What is Holy Communion?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

persistent

“Should we acknowledge or have communion on our own. I did. Don't see problem with that”

yeah I honestly don’t know I don’t see an issue with it either . Communion is designed to be done in a group and never is meant to be a ritual it’s like many things become that because of a lack of hearing what it means and accepting it

if you have a group that does t understand what it is it’s not being done in faith , and all things work by faith

I would certainly take it alone if I understood what it’s for and there was no one else to take it with so I don’t personally see an issue either

it’s design is meant to be done together in a love gathering and memory of Christs sacrifice for our lives but God doesn’t have any “rituals” in Christ that’s what modern Christianity has made those things of faith into looking at the new as if it’s the old

even melchezidek brought forth bread and wine to Abram in genesis to represent the covenant of Christs body and blood things rooted so deeply in scripture are always important matters to God , none more inprtsnt than Jesus body and blood

if we were to Accept this , just simply accepting what the apostle so many regard highly says , what would communion then Become for us ?

“For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:23-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭

It’s an act of faith a ritual is something we do that has no tangible meaning it’s a regulation that is like a check box , communion with Jesus body and blood is a word of faith given to her and believe and act upon in that belief it’s only effective if we believe what it’s given for this is true of all faith if we don’t believe what God said it’s for it can’t then be faith but if we hear , believe and the. Act by that it’s faith

like this act of faith induced by hearing

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:36-39, 41‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they heard about baptism for remission of sins in Jesus name and they believes it meant this by faith they acted and received the promise of remission of sins

what’s happened is people don’t accept what’s there and begin to say “ baptism isn’t what it says it is , it’s not needed , it’s not for remission of sins “ and so faith falls apart because we have to hear the word and accept it to have faith it’s the source of everything we’re given in Christ

“This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Faith comes from hearing the word like communion we need to believe what the scripture says it means and then anyone who believes would gladly be partaking because that’s where faith would lead them

we can’t believe things we don’t hear d many don’t hear what’s in the Bible now days because othershave told them other contrary things not in the Bible

“ communion isn’t necassary it’s a ritual , baptism is for the Jews it’s Old Testament not necassary , ect

it’s contrary to faith if it’s contrary to the word but if we can agree with the word we have faith
17After Abram returned from his victory over Kedorlaomer and all his allies, the king of Sodom went out to meet him in the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley).
18And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, God brought Abram some bread and wine. 19Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing:
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.
20And blessed be God Most High, who has defeated your enemies for you. ”Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.
21The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give back my people who were captured. But you may keep for yourself all the goods you have recovered.”
This is NLT translation, which is more understandable to me but do you know why the king of Sodom is also mentioned here in verse 17? He is mentioned as king Bera in verse 2 but I don't see any significance mentioning him here. Maybe a witness or some scribal error to even mention him here. Verse 21 he makes a deal with Abram. Maybe just letting a know he is with Abram?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
17After Abram returned from his victory over Kedorlaomer and all his allies, the king of Sodom went out to meet him in the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley).
18And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, God brought Abram some bread and wine. 19Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing:
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.
20And blessed be God Most High, who has defeated your enemies for you. ”Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.
21The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give back my people who were captured. But you may keep for yourself all the goods you have recovered.”
This is NLT translation, which is more understandable to me but do you know why the king of Sodom is also mentioned here in verse 17? He is mentioned as king Bera in verse 2 but I don't see any significance mentioning him here. Maybe a witness or some scribal error to even mention him here. Verse 21 he makes a deal with Abram. Maybe just letting a know he is with Abram?

There was a battle of nine kings ( I think nine of I’m not mistaken ) Abraham had just returned from saving his people who were taken captive by some of those kings I think it’s just showing us that already there were other rulers apart from Gods high priest and king melchezidek in the earth and also it’s just part of what was happening when he returned

Abraham had saved lot also , and he was from The region of soddom and Gomorrah at this time , it seems the king is trying to thank abram for rescuing some of his people , But Abram refused the kings offer and his offering because soddom was a sinful place and Abraham wanted no part with him

soon after abraham asked repeatedly if God could find any righteous people on soddom if he would spare the City but ten can’t be found in the city and only lot and his family is spared because he’s Abraham’s family.

ot seems to lead the story into soddom destruction and is coming from the battle of the kings which abraham won and delivered his people just before melchezidek Met him as he returned from victory

notice melchezidek says God has delivered abrams enemies into his hands

Abraham’s life story is so important to Christian’s from genesis 12 -22 is really fundamental to our faith because the gospel is based upon the promises to Abraham the father of many nations coming to pass through Christ the seed of abraham

P

persistent

by the way brother hello ! I’m doing well thank you “ uncle Arthur “ is shouting alot today in my joints but the weather is wonderful and my heart is at peace
cia
thanks for asking and how are you doing brother ?
I am in decent shape. I was about to go on about my deceased mother & brother & uncle A. I can't explain me almost nothing at 70 in 5 days. Ps. 73:1 Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart. 2 But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. I was going to actually take out Israel in vs 1 and put persistent there but better not and I don't yet feel the clean heart but going that way. And if you keep reading after this point it is an unusual association I make of verse 2 and at age 12 or so going to a place about 90 miles southwest of Chicago called Starved Rock and with 2 friends. And Starved Rock stands maybe over 50 feet tall and in the 60's had bicycle paths and we could ride them to the very top and some places they were close to the edge. At a point near the top I was off my bicycle for some reason which I don 't recall and on a slope of maybe 45 degrees, steep and hanging on to little twigs to get back up. And here some 50 plus years later I come across the verse "...and my feet almost slipped, I was almost gone." The verse reminded me of that potentially dangerous incident. What gives?? And for all my rebellion and all and no problems with uncle or nearly anything else. God does preserve?! I don't understand it. I don't understand me even writing this. Also a strange thing, I can not figure out how at age 12 us kids got to 90 miles from where we lived on our bicycles. Someone would have had to drive us and I don't recall who it could have been.

P

persistent

There was a battle of nine kings ( I think nine of I’m not mistaken ) Abraham had just returned from saving his people who were taken captive by some of those kings I think it’s just showing us that already there were other rulers apart from Gods high priest and king melchezidek in the earth and also it’s just part of what was happening when he returned

Abraham had saved lot also , and he was from The region of soddom and Gomorrah at this time , it seems the king is trying to thank abram for rescuing some of his people , But Abram refused the kings offer and his offering because soddom was a sinful place and Abraham wanted no part with him

soon after abraham asked repeatedly if God could find any righteous people on soddom if he would spare the City but ten can’t be found in the city and only lot and his family is spared because he’s Abraham’s family.

ot seems to lead the story into soddom destruction and is coming from the battle of the kings which abraham won and delivered his people just before melchezidek Met him as he returned from victory

notice melchezidek says God has delivered abrams enemies into his hands

Abraham’s life story is so important to Christian’s from genesis 12 -22 is really fundamental to our faith because the gospel is based upon the promises to Abraham the father of many nations coming to pass through Christ the seed of abraham
Is it possible that the king of Sodom was trying to get in good with Abram. Seems to me the Bible does mention that some of these nations 'already' recognized something 'special' about Abram and his people.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Is it possible that the king of Sodom was trying to get in good with Abram. Seems to me the Bible does mention that some of these nations 'already' recognized something 'special' about Abram and his people.
I’d say it sure is possible that’s a good thought actually I totally agree it’s a good possibility

P

persistent

I’d say it sure is possible that’s a good thought actually I totally agree it’s a good possibility
WOW! And I sit here trying to recall if Abram was around the time of Moses and when was Noah around. I always get mixed up with who and when. I was just sort of thinking out loud about the possibilities with Bera and Abram, so if it sounds probable to you and I will see what some commentators say on Bible hub but they can be hard to understand with some of their high falutin way of putting things.

P

persistent

From Gill's comments
And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son,.... The son of Haran, his elder brother, who was now, as the Jews say (x), fifty years of age:
who dwelt in Sodom, or near it, in the country adjacent to it, see Genesis 13:12; and so being a neighbour of the men of Sodom, and a sojourner among them, he partakes of their punishment; and this was a just correction of him for choosing to dwell among such a people: and they took

his goods, and departed; as him and his family, so all his substance, his cattle, wealth, and riches of every sort, and went off with it: Eupolemus (y), an Heathen writer, makes mention of this circumstance in his relation of this war, and says, that the Armenians, as he calls the four kings, baring conquered the Phoenicians, carried away captive the brother's son of Abram.

(x) Shalshalet Hakabala, fol. 77. 1.((y) Apud Euseb. Evangel. Praepar. l. 9. c. 17. p. 418.

Genesis 14:13
And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
And there came one that escaped,.... Both the sword of the enemy and the slimepits; either one of the inhabitants of Sodom, who had an acquaintance with Lot and a friendship for him, and knew his relation to Abram; or one of Lot's family, that might escape being taken and carried captive: for not Michael the prince, so called, because when the angels fell they would have drawn him with them, but God delivered him, and therefore his name was called or "one that escaped", as the Jews (z) say; nor Og, that escaped the waters of the flood, as they also say (a), and now from this war, and was the only one left of the Rephaim, or giants, whom Amraphel slew, which they gather from Deuteronomy 3:11; who they suppose came with the following message to Abram with an ill design, that he might go out to war with the kings, and be slain, and then he thought to marry his wife; but these are idle fancies, what is first suggested is right.
And told Abram the Hebrew; that there had been a battle of four kings with five, that the latter were beaten, among whom were the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah; and that Lot, his kinsman, who dwelt in or near Sodom, was carried captive, with all his goods. Abram is called the Hebrew, either from his passing over or coming beyond the river Euphrates, from Chaldea into Canaan; with which the Septuagint version agrees, rendering it the "passer over"; and so Jarchi says he is called, because he came beyond the river: or rather from his having lived beyond it, as such as dwelt there were called; for it can hardly be thought that he should peculiarly have this name from that single action of his passing the river, which multitudes did besides him: but rather, why should he not be called Ibri, the word here used, from the place of his birth? For, according to the Talmudists (b), Ur of the Chaldees was called , "little Ibra"; though it is more generally thought he had this name from his being a descendant of Eber, and who was not only of his sons' sons, and spoke the same language, but professed the same religion, and which was continued in his posterity, who to the latest ages were called Hebrews, and sometimes Eber, Numbers 24:24; and which is the opinion of many Jewish writers (c), and seems most probable:

for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite; see Genesis 13:18; it was about forty miles from Sodom, but from it to Dan, whither he pursued the four kings, and where he overtook, fought, and smote them, is by some computed one hundred and twenty four miles (d): this Mamre, from whom the plain or grove of oaks were called, was the

brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner; who are particularly mentioned, because of their concern in the following expedition:

and these were confederate with Abram; or "were masters" or "authors of a covenant" (e) with him; they had entered into a league to defend one another, their persons and properties, from the insults of invaders and tyrants, or thieves and robbers: and it may be lawful to form such leagues with irreligious persons on such accounts, where there is no prohibition from God, as there was none as yet, though there afterwards was one; and the Israelites, were forbid to make covenants with the Canaanites, but that was after they were drove out of the land for their sins, Deuteronomy 7:1; besides, it is not improbable that these men were religious men, and worshipped the same God with Abram, for such there were among the Canaanitish princes, of which Melchizedek, after spoken of, is an instance; and as yet the sin of the Amorites was not full, of which tribe or nation these men were.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
WOW! And I sit here trying to recall if Abram was around the time of Moses and when was Noah around. I always get mixed up with who and when. I was just sort of thinking out loud about the possibilities with Bera and Abram, so if it sounds probable to you and I will see what some commentators say on Bible hub but they can be hard to understand with some of their high falutin way of putting things.
Noah was Abraham’s grand father ( several generations over , Moses was then a descendant of Abraham through Jacob Abraham’s grandpa

the biblical promises have always come through one line of men Hebrews ( Seth’s line , until Christ changed It there’s a diversion at the twelve sons of Jacob and Judahs line becomes the line of Christ even from judahs blessing in genesis 49

notice the geneology of Jesus in Matthew ?

“The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; ( named israel ) and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; ( 12 tribes )

…and Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; …and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

…and Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:1-2, 6, 12, 16, 18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the line of Seth leads to Noah , his three sons Shem ham and Japheth is where a third of men are cursed , those born of ham the father of Canaan who mocked Noah the remaining heir of the world after the flood

do you have the hamites ( canaanites )

then You have the shemites ( Abraham’s line from Seth , d then you have the japethites ( gentiles who would later be included with Abraham’s line of Shem )

“And he said, Cursed be Canaan; A servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9:25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; And Canaan shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth, And he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; And Canaan shall be his servant.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9:26-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

From those three came the current mankind in the world and the nations were after divided based on the one blessings and that curse.

the Hebrews and gentiles ,meoils be blessed together through Abraham when’s descendant and chosen of God

“Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭10:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭10:32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

When’s line leads to Abraham who leads to Isaac Jacob , David and Jesus

“These are the generations of Shem: Shem was an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood:……. And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran. Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot. And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son's son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram's wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭11:10, 26-27, 31‬ ‭

makes sense more now because we see y that land was chosen in the next chapter you then see the importance of Abraham’s life and experience with God and then when Jesus comes forth it makes sense knowing he is the seed of Abraham promised through David , through Jacob , through Isaac through Abraham through Noah ect

that are all of one line until Christ then ll can be of the line of Christ through faith making us all of the same line of Abraham and his seed of promise Jesus Christ

geneology isn’t that exciting but there’s a lot of it in scripture to show the line of Jesus Christ being the fulfillment of all Gods promises to all nations of mankind who were one before they were divided into nations in genesis chapter 11

We began as one earthly people later were divided based on curses and blessings due to sin like cain and Seth , like Shem ham and Japheth. Then we became many nations divided and in Christ we become a single people again born of the line of promise through the faith of Abraham and his seed Jesus Christ our lord

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
; and as yet the sin of the Amorites was not full, of which tribe or nation these men were.
in the end there what your saying goes to Abram the Hebrews blessing according to earthly land of Canaan

“And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.

And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not their's, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; and also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.

And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full. ( fulfilled in exodus )

And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates: the Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭15:12-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

then Later you have a heavenly eternal covenant made based on the promised seed

“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee! And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation. ( israel )

But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭17:1-7, 18-21‬ ‭

this is why Paul tells the allegory of ishmael and Isaac saying these are the two covenants ishmael corresponds to Israel’s covenant one nation with twelve princes

Isaac corresponds to the everlasting heavenly covenant based on Jesus Christ the promised son and seed by which we become the children of God from all nations through the gospel bekng preached to Abraham forst and all nations after through Christs

“And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen ( gentile ) through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:8-9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭

not the covenant made with Abram in chapter 15 but the one made to Abraham father of many nations based on faith and the seed promised to Abraham not ishmael born of sorrow will to a bondmaid but Isaac born because God promosed he would
Be born in thoer lives we can understand better the two covenants and who is the true heir

“For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: ( old covenant ) for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. ( new covenant )

So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:22-26, 30-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Abraham’s life has so many shapes of the gospel because the gospel
Is based on Abraham life and his interactions with Isaac the son of promise and figure of Jesus Christ like when Isaac was proposed to be sacrificed

By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:17-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac because God promosed Isaac would have a seed also and carry that blessing so Abraham knew “ even if I do this God will raise him from the dead because his promise needs Isaac to live “

Based on what God told him about Isaac before Abraham had faith that Isaac would live through this

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I am in decent shape. I was about to go on about my deceased mother & brother & uncle A. I can't explain me almost nothing at 70 in 5 days. Ps. 73:1 Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart. 2 But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. I was going to actually take out Israel in vs 1 and put persistent there but better not and I don't yet feel the clean heart but going that way. And if you keep reading after this point it is an unusual association I make of verse 2 and at age 12 or so going to a place about 90 miles southwest of Chicago called Starved Rock and with 2 friends. And Starved Rock stands maybe over 50 feet tall and in the 60's had bicycle paths and we could ride them to the very top and some places they were close to the edge. At a point near the top I was off my bicycle for some reason which I don 't recall and on a slope of maybe 45 degrees, steep and hanging on to little twigs to get back up. And here some 50 plus years later I come across the verse "...and my feet almost slipped, I was almost gone." The verse reminded me of that potentially dangerous incident. What gives?? And for all my rebellion and all and no problems with uncle or nearly anything else. God does preserve?! I don't understand it. I don't understand me even writing this. Also a strange thing, I can not figure out how at age 12 us kids got to 90 miles from where we lived on our bicycles. Someone would have had to drive us and I don't recall who it could have been.
understanding begins here brother

“Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:15‬ ‭

young children don’t know much as far as understanding goes , so when thier owrent teaches them they are like a sponge what they learn from thoer trusted parent becomes what they believe in thier heart

but they don’t require to be of great understanding beforehand they are willing to trust thier father nd what he’s teaching them about life
Remember it’s an easy yoke and a burden that is light

like we do we teach children basics and then add later to thier understanding as they need to learn it that’s how God is through faith we need to become fools void of understanding and let him impart his understanding to us like a father does his children

P

persistent

understanding begins here brother

“Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭10:15‬ ‭

young children don’t know much as far as understanding goes , so when thier owrent teaches them they are like a sponge what they learn from thoer trusted parent becomes what they believe in thier heart

but they don’t require to be of great understanding beforehand they are willing to trust thier father nd what he’s teaching them about life
Remember it’s an easy yoke and a burden that is light

like we do we teach children basics and then add later to thier understanding as they need to learn it that’s how God is through faith we need to become fools void of understanding and let him impart his understanding to us like a father does his children
According to what I understand after reading some of Gill's comments is the king of Sodom set up traps of tar pits, which everyone knows about oil rich mid-east the stuff oozes out of the ground everywhere, but Sodom's king, Bera fell into his own traps. Gill says that Bera is a descendant of Ham and occupied some 13 cities, including Sodom and Gomorrah. The area called the Vale of Siddim is apparently on the east coastal plain of what we now refer to as the Dead Sea.Historical English names include the Salt Sea,[16] Lake of Sodom[16] from the biblical account of its destruction[15] and Lake Asphaltites[16] from Greek and Latin. Because of the large volume of ancient trade in the lake's naturally occurring free-floating bitumen, its usual names in ancient Greek and Roman geography were some form of Asphalt Lake (Greek: Ἀσφαλτίτης or Ἀσφαλτίτις Λίμνη, Asphaltítēs or Asphaltítis Límnē; Latin: Lacus Asphaltites) or Sea (Ἀσφαλτίτης Θάλασσα, Asphaltítēs Thálassa).

And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son,.... The son of Haran, his elder brother, who was now, as the Jews say (x), fifty years of age:
who dwelt in Sodom, or near it, in the country adjacent to it, see Genesis 13:12; and so being a neighbour of the men of Sodom, and a sojourner among them, he partakes of their punishment; and this was a just correction of him for choosing to dwell among such a people: and they took

his goods, and departed; as him and his family, so all his substance, his cattle, wealth, and riches of every sort, and went off with it: Eupolemus (y), an Heathen writer, makes mention of this circumstance in his relation of this war, and says, that the Armenians, as he calls the four kings, baring conquered the Phoenicians, carried away captive the brother's son of Abram.

(x) Shalshalet Hakabala, fol. 77. 1.((y) Apud Euseb. Evangel. Praepar. l. 9. c. 17. p. 418.

And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
And there came one that escaped,.... Both the sword of the enemy and the slimepits; either one of the inhabitants of Sodom, who had an acquaintance with Lot and a friendship for him, and knew his relation to Abram; or one of Lot's family, that might escape being taken and carried captive: for not Michael the prince, so called, because when the angels fell they would have drawn him with them, but God delivered him, and therefore his name was called or "one that escaped", as the Jews (z) say; nor Og, that escaped the waters of the flood, as they also say (a), and now from this war, and was the only one left of the Rephaim, or giants, whom Amraphel slew, which they gather from Deuteronomy 3:11; who they suppose came with the following message to Abram with an ill design, that he might go out to war with the kings, and be slain, and then he thought to marry his wife; but these are idle fancies, what is first suggested is right.
And told Abram the Hebrew; that there had been a battle of four kings with five, that the latter were beaten, among whom were the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah; and that Lot, his kinsman, who dwelt in or near Sodom, was carried captive, with all his goods. Abram is called the Hebrew, either from his passing over or coming beyond the river Euphrates, from Chaldea into Canaan; with which the Septuagint version agrees, rendering it the "passer over"; and so Jarchi says he is called, because he came beyond the river: or rather from his having lived beyond it, as such as dwelt there were called; for it can hardly be thought that he should peculiarly have this name from that single action of his passing the river, which multitudes did besides him: but rather, why should he not be called Ibri, the word here used, from the place of his birth? For, according to the Talmudists (b), Ur of the Chaldees was called , "little Ibra"; though it is more generally thought he had this name from his being a descendant of Eber, and who was not only of his sons' sons, and spoke the same language, but professed the same religion, and which was continued in his posterity, who to the latest ages were called Hebrews, and sometimes Eber, Numbers 24:24; and which is the opinion of many Jewish writers (c), and seems most probable:

for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite; see Genesis 13:18; it was about forty miles from Sodom, but from it to Dan, whither he pursued the four kings, and where he overtook, fought, and smote them, is by some computed one hundred and twenty four miles (d): this Mamre, from whom the plain or grove of oaks were called, was the

brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner; who are particularly mentioned, because of their concern in the following expedition:

and these were confederate with Abram; or "were masters" or "authors of a covenant" (e) with him; they had entered into a league to defend one another, their persons and properties, from the insults of invaders and tyrants, or thieves and robbers: and it may be lawful to form such leagues with irreligious persons on such accounts, where there is no prohibition from God, as there was none as yet, though there afterwards was one; and the Israelites, were forbid to make covenants with the Canaanites, but that was after they were drove out of the land for their sins, Deuteronomy 7:1; besides, it is not improbable that these men were religious men, and worshipped the same God with Abram, for such there were among the Canaanitish princes, of which Melchizedek, after spoken of, is an instance; and as yet the sin of the Amorites was not full, of which tribe or nation these men were.

And by force took them from the king Chedorlaomer of Elam descendant of Shem. Lots of intrigue here for sure. Gill posits that Abram here called the 'Hebrew' as a name attributed to him as a descendant of Eber rather than some as from 'across the river'. MY COMMENT; If Eber translates to across the river wouldn't it be a matter of language bifurcating. Gill's comment on vs. 13 here concerning 'the one who escaped', is inconclusive as to who this is.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
According to what I understand after reading some of Gill's comments is the king of Sodom set up traps of tar pits, which everyone knows about oil rich mid-east the stuff oozes out of the ground everywhere, but Sodom's king, Bera fell into his own traps. Gill says that Bera is a descendant of Ham and occupied some 13 cities, including Sodom and Gomorrah. The area called the Vale of Siddim is apparently on the east coastal plain of what we now refer to as the Dead Sea.Historical English names include the Salt Sea,[16] Lake of Sodom[16] from the biblical account of its destruction[15] and Lake Asphaltites[16] from Greek and Latin. Because of the large volume of ancient trade in the lake's naturally occurring free-floating bitumen, its usual names in ancient Greek and Roman geography were some form of Asphalt Lake (Greek: Ἀσφαλτίτης or Ἀσφαλτίτις Λίμνη, Asphaltítēs or Asphaltítis Límnē; Latin: Lacus Asphaltites) or Sea (Ἀσφαλτίτης Θάλασσα, Asphaltítēs Thálassa).

And by force took them from the king Chedorlaomer of Elam descendant of Shem. Lots of intrigue here for sure. Gill posits that Abram here called the 'Hebrew' as a name attributed to him as a descendant of Eber rather than some as from 'across the river'. MY COMMENT; If Eber translates to across the river wouldn't it be a matter of language bifurcating. Gill's comment on vs. 13 here concerning 'the one who escaped', is inconclusive as to who this is.
Wow , there’s a lot of good Information there to consider I appreciate you sharing that !!

P

persistent

Wow , there’s a lot of good Information there to consider I appreciate you sharing that !!
I just today realized how I threw Sparkygreg off this post. I was getting too much in haste about this chat. Have not had much opportunity to share with anyone before getting on this chat 11 Sept 2022. Maybe this post regarding communion will get it back on track. I really like MacLaren's commentary and it seems to be accurate regarding communion, as far as I can tell. Just one thing though it seems the first time I communed with the Father I had this strange thought about the bread; It was of grammar school church time and thinking that it certainly does not seem right that a person, I'm thinking of the Catholic priest, would bless a piece of bread. I was thinking I'm doing this to recall God's Beloved Son Jesus and today when I read MacLaren's commentary as follows it certainly seems blessing all those wafer in a golden cup is reminiscent of ((((Revelation 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:)))))AND MacLaren commentary on 1 Cor.11;24Do this,’ is the true meaning of the words, not ‘in remembrance of Me,’ but something far more sweet and pathetic-’do this for the remembering of Me.’ The former expression is equal to ‘Do this because you remember.’ The real meaning of the words is, ‘Do this in case you forget’; do this in order that you may recall to memory what the slippery memory is so apt to lose-the impression of even the sweetest sweetness, of the most loving love, and the most self-abnegating sacrifice, which He offered for us. ))))Sparkygreg sorry about my intrusion on communion.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Abraham, father of Isaac, who fathered Jacob, who fathered the 12 Jewish name tribes (as pilgrimshope mentioned :))

One way to remember all this is through Jacob's son Joseph, he of the many-colored coat :D

Joseph was Jacob's first born to Rachel. Ten other sons preceded through Leah (Rachel's sister) and their
handmaidens. That is why Jacob favored him. Benjamin was also later born to Rachel. She then died.

His jealous brothers sold Joseph into captivity rather than killing him. He ended up in Egypt, a very powerful man, put second in command to Pharaoh/king twice, with a stint in prison between after being falsely accused of rape. He got out of jail after interpreting the king's dream properly, and re-instated to a high position. The dream interpretation had to do with a coming seven year famine after seven years of plenty. That's how his family and eventually the Hebrews ended up in Egypt: Egypt was the only nation with food stores, thanks to Joseph. All of Josephs family joined him there. The Hebrews remained in the land for over four hundred years, until Egyptians felt threatened by their presence and enslaved them. Along came Moses...

Please excuse me here as this is my favorite part of Genesis/the Old Testament :D

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Abraham, father of Isaac, who fathered Jacob, who fathered the 12 Jewish name tribes (as pilgrimshope mentioned :))

One way to remember all this is through Jacob's son Joseph, he of the many-colored coat :D

Joseph was Jacob's first born to Rachel. Ten other sons preceded through Leah (Rachel's sister) and their
handmaidens. That is why Jacob favored him. Benjamin was also later born to Rachel. She then died.

His jealous brothers sold Joseph into captivity rather than killing him. He ended up in Egypt, a very powerful man, put second in command to Pharaoh/king twice, with a stint in prison between after being falsely accused of rape. He got out of jail after interpreting the king's dream properly, and re-instated to a high position. The dream interpretation had to do with a coming seven year famine after seven years of plenty. That's how his family and eventually the Hebrews ended up in Egypt: Egypt was the only nation with food stores, thanks to Joseph. All of Josephs family joined him there. The Hebrews remained in the land for over four hundred years, until Egyptians felt threatened by their presence and enslaved them. Along came Moses...

Please excuse me here as this is my favorite part of Genesis/the Old Testament :D
excuse such an edifying post ? Welcome is a the right word

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I just today realized how I threw Sparkygreg off this post. I was getting too much in haste about this chat. Have not had much opportunity to share with anyone before getting on this chat 11 Sept 2022. Maybe this post regarding communion will get it back on track. I really like MacLaren's commentary and it seems to be accurate regarding communion, as far as I can tell. Just one thing though it seems the first time I communed with the Father I had this strange thought about the bread; It was of grammar school church time and thinking that it certainly does not seem right that a person, I'm thinking of the Catholic priest, would bless a piece of bread. I was thinking I'm doing this to recall God's Beloved Son Jesus and today when I read MacLaren's commentary as follows it certainly seems blessing all those wafer in a golden cup is reminiscent of ((((Revelation 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:)))))AND MacLaren commentary on 1 Cor.11;24Do this,’ is the true meaning of the words, not ‘in remembrance of Me,’ but something far more sweet and pathetic-’do this for the remembering of Me.’ The former expression is equal to ‘Do this because you remember.’ The real meaning of the words is, ‘Do this in case you forget’; do this in order that you may recall to memory what the slippery memory is so apt to lose-the impression of even the sweetest sweetness, of the most loving love, and the most self-abnegating sacrifice, which He offered for us. ))))Sparkygreg sorry about my intrusion on communion.
it happens brother

ever notice this

“And Jacob went out from Beer-sheba, and went toward Haran. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac:

the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭28:10, 12-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:51‬ ‭

P

persistent

Thnx Magenta and I see pilgrimshope also likes the post. I get thrown off when anybody mentions these folks because it seems when I hear or read about anything to do at this time of history my brain just starts trying to remember, possibly unnecessarily, if the flood happened about the time of Moses or if the Israelites were in Egypt. I think its' the devil somehow fixed some mental block that I can't get rid of. I really think now what I was told by Demi777 and JTB and also a local AoG person that something about 'strong holds' like at 2 Cor. 10:5 has something to do with it. But sometime I wonder if is actually some brain damage from all the alcohol and maybe even drugs, though drugs I quit at 20 or so. Been straight since '89 but ??? Even use regular wine for communion. one shot....nothing. One of your posts where I couldn't decide the winner is something I am almost sure has something to do with what I am thinking may just be a 'speed bump' here. But even now I can't recall the verse but the phrase, '....fear of death...' is part of it so I can easily search it if I can't find your post. I also need to recall another place where we are told, 'not to make haste'. Plus pilgrimshope seems like he has a lot of Bible knowledge. And I don't often get the old idea, 'this is all a bunch of lunacy what are you doing'. Something I wish I had brought up at AA , which I don't attend any longer and only speak with members on occasion, is about the almost constant sound of eggs frying in my ears. Since I don't go to doctors, last check-up August 1989 when quit drink, sizzling is tolerable anyway and may have been there all life since I just now recall, rejected for draft because of hearing problem. Sorry about going on like crazy person.

P

persistent

it happens brother

ever notice this

“And Jacob went out from Beer-sheba, and went toward Haran. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac:

the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭28:10, 12-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:51‬ ‭
Isn't this where Jacob wrestled with the 'angel'? Just other day came to my mind 'God you have got me pinned down'. And then I thought Jacob wrestled and 'angel'.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
One of your posts where I couldn't decide the winner is something I am almost sure has something
to do with what I am thinking may just be a 'speed bump' here. But even now I can't recall the verse
but the phrase, '....fear of death...' is part of it so I can easily search it if I can't find your post.

Hebrews 2:14-16
:)