What do you think about self esteem?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Which is worse, self love or self hate?

• Self love, of course. That's what pride is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Self hate, definitely. It displeases God.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WineRose

Jan 3, 2017
Row A, Column 9
This is the first time I actually asked a question, but I got something for ya.

What is your view of self esteem? Good or bad? Is self love or hate more beneficial in the long run when it comes to your walk with Jesus? I ask this for no particular reason, just to see what people think.

My view is that excessive self love is slightly worse than self hate, but I think there is no absolutely correct answer to this question, and people's opinions will vary. I would like to see what your opinion is.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2015
Simply understand your identity.

T

Tinuviel

Overrated. You don't have to esteem yourself. Honestly, you don't even have to KNOW yourself. You need to esteem GOD and know HIM and when you really are getting to know him He will show you that you are precious in His sight, and that should be how you view yourself :) Because self-esteem for self is indeed merely self-love. Self-esteem from God's perspective is beautiful. :) does that even make sense!? lol

notmyown

May 26, 2016
'love your neighbor as yourself'

sorta assumes self-love is our default mode. we don't even have to try. ;)

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Hate sin not the sinner. Love your neighbor as yourself. Self esteem isnt only loving yourself but seeing your self worth and respect who u are. If u dont love yourself u cant love others.. anything excessive is destructive. God bless

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
When we focus too much on self-esteem, we get "special snowflakes".

Funny how something that sounds "hot" can lead to something "cold".

EmilyNats

Jul 28, 2016
I think you need to respect yourself and not base your worth in the value that others put on you, but rather the value God puts on you. At the same time, we are called to live in humility. So really it's a very delicate balance, imo.

W

Wild

Take care of your body, it is a temple. Take care of your soul it is all that matters in the end. Do those two things and the rest will fall into place.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I think you need to respect yourself and not base your worth in the value that others put on you, but rather the value God puts on you. At the same time, we are called to live in humility. So really it's a very delicate balance, imo.
Amen!

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Hate sin not the sinner. Love your neighbor as yourself. Self esteem isnt only loving yourself but seeing your self worth and respect who u are. If u dont love yourself u cant love others.. anything excessive is destructive. God bless

This can be misleading. You love yourself by default so the challenge is to love others. If you love yourself more than others, you become self absorbed and loving others would be harder that's why we are called to love others as we love ourselves and not to love ourseves first before we can love others.

Nov 19, 2016
Php 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

1Co 8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Jas 4:16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

It is alright to have self esteem for we have to love ourselves,as well as love other people,but if we have anything to boast about God said,keep it to yourself,and boast rather of Him,and people.

Self esteem in confidence that you can do things well,is not the same as boasting,for that is someone orally expressing that they are something special in an attempt to get people to think,you are special,or important,which God said it is wrong in that fashion.

Dec 15, 2015
You're temple of living and show your self esteem on that way KJV2Corinthians6;16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Jul 27, 2016

What is your view of self esteem? Good or bad? Is self love or hate more beneficial in the long run when it comes to your walk with Jesus? I ask this for no particular reason, just to see what people think.

My view is that excessive self love is slightly worse than self hate, but I think there is no absolutely correct answer to this question, and people's opinions will vary. I would like to see what your opinion is.
I dunno. I self hate myself. I never knew this displeased God... how? and can you back it up with Bible verses too?

I think good is best, overconfidence. Because it's just SO FUN when you're in that mood. Also because it leads you to do good things that'll benefit you.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Having an accurate POV of ones own limitations is a good thing.. It makes one humble.. And God loves the humble and contrite ones..

Isaiah 57 JKV:
15 "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

Wanna be lifted from this shadow of a world? Flee pride and boasting and be humble.. Do not exalt yourself..
Matthew 23: KJV
12 "And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

1 Peter 5: KJV
6 "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time:"

Jul 27, 2016
Having an accurate POV of ones own limitations is a good thing.. It makes one humble.. And God loves the humble and contrite ones..

Isaiah 57 JKV:
15 "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

Wanna be lifted from this shadow of a world? Flee pride and boasting and be humble.. Do not exalt yourself..
Matthew 23: KJV
12 "And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

1 Peter 5: KJV
6 "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time:"
Whenever I get overconfident, or really hyped up, I get like Muhammad Ali's attitude lol or like Floyd Mayweather's attitude lol hahahhahaha

Feb 7, 2015

I think accurate "self-awareness" is much more important. "Esteem" (as used here) basically means 'an assumed opinion.'

W

wwjd_kilden

The Norwegian word for self estreem is selvtillit, that is: self-trust .... so maybe closer to your word confidence?

So, I do think it is an important thing to have , because lack of it means you don't dare to try things, which often indirectly mean you retreat from society ... and I don't think God wants us to do that.

Then again, there are plenty of people who thing they are the centre of the universe,
or that they are masters at everything, and they don't make nice people to be around either :p