What does 'Repent' mean ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Repentance is the fruit of believing. It is found in doing the instructions instead of convincing yourself that you heard the story and you believe.

It is a gift we receive from God as He draws us to Christ and Salvation.

There is a lot of work to be done in Salvation. Its kind of a misnomer to say Salvation is not of works. Its just not our works that are done. It is the Work of God. From start to finish.
Amen By the faith of Christ's labor of love . His Spirit works in us to both will and do his good pleasure . He makes our hearts soft giving us his sabbath rest. . . yoked with him This when we do mix faith the unseen understanding he freely gives to us, and not harden our own heart.,.

He informs us in Job 23. He is of one mind. Who could turn him? He always does what soever he appoints to us. It is the water of His word makes our hearts soft .He promised to never leave us alone.

Job 23. 13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him. Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him. For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me:

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
Amen By the faith of Christ's labor of love . His Spirit works in us to both will and do his good pleasure . He makes our hearts soft giving us his sabbath rest. . . yoked with him This when we do mix faith the unseen understanding he freely gives to us, and not harden our own heart.,.

He informs us in Job 23. He is of one mind. Who could turn him? He always does what soever he appoints to us. It is the water of His word makes our hearts soft .He promised to never leave us alone.

Job 23. 13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him. Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him. For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me:
Listen, one cannot win souls for Christ unless the sinner sees his NEED for excepting him. Acts says it in this way: "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward GOD, and FAITH toward our Lord Jesus Christ". Unless our sins are pointed out, (have you ever lied, stole, committed adultery, used God's name in vain, and so forth) then one will have a very shallow view of his need for forgiveness and a saviour.

Mar 28, 2016
Listen, one cannot win souls for Christ unless the sinner sees his NEED for excepting him. Acts says it in this way: "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward GOD, and FAITH toward our Lord Jesus Christ". Unless our sins are pointed out, (have you ever lied, stole, committed adultery, used God's name in vain, and so forth) then one will have a very shallow view of his need for forgiveness and a saviour.
We preach he teaches and wins souls.

Yes the written word of God. . the spirit of faith that works in the heart of man exposés the need for a savor to those spiritually blind and deaf .

Isaiah 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Yes. . . . As the Faithfull Creator who both wills. . ."Let there be" and does the good pleasure of God "and it was good".

He must do the first works . He propmised us in Philippians 1 :6 If he has begun the good work of salvation in us he will finish working with us till the end. We should believe with out murmuring or comparing oneself to oneself like those of the number. If your neighbor sins lovingly rebuke him .

The first works of Him working in us giving us his understanding is called the "hearing of faith"(his faith not of our own selves) . When we fall by denying that work .He calls us foolish (no god in ones heart) and because he cannot deny his own self that he has paid the wage of sin he call us to repent and return to our first love. . . . Hearing God and believing and requires that we do the first work. . . believe God.. . . . not seen

Galatians 3:1-5King James Version (KJV)O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

The revelation of His Love the gospel

Note. . (purple parenthesis ) my added comment

Revaltion 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. (hearing believing God) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;(hear beleive God) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Jan 12, 2019
Which Israel ? The faithful bride that God renamed Christians? Or the faithless Jew that come under the same eye as a unbelieving gentile. ?
Israel in Acts 2 and 3 is a nation, comprised of Jews.

We are not Israel.

Mar 28, 2016
Israel in Acts 2 and 3 is a nation, comprised of Jews.

We are not Israel.

Yes, he renamed His bride previously called Israel in Acts "Christian". Literally meaning residents of the heavenly city as His bride named after her founder and husband Christ. Israel would represent one nation. All of Israel is not born again Israel just as all who name Christian are not Christ .If any man has not the born again Spirit of Christ than neither do they belong to Christ.

Christian a more befitting name to represent the bride of Christ made up of all the nations of the world. God is not a respecter of the corrupted flesh of mankind. He is not served by human hands as a will.

Jan 12, 2019
Yes, he renamed His bride previously called Israel in Acts "Christian". Literally meaning residents of the heavenly city as His bride named after her founder and husband Christ. Israel would represent one nation. All of Israel is not born again Israel just as all who name Christian are not Christ .If any man has not the born again Spirit of Christ than neither do they belong to Christ.

Christian a more befitting name to represent the bride of Christ made up of all the nations of the world. God is not a respecter of the corrupted flesh of mankind. He is not served by human hands as a will.
I am not into replacement theology.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If a person changes his mind about Jesus and believes the Gospel this changes everything for him .
1cor 1.21
21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
changing ones mind isnt the same as BELIEVING.
you can change your mind twenty times about something.

Do you actually know any FEMALES? lol

When Peter asks how many times must he forgive someone who says he repents Jesus says seven times seventy. Hes not meaning you forgive someone who keeps changing their mind. You forgive someone who is SORRY and regrets what they did as it was wrong!

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
changing ones mind isnt the same as BELIEVING.
you can change your mind twenty times about something.

Do you actually know any FEMALES? lol

When Peter asks how many times must he forgive someone who says he repents Jesus says seven times seventy. Hes not meaning you forgive someone who keeps changing their mind. You forgive someone who is SORRY and regrets what they did as it was wrong!
isnt mat 18 about forgiveness ? I'm talking about repentance. Where we perhaps hold a set of propersitions and beliefs and we hear something else which challenges these thoughts, so we change our minds to that new set of propositions. We break frame from one to another . Repent like the analogy Jesus gives " He repented ( changed his mind ,then went .

Mar 28, 2016
I am not into replacement theology.

Neither am I. No such thing.

The bride Christian did not replace the bride Israel .God simply gave her a different name .More befitting to represent the bride of all nations. Christians literally meaning residents of the unseen city of Christ named after her founder and husband, Christ.

We understand or walk after the unseen eternal not after what the eyes se the temporal. That idea is for the pagan nations

Out of sight out of mind. No faith that comes from hearing God not seen..

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Jan 12, 2019

The bride Christian did not replace the bride Israel .God simply gave her a different name .More befitting to represent the bride of all nations. Christians literally meaning residents of the unseen city of Christ named after her founder and husband, Christ.

We understand or walk after the unseen eternal not after what the eyes se the temporal. That idea is for the pagan nations

Out of sight out of mind. No faith that comes from hearing God not seen..

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
If that is the case, then you should believe that Israel refers to the nation Israel. The Body of Christ is separate from Israel.

Mar 28, 2016
If that is the case, then you should believe that Israel refers to the nation Israel. The Body of Christ is separate from Israel.

According to the definition of the word Israel which . He who struggles with flesh and blood and having God with him overcomes . It refers to those born again. Those who have the Spirit of Christ. If any man has not the Spirit of Christ he does not belong or is not born again.

The word of God the gospel of our salvation simply has not taken effect in those who resist it.

Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

Same law of faith as below

Romans 2:28-29 King James Version (KJV) For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Christian is the new name God named her a more befitting name Christian residents of the Holy City named after her founder and husband Christ. to represent all the nations . Not one. God is the father of many nations

Isaiah 62 [Full Chapter]For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth. And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name. Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God. ...

Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. . . . .

(Christian not the old Israel, one nation ) Satan fell and is chained from having that kind of deception.(all the nations that he is the God of one) he will be loosed for a short period.

Revelation 20:3 King James Version (KJV) And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the "nations" no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Where is it written that God gave the name "Christian"? Acts 11:26 certainly doesn't say so.

Where is it written that the term "Christian" comes from "residents of the unseen city of Christ"?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
According to the definition of the word Israel which (. He who struggles with flesh and blood and having God with him overcomes . It) refers to those born again. Those who have the Spirit of Christ. If any man has not the Spirit of Christ he does not belong or is not born again.

Christian not the old Israel
You, sir, are deeply and thoroughly confused on this matter.

Sep 2, 2020
yeah me too . I like the distinction Jesus makes that its changing your mind . Turning away was separated . He repented ( changed his mind ) then went .
I agree with both of you. the indisputable facts about repentance are that you internalize a more Christ like mindset in regard to sin. If Jesus was to use a logo about sin it would most likely be don't do it. The don't do its are written in Galatians chapter 5, which clearly outlines who will not go to heaven. The other part of repentance is the outward sign, living a more Christian life? lifestyle. That would mean, if a person is a fornicator, stop fornicating, etc. Now, since so many sins are common place these days, as they were in the days of the Galations, it seems as if the sins are normal everyday things and not something many "Christians" aren't willing to give up in order to follow Christ. There are throngs of people who claim to be Christian and live the same sin filled lives they did before "becoming Christian". Nothing changed. Christ Jesus is not a get out of hell insurance policy. So, repentance is turning away from the sin and not doing it. The action is a result of the internalizing of Christ like values in the heart and mind.
These are simple truths. Not one of us is perfect, however, Christ is not to be mocked in that was. I am so very glad that God is the final judge with Christ by his side to input humanities side. Only He knows the true heart of anyone and all the circumstances concerning anyone and any matter.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
isnt mat 18 about forgiveness ? I'm talking about repentance. Where we perhaps hold a set of propersitions and beliefs and we hear something else which challenges these thoughts, so we change our minds to that new set of propositions. We break frame from one to another . Repent like the analogy Jesus gives " He repented ( changed his mind ,then went .
its about forgiving someone whos REPENTED

Maybe read it again. You seem fixated on changing your mind, but obviouly dont know anything about feeling sorry for what youve done, and having a change of HEART.

Do you have a heart?
sure you have a mind, but you would be a complete robot not to have a heart.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I agree with both of you. the indisputable facts about repentance are that you internalize a more Christ like mindset in regard to sin. If Jesus was to use a logo about sin it would most likely be don't do it. The don't do its are written in Galatians chapter 5, which clearly outlines who will not go to heaven. The other part of repentance is the outward sign, living a more Christian life? lifestyle. That would mean, if a person is a fornicator, stop fornicating, etc. Now, since so many sins are common place these days, as they were in the days of the Galations, it seems as if the sins are normal everyday things and not something many "Christians" aren't willing to give up in order to follow Christ. There are throngs of people who claim to be Christian and live the same sin filled lives they did before "becoming Christian". Nothing changed. Christ Jesus is not a get out of hell insurance policy. So, repentance is turning away from the sin and not doing it. The action is a result of the internalizing of Christ like values in the heart and mind.
These are simple truths. Not one of us is perfect, however, Christ is not to be mocked in that was. I am so very glad that God is the final judge with Christ by his side to input humanities side. Only He knows the true heart of anyone and all the circumstances concerning anyone and any matter.
Why would it be about sin . Didn't Jesus do something about sins ?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
its about forgiving someone whos REPENTED

Maybe read it again. You seem fixated on changing your mind, but obviouly dont know anything about feeling sorry for what youve done, and having a change of HEART.

Do you have a heart?
sure you have a mind, but you would be a complete robot not to have a heart.
My point is ' repentance ' is not even mentioned in Mathew 18 ?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jesus didnt REPENT on our behalf. He was SACRIFICED on our behalf. We need to do the repenting.

repenting isnt just recognising Jesus is the son of God. Because even the demons believe and tremble.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My point is ' repentance ' is not even mentioned in Mathew 18 ?
Read agAin! its mentioned 7 times seventy. EVERYTIME a brother offends us and says 'I repent' Jesus said Peter had to forgive him.

Do I need to spell it out for you???

I repent
I repent
I repent
I repent
I repent
I repent