What Belongs in A Go Bag?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
Yes, the only thing you need. All that other stuff is just fears. A bible, some batteries to recharge speakers and phone, so you can play gospelmusic, set to go. That being said, I used to fear the terrible weather, so I do have like 15 days worth of food stored. For those who finds it OK to kill animals, food should not be an issue, animals all around if a foodshortage, so do not get that one. A farm is a dime a dozen, and you have deer, moose, caribous and rabbits all over the place, so why not get some traps and guns instead of food, or in addition to food supply. I do not get why some preppers plan for 2 weeks of essentials, if they envision apoclyptic plagues lasting forever. Not an issue for me, food safety, energysafety, etc, but if I had theese fears I would get some materials and blueprints for traps. I can make bevertraps, so I would do that if I was worried. And why the fear when the rivers are full of fish?Is it survival or convenience one must ask himself. Buy some chickens, 20 chickens, you get 10 eggs a day, get some flour, and you are good to go for months.
The first part of your comment reminds me of James 2:14-16 "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?"

A Bible is a definite must-have but we're told we need more than a prayer or a "depart in peace" or, in your example, gospel music. ;)

A farm may be a "dime a dozen" but if an event happens where there's no food on the store shelves, do you really think farmers are going to allow people to walk up to their barns and request a cow or chicken? lol. No way! They're going to protect their animals from marauders and they'll view most folks as such. In a doomsday scenario, animals will be like gold and farmers will protect their wealth!

Learning to hunt and trap and fish are worthwhile but what happens when everyone else in tromping through the woods with the same idea? What happens when the animals become scarce from over-hunting? What happens when everyone is running to the rivers and oceans and lakes to catch fish?

As to why preppers plan for 2 weeks (most try to prep for a year or more but, whatever) is because it can take that long to actually find and kill a deer or moose or caribou. It's not like you can just walk into the woods and shoot a deer every day. I know hunters who spend the whole season trying to get a deer or bear or elk and they often end up with NOTHING. So having a 2 week supply of food (more is better, especially if you have a family) can keep you alive while you find other food sources.

If I sound defensive it's because the "just go hunt or find a farmer for food" is rather simplistic and ignorant of how hard it will be to find food in a SHTF situation. Many people will starve or die of thirst because they won't have the skills to survive.

As an aside, many who prepare aren't generally full of fear, they just prudently "foresee the danger" (Proverbs 27:12).

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
Worth reading about Bush craft. U can do lots with little. Helps avoid the business made from anxiety.
From bush craft gain confidence in your ability to survive with less.

S

SigP226

Trunk Carry:

I have a basic vehicle repair necessities like a flat tire repair kit and jumper cables, as well as a traffic cone and a bright reflective vest with “Security” printed on it.

Bag 1:
  1. A warm, dry top for myself or the person in need
  2. Water for them and water for me. I am not sharing my water.
  3. A rain jacket
  4. An emergency blanket
  5. Signaling devices like an air horn, flares, a mirror and bright orange materials
  6. A variety of first-aid materials like a tourniquet and steri-strips with super glue for closing gashes
  7. Paracord in a daisy chain so it doesn’t get all tangled up
  8. Reflective Trail Markers to be placed on the BACKS of trees on my way in, so I can see my way out.
  9. A fire-starter, fuse and lighter
  10. A flashlight with extra batteries
  11. Duct tape
  12. A compass
  13. A multi-tool
  14. A flask with vodka to help calm everyone down, establish rapport, clean wounds, start fires, relieve pain
  15. Bug spray
  16. Protien Bars
Bag 2:

I’ve got 10 loaded magazines, oil, water, eye protection, hearing protection, Sharpies, grease pencils and a multi-tool. This is for when things go south, like if you happen to be the first responder facing an active shooter.
The Sharpies and grease pencils are to write a note to police coming in behind you that you are inside. Write a short, clear and concise note where they can see it; something like “FRIENDLY INSIDE WITH ORANGE VEST” with an arrow pointing in your direction of movement. Then you should put on your bright orange safety vest with “Security” printed on it, which can give a moment of pause to the cop coming in behind you — long enough for you to toss your weapon, go flat on your face and identify yourself.

S

SigP226

the last thing to flee is your home. stand your ground at all means necessary
While I am certainly flight over flight. Years have training have taught me this only works a handful of times. You must assess the situation. Many times creating distance and buying time give you the best chance for survival.

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
What are we fleeing?
What are we surviving?

Doomsday preppers I've seen depend on THEMSELVES not God.

We are not the ones to run to the hills and mountains and pray they cover us.
That happening is at God's wrath.

This world may get more horrible than it is now as Jesus said earthquakes, pestilences,trouble and woes are coming.

I'm incapable of running away on foot from anything ( guess they will get me first😂). I do have bug out bags!

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. 😏 -- Red Green
My husband loves Red Green :LOL:
Everyone else at the time was watching Friends...

I was watching Red Green.

(If you go to the Red Green You Tube channel, you can watch all the episodes for free, and he now has a podcast show, though I think it costs like a dollar a month.)

My apologies to the author of the thread for the derail, as it's been a very interesting read. :)

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
No problem....ALL interesting and helpful..etc.etc..posts.

Thanks all for your input!

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I thought a go bag was for poop. So I’ll say TP!

S

SigP226

What are we fleeing?
What are we surviving?

Doomsday preppers I've seen depend on THEMSELVES not God.

We are not the ones to run to the hills and mountains and pray they cover us.
That happening is at God's wrath.

This world may get more horrible than it is now as Jesus said earthquakes, pestilences,trouble and woes are coming.

I'm incapable of running away on foot from anything ( guess they will get me first😂). I do have bug out bags!

It's not about fleeing or surviving (well sort of surviving). It's about being prepared to help someone out! A lost child, an elderly person, a panicked hike, being the first person at the scene of an accident. Always be ready to be someone else's Batman.

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
It's not about fleeing or surviving (well sort of surviving). It's about being prepared to help someone out! A lost child, an elderly person, a panicked hike, being the first person at the scene of an accident. Always be ready to be someone else's Batman.
Good post..thanks!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
they say put on your own mask before putting on someon elses

so maybe a mask! spare masks and hand santisers

I dont have a bag full of stuff though, I just have a lot of empty carry bags ready to put stuff in when I need them. A box or tray or basket is probably handier and more practical than a bag though.

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
they say put on your own mask before putting on someon elses

so maybe a mask! spare masks and hand santisers

I dont have a bag full of stuff though, I just have a lot of empty carry bags ready to put stuff in when I need them. A box or tray or basket is probably handier and more practical than a bag though.
Good reply/post..Thanks!