What do we call it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

djness

While we're on the subject. I've come across another situation recently where there isn't really a term to describe it.

Recently I've found myself having to try to find the right term for my husband/ex/whatever he is? We're separated but not divorced.. so still legally married for technicality sake, but living as separate individuals on opposite sides of the country. What is the term for that? Is he my husband.. referring to him that way seems kind of odd given the circumstances? Is he an ex.. well he's not really that either. Its kinda tricky. The other issue is figuring out what my title is now. For example, I was filling out some documents the other day at a business, and the staff member assisting me asked me is it 'Miss or Mrs' and I'm like 'uuuuh neither?'. I went with Ms, but don't even know if that's correct. The reason this is such a dilemma for me, is that I have gone back to my maiden (birth name) and am no longer using my husbands (or whatever he is now) surname. So I can't call myself Mrs if Im not using my married surname can I? Technical stuff :p

I don't see an issue in calling someone you're in a relationship with but not yet engaged to as your boyfriend/girlfirend. I mean, that IS what they are...right? I despise the term 'Partner' though.
I would say seperated. Since you still are married to the guy no matter how far damaged the marriage is. I would also still write Mrs. Again, even if the marriage is really beyond fixing you are still in a legal agreement with the guy.

D

djness

Well, although I agree that a relationship doesn't necessarily need a title, at least for myself it has been difficult making an introduction. When you think about it, a lot of the time an introduction includes the nature of your relationship with the person. "this is_______, my ______ (mom, pastor, boss, friend, etc.)

This is______, my girlfriend just sounds weird for a man of my age, at least to me. Significant other seems almost condescending. Friend minimizes the nature of the relationship.

Hmmmm, maybe Future fiance as long as the relationship continues developing in a positive manner and we both decide it is in God's will for us, or is that too long?
:D
I've heard plenty of men or women your age say boyfriend/girlfriend and although I think sometimes it sounds kind of odd what else would you call the person.

D

djness

I see a couple of posts on here saying ''if i just introduce her as my GF then it would seem possesive, but girls will introduce a guy as their bf''

I don't see anything wrong with saying ''Hey this is my girlfriend Sarah, or this is my boyfriend Charles''.
If I was out with a girl and we WERE dating,[not just in my mind, but for reelz yo] and she just introduced me as just Dan to all the sharks, I would be a little worried.

It's probably once again one of those situational things, if I was introducing her to just friends and previously I had told them I was briging my girlfriend over I may introduce her by just her name, if it was a place were I did not know people I would say '' this is my girlfriend sarah'. Posession made clear.

Cause what if you didn't introduce them like that and then they said later'' so are we not a couple since I'm just some girl''?

ARGH WHAT A DILEMMA!!

Also I am not looking for a girlfriend named Sarah nor have I ever had one named Sarah, it just seems like an easy name to say.....but to be honest now I want one named Sarah.

I

iraasuup

I would say seperated. Since you still are married to the guy no matter how far damaged the marriage is. I would also still write Mrs. Again, even if the marriage is really beyond fixing you are still in a legal agreement with the guy.

Yes, except MRS wouldnt be correct since Im now using my birthname and not my married surname. If I called myself Mrs (insertbirthnamehere), that would be my mother, not me.

P

preachersaul

I always kinda liked the term 'courting'. T'is what my Granny used to call it.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I prefer "Future ex-girlfriend" to just about everything else ;)

J

Jullianna

I've decided that I'm going to call whoever-HE-might-be "my man" from now on :)
And he can call me his lady, unless he has something better. haha
I'm all about the KISS method.

J

Jullianna

Liamson's post reminds me of Miranda Lambert's "Crazy Ex-GF" song. :)

Aug 2, 2009
Keep It Simple, Stupid (?) That's what my high school algebra teacher said it stood for. :)

Feb 9, 2007
*shakes his head* making things way to hard and complicated

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
When I started this thread I was kind of wondering if someone would get to this.:)

J

Jullianna

To each his/her own I suppose, but I happen to think "My lady/My man" is very romantic, leaves no margin for error and is extremely UNcomplicated. :)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRfUoR9Q4Y[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4if4ble1A[/video]