What are Your Thoughts About Financially Independent Women?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 3, 2020
Men are waking up to strong independent i dont need a man for nothing attitudes in the west. It was sold as hey young man u will benefit. No alimony less childsupport more money to pay bills. How can u argue with that. However none of those things have happened. In my state there were multiple public court cases where a licensed practicing fulltime female doctor was awarded alimony from her exhusband. Career women actually receive the most child support of any demographic. Women with college degrees top the divorce initiation rate.

As a man it is no fun to live with a woman who goes to work listens to and does everything her boss says for years. It never crosses her mind shes not going to do what her boss tells her. Then she comes home and will not listen to a word you say. Does not care if you are happy at all. Millions of women have been selling this to men for decades. Recently it has turned into my way or the highway from independent women. Men are taking the highway.

Women iced men out to accept this deal for decades. With no other options they took it. After decades they can see the results and many are not interested. Either bring something of value to men to the table or b prepared to die alone. You should retitle this to i want to die alone whos with me.

T

TheIndianGirl

My mom's side of the family is strongly of that pioneer stock. It's trickled down to the present due in part to religious conviction and country upbringing. Almost everyone in my immediate and extended family bailed hay, tapped syrup, butchered animals, stacked wood, and harvested corn at some point during the year; even if it was on an ad hoc basis as it was for me.

Modern women and pioneer women are not the same beneath that veneer. Living with the land and settling the unsettled instill a certain set of virtues; a different kind of grit that is resolute in subduing the earth, but knowledgeable of one's place in nature.

Bitchiness has a petty quality to it. It is feminine aggression targeting things that do not call for feminine aggression. It's non-essential, complaint department trash. Pioneer women generally knew when they ought to be a fox and when they ought to be a lion. Same goes for men. Modern Westerners do not and we are throwing away the corpus of wisdom what would have led us to virtue without bailing hay.

Alas.
Quarrelsome/nagging wives existed since the beginning of time, and were mentioned in the Bible. Sarah though a good woman seems a bit bitchy. Not much has changed. Now women do not have to live under the threat of physical violence, maybe that's what has change and so they say their piece. Whereas before, they would have not said it.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I think the question is whether the trend of the modern bitch I defined above was more common or less common in antiquity (this is starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch), the Sarah anecdote notwithstanding.

It's possible physical violence played a role, but there were doubtless other factors. That and there is a difference between saying one's piece and being a Karen.

Was I lucky that I had a string of women in my family (mother, grandmother, great-grand mother) who were constitutionally strong yet not bitchy? Is this an anomaly?

Quarrelsome/nagging wives existed since the beginning of time, and were mentioned in the Bible. Sarah though a good woman seems a bit bitchy. Not much has changed. Now women do not have to live under the threat of physical violence, maybe that's what has change and so they say their piece. Whereas before, they would have not said it.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Men are waking up to strong independent i dont need a man for nothing attitudes in the west. It was sold as hey young man u will benefit. No alimony less childsupport more money to pay bills. How can u argue with that. However none of those things have happened. In my state there were multiple public court cases where a licensed practicing fulltime female doctor was awarded alimony from her exhusband. Career women actually receive the most child support of any demographic. Women with college degrees top the divorce initiation rate.

As a man it is no fun to live with a woman who goes to work listens to and does everything her boss says for years. It never crosses her mind shes not going to do what her boss tells her. Then she comes home and will not listen to a word you say. Does not care if you are happy at all. Millions of women have been selling this to men for decades. Recently it has turned into my way or the highway from independent women. Men are taking the highway.

Women iced men out to accept this deal for decades. With no other options they took it. After decades they can see the results and many are not interested. Either bring something of value to men to the table or b prepared to die alone. You should retitle this to i want to die alone whos with me.
Either bring something of value to men to the table or b prepared to die alone. You should retitle this to i want to die alone whos with me.
My goodness, Treeboy, I have read a few of your posts and I'm sorry for whatever you've been through, but you always come across as sounding like a venomous snake towards women. Posts like yours are exactly why I pay for the guy on the first date, even if he asked -- so that he can't come back and say I used him for anything.

You might take the time to notice that this thread's original post is actually written from the opposite frame of mind of what you're describing. And it was meant to give people hope that there are alternatives to life rather than placing all your bets on finding one magical person. It might not mean finding the life you thought you wanted, but it might mean finding a different, and just as meaningful, life.

The other day I remembered an old song (doctored to my situation) that described exactly how I felt when my then-husband left: "I got time while (he) got freedom... 'Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't break even."

I couldn't understand why he had found the freedom to run off with this girl, while I felt like I had been sentenced to Life Without Parole in Solitary Confinement. One of my biggest sorrows was thinking, "How will I ever be able to go anywhere (travel) without a husband?" But I learned how to get around that -- by using all my spare time to work, save up everything I could, and find awesome single, responsible friends who are able to travel together, including going on cruises. And I no longer worry about dying alone. I've lived several decades of my life around senior citizens, and I've seen that having a spouse and even children or grandchildren is still no guarantee that one won't die alone.

At the very least, you could wind up outliving all the ones who were willing to have anything to do with you, which I've seen happen.

As far as having things to offer a man... The last time I went to buy a car, the guy who went to check my credit came back and told the salesperson to be nice to me because my credit score was higher than his, lol. The thing was, I didn't even need a credit score because I bought the car in cash. Granted, that was nearly 10 years ago and the car still runs perfectly so there's no need to replace it, but when I do, I'll have saved enough to buy the next one in cash as well. And I know several other women who are either in, or approaching, this category as well.

I hope the guys out there don't believe that every woman is a soul-sucking, gold-digging vampire as described in your post. Sheesh.

And none of this is to try to give myself any credit -- I just tried my best to listen to Godly counsel. And the whole point of this thread was to get a conversation started about being different from the rest of the world and the stereotypes that others try to pigeonhole us into. I'm trying to encourage singles, both men and women, to break out of the boxes that both society and the church try to shove us into, because we can be something different.

I do agree that everyone, both men and women, need to bring something to the table when seeking a relationship. We live in a culture where even in Christian circles, it feels like it's all take and no give, and of course, that's not how God wants us to be.

But I often ask myself what the balance is between what God expects our own expectations to be vs. how much we should also be willing to sacrifice, especially since so many people have fallen upon such tough times, and one of the pillars of the Christian life is to "deny ourselves."

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
My goodness, Treeboy, I have read a few of your posts and I'm sorry for whatever you've been through, but you always come across as sounding like a venomous snake towards women. Posts like yours are exactly why I pay for the guy on the first date, even if he asked -- so that he can't come back and say I used him for anything.

You might take the time to notice that this thread's original post is actually written from the opposite frame of mind of what you're describing. And it was meant to give people hope that there are alternatives to life rather than placing all your bets on finding one magical person. It might not mean finding the life you thought you wanted, but it might mean finding a different, and just as meaningful, life.

The other day I remembered an old song (doctored to my situation) that described exactly how I felt when my then-husband left: "I got time while (he) got freedom... 'Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't break even."

I couldn't understand why he had found the freedom to run off with this girl, while I felt like I had been sentenced to Life Without Parole in Solitary Confinement. One of my biggest sorrows was thinking, "How will I ever be able to go anywhere (travel) without a husband?" But I learned how to get around that -- by using all my spare time to work, save up everything I could, and find awesome single, responsible friends who are able to travel together, including going on cruises. And I no longer worry about dying alone. I've lived several decades of my life around senior citizens, and I've seen that having a spouse and even children or grandchildren is still no guarantee that one won't die alone.

At the very least, you could wind up outliving all the ones who were willing to have anything to do with you, which I've seen happen.

As far as having things to offer a man... The last time I went to buy a car, the guy who went to check my credit came back and told the salesperson to be nice to me because my credit score was higher than his, lol. The thing was, I didn't even need a credit score because I bought the car in cash. Granted, that was nearly 10 years ago and the car still runs perfectly so there's no need to replace it, but when I do, I'll have saved enough to buy the next one in cash as well. And I know several other women who are either in, or approaching, this category as well.

I hope the guys out there don't believe that every woman is a soul-sucking, gold-digging vampire as described in your post. Sheesh.

And none of this is to try to give myself any credit -- I just tried my best to listen to Godly counsel. And the whole point of this thread was to get a conversation started about being different from the rest of the world and the stereotypes that others try to pigeonhole us into. I'm trying to encourage singles, both men and women, to break out of the boxes that both society and the church try to shove us into, because we can be something different.

I do agree that everyone, both men and women, need to bring something to the table when seeking a relationship. We live in a culture where even in Christian circles, it feels like it's all take and no give, and of course, that's not how God wants us to be.

But I often ask myself what the balance is between what God expects our own expectations to be vs. how much we should also be willing to sacrifice, especially since so many people have fallen upon such tough times, and one of the pillars of the Christian life is to "deny ourselves."
Talking about how life didn't go the way you thought...

My grandparents divorced...she had to get a job in California in the Early 70's...the only job she could get was that of a realtor...
Yep, you guessed it...right at the start of the California housing Boom.

She quickly became a multi-millionaire and eventually married another. Together they had more money than God.
No, I don't think that I'm in the will. Nor do I want to be. I got all I needed from her. She was an exceptionally kind step-mother to my father... when he needed it the most. I'll forever be grateful for that. Money? You can't buy what I got out of the relationship.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I think the question is whether the trend of the modern bitch I defined above was more common or less common in antiquity (this is starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch), the Sarah anecdote notwithstanding.

It's possible physical violence played a role, but there were doubtless other factors. That and there is a difference between saying one's piece and being a Karen.

Was I lucky that I had a string of women in my family (mother, grandmother, great-grand mother) who were constitutionally strong yet not bitchy? Is this an anomaly?
I've got several half formed thoughts on the topic. Mostly centering around it wasn't just (or maybe even primarily) an unequal balance of power so much as it was the fact that life was much more consumed in the struggle to survive and you need all the allies you can get (especially if there's no amazon or grocery store chains or other such things to keep you supplied with what you need and you have to ask your community for help if you can't do it all yourself).

I'm also thinking that for purposes of the discussion we need to distinguish strength from aggression. I think aggression is often confused for strength in the modern world and while at times there may be overlap they aren't the same thing.

Nothing wrong with women being strong and capable all on their own. Is something very self contradictory in a woman who throws a fit about how strong she is until the people around her give in and tell her she's a strong woman.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Bitter much?

I have asked you before, but never got an answer... What DID happen to you that made you so antagonistic?

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Nothing wrong with women being strong and capable all on their own. Is something very self contradictory in a woman who throws a fit about how strong she is until the people around her give in and tell her she's a strong woman.
Bingo!

I love how succinct this crucial distinction is.

It's one thing to BE something (positive, whether man or woman.)

It's another thing to try strong-arm people into giving you recognition (for traits one might not even truly possess) by force and manipulation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
very tempting to go into real estate and flip houses for a living but not for me, it just seems a bit unethical.

I once did this business course where one lady was boasting how big her portfolio was, but I couldnt imagine being landlady to that many properties...I dont like playing Monopoly even!

I know if you spread yourself too thin, it's not good, could be just as bad as putting all your eggs in one basket. Though some women are just type A personalities, they are more likely to die of heart attacks.

With regard for money, you cant take it with you to heaven, so, theres no point hoarding it or caring too much for it, though in this world, its rapidly disappearing, to being replaced by e-commerce, in the end, it wont have the value that we think it does. Its just in todays world, thats what people measure your worth by. Who doesnt read in the media people always quoting HOW MUCH people are worth.

They will write so and so is worth $50 billion or has a net worth of whatever and you wonder right what are they even counting. Does everyone have a price tag now?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just want to add, rich people have their problems too

Read Crazy Rich Asians (was made into a movie) and its sequals for a hilarious take on it. A wealthy guy marries a not so wealthy girlfriend and his rich beyond belief family is shocked, and his rich friends assume shes a gold digger just because she has a normal job and does not come from a wealthy family. uh...

(the girlfriend at first doesnt even know just how super rich he is)

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
What are my thoughts about financially independent women....

This woman, she does not earn a lot of money like the others but she can say that she can stand on her own... well, not really on her own because God is with her every step of the way...

She had the choice to not care...but seeing the life they got when she was growing up she had decided to stand strong so that she can take care of her family...her goal was to end poverty running in her family....

And here are her thoughts about finacially independent women...They are admirable...she admires those women who are financially independent coz of the experiences they go through and the sacrifices they make to be able to help themselves and their loved ones....

They go through a lot of long hours of work...not enough sleep...some of these women are away from their loved ones...

Sometimes they work on sundays and her alarm clock is her bestfriend lol she is not a sprinter but injured herself jumping off from her bed because she thought that she overslept 😅

She gets no time to play play because she knows that there are people who depend on her...

She goes to the thrift shop
She enjoys eating mcflurry
And a train ride is a luxury

She goes to bed with tired legs, she wakes in the morning always ready to grind again...😅 because bills are coming hey! lol 😄

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I find it interesting that scripture has our DEBTS being forgiven

But how many in this world are running headlong into debt, and welcoming it even. When you take a student loan, that is DEBT. Apply for a mortgage, that is DEBT. Ask for a bank loan...you are in DEBT. If you have a credit card, which is not even your own money, you are indebted. You might have lots of money in the bank or on paper, but you still have to pay it all back.

A truly financially independent woman is one who is financially FREE not just that she pays her own way. She not indebted to anyone and not a slave to her husband(if shes married) or the bank....or if shes super wealthy to the IRS. But a christian woman would be responsible and pay her taxes and not just shove her money in a secret offshore account right?

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
Interesting question ya ask there seoulsearch. Like everything reckon it is nuanced and is dependent. Thing I find myself and my male friends say the same so it is anecdotal. The majority of women that we run into that are independent or have that mindset. They are just to masculine for our taste. Just like most gals are not gonna be attracted to a guy who wants to talk about his nails and when he has them done cause he is a bit to effeminate for a gal. Same for us guys not to say all, but I would say that a good portion of us guys find that the attitude that goes along with some gals being independent is just to masculine for our taste. Fact is a lot of us guys are just attracted to the femininity of a woman so when that is absent just not much interested in them for dating and marriage.

Now if a gal is independent and just a friend personally I could care less cause there is a different interaction between gals you are friends with and those you may be interested in to date and marry.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
so being dependent is FEMININE? while being independent is Masculine?

what

lol

interesting....or rather...implausible. I would just think its a matter of being grown up.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
Now I know that the very notion "Financially Independent Women" is going to automatically result in a knee-jerk reaction from some people.
I can assure you, nobody considers it a negative if a woman is financially independent.

I've never met a man who said he was scheming to control his wife by making her quit her job or career. I never met a man who said he won't marry a woman who is financially independent.

I guess there are people out there who want to buy wives they can control, that'll be dependent on him. And even more women who want to sell themselves for that. That's their private business. If you run into one of the buyers or sellers, and you don't want them, no need to complain, just move on.

I'm sure there are some fathers and mothers who want the mother to be home to raise their children... that has nothing to do with if she is/was financial independent. Nobody can force her. So again, that's private business.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I can assure you, nobody considers it a negative if a woman is financially independent.

I've never met a man who said he was scheming to control his wife by making her quit her job or career. I never met a man who said he won't marry a woman who is financially independent.

I guess there are people out there who want to buy wives they can control, that'll be dependent on him. And even more women who want to sell themselves for that. That's their private business. If you run into one of the buyers or sellers, and you don't want them, no need to complain, just move on.

I'm sure there are some fathers and mothers who want the mother to be home to raise their children... that has nothing to do with if she is/was financial independent. Nobody can force her. So again, that's private business.

It can be a tough concept/conversation for some in the Christian community.

I find that many people still want to have the traditional male breadwinner/female homemaker scenario, sometimes in a loving way and sometimes in a controlling way, but even if it's all done out of love and reverence for God, that doesn't answer the question of what the wife will do if/when her husband becomes disabled, can't find a job (or a job that will support them all,) is too ill to work (physically and/or mentally,) or dies before she does.

A while back I wrote a thread asking the men if they felt they could earn enough to support a stay-at-home wife and children. Many said they could.

But then when I wrote another thread asking what would happen if they died and left their wife with all the bills and their children with no means of support...

Well.

You could pretty much hear crickets chirping.

There seems to be a vein of people who believe in women staying at home with no work experience, no income of their own, and little to no experience with budgets or paying bills, but when life happens, and we all know it does, how is she magically supposed to be able to cope with her new reality?

I'm not saying that to criticize.

Those threads were inspired by my parent's stories of trying to help women in those exact situations (due to death or divorce) with their financial counseling ministry.

Like many topics in the Christian community, I think it's an important issue that people need to talk about -- and actively plan for whenever possible.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

How did you miss Kauko, in this forum? He was ALL about the woman being financially dependent on him. o_O

And yeah, there are guys like him in real life.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
We call them incels.

How did you miss Kauko, in this forum? He was ALL about the woman being financially dependent on him. o_O

And yeah, there are guys like him in real life.

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
so being dependent is FEMININE? while being independent is Masculine?

what

lol

interesting....or rather...implausible. I would just think its a matter of being grown up.
Oh not at all and was not even what I was speaking to. I try to be very deliberate when I speak in text cause some topics can ruffle feathers and I am aware of that. Which I don't seek to quarrel with anyone.

I thought her question was a good one and thought so cause it is the type when asked it makes you stop and actually contemplate and gather your thoughts before you give your opinion.

I framed how I was answering I did so by saying, "Like everything reckon it is nuanced and is dependent. Thing I find myself and my male friends say the same so it is anecdotal."

So I was letting it be known I am speaking from experience only and so it may be or may not be the actual case. So I was not speaking from a place of actually data, hard numbers, or using statistical data. Just from my own experience and other male friends like myself who have expressed the same.

I was also deliberate to make sure to frame as to just what I was addressing, "Fact is a lot of us guys are just attracted to the femininity of a woman so when that is absent just not much interested in them for dating and marriage."

So my opinion is under just that narrow of a confinement.

I was deliberate as such because I from my personal experience and why I say just that. It is well just that personal and prefer to keep personal details to myself.

However, for a little more light to show just where I am coming from and how I framed it. I am soldier and have been one the majority of my adult life. I am no longer in and have been out for about ten years now.

I served in combat arms as a foot soldier so my job duties entailed me carrying a rifle and firing that rifle. So my world was a male dominated world requiring utmost masculine attributes.

Women I have met and considered dating and marriage came from my world and that male dominated world. For them to rise through the ranks and to be successful and achieve a spot where they could say I need no one I'm independent and can rely solely upon myself. In that male dominated world where masculine attributes are needed to get to that point.

I lament that they have lost part of what made them different and unique from me. They lost a part of them there feminine nature on the way up to achieve. Judging neither them or anyone it just is what it is.

So anyway from my experience and the women that have been in my dating pool. I found that the way they had to change to do such a job just destroyed really the most unique and attractive part of them their feminine nature.

Did the job do that to all women I would say no cause I am a firm believer in NAWALT, not all women are like that. However, I was speaking to the narrow confines and the way I framed my answer to my personal experience. So perhaps you don't agree and that is fine I can respect that and live with that.

I would just add I do try to be deliberate and frame my responses so that they fit within the confines of the margin I have allowed myself.

So I said nothing more or nothing less than how I framed and defined. If I do not read clear always feel free to just ask could I define more or explain with more detail to which I will do so unless just to personal and if that be the case I will just say ya know what just ignore me on second thought I should have just kept that to myself.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Hey Everyone,

Now I know that the very notion "Financially Independent Women" is going to automatically result in a knee-jerk reaction from some people.

There might even be talk about how such women are Femi-Nazi's, rebellious Jezebels, and enemies of the Christian faith and family. I am very aware that many Christians are against the idea of a woman having a career and making money on her own.

But what about all the single women who become financially independent by default?

Most people who have been here in the Singles Forum a while know my story. I married young, and he left me for someone younger while we were both still very young. He remarried and had a family, so there is no possibility of any kind of reconciliation. I do believe, with much study, prayer, and guidance from spiritual authorities at the churches I've been a part of, that I am Biblically able to remarry, but for whatever reason, God has kept me single.

In the many years that followed, I filled most of the long, lonely hours with work. I come from a family in which almost all the women worked before marriage, married very young, continued to work until they had kids, then stayed at home with the kids and most went back to work after the kids were grown. I didn't think I'd be any different. I figured I would work until kids came along, work as a homemaker, and then go to back to an outside job when the kids were grown in order to help with the bills.

Now raise your hand if your life didn't quite go the way you expected. (Never mind me as I raise both hands and both feet.)

I also come from a family who, if they are addicted to anything, it would be work, and saving money is treated like an Olympic sport. I don't know what other people talk about at their family gatherings, but I have a sector of my family that happily recalls the week's events of how they bought such-and-such on sale, through a discount club, with a coupon, on a rewards card that also earned them 10 gajillion more points on their purchase.

I was also raised with the mindset of living as frugally as one can do comfortably. For example, it's been over 2 years since I bothered plugging in my television, because I don't use any kind of cable or subscriptions services. Throughout my life, I spent most nights on the weekends writing paper letters and/or electronic messages rather than going out. And I was raised under the strong influence of parents who drilled it in my head from a young age to save money wherever I could. (As kids, if we received any birthday or Christmas money, we were required to tithe 10% of it to church, then save half of what was left.) I hated this rule as a kid, but am grateful as an adult because of the strict financial discipline it instilled.

I've never had a "big career" or position that would be of any significance to anyone. But I did fill my time with work, church, volunteer and ministry tasks, while mostly just being a homebody. Because of this, as the years (and years, and years) have rolled by, all I knew to do to try to give my life purpose was to start making goals for myself.

I also spent about 12 years in a few long-term relationships in which I wound up paying for the guys' bills, kids, addictions, and court cases, and when I finally untangled myself from all of that, I was kicking myself because I could have put all that money into my future retirement goals instead. (I'm trying to follow other family member's examples of retiring and then going into full-time volunteer ministry work.)

Though I don't go on many dates, I have gotten to the point where, on the first day, I just tell the waitress to put it on one bill and hand it to me, unless the guy absolutely insists on paying (and even then, I've usually already had the waitress process it before he should protest.) This is because of the many, many posts I've read on CC over the years about guys complaining that women are only out for money. As I've become more financially stable, I just decided in my heart that I will never give a man any reason to say that I used him for something, and most especially not a free dinner.

Now, I am certainly not criticizing anyone who might be in a different situation. But I wanted to talk about this because I see a lot of discussions about what women "should" or "should not" do:

* Women should stay at home.
* Women should not have careers.
* Women should not be independent (and I understand that some even believe that women can't be independent.)

But the thing is, what about all the women I am meeting at this stage of my life who never purposely set out to "go against the grain," but this is where life (and perhaps God) has taken them? And some of the plans I thought I could never fulfill without a husband (such as traveling,) I am now able to fulfill because I find other single women who have the same interests, as well as the means to pay for them.

I came to see every debt I owed as a noose around my neck, and, after watching other family members cut off most of their nooses, aspired to do the same. My ultimate goal is to break away as many nooses as I possibly can in order to free up my time and resources for more opportunities to help people.

And the thing is, I keep meeting more and more single women who, for whatever reason, haven't married (but would like to,) and in the meantime, they are working towards the same kinds of goals. Not out of rebellion or even by choice (most I know would like to be married with children, but it just hasn't happened,) but because this is what they are doing with the time God has given them.

And I know that in my own life, in order to keep up the practice of being submissive to a Christian man, there are times in my life when God has specifically led me to go to my father and/or Christian male friends about some of the decisions I make, so that I don't become "too" independent by default.

I know I have shared a lot about myself in this thread, but this discussion is NOT meant to be about me or my life at all. Rather, I'm using my own example as a springboard to open a conversation that asks:

* What happens when women become financially independent by default? (Due to life circumstances, not rebellion.)

* How does this change the dynamics between men and women when dating? (What if she makes more money than he does? Should she be expected to pay because of it?)

* How does a man lead a woman who is more financially independent than he is?

* If you believe a woman should or can never become independent, what should a long-term single woman be doing with her time, and how should she support herself?

* For the ladies -- if you would like to get married, how do you see yourself going from making all the decisions to yourself to then submitting the final say to a husband?

I understand the traditional viewpoints that women should stay at home and be homemakers without ever holding an outside job. But my parent's full-time volunteer ministry is financial counseling (they pay for all the expenses involved themselves,) and one of the biggest issues they are now seeing are women who have been raised in this mindset, kept dependent at home all their lives, then are left alone due to divorce or the death of their husband, and have absolutely no idea how to take care of themselves or their children.

I would love to hear your thoughts about women who have no choice but to learn how to take care of themselves. Thank you for sharing!
In our society, it's a non-issue for single people. I have a female friend, 69, who worked as a nurse for decades. She's retired and her husband passed away about 10 years ago. She pays her bills on time, she gives, and she keeps her home maintained. We encourage women who can work to do so. It's preferable for them to bring the kids up until school age. That's not always possible. I spent years as a "latch key kid", with two brothers and a sister to care for until my mother came home from work. I hated every minute of the wait. There were no overpriced child care centres where we lived.

Different cultures have different ways of dealing with these issues. Kids, male and female, should know the fundamentals of budgeting and paying bills before they leave home. If they did, there may be fewer 'boomerang" children.

There is authority and structure within all of society. If those principles are followed, all is well. In a marriage, the buck literally stops with the husband. God holds him responsible for managing the finances. If he messes up, he answers to God, not the wife.

I can understand some of the problems. My father was in the military and away from home a great deal. He'd come back home and immediately expect to be the "man of the house". My mother was a genius, hard working and responsible. Dad was a drinker, a gambler and had the knack of annoying almost everyone in authority over him. Yet my parents stayed together until dad passed away.

For Christian homes, there should not be a problem. One thing is for sure, we dare not embrace the principles of the world if we are to live in a way that pleases God. My friend sacrificed a lot for her husband, including giving up work to look after him when he became unwell. Yet she owns her own home and lives well. God will reward those who live according to His ways.