What Are You Waiting For?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hoss2576

Senior Member
May 10, 2014
552
23
18
I don’t think I had truly experienced loss until this month. A man who had been my friend, mentor, and, in a lot of ways, a personal hero died. It’s not the first time someone I loved has died, but I fear there is a finality with his death that is difficult to come to grips with.

When my grandpa passed nearly ten years ago, I felt the loss. He was a great man of integrity who I learned some great lessons, and my older siblings and I were raised in part by him for part of our childhood. Even now when I reflect back on when he passed, I don’ remember the sense of loss or the weeping I have endured this month. It isn’t that I loved my grandpa less than my friend who passed, not in the least, but there wasn’t the finality then that I feel now.

When my grandpa died those years ago, there was no doubt I would see him again. He was such a strong believer in Christ and had spent years sharing the gospel. As a believer, I know I will see him again. Today though with my friend passing away, I don’t have that reassurance, quite the opposite. My friend was an intellectual. He was so brilliant some would be afraid to talk to him simply because they couldn’t follow the topics he could discuss. Often I found myself lost in our conversations, but he was also a man who was there for me and brought me back when I wanted to end my own life.

I never discussed Christ with him for simple fear of not wanting to argue Christ with Him and fear of not being a strong enough spokesman for Christ. I would give anything for those opportunities again. I had made the mistake of thinking it was my job to convert Him, when only now can I say that was never my job. My job was to be obedient to God in the times He has led me to speak to someone about Him. God will deal with them and work on their hearts, I can’t do that.

There is a finality now, because I don’t think I will see my friend again. There won’t be a joyous reunion in Heaven where I can thank him for all he did for me. The Bible tells us that we don’t know the day or the hour of Christ’s return. We also don’t know the day or the hour when those friends and loved ones will no longer be with us on this earth. As a believer in Christ, don’t let this life be the last time you see them.

What are you waiting for?
 
Hoss: I can't believe I am reading this. I don't usually come over to read blogs,
I just bring my own. But, the topic is so strange because just yesterday, 6-7-14,
I was thinking of a guy I had known as a friend and how he died suddenly of a
heart attack. He owned a store and I saw him often. I was thinking how I grieved
after he died because I had the opportunity at some point to share Jesus with him
at his store. I never wept so hard at a death, other than my daughters, like I did
him. I am like you... I know I won't see him in Heaven. His lifestyle did not show
he knew Christ. He sang karaoke, something I did not know until one of the girls
let me hear his tape of him singing.....I Did It My Way.....Oh goodness tears dripped
off my face onto my shirt. I still feel the sting of my sin of not sharing Jesus with him.
 
I was just thinking about the possibility of not seeing my loved ones in eternity. It's a scary thought as they are all precious to me. What comforts me though is that the Lord is just, gracious, and sovereign. The Lord be gracious to me and my family.