What does to believe in/on Christ mean to you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
Being made free from sin, means we who believe in Christ are no longer bound to committing sin, if we so choose. Prior to believing in Christ, I was bound to continue in my carnal sins, despite my hating my sins and wishing to leave them. We therefore need to choose to not sin, thus overcoming our sins, so that the new spiritual creature may be acceptable to God.
It is impossible to fix the flesh with the flesh. Only the Holy Spirit can mortify the deeds of the flesh by grace through faith in Christ and Him Crucified. Romans 8:2,13.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
It is impossible to fix the flesh with the flesh. Only the Holy Spirit can mortify the deeds of the flesh by grace through faith in Christ and Him Crucified. Romans 8:2,13.
Yes, only God can mortify the deeds of the flesh, which He did by dying on the cross for those who believe in Him. Before I believed in Christ, I was unable to leave my sins, but now by believing Christ died so that I may have freedom from sinning, I can then leave and overcome my sins, if I so choose.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I also continue to have sins I need to overcome. And I also like yourself am contrite when I sin. The Lord looks favorably on those of us who are contrite in Spirit brother.

Psalm 34:18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Isaiah 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
Then if you understand make your post for the building of others not to tear them down. anyone can preach on sin and remind us of every failing but few are able to understand the trial and help heal and strenghten the ones who are going through this battle

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
Then if you understand make your post for the building of others not to tear them down. anyone can preach on sin and remind us of every failing but few are able to understand the trial and help heal and strenghten the ones who are going through this battle
I thought I was making my posts for the building up of others, by providing truth about the Word.
So long as you and I and others continue to be contrite about our sins, the Lord looks favorably on us and will save us from our sins, if we so choose to continue in leaving and overcoming our sins.

Psalm 34:18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It is not a difficult concept.

Not one Jot or tittle will fall from the law until ALL is fulfilled.

If even one jot or tittle HAS fallen from the law then ALL HAS BEEN FULFILLED.

Any questions?
Have you decided that you can use your reason and come up with that at this point in time, all of what Christ has for us has been fulfilled? I don't think there is anything to base a decision that a jot or title has fallen, if you have found it please share with us.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
We are all aware of the scriptures that to believe in/on Christ leads to salvation through Gods grace, so maybe we should have some views of what faith in Christ actually means. Once we attain an understanding of what faith in Christ truly represents, we will then also be able to ascertain a more accurate understanding of what Antichrist represents.
I thought tour post was going to conclude “ we may ascertain a more accurate understanding of salvation “ 😂

the ending really threw me off . But makes me think how good a perspective it actually is by defining what is true , whatever is anti that truth is the culprit

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
We are all aware of the scriptures that to believe in/on Christ leads to salvation through Gods grace, so maybe we should have some views of what faith in Christ actually means. Once we attain an understanding of what faith in Christ truly represents, we will then also be able to ascertain a more accurate understanding of what Antichrist represents.
I believe that it should be defined by whatever Christ taught . He is the one we should let define salvation and truth about God and no one else who tells us otherwise . He is the Christ , the lord after all some seem to believe he is no
More than a permanent sin sacrifice and scapegoat for sin , but that’s definitely fouled perspective .

To believe Jesus died and rose is part of the gospel to reject his word based on that is certain judgment We’re supposed to come to know Christ and we can’t if we reject what God sent him to teach believers

“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.”
‭‭John‬ ‭17:3‬ ‭

he came to give us that understanding of God the Father so we can know the truth

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We can’t reject Christ’s words and still believe many people explain how faith in the cross is the way forget the rest , but that isn’t how God will ever speak faith means you believe in him so if he explains something about salvation or God the father it’s true and will always be true it’s forever

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48-50‬ ‭

the cross is the sacrifice for sin the word of Christ is eternal life

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
I thought tour post was going to conclude “ we may ascertain a more accurate understanding of salvation “ 😂

the ending really threw me off . But makes me think how good a perspective it actually is by defining what is true , whatever is anti that truth is the culprit
Exactly, whatever is anti what Christ truly represents is the culprit.

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
I believe that it should be defined by whatever Christ taught . He is the one we should let define salvation and truth about God and no one else who tells us otherwise . He is the Christ , the lord after all some seem to believe he is no
More than a permanent sin sacrifice and scapegoat for sin , but that’s definitely fouled perspective .
All that Christ taught is what represents faith in Christ, which is salvation.
And yes, unfortunately there are many who see Christ only as a permanent sin sacrifice and scapegoat for sin. They do this because they have an incorrect definition and understanding of what Christ dying for our sins means.
Prior to accepting and believing in Christ, I was bound to my sins, unable to not commit sins, with my flesh being my master. After accepting and believing in Christ's action with His dying on the cross for my sins, I then was freed from my compulsory need to sin. And while it is still hard to not completely stop all my sinning, I must eventually overcome these sins if I wish to be acceptable to God.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
Faith is Believing IN GOD'S WORD THAT IT IS THE WORD OF GOD, AND KNOWING THAT IT IS THE WORD OF GOD. We should know and realize, THAT GOD HAS THE RIGHT TO tell us how we should live, What we can do and eat and Give up our will to HIS, And THAT IS TO GIVE UP ALL SINS, THAT GOD gives ME the KNOWLEDGE OF BY HIS COMMANDMENTS AND THE WORD OF GOD.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

THERE is a faith of the mouth, people say they believe But Don't do what GOD says Nor give up their sins, NOR obey WHAT HIS WORD says, NOR EVEN WANT TO GIVE UP THEIR SINS THAT YESUAH DIED FOR, AND HATES,
2 Peter 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; = {SINS}
2:13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, [as] they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots [they are] and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam [the son] of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
2:16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
{SIN IS NOT DOING WHAT HIS COMMANDMENTS SAYS } and that cannot cease from sin, THIS IS JUST THE MOUTH FAITH,

BUT there is A true FAITH, THAT CHANGES PEOPLE, FROM WHAT THEY WANT TO DO TOO, WHAT GOD WANTS THEM DO, TO WORK AND STUDY ON GETTING SINS OUT OF THEIR LIFES THROUGH WHAT GOD'S WORD SAYS AND HIS COMMANDMENTS SAY, AND TO TRY TO HELP OTHERS TO SEE THAT SIN IS STILL SIN, AND SIN WILL CAUSE THEM TO BE LOST, EVEN IF THEY SAY THEY ARE SAVED 100 TIMES A DAY FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFES, THAT Satan deceives in to believing that GOD will save them, without giving UP their SINS AND REPENTING
THE believing that wants and loves IS. Is the belief that OBEY.it is called A doing or believing FAITH, TO believe And not obey him, is the kind of faith or believing that Satan HAS, In fact it put people in A worse place with GOD then if they don't believe at all

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Yes are we under the law or are we under grace? The law does have it's joy but none have been able to fulfill the law except he who was perfect so tell me is his yoke heavy or is it light ?
We who are under Christ are no longer under the law but under Grace. Romans 6:14

The Lord tells us His Yoke is easy and His burden is light. Matthew 11:30

The apostles tell us the burden of the Law is a yoke neither we nor our fathers were able to bear. Acts 15:10

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Have you decided that you can use your reason and come up with that at this point in time, all of what Christ has for us has been fulfilled? I don't think there is anything to base a decision that a jot or title has fallen, if you have found it please share with us.
Do you have animals sacrificed to atone for your sin before God?

Let's say you don't. Let's say you trust that the Lord Jesus has fulfilled those jots and tittles by being the Lamb of God.

If some of those jots and tittles have fallen or changed then what does that say for the rest of the jots and tittles?

Hebrews 7:12-18
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Do you have animals sacrificed to atone for your sin before God?

Let's say you don't. Let's say you trust that the Lord Jesus has fulfilled those jots and tittles by being the Lamb of God.

If some of those jots and tittles have fallen or changed then what does that say for the rest of the jots and tittles?

Hebrews 7:12-18
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
What in the world does the fact that the Lord had people use animal blood as a shadow of the blood of Christ when they asked forgiveness of sin have to do with believing in the old testament as scripture from the Lord?

So the old testament used symbols of Christ and truth, it was a mystery to them revealed to us, have to do with the old testament as truth from God we can use for our instruction?

Do you really think it is of the lord to not believe in or use any of these scriptures? They show us Christ. They were a shadow of Christ and the learning we are to take from them is to understand Christ better through learning about the shadow.

Now you are speaking of using the shadows as the reality of Christ. If we learn of the roots of Christ, does that mean we should use the roots instead of Christ?

If you were studying a secular man, would you say it is wrong to learn of his childhood because he is now a man? When you scold about learning from the old testament it is saying that about God, only God is many, many times more important.

Sep 3, 2016
Yes, only God can mortify the deeds of the flesh, which He did by dying on the cross for those who believe in Him. Before I believed in Christ, I was unable to leave my sins, but now by believing Christ died so that I may have freedom from sinning, I can then leave and overcome my sins, if I so choose.
The process is only by grace through faith in Christ and His Finished Work at Calvary Cross where the victory was won. Jesus said, FEW ENTER THE NARROW WAY...99.9999% CHOOSE NOT TO ENTER. Mathew 7:14

Feb 28, 2016
if we believe in/on Jesus Christ, then we believe that the way He walked is our walk -
(right is right, wrong is wrong') any one questioning this Truth, is a 'knuckle-head'...

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
The process is only by grace through faith in Christ and His Finished Work at Calvary Cross where the victory was won. Jesus said, FEW ENTER THE NARROW WAY...99.9999% CHOOSE NOT TO ENTER. Mathew 7:14
If one believes in Christ and His Way, which is Spiritual, then one will repent of their sins and become acceptable to God.
If one, however, does not believe in the Spirit, but instead continues in the flesh indulging in sin, they then are not acceptable to God, and Gods grace which leads us Spiritually, will be of no effect in saving those who choose to live in the flesh.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I thought I was making my posts for the building up of others, by providing truth about the Word.
So long as you and I and others continue to be contrite about our sins, the Lord looks favorably on us and will save us from our sins, if we so choose to continue in leaving and overcoming our sins.

Jesus overcame sin for us we may stumble and fall and some have a greater weakness to certain sins than others but it isn't us who overcome our sins he already did, far to many believers struggle and are damaged because of the shackle of sin they are overcome with guilt and some even believe they will go to hell I know this because I have spoken with many

It is not for us to look at who we were when sin defined us before we came into his kingdom it is for us to look at who he created us in being born again only then can people free themselves of the chains they carry, many who carry these chains on themselves don't need to be reminded of their sins and to overcome them they need to be reminded who he says they are and what he says they are.

I don't believe in the gospel of sin I believe in the gospel of salvation

luigi

Dec 6, 2015
Jesus overcame sin for us we may stumble and fall and some have a greater weakness to certain sins than others but it isn't us who overcome our sins he already did, far to many believers struggle and are damaged because of the shackle of sin they are overcome with guilt and some even believe they will go to hell I know this because I have spoken with many

It is not for us to look at who we were when sin defined us before we came into his kingdom it is for us to look at who he created us in being born again only then can people free themselves of the chains they carry, many who carry these chains on themselves don't need to be reminded of their sins and to overcome them they need to be reminded who he says they are and what he says they are.

I don't believe in the gospel of sin I believe in the gospel of salvation
You see this is where there is a great divide between what some here believe. I and others view the Lord having died on the cross so that I will not have to sin. I am then free to accept this gift from Christ, or to reject this gift and continue on in the flesh. If I choose the latter, I am then not in the Spirit, and I will not be saved from the flesh which I choose to continue indulging in.
The other side of this are people like yourself who believe that Jesus overcame sin for us, and so now they don't have to worry about overcoming sin, because Jesus did it for them. They can continue to indulge in the flesh whenever they feel the urge, and that in the end, Jesus is going to say, "It's OK, you believed in me, and that's all that counts; come on up to heaven". That is not how it works, and that view is contrary to true faith in Christ and God who is Spirit.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
You see this is where there is a great divide between what some here believe. I and others view the Lord having died on the cross so that I will not have to sin. I am then free to accept this gift from Christ, or to reject this gift and continue on in the flesh. If I choose the latter, I am then not in the Spirit, and I will not be saved from the flesh which I choose to continue indulging in.
The other side of this are people like yourself who believe that Jesus overcame sin for us, and so now they don't have to worry about overcoming sin, because Jesus did it for them. They can continue to indulge in the flesh whenever they feel the urge, and that in the end, Jesus is going to say, "It's OK, you believed in me, and that's all that counts; come on up to heaven". That is not how it works, and that view is contrary to true faith in Christ and God who is Spirit.
Yes there is a great divide on this subject and for good reason, it is indeed a gift but is it a gift you have to keep working for to keep? If you give your kid a christmas present is that gift theirs to keep or will they have to keep working for it to keep it?

However you see there is a great misunderstanding about those who rest in his grace they do not see it as a free ticket to do as they please we all stumble and fall down and some hit the floor much harder than others but these also are the people who are all the more grateful for his grace and always strive to do better not because they have to to try to overcome the sin but because those who are that grateful for his sacrifice do so out of love and respect for him If a drug addict who was seen as a lost cause but found rest in him was born again and felt free from the shackles of his sin and who he was how grateful do you expect he will be for what Jesus did for him?

This is a perfect example of the people I am talking about, many are this addicted as the flesh naturally sins but they were saved and made into a new creation the problem is that they have those chains still because they see the old person they were they see the sin and want to overcome it but these chains are not for us to bear how far can you move forward carrying chains of your own doing when those chains were already removed for you?