What is a Judaizer?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 30, 2019
Hi all, I have heard this term (JUDAIZER) used alot here on the forums. From historical records it seems that the Catholic Church used this term a lot in persecution of believers from the times of the reformation but I have never seen this term used in the scriptures or any place in God's Word. I do have my own thoughts but wanted to ask you all what does a Judizer mean in your understanding of the word in the way you may use this term here at CC?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hope this can be a friendly chat with the scriptures :love:

Blessings to you

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Hi all, I have heard this term (JUDAIZER) used alot here on the forums. From historical records it seems that the Catholic Church used this term a lot in persecution of believers from the times of the reformation but I have never seen this term used in the scriptures or any place in God's Word. I do have my own thoughts but wanted to ask you all what does a Judizer mean in your understanding of the word in the way you may use this term here at CC?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hope this can be a friendly chat with the scriptures :love:

Blessings to you

"I do have my own thoughts but..."

If you have your own thoughts on this already,
why don't you start by sharing them.

Dec 12, 2013
Right to the root and it is false....

Judaizers are Christians (SO CALLED) who teach it is necessary to adopt Jewish customs and practices, especially those found in the Law of Moses, to be saved.

Sep 3, 2016
What is a Judaizer? Those (unsaved) who follow me around, and believe you must leave the Blood Atonement of Jesus Christ, i.e., the Cross!

The truth is, “He blotted out the handwriting of Ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His Cross; and having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it” (Col. 2:14-15). The words, “Nailing it to His Cross . . . triumphing over them in it” means that Jesus’ great victory was won on the Cross, and on the Cross exclusively.

JSM

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Hi all, I have heard this term (JUDAIZER) used alot here on the forums.............

.............I do have my own thoughts but wanted to ask you all what does a Judizer mean in your understanding of the word in the way you may use this term here at CC? Blessings to you
If your desire is to learn more about Judaizers you've come to right forum. Here you'll have the opportunity to interact with many of them.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What is a Judaizer? Those (unsaved) who follow me around, and believe you must leave the Blood Atonement of Jesus Christ, i.e., the Cross!

The truth is, “He blotted out the handwriting of Ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His Cross; and having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it” (Col. 2:14-15). The words, “Nailing it to His Cross . . . triumphing over them in it” means that Jesus’ great victory was won on the Cross, and on the Cross exclusively.

JSM
FYI, 3rdAngel, the post quoted above has nothing at all to do with your question. Feel free to ignore it as irrelevant.

Sep 3, 2016
I have made my point. They are enemies of the Cross; their end is destruction!

Mar 28, 2016

Blessings to you
The focus is on how the phrase; law of the fathers (multiple) is used

Catholicism is a branch of Pharisees along with Sadaucesss. Two sects that put aside there difference as a law of the fathers . Oral traditions of men as commandments of unconverted men that walk by sight as if the kingdom of God did come by observation rather than a faith that comes by hearing God exclusively as in all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura)

Catholicism continued a law of the father just as used with the Pharisees with Sadaucesss denominations. a Different father used to establish their false seal for God. We know they were walking by sight because the High priest offered in writing a special promise to kill the misperceived competition as in out of sight out of mind

Because they had no faith coming from all things written in the law and the prophets they persecuted the belivers. When saukl joined the Nazarene sect they were after his flesh and bones. . . thinking killing the messenger kills the message. When they tried to prove sola scriptura was heresy and their law was law they could not. Rather than serving a law of the fathers directed to our father in heaven founded on the flesh of Abraham passed down from one generation to the next venerating a form of worship Paul worship the God of our fathers . Not the fathers as God.

The law of the fathers

Acts 22 King James Version (KJV) Men, brethren, and fathers, hear ye my defence which I make now unto you. (And when they heard that he spake in the Hebrew tongue to them, they kept the more silence: and he saith,) am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women. As also the high priest doth bear me witness, and all the estate of the elders: from whom also I received letters unto the brethren, and went to Damascus, to bring them which were there bound unto Jerusalem, for to be punished.

They followed after another written law , the oral traditions of men. . . again a law of the fathers

The Law of our Father (one)

For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes: Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law. Acts 24 :5-6

Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me. But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:Acts 24:13 -14

They worshipped the fathers as if they were in the place of God the unthinkable..having fathers in replacement with our Father in heaven rather than serving our father in heaven they served the fathers of lies on earth .a murderer from the begining working through a law of the fathers

Matthew 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Or And think not to say within yourselves, We have Peter to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Peter . lively stones that make up the spiritual unsen house, the church

Its the same spirit of Judizers today. No faith coming from all things written in the law and the prophets... the nemesis .

Jun 30, 2019
"I do have my own thoughts but..."

If you have your own thoughts on this already,
why don't you start by sharing them.

Hi Max thanks very much for your post. My thoughts are presente in the OP I guess. I am interested what others think the term means and why they use it.

God bless

Jun 30, 2019
Right to the root and it is false....

Judaizers are Christians (SO CALLED) who teach it is necessary to adopt Jewish customs and practices, especially those found in the Law of Moses, to be saved.
Hi their Dc, what kind of Jewish customs are we talking about? For me this is an interesting discussion to see why others use this term.

Thankyou.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
but I have never seen this term used in the scriptures or any place in God's Word.
The term used in Scripture is "false brethren" (Gal 2:4).

And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage.

If you wish to have a proper understand of Judaizers, please study Paul's epistle to the Galatians. Sabbatarians are an offshoot of this group also.

Jun 30, 2019

JSM
Hi JSM, thanks. So in you believe that a Judaizer is someone that does not believe in the blood atonement of Jesus? What do you believe was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? Thankyou it is interesting to see what others believe.

Blessings

Jun 30, 2019
@ everyone have to catch up latter as I need to get some work done. This is very interesting to see how everyone views this name.

Back soon thanks for sharing :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
A Judaizer taught that, in order for a Christian to truly be right with God, he must conform to the Mosaic Law. Circumcision, especially, was promoted as necessary for salvation. Gentiles had to become Jewish proselytes first, and then they could come to Christ. The doctrine of the Judaizers was a mixture of grace (through Christ) and works (through the keeping of the Law). This false doctrine was dealt with in Acts 15 and strongly condemned in the book of Galatians. More here.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018

Blessings to you
From a dictionary I sometimes use:
JUDAIZING. In the ancient sources, the noun “Judaizer” and the verb “to Judaize” refer primarily to the actions of gentiles. While the verb can be used to designate the forced conversion of gentiles to Judaism, it normally refers to the taking over of Jewish customs by gentiles without conversion. Gaston argues that those who encourage others “to Judaize” may be either Jews, Christian Jews, or Gentiles and for the sake of terminological precision should never be referred to specifically as “Judaizers”(1986: 35–36).

The Greek verb “to Judaize” is found only in the NT in Gal 2:14. In this text, Paul confronts Cephas: “If you, though a Jew, live as a Gentile and not as a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live as Jews?” The clear implication is that gentiles are being compelled to live according to Jewish customs. Moreover, Paul argues in Galatians that for gentiles to be required to assume the obligations of the Mosaic law threatens the integrity of the gospel. At issue for Paul is the manner in which gentiles lay claim to righteousness. The controversy in Galatians is not with Judaism as such but with those who argue that the gentiles must be circumcised and assume the obligations of the Mosaic law (Sandmel 1979: 112; see also Betz Galatians Hermeneia).

Outside of the NT, Esther 8:17 (LXX) recounts that many gentiles declared themselves to be Jews because they feared the Jews. Plutarch (Cic. 7:6) also states that a freed slave named Caecilius was said to be given to Jewish practices. Josephus tells of a certain Metilus who spared his life by promising to become a Jew, even to the point of circumcision (JW 2.17.10). He also writes of a time in Syria when the Syrians thought “they had rid themselves of the Jews, still each city had its Judaizers, who aroused suspicion”(JW 2.18.2). Ignatius denounces those who are Christians and yet live according to Judaism (Magn. 8:1). In their case, they have not received grace. Moreover, according to Ignatius, it is “monstrous” to speak of Christ and to practice Judaism (Magn. 10:3). What Ignatius means by the term “Judaism” is a matter of debate (Gaston 1986: 36–38), but that there is some connection between the condemned practice and Judaism is evident. In the Acts of Pilate 2:1, we read that Pilate’s wife feared God and favored the customs of the Jews. Finally, in Canon 29 of the Council of Laodicea, those who “Judaize” are strongly condemned (Mansi 1759: cols. 563–604, Canon 29).

These sources indicate that either because of fear or genuine attraction there were those who embraced Jewish practices. This also suggestes that Judaism was a dynamic religious phenomenon. Moreover, the authors of these writings were apparently compelled to acknowledge the tendency “to Judaize.” The respective authors’ motives in mentioning “Judaizers” may not always be evident, but that does not refute the clear indication that there were non-Jews who embraced Jewish customs.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hi JSM, thanks. So in you believe that a Judaizer is someone that does not believe in the blood atonement of Jesus? What do you believe was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? Thankyou it is interesting to see what others believe.

Blessings
FYI... MessageOfTheCross puts "JSM" at the end of many of his posts because he is usually quoting from Jimmy Swaggart Ministries.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019

Blessings to you
A number of members believe anyone who believes in working faith is a judaizer, which in their view is any form
of righteousness put as an essential of faith.

The term Paul means it, is people who insist we have to be Jews first and christians second.
No protestants would be judaizers, but some love insulting phrases that wind up their opponents, who they
begin to hate and loath, everything they write or share, good or bad. This is ironic as part of our faith is
loving all and understanding the origins of peoples positions.

But those you use such labels are attempting to dehumanise others and make them appear evil just by their
presence and not their positions alone. And unless it is pointed out and exposed for what it is, it creates this
atmosphere. I would say such terms have no place on these forums especially not considering who is being
claimed to be a judaizer and what the actual argument is.

The core of the argument is lawlessness verses the law of Christ and walking in obedience to Jesus.
So to understand the interplay one has to understand the players and the tactics.

You may suggest this is not christian behaviour, and I would agree, as it is not truthful, honest or loving.
But then assumptions about where people are easy to make, but by their fruit you will know them.
God bless you

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Blessings to you
To me the term judaizer means a person who seeks to cause people to lose faith in the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ and to cause the same to believe eternity with God is attained by doing the LAW.. They seek to move people so they are not under grace but under the bondage of the LAW..

I never use the Word judaizer myself.. I simply use the description ""Works salvation believer"" We have a few of them in this forum..

Mar 28, 2016
To me the term judaizer means a person who seeks to cause people to lose faith in the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ and to cause the same to believe eternity with God is attained by doing the LAW.. They seek to move people so they are not under grace but under the bondage of the LAW..

I never use the Word judaizer myself.. I simply use the description ""Works salvation believer"" We have a few of them in this forum..
I would offer its not so much they are trying to get other to loses faith .They have none that alone comes from hearing God (all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura) Their what they call faith (walking by sight) is based on what the eyes see. Just as in the fall of mankind law of the fathers (plural ) after the father of lies... Not the law of our one father in heaven . It their false zeal for knowing God it simply makes the word of God without effect .

No man can serve two teaching masters in that way. Its either the things of men seen,( fathers) the temporal. Or the things of God our one father not seen the eternal. No limbo . or Mr. in between

There is a fork in the road. Which master will we serve? left or right? Up inspired from heaven or down earthly inspired of the devil?.