What a is a Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 30, 2019
Hi everyone!

I would first like to define what it means to be a Christian. The word Christian appears 2 times in the Bible, and the word Christians one time (It's found in I Peter 4:16, Acts 11:26, and Acts 26:27). The word "Christian" means to be Christ-like, and if we look at words like "In Christ", it appears 78 times in the Bible, "in Christ Jesus" 40 times, and "in Jesus Christ" 4 times. God has more to say about those phrases, than Christian or Christians.

Romans 12:5 says,
"5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another."

Ephesians 3:6 says,
"6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:"

In these verses we can see that to be in Christ, or a real Christian, you must have believed in the I Corinthians 1-4 gospel.

Matthew 7:21 says,
"21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Ephesians 1:13 says,
"13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,"

There are people who call themselves Christians, but they haven't believed! They need to first hear, understand, and believe!

Just wanted to clarify this because there are many people who claim to be Christians, or in Christ, but they haven't even believed in the free gift of salvation.

If you haven't believed, look at Romans 3:25 says,
"25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

Ephesians 2:8-9 says,
"8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

And God's gospel revealed through Paul is I Corinthians 15:1-4, and it says,

"MOREOVER, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"

Christ shed his blood on the cross for all of our sins, past, present, and future, just because he loved us. Jesus suffered pains, we will never feel, just because he loved us. He is so graceful to us, that he gave us his finished work, of believing in his shed blood, for forgiveness of sins.

Are you saved? If not, I suggest you come to Christ.

God's grace be with you!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Being a Christian is being Christ-like. Truthfully, I haven't met very many that meet this prerequisite.

May 30, 2019
Being a Christian is being Christ-like. Truthfully, I haven't met very many that meet this prerequisite.
The word "Christian", means being Christ-like, but the apostles have more to say about being in Christ, in Christ Jesus, and in Jesus Christ.

"6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:"

Paul is writing this epistle, and he says that you are in Christ, once you believe in his gospel, which is I Corinthians 15:1-4. This means trusting that Christ died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day, according to the scriptures. According to that verse, once you have believed, you are in Christ!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The word "Christian", means being Christ-like, but the apostles have more to say about being in Christ, in Christ Jesus, and in Jesus Christ.

Paul is writing this epistle, and he says that you are in Christ, once you believe in his gospel, which is I Corinthians 15:1-4. This means trusting that Christ died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day, according to the scriptures. According to that verse, once you have believed, you are in Christ!
I believe that to be true as well.