Were Corinthians awaiting the second coming of Christ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
...in everything you have been enriched in Him, in all speech and all knowledge, 6as the testimony about Christ was confirmed in you, 7so as for you not to be lacking in any gift as you eagerly await the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8who also will sustain you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful...
1 Cor 1

The first idea I got in my mind while reading this is, that the text is saying that the church in Corinth got some prophetical words about the imminent return of Jesus Christ and were awaiting it. And Paul is saying that it is so, that they will live to the day of our Lord, because God is faithful (to the prophetical speech...).

Is it possible or do I miss something in the text?

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
It certainly is a contrast to the instruction that only those the 'endure to the end' will make it to glory. Here Paul says that it is Jesus that will 'keep that which is committed unto Him' i.e., the eternal keeping of their souls. Often Paul uses the word 'you' to include all that would ever read his inspired writings - not just to the immediate audience. Just as Jesus was speaking beyond the disciples when He promised them that "lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."

Paul knew that his writings would endure the ravishes of time - that God would preserve them throughout all of the coming days and that nothing would fail of them. If the Bible were written only to those that lived at the time of it's writing - they would long ago have vanished from the world.

One need only look to his words in a later epistle . . .

"Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?" (II Thessalonians 2:1-5).

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
One need only look to his words in a later epistle . . .

"Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?" (II Thessalonians 2:1-5).
The temple was still standing in Jerusalem when Paul wrote this... right?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
All the New Testament churches were anticipating the coming of Christ for His saints. That is "the Day of Christ", which corresponds to the day of the Resurrection/Rapture.

jb

Feb 27, 2010

Yes you are missing something!

The doctrine of the Second Coming of Christ is found from ALL the texts in the Bible, not just isolated ones (taken out of context)!

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
You did not miss nothing, you got it right. Jesus's coming is what is referred to as "...He is and was and is to come the Almighty.."- meaning that He is always coming until the end of age.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
The temple was still standing in Jerusalem when Paul wrote this... right?
Of course. Paul even got himself in a passel of trouble when he took some folks in the temple for a ceremony - one of which was supposed to be a Gentile.

Paul's ministry was to the Gentiles. Paul proclaimed in Acts, "Lo! We turn to the Gentiles" because the Jews rejected his Gospel. The thrust of his ministry was to now emphasize the new temple . . .

"Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:19-22).

Paul's religion included Jews and Gentiles on an equal footing - the Jew's did not. Paul elevated women to a position of equality with the man - Judaism certainly did not!

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
...in everything you have been enriched in Him, in all speech and all knowledge, 6as the testimony about Christ was confirmed in you, 7so as for you not to be lacking in any gift as you eagerly await the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8who also will sustain you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful...
1 Cor 1

The first idea I got in my mind while reading this is, that the text is saying that the church in Corinth got some prophetical words about the imminent return of Jesus Christ and were awaiting it. And Paul is saying that it is so, that they will live to the day of our Lord, because God is faithful (to the prophetical speech...).

Well put yourself in place of the people of the church in Corinth...

Are you eagerly awaiting the second coming of our LORD Jesus Christ?

I know i am.. I know that all Christians have been for many generations..

Do you want to be Sustained by His Atonement and be accounted as Blameless on the Day of the LORD when we shall be resurrected / raptured ?

I sure know i want to be sustained by His grace and be accounted as blameless on the Day of the LORD..

I think you are reading into the scriptures things that are not definitely being stated.. Like being sustained does not mean sustained in physical life until the coming of the LORD Jesus.. It means having the Atonement of the LORD covering you right up to and including the Day of the LORD.. And yes we eagerly await the second coming of Jesus because no one knows the day or the hour... We currently await while alive but millions of Saints who have died, including all the Corinth Saints to whom this letter was addressed are still waiting..

Revelation 6: KJV
{9} And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: {10} And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? {11} And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled."

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The quote from Revelation, above in Adstar's post, has always taken my mind to how there is a finit number of souls to be saved, until the number is fulfilled,.

This almost demonstrates how there are and will be more and more demons incarnate on this age right up to the very last moment. So do not scratch your head and wonder at the incredible number of "people" who believe and support lies…….Smile and kow that Jesus is returning soon.

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
I believe that Revelation 6:9-11 is referring to those that lose their lives during the Tribulation period. For decades, it has been believed and taught by Bible believers that the main form of execution, it is presumed, from this verse - will be the guillotine. However, recent events have shown us that there is a certain political/terrorist religion that enjoys sawing off the heads of infidels.

I do agree, though, that God foreknew the number of people that would be saved during the church age - and when that last person bows their heart to Christ - the trumpet will sound. It is one encouragement for the church to be actively engaged in a soul-winning ministry and to support missionaries.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
However, recent events have shown us that there is a certain political/terrorist religion that enjoys sawing off the heads of infidels.
Do you believe this certain ENTITY could be where the antichrist comes from? Or the beast or end time system OR relating to the mark of the beast somehow?

Its rise in the west and worldwide certainly relates to the end times in some way in my opinion!

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Do you believe this certain ENTITY could be where the antichrist comes from? Or the beast or end time system OR relating to the mark of the beast somehow?

Its rise in the west and worldwide certainly relates to the end times in some way in my opinion!
In the seventies, due to the writings of folks like Hal Lindsey, and more recently by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, it was believed that the Antichrist would come out of the Baltic states. Fact is, we just don't know until we know. The good thing is that being secure in the blood of Christ we never need find out - but many of our lost loved ones will . . . and that's sad.

Mar 28, 2016
In the seventies, due to the writings of folks like Hal Lindsey, and more recently by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, it was believed that the Antichrist would come out of the Baltic states. Fact is, we just don't know until we know. The good thing is that being secure in the blood of Christ we never need find out - but many of our lost loved ones will . . . and that's sad.
Many are waiting for some beast with horns and a tail to appear before they believe that antichrist is here as if we walked by sight and Satan did have a body we could observe with our eyes or touch with our hand.

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

Scripture reveals the anti Christ which is another mediator other than Christ not seen, also referred to as a daysman (Pope) . The outward Jew that rejects Christ has come in the flesh are considered anti-christs .Any man that insists we do need a man seen to teach us falls into the category of anti-christs .

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need "not" that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall "abide in" him.1 John 2:22-27

The spirit of anti-christ, Satan (singular )who works through the beast of the field man or in the affairs of men as the things of men, as antichrist's (many) were already here when the new testament was written.

Antichrist are simply those who teach we do need men to teach us, as that seen, and not the Holy Spirit, not seen .

A perfect example of the antichrists as the things of men seen as oral traditions that offend the things of God not seen is shown in Mathew 16: 22-23.

It why Catholicism has elected Peter as the Pope, the father of lies choice .

Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.Mathew 16: 22-23.

Peter was forgiven of His blasphemy against the Son of man (seen) who was there at that time period. Today blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (not seen) cannot be forgiven .

This shows us we walk by faith the unseen as the things of God and not by sight as the things of men or after Peter being influence by the spirit of the anti-christ .

Study the difference between the things of men seen, and that of God not seen. The antichrist(Satan) will flee

Some are looking outwardly today for the spirit of the antichrist. It as the father of lies has no form

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
The coming of the Lord is synonymous with resurrection and our gathering or being caught up together with the resurrected saints. It is now very clear to me that people have been misunderstanding these things for a long time.

Paul has been consistent throughout his letters, his thoughts have been that the coming of the Lord is a continuous thing, same as resurrection of the dead. Keen people will realize this fact but others will dismiss and fall back to the popular view.
A clear example is:

1 Cor 15:
12But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

29Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? 30And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour?31I face death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

Sep 9, 2018
Illinois
Many are waiting for some beast with horns and a tail to appear before they believe that antichrist is here as if we walked by sight and Satan did have a body we could observe with our eyes or touch with our hand.
And like a bad penny, garee is here

sung to the tune of the State Farm commercial[/b]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
1 Cor 1

Two things to notice in this passage:

1) "the day of our Lord Jesus Christ" (/of our Lord Jesus/of Christ Jesus; <--all of those sorts of phrases) refer to the time when "the Church which is His body" will be UP THERE "WITH [G4862 syn - denoting 'UNION'] Him" (that is, from the time of our Rapture [the meeting of the Lord... 'IN THE AIR']);

a) by contrast, the phrase "the Day of the Lord" (and 2Th2:3 should read THIS way) is always and only ever slated to transpire ON THE EARTH, and will involve "judgments" (the Thessalonians were under the impression, due to their present and ongoing NEGATIVE circumstances [2Th1] and due to false conveyors convincing them of this false info [2Th2:2 (2:15)], that "the day of the Lord IS PRESENT" [v.2] and Paul is telling them WHY this is NOT SO/NOT CORRECT [v.3 and following; and parts of the passage coupled with the noun-event of v.1 ("The Departure FIRST"=the noun-EVENT of v.1 [i.e. our Rapture]; the SEQUENCE is repeated 3x in this passage and is the SAME SEQUENCE as was laid out in 1Th4-5)]). "The Day of the Lord"/"IN THAT DAY" is an earthly time period of much duration

2) the phrase "in THE revelation of Jesus Christ" (with the definite article, like also in 2Th1:7 "repose with us in THE revelation") refers to the time when Jesus will begin to manifest Himself to Israel and to the world (via the Seals [note the "wrath" words in Ezekiel 38:18-19 (not to mention the related phrase 'IN THAT DAY')], which "war" I believe occurs in the "2nd SEAL Wars" time slot, fairly early in the future 7-yr trib [note also the important wording in Ezek39:7 (as well as that of 38:23)! and compare with Gen45:1c (fairly early in Joseph's 7-yr famine)], and via the Trumpets, and via the Vial/Bowls);

a) contrast this with the same phrase WITHOUT the definite article, used in 1 Peter 1:13, which reads, "being brought [present participle] to you IN revelation of Jesus Christ" ('fully set hope upon the grace being brought to you IN revelation of Jesus Christ [no definite article here]")

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ ...and to the reader who may be questioning the above, may I add that I believe that 1 Corinthians 15:28a [end of earthly MK (future)] corresponds with Ephesians 1:10... (meaning, I don't believe the phrase "in the dispensation of the fulness of times [...both which are in heaven, and which are on earth]" refers to "in the here and now," but rather, by the end of the earthly MK [the entire "day of the Lord [time period]" lasts throughout the earthly MK, but minus "the man of sin" et al]).

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Yes, some of them would be still alive at Christ's return - Paul told them that some of them would be alive to see His return.

If we compare what Paul wrote with what he wrote to the Thessalonians were get the same message:

2 Th 2:3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

2 Th 2:6 And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed.

The situation when Paul wrote the above is that the man of sin was being restrained, this means the man of sin was alive during this time, but was waiting to be "revealed" - after he was revealed the day of the Lord would come in their lifetimes not 1900 years later and counting:

Paul also stated that they would receive relief from persecution at the hands of the Jews at the return of Christ:

2 Th 1:4 therefore, we ourselves speak proudly of you among the churches of God for your perseverance and faith in the midst of all your persecutions and afflictions which you endure.

2 Th 1:6 For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you,

2 Th 1:7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,

Paul is saying that the Thessalonians would receive relief from persecution when the Lord was revealed when those who were afflicting/persecuting them would have the tables turned on them and become the afflicted.

If this did not happen in their lifetime then Paul was giving them false comfort and worse his inspiration is called into question.

We have testimony through the new testament that Christ's return would be in the life times of those that the letters were written to.

Heb 10:37 For, “In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay.”

All futurist "theologies" have the "little while" and the "delay" lasting 1970 years later and counting.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
1 Cor 1

Hello Trofimus,

Consider that when Paul wrote the detailed account of the gathering of the church in I Thes.4:13-17, he included himself and other believers of that time as those who would take part in being changed and caught up, as revealed in the following scripture:

"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise. 17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord."

So Paul included himself as one who would be alive when the Lord appeared. However, since the Lord's appearing is and has always been imminent and Paul was not privy to when it would take place, he believed that he would be alive when the church was gathered. However, Paul has been dead now for over 1900 and believers today are still awaiting the appearing of the Lord. He was being hopeful, just as every believer throughout the church period has been hopeful. However, today we have a better hope in that we are seeing the stages being set for the events that are to take place after the church has been gathered. That being so, we are very, very close to the Lord removing the church form the earth.

The reference to "who also will sustain you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ" is simply saying that the Lord will sustain them as being blameless until they either die or until the Lord appears. Looking back we know that it would mean that they were sustained until their deaths, because again, the Lord's appearing has not yet taken place.

Oct 12, 2012
Yes Trofimus they were awaiting the second coming of the Lord in that generation. Good word Locutus! Clear and simple!! (y)