What is Holy Communion?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 16, 2021
Matthew 26:26-28
New International Version
26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
Mark 14:22 While they were eating, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is my body.” 23 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many.
Luke 22:14-23
New American Bible (Revised Edition)
14 When the hour came, he took his place at table with the apostles. 15 He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, 16 for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” 17 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, “Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” 19 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.
1 Corinthians 11:23-25
23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, 24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

From these passages we learn:
Jesus instituted this Supper for believers to eat and drink often.
Jesus gives those who commune His body and blood in, with and under the bread and wine.
Jesus gives the very price of redemption, his body and blood, so the recipient receives the victories He won-- forgiveness of sins and heaven.
Jesus invites to to do this often to remember what He did for us. This helps us to value His sacrifice and benefits. It encourages us to know Christ is with us in our Christian life.

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
Matthew 26:26-28
New International Version
26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
Mark 14:22 While they were eating, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is my body.” 23 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many.
Luke 22:14-23
14 When the hour came, he took his place at table with the apostles. 15 He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, 16 for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” 17 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and said, “Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I tell you [that] from this time on I shall not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” 19 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.
1 Corinthians 11:23-25
23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, 24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

From these passages we learn:
Jesus instituted this Supper for believers to eat and drink often.
Jesus gives those who commune His body and blood in, with and under the bread and wine.
Jesus gives the very price of redemption, his body and blood, so the recipient receives the victories He won-- forgiveness of sins and heaven.
Jesus invites to to do this often to remember what He did for us. This helps us to value His sacrifice and benefits. It encourages us to know Christ is with us in our Christian life.
Indeed.
I like how you quoted Luther as well. "In, with, and under".

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Holy Communion is the reality that, in Christ, believers are joined to the Living God as One. Our fellowship is with the Living God, who is our Father.

We eat the bread and drink the wine to remember this.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life— the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us— that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things we write to you that your joy may be full."

Let's not make the mistake of the religiously-minded folks who make the liturgical practice more important than the eternal reality.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Jesus Yeshua is the Bread from heaven, born in a town called House of Bread, or, Beitlechem... Bethlehem.

We are taqught throughout the Word of God that the life of any warm blooded creature, cold blooded too I suppose, is in the Blood.

Yeshua gave His Life on the Csross, that is His Blood to give us Life Eternal.

When we do in memory of Him we are having our daily Bread, that is the Word of God, and we are partaking of His life, for with only our own life we have not eternity.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Good question. What is "Holy Communion?" I don't recall ever reading about it in the New Testament.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Good question. What is "Holy Communion?" I don't recall ever reading about it in the New Testament.
It's right here:

"For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God. And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end."

"For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are."

"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people..."

The Living God considers those in Christ to be holy. That's "holy communion".

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
1Cor 10:16 . .The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion
of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of
the body of Christ?

The Greek word translated "blessing" pertains to eulogies, i.e. commendable
words intended to honor someone; either past or present, e.g. kind words
offered when raising one's glass in a toast.

The word for "communion" is somewhat ambiguous. It can pertain to
fellowship, joint participation, sharing, and/or partnership.

Holy Communion (a.k.a. the Lord's Supper) speaks of the one thing held in
common among all Christians regardless of their denominational affiliation.

1Cor 10:17 . . For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we
all partake of that one bread.
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Until about 1900. When I believe Welch first pasteurized grape juice.

The beverage that Jesus gave his men pretty much had to be fermented
because Passover is March/April; prior to grape harvest when fresh
grapes became available in that land.

It's possible nowadays in the USA for churches to get in big trouble for
serving alcohol to minors, but I really don't think the Lord's Supper requires
booze, it only requires the beverage to be fruit of the vine (Matt 26:29) so
I would imagine that Welch's, or an equivalent, should be okay.
_

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022

The beverage that Jesus gave his men pretty much had to be fermented
because Passover is March/April; prior to grape harvest when fresh
grapes became available in that land.

It's possible nowadays in the USA for churches to get in big trouble for
serving alcohol to minors, but I really don't think the Lord's Supper requires
booze, it only requires the beverage to be fruit of the vine (Matt 26:29) so
I would imagine that Welch's, or an equivalent, should be okay.
_
I was trying to make my answer short.
I agree that the cup Jesus gave to his disciples was indeed wine.
I also feel the church has used wine until pasteurized juice came along.
I do not think its a good idea to change what Jesus instituted. I personally would not take communion with welches or any other juice. But I also would bot take communion with anyone who does not understand or discern the Body and Blood of Jesus in the communion.

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
the body of Christ?

_
Amen, I don't see the word "holy" or is it that people call it holy because of tradition?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Holy Communion (a.k.a. the Lord's Supper) speaks of the one thing held in common among all Christians regardless of their denominational affiliation.
This isn't exactly true. Some groups don't practice the Lord's Supper: the Salvation Army for example.

And we don't all hold it in common. Some groups teach and believe for example that Jesus Himself is in the wafer and the cup. This is a different Jesus than the Jesus of the Bible. There can be nothing in common between a true and a false Jesus.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
I don't see the word "holy" or is it that people call it holy because of
tradition?

The Greek word translated "holy" in the New Testament basically means
sacred and/or consecrated, i.e. things pertaining to God, including people,
i.e. saints.

Well; the Lord's Supper definitely satisfies that definition so I think it's
probably okay for tradition to call it holy even though it's not specifically
called holy in the Bible.
_

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington

The Greek word translated "holy" in the New Testament basically means
sacred and/or consecrated, i.e. things pertaining to God, including people,
i.e. saints.

Well; the Lord's Supper definitely satisfies that definition so I think it's
probably okay for tradition to call it holy even though it's not specifically
called holy in the Bible.
_
Why did Jesus Institute the Lord’s Supper on Passover?
  • Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper on Passover to signify that this new exodus was about to begin. This act indicated that the time of redemption had come.

What is the origin of the Lord’s Supper?
  • The Lord’s Supper is rooted in the Passover meal of the Old Testament and realized in Jesus’ final meal with His disciples before His death on the cross. The Lord’s Supper traces its roots from the Passover meal. Jesus and His disciples entered Jerusalem for the Passover feast.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
the body of Christ?

_
Paul wrote this to the Corinthians in the same letter:

"Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual, but as worldly—as infants in Christ."

We should know, then, that Paul is not able to go into much depth in his letter. He had to bottle feed these infants in Christ.

So, when giving instruction about fleeing from idolatry, Paul uses the Lord's Supper, able to be practiced at every meal in every believing home, to remind them of their connection to Christ as holy people of God. This was common to them and easily understood.

If we don't understand this we will create bad doctrine from these versus (i.e "the wine and bread are actually Jesus' blood and flesh") or make the practice of eating bread and drinking wine in remembrance of Jesus Christ liturgical. Even if some want to argue that it IS liturgical, it can be administrated by any priest. Thank God we are all priests in Christ. The reality of holy communion is that we have our fellowship with God in Christ. The bread and wine, common staples of all tables at that time, remind us of that reality.

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
Paul wrote this to the Corinthians in the same letter:

"Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual, but as worldly—as infants in Christ."

We should know, then, that Paul is not able to go into much depth in his letter. He had to bottle feed these infants in Christ.

So, when giving instruction about fleeing from idolatry, Paul uses the Lord's Supper, able to be practiced at every meal in every believing home, to remind them of their connection to Christ as holy people of God. This was common to them and easily understood.

If we don't understand this we will create bad doctrine from these versus (i.e "the wine and bread are actually Jesus' blood and flesh") or make the practice of eating bread and drinking wine in remembrance of Jesus Christ liturgical. Even if some want to argue that it IS liturgical, it can be administrated by any priest. Thank God we are all priests in Christ. The reality of holy communion is that we have our fellowship with God in Christ. The bread and wine, common staples of all tables at that time, remind us of that reality.
If you look closely at that passage Paul makes a clear distinction between meal time and taking the Lords supper.

1 Corinthians 11:22 (LEB): For do you not have houses for eating and drinking? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who do not have anything? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you!

He then goes on and explains the Lord's supper.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org

The one thing held in common among all Christians regardless of their
denominational affiliation isn't the Lord's Supper; no, it's what the supper
speaks of, which is his crucifixion for the sins of the world; and in point of
fact, Jesus' resurrection is not in the least associated with it.

That's good for Jehovah's Witnesses because they believe his crucified dead
body is still dead and its remains are squirreled away on earth in a condition
and a location known only to God. But at least they believe Jesus was
crucified for the sins of the world; every Christian denomination believes at
least that much about him whether they practice the Lord's Supper or not.
_

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington

The one thing held in common among all Christians regardless of their
denominational affiliation isn't the Lord's Supper; no, it's what the supper
speaks of, which is his crucifixion for the sins of the world; and in point of
fact, Jesus' resurrection is not in the least associated with it.

That's good for Jehovah's Witnesses because they believe his crucified dead
body is still dead and its remains are squirreled away on earth in a condition
and a location known only to God. But at least they believe Jesus was
crucified for the sins of the world; every Christian denomination believes at
least that much about him whether they practice the Lord's Supper or not.
_
I rather agree with the scriptures rightly divided.