What can we learn from the life/story of Job?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Anav by Jennifer Ross

A few words I shared with friends in considering spiritual muscles.
Stamina is good quality in walking humbly with the Lord.

Something of a quality attributed to the tribe of binyamin(benjamin)
was called a wolf.
Is it the wolf we are to consider?
Or are we to consider something else.
 
Last edited:
well of course prob more than 1 person had that name...I doubt he was a contemporary of Jacob

for some reason, I think I am leaning towards an older history for Job

but I guess that's speculation

came back to add tomorrow I'll look into it with the link you provided
In no way was I saying that I knew exactly when Job lived...Just saying, it is interesting that there is a Job mentioned in the scripture and the article was interesting on how there could be a link to one of the messengers names in there, as well...

And yeah, I totally get you that there can be more than one person with the same name...so all, I was saying is that it is interesting.

May GBY...
 
If Job was not saved, then why those words spoken about him "Job as a man of exemplary faith and piety, "blameless and upright", who "fears God" and "shuns evil".

Was Jobs faith in God or in himself?

A real big hint of fear is seen in his sacrificing for his sons in case they had sinned.
 
Why would God test a man like Job? He already knew, he was up to the test. So why was God 'torturing' job?
 
In no way was I saying that I knew exactly when Job lived...Just saying, it is interesting that there is a Job mentioned in the scripture and the article was interesting on how there could be a link to one of the messengers names in there, as well...

And yeah, I totally get you that there can be more than one person with the same name...so all, I was saying is that it is interesting.

May GBY...


it's ok...I get that

same with my view...I have still to read yr article...but I will

and God bless you also !
 
If you believe that a stern kindness is beyond the meekness of good soil..
Then you have yet to understand what it means to be a friend who would help plow a field in winter.
Sin is measured by the hardness of the heart.

And yet you are decieved to think that iron has no place with clay.
Sort your house and look closer with keen eyes after hearing first, (listen

To walk humbly with the Lord is to seek with a gift of sheer discernment and reverence for The Holy One and the language given freely to the prophets.


oh please

I just don't buy all this I am so humble I am just like Jesus so I can rebuke in love business

first off, try talking like a normal person

when you address people outside of this forum is how you are...not all this spiritual mumbo jumbo

so tiresome

whatever

and btw, sin is not measured by how hard a person's heart is

go read the Bible...it is measured by God's holiness which is why Christ had to die for us

keep your soothsayings for someone they impress

as far as I am concerned, you are just one more person who has joined this forum on a mission that no one but yourself has talked you into
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There are many things we can learn from the Book of Job, however the following springs to mind:

1) It was through this series of trials and temptations that God perfected Job’s faith, patience and character. Job chapters 1 and 2, Rom 5v1-5, James 1v2-4,12, 5v11,12, Luke 22v31-34.

2) God puts a great wall of protection around his dear saints. Job chapters 1 and 2.

3) The Devil can not lay a finger upon God’s saints, he can only do what God permits him to do. Job chapters 1 and 2.

4) Trials and temptation faced with God will give us an abundant entrance into the Kingdom of God, and while we are in them our dear Lord Jesus is interceding for us making His Grace available to us. 2Cor 12v9, Phil 4v19, Heb 2v17,18, 4v15, 7v25, 2Peter 1v10,11.


I agree

but I will add that unless you believe what the NT says about trials and overcoming faith, you will not see this

what you will see, is a messed up vision of what is really going on and honestly, reading some of the responses I will say that I do not have to prove that

people saying Job was not saved...not understanding that faith has always been the salvation offered in both testaments

you act on what you believe...I guess if people think Job's friends were demonic, then if you hear something demonic from someone you will possibly believe they have a demon

it's just so mixed up

God still tests and allows the devil to provoke...our faith is tested in a furnace and when God is done, it is purified

1 Peter 4:12-19King James Version (KJV)

12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. I Peter 4:12-19

and nobody wants that. I think we prove the reality of our faith even if we do not understand. God can do whatever He wants...He said so.

Job said He would continue to love God even if God killed him.

nothing wrong in asking questions..even the hard questions...even questioning faith

what is wrong, is denying how you actually are, inside of yourself, and hiding behind a false representation of God in your life...but God sees right through that so...best to just keep it honest

and that was more then I was going to say
 
Was Jobs faith in God or in himself?

A real big hint of fear is seen in his sacrificing for his sons in case they had sinned.


As I read Job, it is my interpretation that Job had faith in God. Fear in God to me means reverence, devoutness, awe, in the Creator. As for sacrificing for his sons in case they sinned, would not any parent want their child/children to be safe in the Lord?
 
What would you do to encourage iyov?

Personally, I can only offer experience.
Test the spirits, and you will find it is just as i have stated before.
Remember what Paul said, power of air, "wind"



Not sure exactly what I would offer Job had I been there as one of his "friends" but in the state Job was in with his suffering, I am sure I would not have offered anything accusatory. When people are in need they starve for compassion, not accusation
 
Why would God test a man like Job? He already knew, he was up to the test. So why was God 'torturing' job?

God does know how we will behave but sometimes WE don't. Until we experience something, we don't know. Sometimes God takes us through things we don't like to teach us something we will take into eternity with us and there is just no other way of us learning. And sometimes it isn't even about us, but the people around us.

One thing I can say for sure, I believe I know God well enough to witness about him that he does not "torture" people.
He doesn't do things that have no purpose.
 
oh please

I just don't buy all this I am so humble I am just like Jesus so I can rebuke in love business

first off, try talking like a normal person

when you address people outside of this forum is how you are...not all this spiritual mumbo jumbo

so tiresome

whatever

and btw, sin is not measured by how hard a person's heart is

go read the Bible...it is measured by God's holiness which is why Christ had to die for us

keep your soothsayings for someone they impress

as far as I am concerned, you are just one more person who has joined this forum on a mission that no one but yourself has talked you into

I appologize of I were lacking in gentleness.
It's just that in walking humbly with the Lord brings a realization and comfort.
The comfort in knowing we do not walk alone.
Something I learned from the Lord about the elements of harmony in wind is that sacrificial love comes from experience.

If you do not want to walk with me in fellowship, ok.
If you offer insult, I'll just collect the bitter herb to season an already increasing faith.

I ask all readers to consider the three men noach, iyov, an daniyyel.
Each has an elemental principle.
Water, wind, fire.
Or am I mistaken?
 
  • Like
Reactions: stonesoffire
Job was tried by fire, slipped a little, came out the good human he was, albeit a bit more understanding of the awesomeness of the Creator
 
Job was tried by fire, slipped a little, came out the good human he was, albeit a bit more understanding of the awesomeness of the Creator

I agree, and am thankfull there have been men before me and after that have house of courage to rebuke the wind.

A blessing from our Heavenly Father whom in Yeshua took that serpent and cast it out.
 
God does know how we will behave but sometimes WE don't. Until we experience something, we don't know. Sometimes God takes us through things we don't like to teach us something we will take into eternity with us and there is just no other way of us learning. And sometimes it isn't even about us, but the people around us.

One thing I can say for sure, I believe I know God well enough to witness about him that he does not "torture" people.
He doesn't do things that have no purpose.

good insight and I agree

and God does not torture us
 
As I read Job, it is my interpretation that Job had faith in God. Fear in God to me means reverence, devoutness, awe, in the Creator. As for sacrificing for his sons in case they sinned, would not any parent want their child/children to be safe in the Lord?

You don't see any hint of self righteousness? Something happened finally that broke through to Jobs understanding of the nature of God at the end of the story.

Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Its been a long time since I've read the story, so perhaps I need to reread. This last verses though made an impression on me of Jobs humility of his need to repent before the Lord.

Thanks star. :)