What Do You (Ladies) Think of Men Living with Their Parents?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

• It's a negative. I'd be embarrassed to tell my girlfriends a guy I was dating lived with his parents

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a negative. If we continued to go out, how would we ever be alone to cuddle up for a movie?

• It's a negative. Must have some financial issues to be living with parents.

• It's a negative, with two or more of the above, or other negatives.

• It's neutral. Don't care about negative clichés about 'living with parents'; wouldn't bother me.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • It's a positive. Probably denotes taking care of his parents, good family relations and saving money

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I would choose neutral or positive cause I wouldn't want to admit/say it's a turnoff.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
Sounds like you're saying you meant the 'plus point of the man living independently' is you believe he's gained valuable life experiences?

Maybe you're not at the age yet where you might find a man who had already lived on his own many years, but now is back living with his parents... probably already gained most of all those hardship life lessons. So you might just be dealing with that current living situation. Any other plus points you give for the man living independently besides the hardship lessons?
Yes,sir exactly what I mean...thank you 😊

Hmmm...I am probably more than a decade older than you 😅 but I humbly admit that I still got a lot of things to learn about life and men...

I don't think it is a negative thing. Sometimes life doesn't turn out the way we'd hoped and planned it... we loss our job or we become sick...sometimes we need some help while getting back on our feet and going back home is our only and the best option ..this is totally OK...it is OK to ask for help...

It is a plus for me because I think that a man like that, can handle things on his own.... If He can manage his own life and take care of himself....He can take care of others too...I feel like I can lean on him, he can take care of me and he can lead and will do everything to provide and protect his future family 👪

Aug 20, 2021
Yes,sir exactly what I mean...thank you 😊

Hmmm...I am probably more than a decade older than you 😅 but I humbly admit that I still got a lot of things to learn about life and men...

I don't think it is a negative thing. Sometimes life doesn't turn out the way we'd hoped and planned it... we loss our job or we become sick...sometimes we need some help while getting back on our feet and going back home is our only and the best option ..this is totally OK...it is OK to ask for help...

It is a plus for me because I think that a man like that, can handle things on his own.... If He can manage his own life and take care of himself....He can take care of others too...I feel like I can lean on him, he can take care of me and he can lead and will do everything to provide and protect his future family 👪
I know it sounds weird but stop thinking human you most hate those you love.:mad:

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
I know it sounds weird but stop thinking human you most hate those you love.:mad:
I am sorry I don't understand what you are saying...can u elaborate your comment for me please....thanks

Aug 20, 2021
I am sorry I don't understand what you are saying...can u elaborate your comment for me please....thanks
[Luk 14:26 KJV] 26 If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

[Mat 10:37 KJV] 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. well Lai lah tov = good night:)

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
You probably misunderstood my comment sir/madam 🤔

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Since God is a believers parents (He is OUR Father, isnt He? ) then anyone living in Him has got to have a good thing going, irrespective of whether they live with their biological parents or not.

And seeing we all live on earth, which is our Mother, then I might conclude that anyone on the ocean or underwater is a bit far from their parents, not to mention they are probably dead, having drowned. Unless he is somehow a merman.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
While sailors are exciting and adventurous, personally I can get sea sick and prefer to be on dry land. Though I know some women can handle a life on the sea and love it.

hmmm I know one couple from church who sold up and live on their yacht. But they got stuck in the Panama at one point and couldnt make landfall.

For some strange reason, I love seafood, its like my body craves it. But for me to live on the sea isnt for me. Near it ok.
Of course everyones has got to live somewhere. If you dont live with your parents where else are you going to live, in an orphanage? The YMCA? You aunty and uncle? Flatting? In a tent? In the dog kennel? The garage or basement? A fishing boat? In a hole in the ground?

Sep 8, 2021
My first husband lived with his mother. They owned property & my mother knew his mother for years. He was good at what he did, mostly to get people to feel sorry for him. Didn't really know that then. His mother had alzheimers. I had no idea why she would just out of the blue blow up & I couldn't find out why. We had a son, best thing that came out of the marriage. I had no money to leave, but if I did I would have. His mother tried to bust in the bedroom door at night because she thought we were sleeping with no clothes on. It was bad all the way around & not to mention the fact that she told me after we were married that my husband was dirty. Not in lack of bathing but as a person. Sure wish I had known that before I married him. Loud, loved to argue, wanted to be thought of & the whole 12 years we were married, I can count on one hand the gifts he gave to me for holidays. I could go on, but you get the picture. Left him because he wanted to discuss everything in front of our child even our sex. I sure knew how to pick them. lol

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
For guys who live with parents it's probably better to not discuss that until after you've secured her love. After she loves you, it will be more difficult for her to reject you based on something like where you live..
Based on my own personal experience and observation I would say that one of the first things she will determine, before this love sets in, is how and where the guy lives.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
My first husband lived with his mother. They owned property & my mother knew his mother for years. He was good at what he did, mostly to get people to feel sorry for him. Didn't really know that then. His mother had alzheimers. I had no idea why she would just out of the blue blow up & I couldn't find out why. We had a son, best thing that came out of the marriage. I had no money to leave, but if I did I would have. His mother tried to bust in the bedroom door at night because she thought we were sleeping with no clothes on. It was bad all the way around & not to mention the fact that she told me after we were married that my husband was dirty. Not in lack of bathing but as a person. Sure wish I had known that before I married him. Loud, loved to argue, wanted to be thought of & the whole 12 years we were married, I can count on one hand the gifts he gave to me for holidays. I could go on, but you get the picture. Left him because he wanted to discuss everything in front of our child even our sex. I sure knew how to pick them. lol
The mystery here is why you waited 12 years to leave. Sounds like an intolerable living environment. Hopefully, things are much better for you and your son now.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
While sailors are exciting and adventurous, personally I can get sea sick and prefer to be on dry land. Though I know some women can handle a life on the sea and love it.

hmmm I know one couple from church who sold up and live on their yacht. But they got stuck in the Panama at one point and couldnt make landfall.

For some strange reason, I love seafood, its like my body craves it. But for me to live on the sea isnt for me. Near it ok.
Of course everyones has got to live somewhere. If you dont live with your parents where else are you going to live, in an orphanage? The YMCA? You aunty and uncle? Flatting? In a tent? In the dog kennel? The garage or basement? A fishing boat? In a hole in the ground?
I did the tent thing for a few weeks. Seafood is a good thing though.

Mar 4, 2020
Based on my own personal experience and observation I would say that one of the first things she will determine, before this love sets in, is how and where the guy lives.
Right, or that could happen. In my experience, people are often petty. They won't like you if you don't open up enough of your life to them, laugh at their jokes, dignify them, etc. So there can be disadvantage to having too many secrets, but some people like having a private life. I don't know my current gf's home address or who exactly she invites over and she doesn't know mine either, this arrangement works well for us.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If you live in a hole in the ground you're playing Minecraft - first night. :p

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well parents can drive you nuts which is why many people dont live with them

Though in the Bible the guy that left home squandered all his inheritance and ended up living in a pig sty. He wanted to go home after that.

Nov 13, 2021

What would your gut reaction be to finding out the guy your out with, or dating, lives with his parents?

Is it a turnoff? Would you be embarrassed if your girlfriends knew? Would they kid you? Would think there's probably a financial problem? Would it be a turnoff to know you two would never really be alone in the place where he lives? Would you think he's probably too controlled by parents?

Would you think it's good for society and family, but not particularly a good thing for you to be the girlfriend?

Is it a completely neutral thing to you? It's the reasons why that matter?

Would you think it's likely a positive thing: probably if he's taking care of parents/family, has good family relations, saving money is a good thing?
i think that it woouid not be a bad thing but i wouid say if the two are dating then i have to say that they shouid tell their siblings to let them have some alone time to cuddle

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
i think that it woouid not be a bad thing but i wouid say if the two are dating then i have to say that they shouid tell their siblings to let them have some alone time to cuddle
Yes, well... that's what front porches are for. ;)

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I dont mind if they do. It seems like a generational thing. Alot of people my age dont drive either now. I live with parents and pay rent and work as well. Its a convenient set up while I prepare to get my own place.

ankagirl

Feb 10, 2021

What would your gut reaction be to finding out the guy your out with, or dating, lives with his parents?

Is it a turnoff? Would you be embarrassed if your girlfriends knew? Would they kid you? Would think there's probably a financial problem? Would it be a turnoff to know you two would never really be alone in the place where he lives? Would you think he's probably too controlled by parents?

Would you think it's good for society and family, but not particularly a good thing for you to be the girlfriend?

Is it a completely neutral thing to you? It's the reasons why that matter?

Would you think it's likely a positive thing: probably if he's taking care of parents/family, has good family relations, saving money is a good thing?
It really depends. I know guys that lived with their parents, but it didn't stop them from getting a good job, branching out on theiur own, becoming independent, etc,... I've also known guys who lived with their parents because they were lazy. Didn't want to work, lazy to find a good wife (but of course REALLY want one), didn't want to pay bills, etc,...
If I'd meet a guy like my first example, then no problem! Second guy? HUGE turnoff. A guy that's lazy is often lazy is most areas of life, not just one. I definitely do NOT want to end up with a guy that's too lazy to fix the car, or cook dinner when I'm pregnant and feeling lousy, or go to church 'cause he wants to sleep for an extra hour. Unfortunately, a lot of guys that live with their parents (especially past the age of 25-30) are exactly that.
Anyways, that's my opinion. What's yours?

ankagirl

Feb 10, 2021
Emily hit the nail on the head with this one.

I think the main reason why women seem so turned off by the idea of a man living with his parents is because they're picturing a half-grown man child glued to a gaming console while sitting amongst clouds of cheese puff dust, barely barking a "thank you" to his mother as she delivers yet another takeout pizza to his basement abode because he can't be bothered to actually get up and answer the door (let alone pay or tip the driver.)

I mean, we're talking about an all-time high score here!! Good grief woman, don't you know this guy has priorities?!? But he fully believes he will someday marry a woman who possesses the impossibly proportioned measurements of all the female-type creatures he is encountering on his "journey" who are dressed in little more than a Band-Aid. (And as an affirmation, he curls up next to his full-body anime pillow of his favorite scantily or fetish-clad female character as nightly reassurance.)

One of my friends was talking about the fact that when she was growing up, she couldn't wait to get a car and be able to escape the house (even though she had a good home life,) but that her son had absolutely no interest in driving (she had to force him to go get his license when he was like 19,) let alone finding a job or researching colleges to attend. All he wanted to do was play games with his friends online.

In the time I've been here on CC (but maybe it's just me,) there usually seems to be a disproportionate number of threads discussing the woes of women being too independent and not submitting to men in marriage, but I don't see many, if any, threads about the woes of men not taking up the leadership position.

I'm not trying to turn this into a gender vs. gender issue at all, but no one seems to talk about what will happen to the future of Christian marriages when women's only option is to marry a man who can neither get nor hold a job, doesn't know how to pay bills, refuses to drive, couldn't survive outside his parent's roof, and yet is somehow automatically going to become the "leader" of the household when he gets married and will be responsible for having the final say in all decisions. If that's all I could find, I would just stay single.

Just picture a man who doesn't know how to live a responsible, independent life because his parents never taught or allowed him the chance to do so, and then he marries and brings his wife home to live with his family. He then tells his wife, "My Mom said we are only allowed to have the food on the bottom right half of the fridge, and when we're finished, she wants us to clean the rest of the fridge and the kitchen. Oh, and since I'm married, she also told me that she's expecting me (I mean you, since you're the only one with a driver's license and full-time job) to start paying the mortgage on the house." And meanwhile, his able-bodied mother does nothing all day but watch Dr. Phil while downing bags of Doritos and cases of diet Coke.

I have no problem with a man who is trying to help out his parents for good reasons (but if it's due to their own mismanagement and poor decisions, I would choose to distance myself.)

But can anyone else see the problem here?

Christians are expecting women to "submit" to husbands -- WHO ARE TAKING DIRECTIONS FROM, AND CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT ANOTHER WOMAN -- THEIR MOTHER.

In other words, the Christian culture is demanding that women "submit" themselves to men who are fully RELIANT UPON ANOTHER WOMAN for their survival, but yet, you, the wife, will be seen as "the lesser woman" who is to be kept under both his AND his mother's direction.

I know I might be seen as rebellious and evil for thinking this way, but there is no way I'm going to marry a man who is constantly looking to another woman for providence and instructions -- even if it's his own mother -- and then expect me to be the good little submissive wife who lives under both their thumbs, then brings home the money that will be distributed according to his and his mother's whims.

This is a major reason as to why I broke up with the first boyfriend I ever had. He would not stand up to his mother, even when distanced, and she just had to have control over everything and every one. NO WAY was I going to marry into that.

The Bible says that a man will LEAVE his father and mother and become one with his wife. I understand that in certain cultures or situations, the man might still be living with his father and mother, and that can be understandable.

But I think it's absolutely crucial for a potentiial marriage that the man should at least have a way of proving that he will be able to live independently and give his wife absolute precedence over his parents in their relationship (w!

Love it! Moms need to start teaching their sons to be God-fearing, hard-working, independent, and MANLY!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont know if guys are lazy but their parents would probably more of the problem than the guy actually. (the way some people are brought up....waaaaay too spoiled)

I know some parents can be schizophrenic. And that is hard to live with, but the guy may be obligated to care for them despite their difficulties.

Ive not really known a guy that is too lazy to fix HIS OWN car, most guys love their cars to bits, but the problem is if he collects too many and is way to busy to fix them up, so they end up rusting on the front lawn because they cant all fit in his garage.