What do you guys make of this verse? (Romans 13:8-10)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 15, 2017
I don't know what translation this is (probably NIV), but it effectively reads the same as the KJV, so it's most likely just fine:

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'Do not commit adultery,' 'Do not murder,' 'Do not steal,' 'Do not covet,' and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

This is freaking brilliant, you guys. Unless I am completely misunderstanding this, the passage basically means that anything done out of an earnest love for one's fellow man is a lawful action in the eyes of God. Am I right about that? :D
Love works no ill towards their neighbor;therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

That is why Jesus said a new commandment I give you,that you love one another as I have loved you.

When the rich man asked Jesus how he can inherit eternal life,Jesus said obey the commandments to love people,and sell all you have and give to the poor.

The 2 greatest commandments,love God,and love people,and on those 2 commandments hang all the law and prophets.

Creation testifies that there is a God,and of His attributes,which one of them is love,for He provided food,and the means to make clothing,and shelter,so the world is without excuse,which is the universal law that applies all through history,love God,and love people.

The love of money is the root of all evil,for it violates the 2 greatest commandments,love God,and love people,for if you love people,you love God,and the love of money neglects the poor and needy,which love is the fulfilling of the law,and what it is all about for the operation of God on earth.

Out of faith,hope,and charity,charity is the greatest,for faith,and hope,are only needed on earth,and not in heaven,and God will create a new earth,and the former shall not be remembered,or come to mind,and out of all the things we did on earth,love will be the only thing that will go on forever.

Love does not think an evil thought,and does not rejoice in iniquity,but rejoices in the truth,so love will not sin,and without love we are nothing.

The 2 greatest commandments,love God,and He hates sin,and He wants us to hate sin,and wants us to abstain from sin,led by the Spirit,which herein we know we love God,if we keep His moral commandments,and do not rejoice in iniquity,but the truth,and love people,love works no ill to people,therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Because if anybody can love people perfect,they can only do so by the Spirit,and if led by the Spirit it means they hate sin,and do not want sin,and by the Spirit can abstain from sin,which then they are not under the law,which means the law cannot touch them for prosecution,which Paul said we do not void out the law through faith,but we establish the law,and the law is spiritual,holy,just,and good,the moral laws,laws of love.

People that truly love do not think an evil thought,and do not rejoice in iniquity,and love people where they help them with their needs if possible.

Of course if we sin it can be forgiven,but until we give up the sin,we are in a position of not truly loving.

laoshanlung

Apr 21, 2015
Heheh... leave it to ol' Willie-T to bring in that lovely controversy! XD

I was gonna mention that in my opening, but I didn't want to upset anyone. That never goes well on these chat forums...

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
...I have...mixed feelings about love actually. One one hand, I agree that it is quite amazing if it's the more pleasant side of it, however I have experienced its...less desirable side...and that's all I'll say about it.
Sorry cuz you sound uncomfortable and if so just dont say anything buuuut what exactly do you mean by less desirable and why? Could be being nosey but still if you dont wanna answer i respect that you could also dm if its just like weird to say idk lol Gid bless.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Never go by the results of a vote by flesh, ask, and the Holy Spirit will reveal what is to be revealed, and if not wait on the Lord....eventually all will know.

I don't know what translation this is (probably NIV), but it effectively reads the same as the KJV, so it's most likely just fine:

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'Do not commit adultery,' 'Do not murder,' 'Do not steal,' 'Do not covet,' and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

This is freaking brilliant, you guys. Unless I am completely misunderstanding this, the passage basically means that anything done out of an earnest love for one's fellow man is a lawful action in the eyes of God. Am I right about that? :D