What is a fake Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sarahmay

Jun 10, 2019
Hey guys this is a question I've recently started to ask myself

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
The most likely answer you will receive are holier than thou self righteous answers,

and back and forth condemnations

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It sounds like your question comes from some real-life experience. Perhaps if you shared some of the context, you'll get better responses. :)

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone who isn't saved and claims to be a Christian-is a fake Christian.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Well here is one way you can spot them. Just read what Jesus said at Matthew 7:15-23 and notice at vs23 the four words, " I never knew you." :eek:

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
See my thread below about wolves.

Thats what they are called. Also in the Bible they can be called tares or goats.
The christians are the wheat and sheep. This is figurative language.

Dec 12, 2013
Christian = Christ like.......many are believers.....far less are actually Christian......and to be fair.....maybe at times we are all Christian and most of the time just believers..........!!

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Revelation 3:14‭-‬16 KJV

They are so fake that God will spit them out of His mouth.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Anyone who isn't saved and claims to be a Christian-is a fake Christian.
Very well said, and very succinctly. That response should be the end of this discussion.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Looks genuine on the outside but is hollow on the insie. IOW a tare...one who is not born again.

Anyone born again is a genuine Christian even though they look like a '58 Edsel on the outside. lol

58es.jpg

Dec 9, 2011
From the thread what Is a fake christian
Only GOD can make that call since It’s the heart that GOD looks at and no one except GOD can see the heart.Man looks at the outer appearances,so then men can only judge the appearance which would not be In TRUTH.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
There is only one way to become a Christian. All other ways lead to false Christians and they are simply pretending to be something they are not.

Those who claim to be Christians but have never forsaken their sin. These have not been truthful with Christ. They must think they can fool the Lord Jesus because they know they are holding back and not believing that He can save them.

Those who have not had the experience that Jesus spoke of in John 16:8-11 have unfinished business with Christ. Jesus will not turn any away that seek salvation but they must come at the leading of the Holy Spirit. We do not decide to get saved but God calls us to be saved.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
A person who claims they are a follower of Jesus but do not believe the teachings of Jesus nor do they trust 100% in the atonement Jesus secured for their justification unto Eternal salvation..

Fake Christians usually reject some of the teachings of Jesus and mix in their own Works into the salvation equation.. They believe in Works + Grace = salvation to varying degrees.. Some even believe in 100% Works salvation..

Sarahmay

Jun 10, 2019
It sounds like your question comes from some real-life experience. Perhaps if you shared some of the context, you'll get better responses. :)
Yes not me but someone I know for many years everyday the call prayer lines too

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Is there such a thing as a fake Christian?
Either someone is a genuine beliver or not.
God will judge on the last day.

There are genuine believers who struggle in their walk that many would consider fake.
But they struggle, may have addiction.
They want help and release.
If they do so then we must come alongside.
I was accused of not being a Christian because of my gambling addiction but they looked at the actions rather than try to understand why.

The difference for me is that for 30 years plus I sought God every day for help.

To me the difference is that if we knew someone who gambled like I did but had no desire to change and used Gods grace as a license to sin, then after correcting them per what Paul teaches then we can question whether they are truly saved or not.

I never gambled as an excuse to use Gods grace and just say "That's ok God will forgive me"

I hated it.
Thank God he set me free. But at the right time. He needed to heal an awful lot of stuff in my life first. His timing is perfect.

Where the true gospel is preached then there can be no disction.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Yes not me but someone I know for many years everyday the call prayer lines too
Fake Christian or just one who needs to be discipled from the bible. Babes in Christ must be fed the word of God to grow. Those who do not feast on the word of God never grow past the infant stage. Many are in this category.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I would think that someone who calls prayer lines every day needs help and a real breakthrough from unbelief. And is seeking.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I would think that someone who calls prayer lines every day needs help and a real breakthrough from unbelief. And is seeking.
I agree.

I think I would also say they maybe they do because it's annonymos.

Probably no condemnation, which they may have had if seeking prayer in their local church, or too ashamed of their struggles to open up.

Either way it's a sad indictment of the local church.

The church needs to be a safe place for those who genuinely seek help.
It's not a museum for the saints but a hospital for the wounded.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Fake Christian or just one who needs to be discipled from the bible. Babes in Christ must be fed the word of God to grow. Those who do not feast on the word of God never grow past the infant stage. Many are in this category.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I like what you say.
Discipleship is the key and the key is the word of God.
Further it's our love and acceptance and patience to walk with them.
If one wants to grow, great let's walk the walk for as long as it takes.
Even if at times they slink back they will come back.

If one does not then I would say let it go.