can do this. True.
No water can do this. False. If God says otherwise, it can. Just ask Naaman the leper! Physical, yes. But God did it.
It Can’t. If it could That would have been Gods way of salvation since day one.

E

eternally-gratefull

Why was the Holy Spirit poured out on the Gentiles in Acts 10; specifically, what was Peter's answer to the Jewish Christians in Acts? What relation is there with the Holy Spirit being poured out on Gentiles in Acts 10 and Peter's vision of all manner of beasts?
Here is the verse from early post: 1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
Again. Your misinterpreting the word baptise.

It says we were PLACED INTO one body by the Holy SPirit.

It does not say we were placed into water into the spirit by man and the spirit..

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
Again. Your misinterpreting the word baptise.

It says we were PLACED INTO one body by the Holy SPirit.

It does not say we were placed into water into the spirit by man and the spirit..
How? BY doesn't tell HOW. That's all I'm asking. How did the Holy Spirit place Corinthians into the body?
What is the gift of the Holy Spirit? What do you believe it is?
Thank you for responding.

E

eternally-gratefull

How? BY doesn't tell HOW. That's all I'm asking. How did the Holy Spirit place Corinthians into the body?
What is the gift of the Holy Spirit? What do you believe it is?
Thank you for responding.
GOD places us INTO the body of Christ.

What is so hard about this?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Why was the Holy Spirit poured out on the Gentiles in Acts 10; specifically, what was Peter's answer to the Jewish Christians in Acts?
Because they believed in Him (Jesus) and received forgiveness of sins. Peter's answer to the Jewish Christian in Acts? Which chapter and verse are you talking about?

What relation is there with the Holy Spirit being poured out on Gentiles in Acts 10 and Peter's vision of all manner of beasts?
In Acts 11 Peter was called into question by “those of the circumcision” (verse 2), that is, circumcised Jewish Christians, because of his fellowship with gentiles. In his defense he shared the story of the vision and the gentiles receiving God’s Spirit (verses 4-17). Notice their reaction in verse 18: “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.”

The unthinkable had happened. Non-Jews were now being incorporated into the plan of God. This, of course, was precisely the message of Peter’s vision, and everything to do with acceptance of people who, according to Jewish scruples, had been regarded as unclean.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is believers receiving the Holy Spirit and they are sealed unto the day of redemption. (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30)

It says by ONE SPIRIT we were all baptized into one body.. That's how they were all baptized.