What does born again mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 21, 2020
You have been reported for your Catholic heresy.
JMO, but sometimes this place is too cliquish.

If someone gets reported and banned because they currently believe things a certain way, how will they ever learn? If he's shut out, what choice is left except to go back to his former church?

There are a lot of Christians who are Catholic. They love God and are doing their best to please Him, according to the way they were raised, what they know, what they have been taught. Like it or not, they are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

If anyone's response to this is "Catholics aren't Christian," they'd better do some self-examination.

Again, JMO.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
JMO, but sometimes this place is too cliquish.

If someone gets reported and banned because they currently believe things a certain way, how will they ever learn? If he's shut out, what choice is left except to go back to his former church?

There are a lot of Christians who are Catholic. They love God and are doing their best to please Him, according to the way they were raised, what they know, what they have been taught. Like it or not, they are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

If anyone's response to this is "Catholics aren't Christian," they'd better do some self-examination.

Again, JMO.
I respect your opinion, but see no reason to entertain Catholic heresy from someone who is clearly proselytizing. He isn’t here to learn, but to lecture.

Jan 4, 2023
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Acts 16:
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Faith alone?

Jan 4, 2023
There are many Catholics who are Christian, but many Catholic doctrines are not true.
Where do you want to begin?
Mother of God?

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 15:1-5)
Thanks

Jan 4, 2023
That's not what it says! Here is the text of verses 1 and 2:

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. (NIV)

Jesus said nothing about "successors of Moses".

What was taken from them and given to others (all Christians, not merely the apostles) was the kingdom.

Says you; nothing in Scripture supports your assertion.
Simple logic is necessary for apologetics and discourse

Who else sits in the chair of Moses but his successors?

They had the power to bind and loose and authority to open and shut (keys) now read Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18
Apostles received their jurisdictional hierarchical power and authority Jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20
Thanks

Dec 21, 2020
Where do you want to begin?
Mother of God?
That's one, yes.

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 15:1-5)
Thanks
The church is the body of Christ, not the Catholic denomination.

Jan 4, 2023
Yes; the priesthood of all believers in Christ.

Define "absolve" as you are using it here.

All believers are called to this ministry.
The New Testament has a three fold priesthood

High priesthood: “Jesus Christ”
acts 10:14
heb 5:1
heb 8:1
heb 8:3

Ministerial priesthood: “apostles & their successors, and those they ordain” (low priests)
Mk 3:14
Jn 15:16
Jn 20:23
acts 1:15-26
acts 14:23
Acts 16:4
Rom 15:16
1 cor 9:14
1 Tim 3:1-2
1 Tim 2:7
1 Tim 4:14
Phil 1:1
James 5:14

Royal priesthood: “baptized members of Jesus Christ”
1 pet 2:5-9

The new covenant was a reformation of the mosaic covenant so it has many similarities. Heb 9:10

Absolve: to forgive sins
I absolv you from your sins in the name of the father and the son and the Holy Spirit. Jn 20:23 2 cor 5:18 1 Jn 1:9 thanks

Jan 4, 2023
Rules taught by men, not the word of God.
Even the word of God is thru men
And is part of tradition
Do you also reject the church fathers teaching?
Are they not found in acts 1:8 and acts 2:42?

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
born again.

he who was dead in tresspasses and sin, is made alive..

jesus tells us how to be born again.

John 3: 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Acts 16:
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Salvation=deliverance, saved=delivered, and save=deliver, according to Strong's concordance.

There is a one time eternal deliverance, which was given to all of those that God gave to his Son, to redeem them from their sins.

There are many deliverances that the born again child of God receives as he sojourns here on earth.

If you persist in applying all of the salvation scriptures to be referring to eternal deliverance, they will teach eternal salvation by your good works, which is a false doctrine .

Dec 21, 2020
Salvation=deliverance, saved=delivered, and save=deliver, according to Strong's concordance.

There is a one time eternal deliverance, which was given to all of those that God gave to his Son, to redeem them from their sins.
The "one time eternal deliverance" occurs when a person decides to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ (Eph 1:13).

There are many deliverances that the born again child of God receives as he sojourns here on earth.

If you persist in applying all of the salvation scriptures to be referring to eternal deliverance, they will teach eternal salvation by your good works, which is a false doctrine .
Deciding to have faith in Jesus Christ is not works.

Eph 2:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
born again.

he who was dead in tresspasses and sin, is made alive..

jesus tells us how to be born again.

John 3: 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Believing in spiritual things is a product of having been quickened to a new spiritual life.

Eph 2:1-5 explains how a DEAD alien sinner (1 Cor 2:14) is quickened to the new spiritual life in Christ.

Jan 4, 2023
Mark 1:15
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
In my experience as a teenager, I went through the motions, said the prayer and got baptized, but nothing changed. I didn't really understand what it meant to be saved. Looking back, I see that God was drawing me to Himself but didn't realize it and at the time I didn't want to admit I was a sinner. When I turned 21, after much heartache and self-examination I came to my senses. I became aware that I was a hopeless sinner. When a preacher presented the Hope of the Gospel I Repented of my sins and God changed me from the inside out. To the praise of the Glory of His grace!
Are you then saved?