What do you think about always?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Heavenian

Jun 18, 2020
What do you see? What are your thoughts? The HOLY SPIRIT says in Proverbs 23:7 that “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. “Again, HE says, “As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart (Proverbs 27:19).”
You’re the character of your thoughts. If you’d let the WORD OF GOD dominate your thinking, it’ll give you the right mindset of victory, success, and dominion, with visions of limitless possibilities. Read Romans 12:2.

When your thoughts are consistent with the provisions of GOD’S WORD, your life will be a reflection of His Glory, for the Glory is in the WORD.
Many years ago, I grabbed this into my spirit (heart), and that’s what I am. Glory to GOD forever and ever.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It makes, me think of how we will see God face to face. When Moses talked to God up on the mountain top top he came back shining as His glory was reflected on Him. Jesus was transfigured also and his clothes became bright and shiny.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
So how does that work with the parts of the Bible like Heb 11: 35-39?

But others were tortured, refusing to turn from God in order to be set free. They placed their hope in a better life after the resurrection. 36 Some were jeered at, and their backs were cut open with whips. Others were chained in prisons. 37 Some died by stoning, some were sawed in half, and others were killed with the sword. Some went about wearing skins of sheep and goats, destitute and oppressed and mistreated. 38 They were too good for this world, wandering over deserts and mountains, hiding in caves and holes in the ground.
39 All these people earned a good reputation because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised.

Anyone read that and be like, " Oh yeah, I want to have a life full of that kind of faith" ?

Not saying we shouldn't read and devour the Bible, but I do think we deceive ourselves about what the Bible really is, if we think it's always supportive and inspiring and never daunting or challenging.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I notice WOF preachers like to preach Hebrews chapter 11 but they dont like to mention THOSE verses lol. They just read up to that part about the heroes of faith and then cut it off before verse 35.

Sep 13, 2018

But others were tortured, refusing to turn from God in order to be set free. They placed their hope in a better life after the resurrection. 36 Some were jeered at, and their backs were cut open with whips. Others were chained in prisons. 37 Some died by stoning, some were sawed in half, and others were killed with the sword. Some went about wearing skins of sheep and goats, destitute and oppressed and mistreated. 38 They were too good for this world, wandering over deserts and mountains, hiding in caves and holes in the ground.
39 All these people earned a good reputation because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised.

Anyone read that and be like, " Oh yeah, I want to have a life full of that kind of faith" ?

Not saying we shouldn't read and devour the Bible, but I do think we deceive ourselves about what the Bible really is, if we think it's always supportive and inspiring and never daunting or challenging.
Are you talking about the Apostles? How every last one of them were tortured and or killed in the name of Jesus...

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Are you talking about the Apostles? How every last one of them were tortured and or killed in the name of Jesus...
The prophets, the apostles, many martyrs of the early Christian church under the Roman empire, recent up to present day sufferings and persecution against believers in muslim and communist countries. Let's just say it's such a long list (that the author of hebrews likely knew would be added to after he wrote) that you can't list all the names and trying to would probably look like one of the geneaology lists in the Bible.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you were Hebrew those lists would mean a lot more to you as you would want to know who your ancestors are and are they listed?
They had interesting names anyway. My name isnt in the Bible :-(

I had a boy named Daniel in the library today and I say to him do you know your name is famous???

I also have Noah, Ephesian, Blessing, Faith, Ruth....

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
What do you see? What are your thoughts? The HOLY SPIRIT says in Proverbs 23:7 that “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. “Again, HE says, “As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart (Proverbs 27:19).”
You’re the character of your thoughts. If you’d let the WORD OF GOD dominate your thinking, it’ll give you the right mindset of victory, success, and dominion, with visions of limitless possibilities. Read Romans 12:2.

When your thoughts are consistent with the provisions of GOD’S WORD, your life will be a reflection of His Glory, for the Glory is in the WORD.
Many years ago, I grabbed this into my spirit (heart), and that’s what I am. Glory to GOD forever and ever.

I think we are all part of a huge battle that has been raging for thousands of years. We are all soldiers, but many don't know how costly this war is. It's a battle for our very souls. We must have a warrior spirit, be on guard, be ready for anything, and always seek shelter in the LORD.

The world is very seductive and tempts us all with our fleshly desires, but those who over come will see the real worth in life. Although, being in a constant struggle makes us weary, broken, bitter, and resentful. That's why God gives us rest, but many don't take time off, to thank God for all the miracles/blessings HE has given us.

Instead of thinking about all the things we don't have, we should be thanking God for all things we do have.

The desire of riches, power, pride, and prestige is one of the devil's common tactics to keep us from seeking Jesus. One verse that has really struck a nerve is.....

Matthew 6:21

21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
when you actually dont have much, I think you try and think of things you dont have because its comforting.

Paul tells us to think on things that are lovely, things that are true...

I remember one time when I was very depressed and I actually could not think of anything that was lovely or anything that I could recall that was pleasurable in my own life. Its very hard to think of things when your mind is oppressed. I had to go right to the basics ok I am still alive and breathing. My hands havent been cut off.
I can still sing.

theres a famous book called I know why the caged bird sings. when you have been exiled from your own land you hang up your harp on a willow and remember zion.

If youve never had zion then you have to imagine it.

Sep 13, 2018
If you were Hebrew those lists would mean a lot more to you as you would want to know who your ancestors are and are they listed?
They had interesting names anyway. My name isnt in the Bible :-(

I had a boy named Daniel in the library today and I say to him do you know your name is famous???

I also have Noah, Ephesian, Blessing, Faith, Ruth....
I named my daughter Elizabeth, After the first American saint. lol...

Mii

Mar 23, 2019

This is a very important post direction. Rarely if ever do people think about (or indeed even experience) this sort of faith.

Personally, I wrestle with it. Sometimes I feel as though I don't have enough faith to literally give up my entire life and live according to faith vs sin (whatever is not of faith is sin) when so many other people live in sort of a 50/50 fashion which seems like a "truce" or armistice with the internal struggle.

I'm uncertain why this isn't so much talked about in scripture but perhaps it is necessary for me to unpack what I mean. Providence would be a given in both mindsets. (providence to be a tent maker vs providence to live on collective)

It's like someone that gets to live in modest luxury and mild hedonism and is a powerful financial force in a local body or even prolific in missions but they die in that of old age vs what you mentioned. Of course there will be some persecution regardless as that is laid out pretty clearly in scripture, but it seems that some are tested to a much more extreme degree.

I could attempt to lay out a much more thought out example from real world stories, but the path of a martyr seems to have a considerable faith requisite that other walks do not. I have difficulty reconciling this in my own personal life.

What makes it "almost" impossible (philippians 4:13) is that it's like I have a choice to be IN the world and not of...basically living life in the world with politics, community activism, education, retirement, activism, vacations, traveling, short-term missions...and...in the world living the life of a missionary where you are basically totally invested at great expense to whatever "personal life" you could have on this earth. Giving it ALL up for the sake of the gospel in a way that from my perspective "you are hardly even in...simply passing through as a waypoint"

Perhaps it would be best to try to boil down these a little more clearly, but it is possible that this distinction is seen in the Old Testament as well (which I would be willing to elaborate, although most here are probably familiar). At least back then it was simpler because you were born into a particular tribe.

Nowadays...it seems that you have a choice as something of a "dependent" contractor vs perhaps a journeyman.
You have options that present different paths through life...Hopefully all of these are set on "the way" but it is difficult to understand such different life experiences.

I've gone longer than I intended. It's a sore point for me. It is difficult to choose (and I pray I don't ever have to) and it will be clear the path that the Lord desires me to take. Either or, they both have their pluses and minuses and produce different relations with the Lord after a fashion. Like the difference between a priest and a king (insert gender side trail). We are both, but is it not possible to prioritize or be skewed in either direction intentionally or perhaps by design?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

You make an interesting point. There are people of great faith and love of God that starve to death or die in some other horrible death everyday.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

You wrote quite a thought provoking post. It is wise to allow the WORD OF GOD to dominate your thinking always. Glad to have you onboard with us.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
This is a very important post direction. Rarely if ever do people think about (or indeed even experience) this sort of faith.

Personally, I wrestle with it. Sometimes I feel as though I don't have enough faith to literally give up my entire life and live according to faith vs sin (whatever is not of faith is sin) when so many other people live in sort of a 50/50 fashion which seems like a "truce" or armistice with the internal struggle.

I'm uncertain why this isn't so much talked about in scripture but perhaps it is necessary for me to unpack what I mean. Providence would be a given in both mindsets. (providence to be a tent maker vs providence to live on collective)

It's like someone that gets to live in modest luxury and mild hedonism and is a powerful financial force in a local body or even prolific in missions but they die in that of old age vs what you mentioned. Of course there will be some persecution regardless as that is laid out pretty clearly in scripture, but it seems that some are tested to a much more extreme degree.

I could attempt to lay out a much more thought out example from real world stories, but the path of a martyr seems to have a considerable faith requisite that other walks do not. I have difficulty reconciling this in my own personal life.

What makes it "almost" impossible (philippians 4:13) is that it's like I have a choice to be IN the world and not of...basically living life in the world with politics, community activism, education, retirement, activism, vacations, traveling, short-term missions...and...in the world living the life of a missionary where you are basically totally invested at great expense to whatever "personal life" you could have on this earth. Giving it ALL up for the sake of the gospel in a way that from my perspective "you are hardly even in...simply passing through as a waypoint"

Perhaps it would be best to try to boil down these a little more clearly, but it is possible that this distinction is seen in the Old Testament as well (which I would be willing to elaborate, although most here are probably familiar). At least back then it was simpler because you were born into a particular tribe.

Nowadays...it seems that you have a choice as something of a "dependent" contractor vs perhaps a journeyman.
You have options that present different paths through life...Hopefully all of these are set on "the way" but it is difficult to understand such different life experiences.

I've gone longer than I intended. It's a sore point for me. It is difficult to choose (and I pray I don't ever have to) and it will be clear the path that the Lord desires me to take. Either or, they both have their pluses and minuses and produce different relations with the Lord after a fashion. Like the difference between a priest and a king (insert gender side trail). We are both, but is it not possible to prioritize or be skewed in either direction intentionally or perhaps by design?
I think what you're saying is true, but not necessarily because life is more complicated now. I think it's because we live in a kind of autonomous culture with ill defined borders. The Israelites in the OT lived under the law of God and Mosiac law was so imbedded into their hearts that sin could be defined in absolutes. And you're right, it was probably simplier, not because of being in a particular tribe, but that the law was well defined and articulated by the Levites as the final word.

Another form of culture could be like a lot of Middle Eastern nations where the church leaders dictate the law. Dictate decisions concerning sin or interpretations of sin. Some could even say that Catholicism falls into this category in that written guidelines interpret what to believe and how to believe it.

But a lot of us, barring those in cult like behavior, are in the autonomous, free thought culture. And so one is free to be "led by the Holy Spirit" and off we go in a thousand different denominations. Which is OK, but there's always the rub when a church leader dictates what to believe and discounts your own autonomous belief. A good example would be the issue of tolerance with homosexual marriages in the church. The church leaders are reverting to dictation of law in an autonomous culture thus causing splits and even newer denominations formed.

I think it's more sociological problems than theological. And it's altogether too complicated for me and gives me a headache. I really just want to Praise God and make rocking chairs. But... in order to eat... I complicate things.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018

I think the bible is very challenging. In fact I rarely see it as anything other than daunting. I cant tell if that's a good thing though...it honestly doesn't seem that way though as I rarely see it as comforting.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
are you talking about middle class western culture because politics, community activism, education retirements, vacations, activitsm and short term missions were part of Hebrew culture anyway who is to say they were not. They had their own form of it back then and have it even now. Not all Hebrew or Jewish culture ran away to hide in caves and be monks, just some of them (the essenes) just like christians have different sects that close themselves off from others like amish.

while there is less of a tribal community now since lots of people live in cities and not in own families, when you live in the city you start to form your own communities hence the reason for church gatherings.

Christians who are born again dont actually live under the written law as interpreted by others, God writes the law on their hearts. You cant dictate what is on someone elses heart. Only God can do that, which is why church leaders can never lay down the law and force everyone else to conform to it.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

Those you are speaking of in Hebrews were the Profits that were tortured and killed by the Jews are they not? As for Scripture and it's truth, Jesus Himself said what things would be done to us........and does not Scripture ALSO SAY we are to take joy in our agonies? Did not Paul and others sing praises to God while they were in prison? There are many instances of Christians who faced the worst the world had to offer and STILL praised God and did not fail in their faith! People seem to have great faith during the good times...........but let a wee dark cloud appear and ..........................

OH TO HAVE SUCH FAITH!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Hebrews, Chapter 12:

1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
5And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
12Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.