What is Holy Communion?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2021
Thank you brother:)(y)
i am a former Roman Catholic Escapee that was set FREE by the Blood of the LORD Jesus Christ.

Today, i live under His Blood, His Word and the infilling of His Precious Holy Spirit - Amen.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
May all be freed from religious chains and discover the vital relationship He desires and requires. bless you

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Jesus Christ is not a mere human being; He is God Himself in the Flesh, as we know. He tells us to eat His Flesh and drink His Blood so that we can have His Life in us. The Jews were told not to drink the blood of animals or other human beings because they were not to have the life of those beings in them; but God does want Christ's Life in us, so we drink His Blood.

This happens in Holy Communion. Please read 1 Corinthians 10 and 11 where this is very clearly explained.

1 Cor 10:

16The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? 17Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

18Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?
Jesus would not tell them to do anything that was contrary to the law of Moses. The fact that you think he would show you have very little knowledge of the truth. You are obviously just trying to push your own barrow.
The Early Church Fathers unanimously believed Holy Communion - or the Holy Eucharist, the word for "thanksgiving" in the Greek - was the True Body and Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, not a bare and empty symbol, but the Real Presence of Christ.

For e.g. : http://therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/fathers.htm

St. Ignatius of Antioch (c. 110 A.D.)
I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the Bread of God, WHICH IS THE FLESH OF JESUS CHRIST, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I DESIRE HIS BLOOD, which is love incorruptible. (Letter to the Romans 7:3)

Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: FOR THERE IS ONE FLESH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, and one cup IN THE UNION OF HIS BLOOD; one ALTAR, as there is one bishop with the presbytery… (Letter to the Philadelphians 4:1)

They [i.e. the Gnostics] abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that THE EUCHARIST IS THE FLESH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. (Letter to Smyrnians 7:1)

If you want to believe that fairy story go right ahead and be my guest.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
May all be freed from religious chains and discover the vital relationship He desires and requires. bless you
Yes, I was so excited when I was set free from the religious chains that bound me to meaningless rituals.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
The Early Church Fathers unanimously believed Holy Communion - or the Holy Eucharist, the word for "thanksgiving" in the Greek - was the True Body and Precious Blood of Jesus Christ, not a bare and empty symbol, but the Real Presence of Christ.

For e.g. : http://therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/fathers.htm

St. Ignatius of Antioch (c. 110 A.D.)
I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the Bread of God, WHICH IS THE FLESH OF JESUS CHRIST, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I DESIRE HIS BLOOD, which is love incorruptible. (Letter to the Romans 7:3)

Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: FOR THERE IS ONE FLESH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, and one cup IN THE UNION OF HIS BLOOD; one ALTAR, as there is one bishop with the presbytery… (Letter to the Philadelphians 4:1)

They [i.e. the Gnostics] abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that THE EUCHARIST IS THE FLESH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. (Letter to Smyrnians 7:1)
Why isn't it in scripture then, just you're made up version of it?

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Simple because you as yet have not answered my question. And the verse you have quoted has nothing at all to do with holy communion as we know it so I guess that is a good way of avoiding the truth and the blind leading the blind.
Oh, you’re one of those…

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
No, he didn't. All you are doing is repeating what you have been told to say. Your understanding of the topic is nil. And I am disinclined to waste my time on explaining the facts to you as you have made it very clear you don't want to know.
Yes He did. Read the verse. Or do you deny what the scripture plainly says?

John 6:53
εἶπεν οὖν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ἐὰν μὴ φάγητε τὴν σάρκα τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου καὶ πίητε αὐτοῦ τὸ αἷμα, οὐκ ἔχετε ζωὴν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς.
Then Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life in yourselves!

See its literally right there....in plain writing.
Simple to see that Jesus did indeed say, to eat his flesh and drink his blood.

Aug 2, 2021
No context so irrelevant
The context is that you cannot eat His flesh and drink His blood in any physical fleshly form or by ritual practices such as roman catholocism and it's fleshly rituals.

the LORD clarifies this by saying: "the flesh profits nothing, these words I speak to you they are Spirit and they are Life."

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Yes He did. Read the verse. Or do you deny what the scripture plainly says?

John 6:53
εἶπεν οὖν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ἐὰν μὴ φάγητε τὴν σάρκα τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου καὶ πίητε αὐτοῦ τὸ αἷμα, οὐκ ἔχετε ζωὴν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς.
Then Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life in yourselves!

See its literally right there....in plain writing.
Simple to see that Jesus did indeed say, to eat his flesh and drink his blood.
So how do I eat the flesh of Jesus and drink his blood as he is not here for me to cut a piece of his flesh off him or stick a knife into his side and get out some blood?

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
@DavidTree; @Dirtman; @Aron56: XAvierJesusLovesIndia; @shittim and anyone else who keeps arguing the toss with me. After two years of study and 60 books on the subject and researching the history of the New Testament Church, I think I know what I am talking about. I realize that some of you have a disdain for learning outside of your 30-minute sermon on Sunday morning and anything outside of that is suspect so I stick with God and what he has shown me and taught me.

If you don't like it that is your problem, not mine, so do not waste any more of your time trying to convince yourself that you are right and I am wrong. When someone is better trained than me and knows more than what I know I have plenty of time to listen to them. Otherwise, I am a bit worn out listening to you trotting out the same old same old and expect me to fall at your feet and say how wonderful you are cuz it ain't going to happen.

Aug 2, 2021
@DavidTree; @Dirtman; @Aron56: XAvierJesusLovesIndia; @shittim and anyone else who keeps arguing the toss with me. After two years of study and 60 books on the subject and researching the history of the New Testament Church, I think I know what I am talking about. I realize that some of you have a disdain for learning outside of your 30-minute sermon on Sunday morning and anything outside of that is suspect so I stick with God and what he has shown me and taught me.

If you don't like it that is your problem, not mine, so do not waste any more of your time trying to convince yourself that you are right and I am wrong. When someone is better trained than me and knows more than what I know I have plenty of time to listen to them. Otherwise, I am a bit worn out listening to you trotting out the same old same old and expect me to fall at your feet and say how wonderful you are cuz it ain't going to happen.
The Holy Spirit and the Word is the Truth.

Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”
When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
John ch6

Religion is dead.

Nov 26, 2021
India
60 books? I must have read a 100, about 50 from Christian writers from the first 500 years of Christianity, and 50 from more recent authors. You see, I have Seminary Education, as I once believed it was my calling/vocation to be a Catholic Priest.

Anyway, the issue is not who has read or not read books, but (1) what did the Lord Himself and His Apostles teach? and (2) what did the Early Christians, some of whom knew the Lord and His Apostles personally, believe about Holy Communion?

1. No matter which translation you read, the Lord is very clear that His Flesh is True Food and His Blood is True Drink. The Jews did not believe this, even though they had just seen His Miracle, because they did not have true faith in His Word. Peter and the Apostles did:

John 6, KJV:

"54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him."

See the difference between those who could not accept this Teaching: "This is an hard saying; who can hear it?" (see verse 60), to which the Lord said: "there are some of you that believe not" (see verse 64); and then in 6:66 they walked away from Him, because they would not believe: "66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him"; then He turned and asked His Apostles, "Will ye also go away?" (vs 67); but they instead responded like we should, with firm faith, even if we do not understand: "Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life."

Do any of us understand the Mystery of the Holy Trinity, that God is One in Three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit? We can't understand it fully, but we believe it, because Christ taught it. Later, we understand as we allow Christ to lead us.

Only at the Lord's Supper, did the Lord Jesus finally reveal fully to His Apostles what He was talking about in John 6. Like He said, "I WILL GIVE" i.e. in future, which means He hadn't done it yet. So when He do it? At the Lord's Supper, of course.

"For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." (Mat 26:28)

Just compare how the Old covenant was instituted, and you see Christ certainly instituted the New too in Real Blood, His own: "So Moses took the blood, sprinkled it on the people, and said, "This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words." (Exodus 24:8)

There it was only sprinkled upon the people, but because the New exceeds the Old, here It is given to us to drink.

But if we don't believe what He said in John 6, Mat 26, what Paul teaches also, there is nothing He can do about it.

God Bless.

Jul 16, 2021
In looking over the discussion thread there seems to be two thoughts which are confusing contributors.
1. Some are saying holy communion is the body of Christ. We need no bread and wine or supper to be in this communion. Answer- The Bible does speak of the Holy Christian Church which is all believers in Jesus Christ. This is also called the Communion of Saints. How does Jesus want to fee His body so they remain in faith? With His Word, Baptism and His Holy Supper also call Holy Communion. These are the means the Holy Spirit uses to strengthen and preserve faith in Jesus.
2. Jesus definitely gave to the disciples His body to eat to the disciples when He handed them the unleavened bread. As they took a piece He said "This is my body given for you for the remission of sins." He also gave them His blood to drink when he handed them the cup of wine that had been used during the Passover meal. As they drank He said "This is my blood, shed for you and for many for the remission of sins." Then He said "do this in remembrance of me." He wanted them to continue this sacred meal in the future.
Did they actually eat His flesh and drink his blood?, No they were not savages. Nevertheless because Jesus said this is what they were consuming they believed it. He was giving them the very price of redemption which He would pay in full the next day. The benefits of which He wanted to share with them and future Christians because He knew we would need assurance of forgiveness of sins, strength of faith and confidence of entering heaven when we die. What more powerful ally could assure that He would provide these blessings than His body and blood?

P

persistent

yea some people aren’t knit pickey and always looking for anything to argue and point at as someone doing something “ wrong “ so they must be “ desperate “ and just need to conform to your own opinion “

I’m not writing a book for profit , or an article for sale . Just a guy discussing things in a public Bible discussion forum

respectfully if you don’t like how I say what I say I’m pretty sure there’s an ignore button , so you don’t find yourself worrying about how another person uses the provided don’t tools while they are here

it helps me , to understand and communicate what I’m saying , if you or anyone else has an issue with the font , again respectfully there’s an ignore button you will never need to see it again d can discuss with the right size font

again as politely as possible in no way am I interested in people explaining which font size I can use , not intending to offend you with font size or anything but honestly worry about what’s within your own control and what’s actually someone doing something worth criticizing and making n issue about

and again if you don’t like and are offended by my “ penmanship “ ( grammar I think you mean ) which font or font size Ive used just fine oosts with approved fonts and font sizes d don’t worry about what others use in thier posts no offense Intended but i honestly am Not looking for anyones approval over what font I post with if you don’t want to read , dont , no offense taken or intended

peace and good will
Hey my friend Pilgrimshope, how are you? Didn't see you here 22 sept. Should we acknowledge or have communion on our own. I did. Don't see problem with that. I have only one time participated in the 'ritual' when I went two or three times to some kind of Protestant assembly here in Chicago about 3 yrs. ago and before that I only remember in Catholic grammar school I would have communion but my thinking then was that the wafer was a taste I kind of liked. I don't know that I even saw any significance to my participating 3yrs ago. After reading quite a few of the posts here it seems there is confusion about this, so I realize I'm not the only person on the planet that doesn't know what 'communion', 'last supper', 'Lord's Supper' is or isn't and how to appropriately participate if at all.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Hey my friend Pilgrimshope, how are you? Didn't see you here 22 sept. Should we acknowledge or have communion on our own. I did. Don't see problem with that. I have only one time participated in the 'ritual' when I went two or three times to some kind of Protestant assembly here in Chicago about 3 yrs. ago and before that I only remember in Catholic grammar school I would have communion but my thinking then was that the wafer was a taste I kind of liked. I don't know that I even saw any significance to my participating 3yrs ago. After reading quite a few of the posts here it seems there is confusion about this, so I realize I'm not the only person on the planet that doesn't know what 'communion', 'last supper', 'Lord's Supper' is or isn't and how to appropriately participate if at all.
“Should we acknowledge or have communion on our own. I did. Don't see problem with that”

yeah I honestly don’t know I don’t see an issue with it either . Communion is designed to be done in a group and never is meant to be a ritual it’s like many things become that because of a lack of hearing what it means and accepting it

if you have a group that does t understand what it is it’s not being done in faith , and all things work by faith

I would certainly take it alone if I understood what it’s for and there was no one else to take it with so I don’t personally see an issue either

it’s design is meant to be done together in a love gathering and memory of Christs sacrifice for our lives but God doesn’t have any “rituals” in Christ that’s what modern Christianity has made those things of faith into looking at the new as if it’s the old

even melchezidek brought forth bread and wine to Abram in genesis to represent the covenant of Christs body and blood things rooted so deeply in scripture are always important matters to God , none more inprtsnt than Jesus body and blood

if we were to Accept this , just simply accepting what the apostle so many regard highly says , what would communion then Become for us ?

“For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:23-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭

It’s an act of faith a ritual is something we do that has no tangible meaning it’s a regulation that is like a check box , communion with Jesus body and blood is a word of faith given to her and believe and act upon in that belief it’s only effective if we believe what it’s given for this is true of all faith if we don’t believe what God said it’s for it can’t then be faith but if we hear , believe and the. Act by that it’s faith

like this act of faith induced by hearing

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:36-39, 41‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they heard about baptism for remission of sins in Jesus name and they believes it meant this by faith they acted and received the promise of remission of sins

what’s happened is people don’t accept what’s there and begin to say “ baptism isn’t what it says it is , it’s not needed , it’s not for remission of sins “ and so faith falls apart because we have to hear the word and accept it to have faith it’s the source of everything we’re given in Christ

“This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Faith comes from hearing the word like communion we need to believe what the scripture says it means and then anyone who believes would gladly be partaking because that’s where faith would lead them

we can’t believe things we don’t hear d many don’t hear what’s in the Bible now days because othershave told them other contrary things not in the Bible

“ communion isn’t necassary it’s a ritual , baptism is for the Jews it’s Old Testament not necassary , ect

it’s contrary to faith if it’s contrary to the word but if we can agree with the word we have faith

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
by the way brother hello ! I’m doing well thank you “ uncle Arthur “ is shouting alot today in my joints but the weather is wonderful and my heart is at peace

thanks for asking and how are you doing brother ?

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
Communion is what its name says it is. It is the communion of the Saints with The Lord Jesus. So the practice of communion needs to be a communion of the body of believers other wise known as the church, and it should be issued by those hold the office of the ministry. So two folks setting at a bar with a bottle of Maddog 2020 and a tube of crackers are not having communion.

baptism is for the Jews it’s Old Testament not necassary ,
There is no other Jews than those baptized into Christ.

“I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
Revelation 2:9 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/rev.2.9.NKJV

Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.
Revelation 3:9 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/rev.3.9.NKJV

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Communion is what its name says it is. It is the communion of the Saints with The Lord Jesus. So the practice of communion needs to be a communion of the body of believers other wise known as the church, and it should be issued by those hold the office of the ministry. So two folks setting at a bar with a bottle of Maddog 2020 and a tube of crackers are not having communion.

There is no other Jews than those baptized into Christ.

“I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
Revelation 2:9 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/rev.2.9.NKJV

Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.
Revelation 3:9 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/rev.3.9.NKJV
any Christian whether they used to be a Jew or gentile is still now and was then baptized into Christ for remission of sins.

from those former Jews who had called for Christs death to the gentiles afterward who hears and believes the gospel

yeah that’s my point “ communion is what the Bible says it is “ like this section of scripture explains to us what it is and what’s it means to Christian’s

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:23-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That’s a teaching about communion toninderstsnd communion we need to accept it it’s coming from a chosen messenger of Jesus Christ the lord who’s tasked with teaching the church the meaning of these things . Just as the other apostles pretty straight forward but I agree we have to accept what the scripture says it’s for that’s faith

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭

It’s the same for anything in Christ we have to accept what the Bible says and act like we believe what it says but until we’re willing to hear it and believe there’s no faith like baptism if we want to know more about how it works to remit our sins and what it means to us we can don the same thing and hear about it

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.”( remission of sin )
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3-4, 6

or maybe we know that and need to hear this

“For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:26-29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

all we have to do is trust Gods word of what it means and why we want to donthese things what it means to God is the important part and that’s what it means for us whatever he has determined in his word