Were Corinthians awaiting the second coming of Christ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Locutus,

[regarding the HEBREWS verse you supplied] Do you see any correlation in the following:

Hab2:2-3 [bsb] -

"2 Then the LORD answered me: “Write down this vision and clearly inscribe it on tablets, so that a herald may run with it. 3 For the vision awaits an appointed time [lam-mō-w-‘êḏ H4150 'the appointed']; it testifies of the end, and will not lie. Though it lingers, wait for it, since it will surely come and not delay."

[I tend to see this as relating to "the OT prophecies" concerning "the future things" (not 'this present age'), such as is mentioned in Revelation 10:7(v.6 also, in relation, which says, "no more delay"), and this seems to be said during the "Sixth Trumpet/2nd Woe" events, Rev9:13, which I see as occurring about 3/4 of the way through the future 70th-Week/7-yrs [leading UP TO Christ's Second Coming to the earth] (whereas the "7th Trumpet/3rd Woe" events follows this, Rev11:14-15); meaning, relating to His Second Coming to the earth, FOR the promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom [promised to ISRAEL, not to "the Church which is His body"] (that is, not our Rapture)]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ Also, 2Thess2:3 needs to be understood in its context (referring to "the Day of the Lord [earthly time period]" which they wrongly thought "IS PRESENT").

"IN THAT DAY" when used in the same context as its related phrase "the Day of the Lord" (which 2Th1 and 2 use BOTH of these phrases in this CONTEXT), it becomes more clear that this is referring to an EARTHLY TIME PERIOD (that they wrongly believed "IS PRESENT"--Paul is telling them WHY this is NOT SO/NOT CORRECT [that is, why it CANNOT "BE PRESENT"]).

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Locutus,

[regarding the HEBREWS verse you supplied] Do you see any correlation in the following:

Hab2:2-3 [bsb] -

"2 Then the LORD answered me: “Write down this vision and clearly inscribe it on tablets, so that a herald may run with it. 3 For the vision awaits an appointed time [lam-mō-w-‘êḏ H4150 'the appointed']; it testifies of the end, and will not lie. Though it lingers, wait for it, since it will surely come and not delay."
Hard to say whether Paul has Habakkuk in mind in Hebrews other than pointing out that the return of Christ would be without delay and was as sure as the Habakkuk prophecy and was not delayed.

tend to see this as relating to "the OT prophecies" concerning "the future things" (not 'this present age'), such as is mentioned in Revelation 10:7(v.6 also, in relation, which says, "no more delay"), and this seems to be said during the "Sixth Trumpet/2nd Woe" events, Rev9:13, which I see as occurring about 3/4 of the way through the future 70th-Week/7-yrs [leading UP TO Christ's Second Coming to the earth] (whereas the "7th Trumpet/3rd Woe" events follows this, Rev11:14-15); meaning, relating to His Second Coming to the earth, FOR the promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom [promised to ISRAEL, not to "the Church which is His body"] (that is, not our Rapture)]
I really don't see a connection with Habakkuk and John's Revelation as the prophecy was dealing with the Jewish downfall at the hands of the Chaldeans

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Ok, thanks for your thoughts Locutus.

I'm inclined to agree with what one commentator says, here:

[quoting]

"In the next place we hear of the certainty of the vision. It is for the appointed time. It hastes toward the end, and shall not lie. The prophet is commanded to wait for it, though it tarry, and then receives the assurance that it will surely come and not tarry. These are important instructions by which many a believer might profit. God has an appointed time for all His purposes and their fulfillment. He cannot be hastened, for His schedule was made before the foundation of the world. When the appointed time comes all visions will be accomplished. It hastens toward the end. That end is the end of the times of the Gentiles, which began with the rising of the Babylonians, and the first great king, Nebuchadnezzar, the golden head in the prophetic image of Daniel 2:1-49. When the end of the times of the Gentiles comes, the world-power then, final Babylon as revealed in the last book of the Bible, will be judged and the Lord will be manifested in all His glory. The prophet’s business is, as well as that of every believer, to wait for it and not be disturbed if there is delay, for the assurance is given that it will surely come and not tarry. And here faith can rest.
[…]
"And now the righteous Lord announces the five-fold woe upon the wicked world-power. While all this applies primarily to the Chaldean, it is likewise a prophecy concerning the future. The world powers remain the same to the end of the times of the Gentiles."
--Arno C Gaebelein, on Habakkuk 2

[bold and underline mine]

[the phrase "the TIMES of the Gentiles" running from 606bc to the END of the future trib (Rev11:2 / Lk21:24; though not straight through without break); think: Neb's dream/statue/image, of which he was the "head of gold"; i.e. Gentile domination over Israel, concluding at the time of Christ's 2nd Coming to the earth [Rev19] (like in Dan7:25,27 and Dan2:35,44-45); distinct from the phrase "the FULNESS of the Gentiles"]

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
I sure know i want to be sustained by His grace and be accounted as blameless on the Day of the LORD..QUOTE]

Day of the Lord vs Day of Christ

Day of the Lord - Verse highlights
Isa 2:12-12 Man humbled. Isa 13:4-6 Battle, indignation, destruction

Jer 46:10 Vengeance, the sword shall devour

Eze 13:5 A battle in the day of the LORD

Joel 1:15 Day of the LORD, destruction. Joel 2:11 The day of the LORD is great and very terrible

Amos 5:18 The day of the LORD is darkness

Zephaniah 1:14 The great day of the LORD is near the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.

15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble,distress, wasteness, desolation, darkness, gloominess

Zephaniah 2:3 In the day of the LORD'S anger

Zechariah 14:

1 The day of the LORD cometh spoil shall be divided

2 I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle & the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

Day of the Lord - Synopsis:
Man humbled, Battle, indignation, destruction, vengeance, the sword shall devour, destruction, great & very terrible, darkness, mighty man shall cry bitterly, a day of wrath, a day of trouble, distress, waste, desolation, gloominess, anger, houses rifled, women ravished

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ

Do the 12 posted scriptures on: The Day of the Lord, sound like a blessed hope?

Day of Christ - Verse highlights:

Thess 1:
1 Thes is written to the body of Christ (Believers) in Thessalonica.

2 Thes 2:
1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand
(NOTE: Verse 1: Believers, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ where we are gathered to/by Christ

Verse 2: Believers, be at peace, "the day of Christ" is near)

Phil 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
(Day of Christ)

Phil 1:10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;
(Day of Christ)

Phil 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.
(NOTE: Day of Christ - I don't see anything to rejoice about in the 12 scriptures posted on the Day of the Lord

The Day of Christ: Is a day that The Body of Christ/Believers/Church, WILL REJOICE!. That's every person baptised into CHRIST, via the Holy Spirit, by Christ Himself. Jn 1:33)

1 Thess 4:
16 The Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel & with the trump of God: the dead in Christ shall rise first

17 Then we which are alive & remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: so shall we ever be with the Lord

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words
(NOTE: The Day of Christ is the Catching-up of: The Body of Christ/Believers/Church. Happens 1st, believers meet the Lord in the air. Go to the Judgement Seat of Christ, while the unbelieving world suffers the tribulation period. And when the Lord physically returns, the saints are with him.

Isa 26:
20 "Come my people, enter our (bridal) chambers & shut the door behind you, "hide yourself until the indignation (wrath) is past"

Zec 14:5 On that day His feet will stand on Mt Olive. The Mt will split in 2 from east to west. Then the Lord your God will come, & "all the saints with Him"
(NOTE: Believers are WITH him!" These are the caught-up/raptured, body of Christ/the Church)

Jude 14 Behold, the Lord "cometh" with 10 thousands of his saints
(NOTE: The caught-up/raptured saints are WITH him!)

1 Thessalonians 3:13 (B) "at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints"
(NOTE: When Christ physically returns The caught-up/raptured saints are WITH him!)

Believers, Let not your heart be troubled:

John 14:1 Jesus said; Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

2 (B) I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Believers, rejoice, comfort each other, because the promised blessed hope - Titus 2:13. The Day of Christ, will soon be our reality!

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Jesus is LORD ....

1 Corinthians 12: KJV
3 "Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost."

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I got a question for post-tribbers:

How do you explain the verses that speak about the imminent return of the Lord? Its talked about constantly and anticipated, how can it be if we need to see the abomination of desolation first?

Could it be its talking about two different events?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The greatest tribulation ever to come upon this world is but seven years by calculations made by many. Even if that figure is off a bit, the time is short and cannot effect that the Lord is returning soon in any manner..

Let us say that since the time of Adam there are very close to six thousand years being fulfilled, and there is the dawn of the seventh millinium at our doorstep.

Those seven thousand years are but a week to God, and Jesus would have come here on fourth day of the week. There have only been two days since He ascended, well, almost two days.

Does all of this sound nuts,? Well it makes a lot of sense to me.