What does 'Repent' mean ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
yes the end of our faith from the moment we first heard the gospel and believed God not seen. Our first love His working in us .Like Philippians 1:6 If he began the good work of his faith in us "salvation" He will finish the promise of faith

There is a different in how the word in and of is used . Even from one translation to another. Its one of the key words that can get turned upside down and loses the understanding of the Potter .

Of coming from Him towards us .In towards Him as a result of his faith working in us.

So yes in Christ who works in us. . . of Christ.

Galatians used both in the context of one work

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
I'm not sure this is what it is saying? ///
Like Philippians 1:6 If he began the good work of his faith in us "salvation" He will finish the promise of faith///

May 19, 2020
Romans 8:16

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

May 19, 2020
I'm not sure this is what it is saying? ///
Like Philippians 1:6 If he began the good work of his faith in us "salvation" He will finish the promise of faith///

What is finishing the promise of faith?

We walk in faith?...we step out in faith?....that’s how we learn and grow?......a leap of faith.....and oh boy it is at times....makes our faith stronger.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Umm, I would be expecting your next post to be the same. Prove with scripture and this will be great. God bless...
1 Peter 1:21-23

King James Version

21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
I am guessing that your emphasis is upon "seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit". Is that right?

I think it important to realise to whom Peter is addressing; It is "the elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification OF THE SPIRIT, unto obedience (of Jesus Christ) and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ. It also states in verse 3; According to God's abundant mercy HATH BEGOTTEN US (the elect) AGAIN UNTO A LIVELY HOPE BY THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST FROM THE DEAD, To an inheritance............

Is "the elect" all of mankind?

The obedience, in verse 22, in obeying the truth, is through the Holy Spirit that indwells them. They have already been born again with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Galatians 2:16

King James Version

16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I believe the KJV got it correct and there's no problem with this. We are save by the 'faith of' if 'we believed in Jesus Christ".
In your interpretation of Gal 2:16, you are adding "if we believeth in Jesus Christ", when it actually says; "EVEN WE ( the churches of Galatia) HAVE BELIEVED in Jesus Christ.

You are trying to imply that the natural man, before he has been born again, can discern the things of the Spirit, and 1 Cor 2:14 refutes that theory.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Hi Jackrosie, the quickening is the work of the Holy Spirit to those who believe in Christ...Any problem with that?
Yes, there is a Problem with that, pardon me, Jackrosie for butting in, But who is it that believes, and understands the spiritual doctrine of Jesus Christ? It is not the natural man, before he has been born again, as you are implying.

May 19, 2020
Yes, there is a Problem with that, pardon me, Jackrosie for butting in, But who is it that believes, and understands the spiritual doctrine of Jesus Christ? It is not the natural man, before he has been born again, as you are implying.

@ForestGreenCook ...Amen!...feel free to butt in,which you aren’t by the way...

You are far more knowledgeable in scripture than I.....but praise God,I understand what is being taught.

The word of God....my belief.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Jackrosie, additionally, we are also quicken by the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12

King James Version

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Yes the word of God is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the hearts of the born again spiritual person's heart, and also of the natural man's heart that has not yet been born again.

Mar 28, 2016
What is finishing the promise of faith?

We walk in faith?...we step out in faith?....that’s how we learn and grow?......a leap of faith.....and oh boy it is at times....makes our faith stronger.
Since faith is a work of God we understand it is Christ our teacher working in us to both will and do his good pleasure .If he has begun the good work of His faith or labor of love in us. He will finish it. Without him we can do nothing .He gives us the power to leap when we hear the gospel

The word leap is used that way throughout the bible in various parables Just as walking is used to indicate receiving the understanding from another. or feet to represent the washing of the word .(the gospel)

Those who have no faith that comes from hearing the gospel accredit the work to the temporal things seen the hands of corrupted mankind the apostles. This shows they did not receive the understanding of the gospel ,the eternal things of God not seen. No walking by faith no leaping for them

He gives us His faith the power to stand upright

And there they preached the gospel. And there sat a certain man at Lystra, impotent in his feet, being a cripple from his mother's womb, who never had walked:The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed, Said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet. And he leaped and walked. And when the people saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men. And they called Barnabas, Jupiter; and Paul, Mercurius, because he was the chief speaker. Then the priest of Jupiter, which was before their city, brought oxen and garlands unto the gates, and would have done sacrifice with the people. Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out, Acts 14:7-14

Below a picture in a parable used to represent the gospel. The kingdoms of this world (mountains and hills ) becoming the kingdoms of God on the last day

Song of Solomon 2:8 The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.

The new song believer sing having been washed with the water of the word, the gospel.

Isaiah 35:6 Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

Malichi 4:2 But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Jackrosie, without hearing the word you are not going to be born again.
Yes, and "only his sheep" hear his voice, and he knows them, and they follow him, and he gives unto them eternal life. John 10:27-28.

The natural man cannot hear his voice, because he cannot discern it.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Our spirit quikeneth by the words of Christ for they are spirit and they are life.

John 6:63

King James Version

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
And because that they are "spiritual words", the natural man cannot discern them, and thinks them to be foolishness.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I agree....but I don’t think @fredoheaven understands that a natural man is spiritually dead.
He doesen't. All of the false doctrine people, who believes that they have something to do with themselves being saved eternally will misinterpret the scriptures to give the natural man, who cannot discern the things of the Spirit, credit for being able to respond to the spiritual doctrine that Jesus taught. This evolves from their thinking that God loves all mankind, and wants to eternally save all mankind, by "staying his hand", in which Dan 4:35 refutes.

Another thing that throws their thinking Off, is that they cannot understand the significance of God changing Jacob's name to be called Israel, from that time forward. If you read "Israel" everytime to mean the nation of Israel, it will tend to teach that man has to do something to get eternal salvation. Jacob is representative of God's elect, Rom 9:11.

Also, they misinterpret the words; salvation, saved, & save. These words according to the Greek, mean "a deliverance", "delivered" & "deliver". Many of the scriptures that use these words are referring to a deliverance that the born again person experiences while they are sojourning here on earth. The misinterpretation of these words, also, contributes to their misunderstanding that they have to do some works to get eternal deliverance. The deliverances (salvations) that we receive here on earth are brought about by the regenerated person's good works.

Sorry, for the sermon, I hope that you can piece it together, if you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

Got to get ready for church.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
He doesen't. All of the false doctrine people, who believes that they have something to do with themselves being saved eternally will misinterpret the scriptures to give the natural man, who cannot discern the things of the Spirit, credit for being able to respond to the spiritual doctrine that Jesus taught. This evolves from their thinking that God loves all mankind, and wants to eternally save all mankind, by "staying his hand", in which Dan 4:35 refutes.

Another thing that throws their thinking Off, is that they cannot understand the significance of God changing Jacob's name to be called Israel, from that time forward. If you read "Israel" everytime to mean the nation of Israel, it will tend to teach that man has to do something to get eternal salvation. Jacob is representative of God's elect, Rom 9:11.

Also, they misinterpret the words; salvation, saved, & save. These words according to the Greek, mean "a deliverance", "delivered" & "deliver". Many of the scriptures that use these words are referring to a deliverance that the born again person experiences while they are sojourning here on earth. The misinterpretation of these words, also, contributes to their misunderstanding that they have to do some works to get eternal deliverance. The deliverances (salvations) that we receive here on earth are brought about by the regenerated person's good works.

Sorry, for the sermon, I hope that you can piece it together, if you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

Got to get ready for church.
Here is an overly simplified take on the Gospel.

1) One man hears the gospel. He says, “I hear and understand what you are saying, but I don’t believe it.

2) Another man hears the gospel. He says, “I hear and understand what you are saying, and I believe it.

Do you see any problems with this assertion?

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Here is an overly simplified take on the Gospel.

1) One man hears the gospel. He says, “I hear and understand what you are saying, but I don’t believe it.

2) Another man hears the gospel. He says, “I hear and understand what you are saying, and I believe it.

Do you see any problems with this assertion?
Yes I do. The natural man, before he has been born again, cannot hear and understand spiritual things, such as the gospel which is about spiritual things. 1 Cor 2:14.