What do you believe and why do you believe it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

no1

Aug 19, 2019
God has answered every single one of your prayers without fail? Wow. Were there any prayers that gave a negative result and you had to pass it off as God's will?
Why would I believe such nonsense?
I already know what the will of God is before I pray or speak.

Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

WHOSE DESIRES?
MINE.
That is God's will for me.

2Co 1:20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
(BBE) For he is the Yes to all the undertakings of God: and by him all the words of God are made certain and put into effect, to the glory of God through us.

A few of the definitions for the word "amen" is, so be it, it be so, so it is, or it is so, among other things.
Perhaps you don't recall, but I already told you, I have been on the failing end many times in the past, but I have learned not to quit or give up, but press on until I get what I ask for or command.

(CEV) Then you would never be lazy. You would be following the example of those who had faith and were patient until God kept his promise to them.

(ERV) We don't want you to be lazy. We want you to be like those who, because of their faith and patience, will get what God has promised.

(GNB) We do not want you to become lazy, but to be like those who believe and are patient, and so receive what God has promised.

no1

Aug 19, 2019
Have you performed the signs that accompany true believers in Mark 16, i.e. surviving poisonous snake bites and casting out demons?
Never got bit by a poisonous snake, but it did get bit by a brown recluse spider, which causes the skin to rot.
I didn't even know I got bit until I felt it the spot behind my left knee accidentally.
It did swelled up some for a while, but I claimed that promise of God, bound the devil from affecting my leg, rejected all symptoms, and commanded it to leave in Jesus' name. And it did.
It started out with a white core or center, which sunk down some, with a red ring around it. It never did get very big, about half the diameter of a dime. It took about a week or two, but it eventually left.
As for casting out unclean spirits, I have done so many times.
Jesus gave us all power and authority over them.

Luk 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

I say again, if you were to see a miracle, would you believe then?

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Do you acknowledge the requirement for an intelligent designer? Let's start there.
No. I don't accept intelligent design. Evolutionary processes give the illusion of design. Vestigial/useless features on some animals are nothing to do with design, e.g the tortuous path taken by the laryngial nerve of a giraffe. They have come about as a result of adapting to a changing environment over long periods of time.
Even if you could demonstrate that life had been intelligently designed you would still be a long way from demonstrating that that force also wrote The Bible.

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
On the contrary, you’re self imposed imprisonment is clear as day, all while embracing your own destruction. Carry on.
Nice dodge. Why not give a straight answer to a straight question? Do you consider God condoned slavery and genocide in the Bible to be moral?

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Have I mentioned the Bible?

Have you ever looked into research about the seat of consciousness? Because no one has ever been able to demonstrate this theorized 'emergence' you mention. No one has ever been able to link the 'self' to a definite physical locality. No one has ever been able to replicate the idea you just parroted to me from Mary Shelly's fiction, and it's not for lack of trying.

I find that pretty interesting.

And you say consciousness is a property of the brain?
What does atheistic evolutionary monism say about the origin of the brain?
You didn't mention the Bible but you did say you believed Jesus was the Son of God which is in the Bible.
I haven't looked much into consciousness. It's outside my area of expertise. I suspect it's outside yours too. The problem with what you have been saying (as far as I understand the dozen or so unsupported, unrelated claims in your post about Jesus, sin and consciousness) is this. When did my consciousness start? Have I always had consciousness - even as far back as the Big Bang? Do animals have souls? How far do you go down the evolutionary tree of complexity? Chimps? My pet dog? Birds, fish and reptiles? A slug?
What exactly are you claiming and how does Jesus/ the Bible/boundless sin support any of that?

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Is that something you ask yourself about if God would be happy? or for another reason?
I asked it because it is an absolutely fair question in response to your declaration.

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Why would I believe such nonsense?
I already know what the will of God is before I pray or speak.

Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

WHOSE DESIRES?
MINE.
That is God's will for me.

2Co 1:20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
(BBE) For he is the Yes to all the undertakings of God: and by him all the words of God are made certain and put into effect, to the glory of God through us.

A few of the definitions for the word "amen" is, so be it, it be so, so it is, or it is so, among other things.
Perhaps you don't recall, but I already told you, I have been on the failing end many times in the past, but I have learned not to quit or give up, but press on until I get what I ask for or command.

(CEV) Then you would never be lazy. You would be following the example of those who had faith and were patient until God kept his promise to them.

(ERV) We don't want you to be lazy. We want you to be like those who, because of their faith and patience, will get what God has promised.

(GNB) We do not want you to become lazy, but to be like those who believe and are patient, and so receive what God has promised.
If you already know what the will of God is before you pray, why bother doing it?

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Never got bit by a poisonous snake, but it did get bit by a brown recluse spider, which causes the skin to rot.
I didn't even know I got bit until I felt it the spot behind my left knee accidentally.
It did swelled up some for a while, but I claimed that promise of God, bound the devil from affecting my leg, rejected all symptoms, and commanded it to leave in Jesus' name. And it did.
It started out with a white core or center, which sunk down some, with a red ring around it. It never did get very big, about half the diameter of a dime. It took about a week or two, but it eventually left.
As for casting out unclean spirits, I have done so many times.
Jesus gave us all power and authority over them.

Luk 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

I say again, if you were to see a miracle, would you believe then?
A quick google search revealed that deaths from brown recluse spiders are rare and have never been reported in anyone over the age of 7. What you have written is just confirmation bias. You survived it therefore God exists because you prayed. It's not comparing like with like to the snake bite claim in the Bible. In fact I seem to remember a preacher died recently due to a snake bite whilst testing Mark 16.
How do you know what an unclean spirit is and how do you know you drove it out?
So I don't believe miracle claims such as these because they cannot be verified.
However, I would believe that a miracle had occurred if someone grew an arm back in front of me. Why doesn't God heal amputees?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I believed I had an experience with the Lord too. How do you know this experience arises as the result of an outside agency and is not just brain processes?
Spectrox, I never questioned whether it was God or not. I didn’t have to. I have faith, and faith is the only way anyone can access the heavenly.

Plus, we are first drawn to Jesus. None of us can ever claim we searched for the Lord and found Him.

Am interested concerning your experience. What happened and why did you doubt?

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Nice dodge. Why not give a straight answer to a straight question? Do you consider God condoned slavery and genocide in the Bible to be moral?
Yes. We are more Christlike during trials and tribulations. And since you’re spiritually dead, genocide should not concern you since it’s your chosen destiny.

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Yes. We are more Christlike during trials and tribulations. And since you’re spiritually dead, genocide should not concern you since it’s your chosen destiny.
No straight answer to a straight question. Typical politician.

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019
Spectrox, I never questioned whether it was God or not. I didn’t have to. I have faith, and faith is the only way anyone can access the heavenly.

Plus, we are first drawn to Jesus. None of us can ever claim we searched for the Lord and found Him.

Faith can never be a reliable pathway to truth. Is there any position someone could not take based on faith?
In terms of my deconversion I did write an account of it about 2 or 3 weeks ago on this thread. I shall try to locate which post it was.

H

Hevosmies358

God said it, I believe it; and that settles it!

Spectrox

Jul 25, 2019

Read Post 134 on page 7.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
No. I don't accept intelligent design.
Here are the only options: intelligent design, or abiogenesis. The latter is untenable.

Evolutionary processes give the illusion of design.
Richard Dawkins is a closed-minded fool. Quoting him does you no credit whatsoever.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Of course, you won't believe me, because I'm not you, nor you, I. But, I know where you are, as far as where yer head/attitude/heart is.
I was there once myself!
You were baptized? Good! The very "basic" requirement!
But? Just as soon as that "seed of redemption" started growing inside of you? And, you started noticing how different you were from everyone around you, who were, and had been baptized much longer then you were acting? It gave cause, and for good reason, for you, to doubt! (this is about the place where you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, and quit telling you what's in your head ;))
And when God (yep? God, NOT Jesus!) shut off your understanding in yer reading the Bible? It's just as if God was telling you "Go on out in the world BOY!" "Get to know our enemies, and their tactics!" "This way?" "You'll become cognizant, how "traditions of men" have made void My Word!"
Of course, you aren't there yet! But? Sometime, somewhere, when you least expect it? And, I know this is gonna come off as rather funny, if not quite bizarre? God is going to ask you a question! You'll KNOW it's Him! Cuz God knows His "children!" He knows which buttons to push in the gaining of your attention! Like it or not? Believe it or not? It's true! It happened to me! And? It'll happen to you too! This "question" will hang around until it gets answered! Either Yay! Or Nay! By you! Then "poof!" It'll be gone! Well? At least gone from your "attention!" :cool:
Took at least 3 er 4 times for me, during a 15-20 year period, in which the "question" changed somewhat. but, I finally answered in the affirmative.
Best advice I can give ya? Don't hold out!
Because it WILL come! ;)

This is my first and last post to this thread!
Shalom!

H

Hevosmies358

Must be a favorite verse for the word of faith folks

If it didnt happen well you just didnt have enough faith! I hate that!
But it says what it says. Word of faith folks didnt write it!

Jun 10, 2019
Does a right equal to being right if the right is to be right about what is right?
I asked it because it is an absolutely fair question in response to your declaration.
you say fair what is this thread about? and your response to me was to ask about Muslims and God being happy or not. I didn’t mention Muslims yet ask such a question either you have a view already or maybe your completely bliss and unbiased in your living and spend days on end asking what if that or what if this why this why that but there’s this and that and I’m all confused and don’t believe a thing who knows.