What if you die before water baptism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Man this is confusement.

Do we rinse the dishes before we wash them or after? Or do we just give them a wet wipe or a good shake and think ahh close enough.
It's nothing but "Theology", which is like noses - everybody's got one.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
Chuckle!!! HEY!! I'm covered anyway!! Since my father was Italian, and a generational Roman Catholic, naturally I was baptized as an INFANT (got the pictures to prove it!!!! I was a beautiful baby!!), and later (1963) when I REALLY was Born Again, and became a Christian (on a Wednesday night), then the following Sunday I was dunked in the tank at Greenwood Baptist church. and nothing changed (except my clothes, since they were wet).

I wasn't any MORE SAVED on Sunday, than I was the previous Wednesday. I did, however, feel that I'd been obedient to my understanding of the Biblical ordinance to be Baptized, so I was.

Obviously we baptized NONE of our Kids, but did "Dedicate them to God" (a standard Protestant ceremonial practice).
Glad to hear you didn't baptize your kids. Babies are not believers, yet.

Since you believe you only got wet, from your understanding, what is the purpose of water baptism? Please provide the scriptures you use to support this.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Glad to hear you didn't baptize your kids. Babies are not believers, yet.

Since you believe you only got wet, from your understanding, what is the purpose of water baptism? Please provide the scriptures you use to support this.
Eph 2:8,9 covers it nicely. If Salvation IS BY FAITH, then Baptism has nothing to do with it. I see no reason to assume that Baptism is anything other than a testimonial. why would you thionk getting wet, would have any spiritual significance.

THE REAL PROBLEM COMES IN when people who are Baptized falsely believe that it "Saves them", and don't find out until they're in HELL that the church LIED TO THEM about it.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
Eph 2:8,9 covers it nicely. If Salvation IS BY FAITH, then Baptism has nothing to do with it. I see no reason to assume that Baptism is anything other than a testimonial. why would you thionk getting wet, would have any spiritual significance.

THE REAL PROBLEM COMES IN when people who are Baptized falsely believe that it "Saves them", and don't find out until they're in HELL that the church LIED TO THEM about it.
I find it interesting that your understanding of what baptism accomplishes comes from a passage that has nothing to do with baptism. I'm sorry but God has seen fit to give us a lot of information about baptism. Why not use that information to understand what is the purpose of baptism?

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
you will still be saved if you have faith in our Lord Jesus' death burial and resurrection for your sins, but did not get water baptized. I dont know why this thread has gone on for 20 pages?

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
I find it interesting that your understanding of what baptism accomplishes comes from a passage that has nothing to do with baptism. I'm sorry but God has seen fit to give us a lot of information about baptism. Why not use that information to understand what is the purpose of baptism?
So go ahead and Baptize people and LIE TO THEM about what it does, if you don't know anymore about salvation that that.

I"m perfectly fine with being Baptized AFTER being Born Again, and indwelled by the Holy SPirit - in fact I was. it's O.K. to have your little ceremony, since the SPIRITUAL work is already done.

But teaching being Baptized WITHOUT Being Born again FIRST is a fatal dis-service to people, who may believe that they're O.K., when in fact, they're still DEAD in SIN. Baptism does NOTHING the remedy that situation.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
So go ahead and Baptize people and LIE TO THEM about what it does, if you don't know anymore about salvation that that.

I"m perfectly fine with being Baptized AFTER being Born Again, and indwelled by the Holy SPirit - in fact I was. it's O.K. to have your little ceremony, since the SPIRITUAL work is already done.

But teaching being Baptized WITHOUT Being Born again FIRST is a fatal dis-service to people, who may believe that they're O.K., when in fact, they're still DEAD in SIN. Baptism does NOTHING the remedy that situation.
To be born again takes water and the Spirit. Jesus Himself said so.
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

After Jesus's sacrifice, that is exactly what we see.
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized(water) every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Himself puts baptism before salvation.
Whoever believes (past tense) and is baptized (past tense) will be saved (future tense),

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
To be born again takes water and the Spirit. Jesus Himself said so.
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

But if you pay any attenton at all to the context, it's obvious that the "Water" refers to "Natural birth", and the "Spirit" refers to the Born Again experience.

I'm well aware that "Baptismal Regenerationists", try to put "Water Baptism" everywhere, even when it doesn't belong.

SO spread your "Theology" and I'll oppose it.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
But if you pay any attenton at all to the context, it's obvious that the "Water" refers to "Natural birth", and the "Spirit" refers to the Born Again experience.

I'm well aware that "Baptismal Regenerationists", try to put "Water Baptism" everywhere, even when it doesn't belong.

I'm not sure that it does.

The passage say unless a man be born of water and spirit he can not enter the kingdom.

If a man was naturally born of water, there would be no reason for Jesus to say this, unless you be born of water.

Since every one has the chance to be saved then all are born naturally, of what you call water that is.

There for the water Jesus must be talking about, must be different.

My belief is all tho you may not agree,

I believe jesus is refering to living water.

But where is that living water, is it in the washing of sins, is it in the forgiveness of sins.

Does the living water come first and then the spirit.

Do some receive the living water, but not the spirit.

Does the living water come from water baptism.

So anyhow, a lot of questions, but also ideas, I know, but with God the list of possibilities are endless.

I would say it probably best to hold water baptism as a sacred act, that leads to being born of living water.

And I would stick to those guns just in case.

As Jesus said go out and baptise.

But you don't have to stick to theese guns,

but I will because the gun of guns, the son of a gun, says his gun can smoke me to heaven or hell.

so I go with honouring his water baptism 😊

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I'm not sure that it does.

The passage say unless a man be born of water and spirit he can not enter the kingdom.

If a man was naturally born of water, there would be no reason for Jesus to say this, unless you be born of water.

Since every one has the chance to be saved then all are born naturally, of what you call water that is.

There for the water Jesus must be talking about, must be different.

My belief is all tho you may not agree,

I believe jesus is refering to living water.

But where is that living water, is it in the washing of sins, is it in the forgiveness of sins.

Does the living water come first and then the spirit.

Do some receive the living water, but not the spirit.

Does the living water come from water baptism.

So anyhow, a lot of questions, but also ideas, I know, but with God the list of possibilities are endless.

I would say it probably best to hold water baptism as a sacred act, that leads to being born of living water.

And I would stick to those guns just in case.

As Jesus said go out and baptise.

But you don't have to stick to theese guns,

but I will because the gun of guns, the son of a gun, says his gun can smoke me to heaven or hell.

so I go with honouring his water baptism 😊
well we all have are own judgement seat 😋

And my judgement seat has placed the ball in your court many times more than John MCenroe.

But you keep saying that ball was out,

But I say it was in 😂

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018

For context...

In John 3:5, Jesus said UNLESS a person is born of water and Spirit they cannot enter the kingdom of God. It is illogical to suggest water was a reference to natural birth. There would be no need to tell people they MUST be born in order to be born again of the Spirit.

Furthermore, scripture reveals the truth. It is no accident that every detailed conversion account includes both water and Spirit. The individuals received the presence of the Holy Spirit and submitted to being baptized in water. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
The individuals received the presence of the Holy Spirit and submitted to being baptized in water. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)
Chuckle - so you'd better not be born again in the desert, and the repentant thief apparently had a major problem (Yeah, I know, he was a "Special case") -

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
That's fine, believe what you want. I think it refers to natural birth, and you've provided no reason for me to reconsider.

What IMPORTANT is FAITH in Jesus' sacrifice to cleanse you from SIN.
honestly brother, water baptism is a holy sacrament come on bro, this one should not be given the hump

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
honestly brother, water baptism is a holy sacrament come on bro, this one should not be given the hump
There are no "Sacraments". They're "just another" phony Roman Catholic invention to keep their sheep in line.

BUT HEY!!! the largest Assembly of God church in our area held a "Splash party", and baptized just over 150 people in morning service. we'll have a Baptism at our place for new converts next week.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
There are no "Sacraments". They're "just another" phony Roman Catholic invention to keep their sheep in line.

BUT HEY!!! the largest Assembly of God church in our area held a "Splash party", and baptized just over 150 people in morning service. we'll have a Baptism at our place for new converts next week.
nope the Sacraments are a part of the protestant churches too.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023

Is this the "water" of "natural birth"?
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.