What is a watchman?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Ezekiel 33:1-20 (KJV)
1 Again the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
2 Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: 3 If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people;
4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.
5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.
6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
7 So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.
8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
9 Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.
10 Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live?
11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
14 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
15 If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.
17 Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal. 18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.
19 But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby. 20 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. O ye house of Israel, I will judge you every one after his ways.

So this passage has many divided as to what is fair or equal? The house of Israel was questioning God on the grounds of being equal. The righteous to perish along with the wicked for transgression was unfair to them, many still have the same debate today as to who will be saved in the day of judgement. But my question is to the watchman. The passage said the watchman was required to warn the people of Gods wrath. And if the watchman failed to warn the person that persons blood would be on the watchmans hands. But if he warned the person and the person did not heed the warning the watchmans soul was free from their blood.

So my question is who is a watchman and what are a watchmans duties and responsibilities? What are a watchmans atributes?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I think that it's a guy who fixes watches, but with virtually disposable watches these days and digital ones there probably not much of a demand for his services.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
A watchman is someone who reads her bible outside sitting in her doorstep until everyone falls asleep.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
I think that it's a guy who fixes watches, but with virtually disposable watches these days and digital ones there probably not much of a demand for his services.
Since you want to be cute.. this is for you:

Working with a magnifying glass and tweezers, Swiss watchmaker Phillipe meticulously explained to me how he takes apart, cleans, and reassembles the tiny parts of specialty mechanical watches. Looking at all the intricate pieces, Phillipe showed me the essential component of the timepiece, the mainspring. The mainspring is the component that moves all the gears to allow the watch to keep time. Without it, even the most expertly designed watch will not function. In a beautiful New Testament passage found in the book of Hebrews, the writer eloquently praises Jesus for being the one through whom God created the heavens and the earth. Like the intricacy of a specialty watch, every detail of our universe was created by Jesus (Hebrews 1:2). From the vastness of the solar system to the uniqueness of our fingerprints, all things were made by Him. But more than the Creator, Jesus, like a clock’s mainspring, is essential for the function and flourishing of creation. His presence continually “[sustains] all things by his powerful word” (v. 3), keeping all that He has created working together in all its amazing complexity. As you have opportunity to experience the beauty of creation today, remember that “in him all things hold together” (Colossians 1:17). May the recognition of Jesus’s central role in both creating and sustaining the universe result in a joyful heart and a response of praise as we acknowledge His ongoing provision for us.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
God raises up whomever He chooses and gives them spiritual eyesight to see trouble coming from a far off - they are to warn the people and earnestly pray for God to intervene and save His people.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
A watchman is a trustworthy and loyal servant who oversees the well being of his/her charge, (client) their property or a community and oft times remain alert so others can rest. Often with military, police, fire fighting and or emergency medical skills.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
A watchman is a trustworthy and loyal servant who oversees the well being of his/her charge, (client) their property or a community and oft times remain alert so others can rest. Often with military, police, fire fighting and or emergency medical skills.
So a shepherd?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Jesus is a Watchman
Laban said, “This heap is a witness between you and me today.” That is why it was called Galeed.
It was also called Mizpah, because he said, “May the LORD keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other."
(Genesis 31:48-49)
Galeed means 'heap of witness' and Mizpah means 'watchtower' ;)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Someone who only watches TV is a bad watchman because they just watch the bad news on TV and then dont do anything about it.

Apr 15, 2017
It is explained in the text that if Israel is rebellious for a time, God would allow a nation to come upon them for their rebelliousness, but He also would give them a chance to flee, and escape punishment, if they put a watchman that was up high enough to see if anybody was coming in the distance, then if people were coming to war if the watchman blew the trumpet whoever took heed to it, and fled was spared, but whoever did not take heed to it their life was taken, and they had no help from God because He was allowing it to happen.

If the watchman blew the trumpet then he was not responsible for the death of anybody, but if he did not blow the trumpet whoever died they died in their iniquity, but the blood of them was on the watchman, and he was responsible for their death, and that sin was on him.

1Co 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

Jud 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
Jud 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

If we do not preach the Gospel, and warn people to turn to God, then we would be like the watchman, and should warn them.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There are three orders of angels with different characteristics and different duties. Cherubin or archangels, seraphin, and teraphim. The teraphim can take on human form and they are our watchmen and sent to us for protection of our souls.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Laban said, “This heap is a witness between you and me today.” That is why it was called Galeed.
It was also called Mizpah, because he said, “May the LORD keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other."
(Genesis 31:48-49)
Galeed means 'heap of witness' and Mizpah means 'watchtower' ;)
I think you hit on truth. Wasn't it those who kept guard duty on the wall around Israel? But, spiritually I would say the prophets.