What are you reading?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Monnkai

Mar 18, 2014
right now I'm reading the first volume of Spooksville by Christopher Pike 5146SXQANEL.jpg It's Goosebumpish book cover attracted me to the series in the early 2000's I since then amassed hundreds of books with similar art style "Bonechillers" "Spinetinglers" "Spinechillers"ect ect. The books where re-released a few years ago when the tv show of the same name came out. Why they suddenly decided to take a book series that ran in the mid nineties and make it into a 2014 tv show I'll never know. Although they did the same with DeadTime Stories another series I've collected on Nickelodeon. If I remember correctly the Spooksville series was actually pretty violent and not really at the age range it said it was at. Christopher Pike has quite a few violent adult books. Monster I read in 4th grade because it was in our home room for some reason and it was full of sex and gore. Apparently they didn't read the books before they bought them lol Anyway this thread is about what your currently reading. Describe the book if you wish and tell us whats it about.

J

joefizz

right now I'm reading the first volume of Spooksville by Christopher Pike View attachment 177601 It's Goosebumpish book cover attracted me to the series in the early 2000's I since then amassed hundreds of books with similar art style "Bonechillers" "Spinetinglers" "Spinechillers"ect ect. The books where re-released a few years ago when the tv show of the same name came out. Why they suddenly decided to take a book series that ran in the mid nineties and make it into a 2014 tv show I'll never know. Although they did the same with DeadTime Stories another series I've collected on Nickelodeon. If I remember correctly the Spooksville series was actually pretty violent and not really at the age range it said it was at. Christopher Pike has quite a few violent adult books. Monster I read in 4th grade because it was in our home room for some reason and it was full of sex and gore. Apparently they didn't read the books before they bought them lol Anyway this thread is about what your currently reading. Describe the book if you wish and tell us whats it about.
I'm reading this thread.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
Well Joe beat me to the funny post . So I will post what I am really reading at the moment.
Bible of course.
Dictionary those are fun .
Foundarion series by Isaac Asimov
also the occasional road sign lol
Blessings
Bill

Feb 28, 2016
finished the Prophets once again, and starting Matt. - this is always heartbreaking for me
as I always break-down when I begin the reading up to and about our Saviour's, crucifixtion...
but I am mature enough now, at my age, to understand His precious PLAN for mankind...

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I just finished a biography of Samuel Pepys. Now, I am starting The Lost Weekend by Charles Jackson. It is a novel about an alcoholic writer who dries out over a weekend, and his experiences with getting sober. It was written in 1944 and made into a movie with the same title starring Ray Milland and Jane Wyman. The film won the Oscar for Best Picture. It is one of the first novels that dealt with alcoholism and getting sober, I mean the psychological and physiological experiences of getting sober. I liked the film very much, so looking forward to the book.

Feb 7, 2015
Presently, I am reading a book called: The Theology of Christian Resistance.

It's mainly a pretty heavily Theological bunch of talks about John Calvin. I have to admit that it is one of the toughest books I have read since school.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I finished reading The Lost Weekend. It was very well written, but depressing. In the book, the alcoholic does not get better. The film is far more hopeful. I read The Midwife by Jennifer Worth. She was a nurse in London’s East End in the 1950s. The BBC show Call the Midwife is based on her memoirs. It was not well written, but okay- and had the ring of truth about them. I am now reading South Moon Under by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. She is the author if The Yearling. It is about poor people who lived in the interior of Florida.

Feb 7, 2015
Well Joe beat me to the funny post . So I will post what I am really reading at the moment.
Bible of course.
Blessings
Bill
I haven't heard many other people express that view. Growing up, my favorite sets of books were the World Book Encyclopedia, and The Classics For Young People.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
welp, this is my 3rd time starting this book. lol i have a habit of starting books, then get busy with life, forget about book, remembering book, then starting from the beginning cuz i've forgotten what i've read. lol.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I haven't heard many other people express that view. Growing up, my favorite sets of books were the World Book Encyclopedia, and The Classics For Young People.
Ambrose Bierce’s The Devil’s Dictionary and Samuel Johnson’s Dictionary are probably fun reads (I’ve read excerpts from both, but not either one in its entirety). I can’t imagine ordinary dictionaries to be much fun to read, but to each his own.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I finished reading South Moon Under. I thought it was quite good. I read Elisabeth Elliott’s book Shadow of the Almighty. It is a biography of her late husband, Jim Elliott. It was a bit of a disappointment, as parts were rather boring, and I had to slog through the book. But, I must say, Jim Elliott did more for God than I ever did or will do, so I should not criticize him. I am starting to read Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene. I’m really excited about reading this one. It is supposed to be very funny and I think will appeal to my sense of humor, which is weirdly British in some ways. I like the absurdity and the word play of British humor.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yesterday, I finished reading "Intimate Allies" by Dan Allender and Tremper Longman III. It's about marriage. I recommend it.

My next read arrived in the mail the day before: "Love and War" by John Eldredge. A V-Day gift from my gf... I'm wondering which she's recommending. ;)

J

joefizz

Bible of course.
Blessings
Bill
Joefizz is just lucky I guess.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I finished reading Travels with My Aunt, it was funny and lively. I started reading The Odyssey by Homer today. I have read bits, but not The Odyssey in its entirety. I was recently going through my treasure (a hoard of books) and found some volumes printed by Harvard University as part of their “five foot shelf of knowledge” that I had bought for a dollar each. They are from 1937, and it looks like they were never read (sadly). The Odyssey is one of these volumes. It is extremely easy to read, especially if you were raised on the King James Bible.

I know people might think the King James is outdated, but I think if you are raised on the King James, it makes reading literature and poetry a snap, because you are already acquainted with archaic words and poetry as prose. My opinion, of course.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i'm currently binge-ing George MacDonald books. he was C.S. Lewis's mentor, writing fiction with types of Christ built into the narrative.

finished '
At the Back of the North Wind' recently & just started 'There and Back'

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

i'm currently binge-ing George MacDonald books. he was C.S. Lewis's mentor, writing fiction with types of Christ built into the narrative.

finished '
I love George MacDonald. He wrote poetry, if you are interested. The Princess and the Goblin is sweet.

A

AuntieAnt

Been reading online writings of Jim Minker and Lloyd Ellefson.

T

Tinuviel

finished '
This is crazy...I just came on here to say I had just finished "There and Back" (the revised version, "The Baron's Apprenticeship" actually, but same story). Actually, I'm rather bingeing George MacDonald books myself. It's the third one of his I've read since Monday...I've found it's the only way I can read MacDonald. He has a page-turning talent like you wouldn't believe. I cannot say I'm a fan of a lot of his theology, but he can spin a good yarn.