What do you find controversial?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Was John the Baptist controversial in the way he delievered the message and his tone when he used particular names, designations and obvious fervor and heat to lay his message to the people and the Pharisees?

What about Jesus....was he controverisal when he made a whip, drove the money changers from the temple with zeal while proclaiming the truth of His Father's house, or when he lay bare the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, people and others with particular names, designations and zeal?

What about Elijah, or Paul or maybe Moses when in anger he smashed the stone tablets......?

God uses many men with different demeanors and or methods of delivery............the word by it's very nature CUTS, OFFENDS and DIVIDES.........

Sometimes God needs it to be in our face because humanity is as stubborn as a mule and we will NOT listen to it if we are coddled, pampered and given the word like a crushed asprin with sugar in a spoon........

I had some white washed coffin tell me one time....We will catch more flies with honey than vinegar......My reply...we are not catching flies but rather lost humans that are facing an eternal hell......

I despise that type of attitude........sugar coat the word <--fires me right up
Love has a fierce passionate side that many do not understand. Yet, it is still love.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Hello StephanieMM,

Faith in Christ as our Lord, Savior and King unites us. However, everyone is at different places or levels of maturity. There is NO condemnation to those that are in Christ Jesus.

God is sorting us all out and working on us - we're ALL under construction.

No worries. God knows what He is doing. We will all eventually love one another.......... it's a process. :love:(y)
Whoa!
Are you presenting .....Universalism ..... as a belief? That is what you are saying!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Whoa! Are you presenting .....Universalism ..... as a belief? That is what you are saying!
Faith in Christ as our Lord, Savior, and King... since when has that been universal?

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Faith in Christ as our Lord, Savior, and King... since when has that been universal?

Not what I was referring too...obviously. This is my target;
"However, everyone is at different places or levels of maturity".
Don't you see U....there...from a person who questions G-d?

Dec 12, 2013
Love has a fierce passionate side that many do not understand. Yet, it is still love.
I fully agree......100% God loves us so much he had his Son die for us, and yet will whip the crap out of us and even take our physical life to tune us up a bit!

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Whoa!
Are you presenting .....Universalism ..... as a belief? That is what you are saying!
Uh-oh, we got one rooted in fear of wrong beliefs!

Trust God's love for you, be secure and stop walking around with a magnifying glass creating false accusations against your brothers and sisters.

God have mercy on us! When will we stop being so childish!! Ughhh! :rolleyes::giggle::love:(y)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes, and that was referring back to Christians... those who place their faith in Christ as Lord, Savior, and King.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I fully agree......100% God loves us so much he had his Son die for us, and yet will whip the crap out of us and even take our physical life to tune us up a bit!
I do prefer His mercy and kindness but, His love is His love and it's better than wine! :love:(y)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Was John the Baptist controversial in the way he delievered the message and his tone when he used particular names, designations and obvious fervor and heat to lay his message to the people and the Pharisees?

What about Jesus....was he controverisal when he made a whip, drove the money changers from the temple with zeal while proclaiming the truth of His Father's house, or when he lay bare the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, people and others with particular names, designations and zeal?

What about Elijah, or Paul or maybe Moses when in anger he smashed the stone tablets......?

God uses many men with different demeanors and or methods of delivery............the word by it's very nature CUTS, OFFENDS and DIVIDES.........

Sometimes God needs it to be in our face because humanity is as stubborn as a mule and we will NOT listen to it if we are coddled, pampered and given the word like a crushed asprin with sugar in a spoon........

I had some white washed coffin tell me one time....We will catch more flies with honey than vinegar......My reply...we are not catching flies but rather lost humans that are facing an eternal hell......

I did not intend to fire you up, not at all. I was merely answering with my opinion, not pointing to anyone. The word to me is clear on how we are to communicate to one another, especially as brothers and sisters. I get fired up when ppl think using a gentle, respectful or considerate approach is sugar coating as though it lacks sincerity or truth, trying to butter ppl up. It isn't fair, again in my opinion, because it isn't accurate, not always. In using your good point, God uses many men with different demeanors and or methods of delivery, I definitely agree. All members of His body are used by Him. How many times have you made a very valid point and all that was received was the way it was delivered? For me, it has happened more than a couple of times. Really, I'm not coming for you, just trying to explain my comment about delivery and tone.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
To answer your question we really need to know what you mean by "controversial". If you mean a subject on which there is no consensus, then almost everything is controversial...as this thread proves. If by "controversial' you are asking what parts we struggle with on a personal level, then that becomes something else altogether.

All believers struggle and no one living has ever arrived at the place where they can truly say, "Oh, now I get it." Is it controversial that a serpent tempted Eve, the Red Sea split, the sun paused two hours in the sky? Sooner or later all those "controversies" must encounter Jesus. Like waves encountering the shore we find the controversies cannot be carried past, He is the immovable Rock against which they crash and shatter.

He makes them irrelevant.

inukubo

Jun 27, 2019
Everything in Scripture is controversial because God's Truth offends the pride and self-centeredness of our own fallen sinful nature. If you don't see Scripture as controversial or offensive, you are not being honest with yourself.

Dec 12, 2013
I did not intend to fire you up, not at all. I was merely answering with my opinion, not pointing to anyone. The word to me is clear on how we are to communicate to one another, especially as brothers and sisters. I get fired up when ppl think using a gentle, respectful or considerate approach is sugar coating as though it lacks sincerity or truth, trying to butter ppl up. It isn't fair, again in my opinion, because it isn't accurate, not always. In using your good point, God uses many men with different demeanors and or methods of delivery, I definitely agree. All members of His body are used by Him. How many times have you made a very valid point and all that was received was the way it was delivered? For me, it has happened more than a couple of times. Really, I'm not coming for you, just trying to explain my comment about delivery and tone.
and I would also say that words on a page do not necessarily equate to attitude, heat, anger and or being mouthy.....many times the things we say have motive and or emotion applied because facial expressions cannot be seen ;)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
and I would also say that words on a page do not necessarily equate to attitude, heat, anger and or being mouthy.....many times the things we say have motive and or emotion applied because facial expressions cannot be seen ;)
I agree with that 100%.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
It seems to me that pride and ego have a great deal to do with an individuals opinions about many texts. We all have different dialects and comprehension levels. As well as exposure to different teaching regarding scriptures and the contextual applications of such. I've heard at least 3 different rapture teachings within the same christian center.

Then their is saved by grace thru faith vs saved by works. Scripture encourages us to study the word and put teachers to the test. There are probably more false teachings than true and we must have discernment as well as study to show ourselves approved of God, A workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth... Work out our own salvation in fear and in trembling. If getting and being saved is the most important thing in our lives then studying the word is of paramount importance. Just pray for understanding and trust God above all else. If getting saved is not your #1 priority in life then that's a different story. Being a Christian is more than cultural, racial, political or social it's the future of the next life. This life is temporary!

Apr 22, 2019
Wow. It’s amazing what words people are drawn to and what words people will quibble over! Now if only the word “Jesus” had so much power in our day and age that “every knee would bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.”

Mar 28, 2016

I would agree . More Peter types mixed with the John's or David's .

God can express his anger but never in respect to man's anger, earthly of the devil.

Like the use of stammering lips, mocking deriding those who do mock him in un-belief. Calling the faithless fathers a brood of vipers sarcastically (tear at the flesh ) possibly as a thorn in the flesh in a hope of pricking a dead heart. Like with Paul's conversion. Or a prescription in a parable : answer not a foolish person according to what and how they say, answer it in a way to help them through their false pride.

Proverbs 26:4-6 King James Version (KJV) Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool cutteth off the feet, and drinketh damage. But like Elijah its the still small voice of a new heart that can draw us out . It leads to the B word. Balanced Prayer.

He causes the growth and if any pain in the flesh he is working with us . We must be care on how we hear it reflects how we say .

E

eternally-gratefull

Who is G-d?

Dec 9, 2011
I guess, I tried to post a controversial thread recently about Christianity and it got removed probably because my profile says that I’m unsure about whether I’m a Christian or not. So I started this thread because I wanted to ask you all as individuals... what part or parts of Christianity do you find controversial?
IKO there Is controversy of whether a sin will affect a persons salvation talking about from GODs point of view I mean that some Christians think they have to believe,And try to keep GODs standard of righteousness and some believe that the only thing required for salvation Is to believe.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019

"we are not catching flies but rather lost humans that are facing an eternal hell......"

We are sharing and preaching Gods word, God is catching people through the word.
Some come with a spirit of contention and confrontation, rather than love truth
and conviction.

Jesus talked of some teachers who are like thorns and thistles, that rip and tare,
not with good fruit like grapes and figs.

God bless you