What if repentance is not about feeling guilty, regretful or ashamed? How do you define repentance?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Why not call one of those guys you hold in such high esteem and ask them instead?

You have them, so why bother with anything the Holy Spirit has to say?

It appears you have only been exposed to very limited teachers who have nothing to offer in imparting wisdom and knowledge.
 
is that to mean you hear his voice in your mind telling you truths and guiding you?
He is actually speaking to you?
" To him the porter openeth; and the sheep HEAR HIS VOICE: and He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out." John 10:3. If you are His sheep you can hear His voice.
 
IMHO, the word repentance may have been misunderstood by Christians for generations. In English it sounds like guilt, regret, and endless apology. But the original Hebrew word is teshuva, derived from the verb shuv, meaning to return. Not to feel sorry. To physically turn around and move in a completely different direction. Our Understanding of this single word could reframe everything Jesus meant when He said repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For easy reference:
Matthew 4:17: "From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'"Mark 1:15: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel." Luke 13:3 & 13:5: "No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."Luke 5:32: "I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." Jesus taught that heaven celebrates when a person repents, comparing it to a lost item being found or a prodigal child returning home (Luke 15:7, 10).
Repentance begins in the heart and then turns to action. If we don’t feel the conviction that we’ve committed a wrong , it’s hard to truly change the action or confess it to begin with as sin.
things with god need to come from the individuals heart .

Repentance first in the heart leads to confession of sin and then change of action. It’s an individual process as all things are with god beginning in the heart when we receive the seeds of his word .

But truthfully if I don’t feel guilty for doing something , why would I ever change it ? We’re meant to feel and embrace guilt if we’ve wronged someone or crossed the lord some other way . It’s a good thing because it will lead us to repentance and reconciliation but if we ignore it and pretend sin is and we’ve done no wrong we’ll just keep doing it because our heart isn’t right.

“I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭5:32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭15:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

One thing sinners need to know to start is that god still loves them even at thier worst. So Jesus preached things like the parable of the prodigal son who does everything wrong but still his father is waiting

his heart is broken in sin and he remembers home so he then turns and heads home but his father is waiting for him so he sees him along ways from home and runs to meet him …..kisses and hugs and new clothes and a family ring all the time we’re waiting

lots of lessons on the gospel about repentance when we hear them and believe seeds become fruit .

I’d say true repentance begins in the heart but always leads to action without either aspect it’s not going to work out well
 
I agree. We have examples such as Cain, Essau and Judas Iscariot who regretted what they had done, but did not repent. Of Essau we read:

NKJV Heb 12:17 For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.
yes true but would anyone ever repent of they didn’t regret or feel guilt or at least acknowledge what they had done was wrong ? What would the motive for repentance be of not a greivance of the heart ?
 
" To him the porter openeth; and the sheep HEAR HIS VOICE: and He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out." John 10:3. If you are His sheep you can hear His voice.

John 10:3 has to do with the calling out of his sheep.

I heard His voice and got saved.
I have heard his inner voice on an occasional moment of divine guidance.

In what sense do you hear his voice?
For your every move?

An occasional moment?

And, my question was to Scooter Jackson who said he learned only directly from Jesus and not teachers.
Teachers whom God gives for our building up in knowledge of God's Word.

......
 
I don't see the Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit that way, but apparently some do.

Some people prefer the wisdom of men over the Wisdom of the Lord. That's too bad.

Really?
Who the heck are you to try to teach me then?

Are you the Lord? Holy Spirit? No!

Do you know how crazy it sounds to claim what you do?
And, you, as man, attempt to teach others?

If what you claimed were true?
I should not listen to you.

Scooter..... you need to take a crash course in Logic.
 
Some are reprobate and beyond reach.



I'm quoting what The Teacher (Jesus) said in His Word to point them to the Lord.

They can do with that what they want. In the end it matters not to me because I'm not responsible for what others do

No sir...
Do not try to worm your way out of what you have been claiming.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

You being a man, should not be teaching me.
For I have Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

See how stupid that sounds?
 
John 10:3 has to do with the calling out of his sheep.

I heard His voice and got saved.
I have heard his inner voice on an occasional moment of divine guidance.

In what sense do you hear his voice?
For your every move?

An occasional moment?

And, my question was to Scooter Jackson who said he learned only directly from Jesus and not teachers.
Teachers whom God gives for our building up in knowledge of God's Word.

......
The inner voice I hear is my own. There is no Charlton Heston voice as God or Snidely Whiplash voice as Satan I hear. I can only recognize His voice, through mine, by the Word. There have been occasions where I have missed it, but, I believe, God knows that I thought it was Him and sends a course correct. No man, except, of course, Jesus, hears Him perfectly.
 
Are you a space alien?

No, I'm a new creature in Christ Jesus so I'm a Heaven alien temporarily residing on earth amongst all these freaky Karen people such as yourself.

Before long the Lord is going to beam me up and you'll be all on your own down here.
 
No, I'm a new creature in Christ Jesus so I'm a Heaven alien temporarily residing on earth amongst all these freaky Karen people such as yourself.

Before long the Lord is going to beam me up and you'll be all on your own down here.
Scooter?

Are you the only believer here?