What are your relationship dealbreakers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
Shouldn't Christians be turning away from the things of the world?

There's a lot of good Christian music that is far more meaningful than anything the secular people put out.

I will choose what I listen to, thank you. And I'll be listening to Chicago (and any other music I choose) until I am physically incapable.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I will choose what I listen to, thank you. And I'll be listening to Chicago (and any other music I choose) until I am physically incapable.
Surely you have heard such things before.

Just yawn and move on to a different conversation. The only winning move here is to not play.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022

There's a lot of good Christian music that is far more meaningful than anything the secular people put out.
I've thought about this topic a lot as well. While I think that everyone feels the same, and our conscience is the same, on the major issues, there are a lot of other areas where we may feel differently and our conscience is different. If God is pushing you away from something, you should listen. While I listen to secular music and watch secular movies, I would not convince someone who only listens to Christian music, etc. to do the same. The truth is, there are not a lot of great Christian movies on par with Hollywood quality. They are usually low budget films and follow a standard script. There is no Christian comedy/sitcoms, for example. Of course, we should be careful about being exposed to bad stuff.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"Should Christians listen to secular music" is what a gardener would call a hardy perennial of a topic. You can count on it to sprout at least once a year, grow fast, put out a lot of flowers, die off, but you know it will be back next year. It will keep coming back now and then until the end of time.

Here's the latest bouquet of secular music flowers:

https://christianchat.com/christian-music-forum/very-telling.212945/

I have a few posts in that thread, so I will spare y'all repeating them here.

Dec 29, 2023

Well, enjoy it while you can because music that is not lifting up Jesus blessing the Father will not be found in God's Kingdom.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Susanna

Apr 14, 2023
Galveston and Houston

We don’t really know the minds of people making music. Their music can be uplifting even though our own limited knowledge thinks otherwise.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
It was certainly a great decade for rock music.
One of my favorite songs of any genre/decade is Chicago's Make Me Smile. But there are so many great songs from the 70s.

Call me a relic, call me what you will. Today's music ain't got the same soul.
With that old time rock and roll> lol are we going to break into song here?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Eh... I like the song, but I disagree with the premise. Today's music does have the same soul, if you know where to look.

There's just SO MUCH of today's music, because it's a lot easier to make music today - anybody with a laptop can make a whole hit song, and many do - that you have to look harder to find real music now.

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
I used that lyric since it went along with the decade of music that me and zeroturbulence were talking about. Seger did that song over a decade before 90s alternative rock and at one time alternative was all I listened to. These days I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for, which is almost always rock from one decade or another...but I do tend to prefer older music than today's music.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Eh... I like the song, but I disagree with the premise. Today's music does have the same soul, if you know where to look.

There's just SO MUCH of today's music, because it's a lot easier to make music today - anybody with a laptop can make a whole hit song, and many do - that you have to look harder to find real music now.
true

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
I used that lyric since it went along with the decade of music that me and zeroturbulence were talking about. Seger did that song over a decade before 90s alternative rock and at one time alternative was all I listened to. These days I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for, which is almost always rock from one decade or another...but I do tend to prefer older music than today's music.
Yeah I remember Seger, my parents used to listen to him. I don't really listen to any music anymore.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
Well, enjoy it while you can because music that is not lifting up Jesus blessing the Father will not be found in God's Kingdom.
All the music we have now, even the Christian music, will likely be too low quality to be in Heaven. I picture the music in Heaven to be very high quality, in perfect tune, etc. Gregorian chants with many instrumentation. A lot of Christian music now have lyrics of suffering, etc. I doubt they will be in Heaven.

Aug 2, 2009
I don't remember the scripture where it says listening non-christian music is a sin. Or maybe everything that's non-christian or doesn't glorify God is a sin? For example, washing a car would be a sin because it glorifies the car and not God. Buying clothes simply because they look good on you is a sin because it glorifies you instead of God.