What is love?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Love is just an illusion
Depends on the kind of love you're talking about. There are different kinds, and some really are illusory (at best.)

If you think ALL love is an illusion... You need to get out more and meet people. Some of them play a game and use love to get what they want, but there are real people with genuine love. You need to keep meeting people until you find some of them.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
I f True love didnt exist how could we knows its name

S

SimpleSheep

The title reminds me of the song and the song reminds me of this scene. :ROFL:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
love is like drivng a car in many ways

1. Most people think they are experts at it jsut because they been doing it a long time
2. to become better, study how others drive and see what works and what doesnt
3. read the best instruction manuals to make yourself better
4. make sure you are comfortable in the car and well strapped in with good visuals of all the surroundings
I dont drive a car that way!

I have never had people say they are experts at it. Its more like how to navigate the roads, especially city traffic that is the main issue.

I dont study how others drive, I follow the road code when I learned, and had an instructor and got lots of practice.

There is only one road code in NZ.

the fourth one is, I only really feel comfortable driving my own car not other peoples, because I know how to handle my own car. I can drive others but, I am used to driving my own. I have to say though automatic transmission is good for people like me. I learned on a manual, but Im a much better driver on an automatic. I know some like to boast manuals are better, but its just too much to think about changing gears.

also I am not someone who is so vain they refuse to wear glasses, I generally wear them all the time and I have special transitions so it cuts down the glare, yes sometimes you have to face into the sun heading west

The main thing is to observe the speed limits, not get too impatient, and have an idea of where you are going. The more you go places the more familiar you get with roads and traffic conditions.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Oh and read the road signs. They are there for a reason. If you ignore them, its at your cost.
Usually a big parking fee or speeding ticket! if you park in an area you shouldnt, you could get towed away. so dont.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

1. Most people think they are experts at it jsut because they been doing it a long time
4. make sure you are comfortable in the car and well strapped in with good visuals of all the surroundings
5. If you stop paying attention and run off the road, it can be VERY hard to get back on it.

(Mind you, I don't know this from personal experience. I've observed it a lot from others though.)

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022

True love shouldn't be that complicated.

In my estimation, true love is a simple as the following:

60a4bf728696b141f2d9827141bc8bd79608f9b41a43e4ffe9602e7daa5ccd52_1.jpg
Judging by this standard, there are less than 5 people on the face of this earth who love me in any sort of capacity whatsoever...and three of those less than 5 people are my children.

Surprisingly, I'm very content with that.

Mostly because I'm firmly rooted and grounded in the love of Christ.

God's grace is sufficient.

Anyhow, this reality hasn't stopped me from giving love to others, nor will it ever.

Dymes

Dec 11, 2016
Can we control who we love ?
Well it is called falling in love for a reason you think , it’s like an accident , it just happens. When we meet that “one” lots happen in our heart mind and soul .
Love is your delight in seeing others benefit. Love is the commitment of one's self to the good of others - Michael Durham

Love is a commitment & sacrifice. You cannot fall into commitment & sacrifice. You take on commitment and you stay committed.

Falling in love is a worldly idea. Born from emotions and feelings. The scientist even say that there is a portion in the brain that is responsible for love. The problem with this is they make love out of feelings. Which means people fall out of love just as quick as they fall in love. Feelings are not love. Feelings are benefits from love.

Christ didn't "fall in love" with His bride (us). It would be impossible because we were His enemy (Rom 5:10). It says He loves His bride. Meaning He's committed to His bride even though she mistreated Him. He will stay committed, wash her garments, and present her as pure before the father.

At least that's how I see it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I am still puzzled how love can be like driving a car

Does this mean anyone who hasnt got their licence or not got a car cannot love. :unsure:

what about riding bicycles?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I am still puzzled how love can be like driving a car

Does this mean anyone who hasnt got their licence or not got a car cannot love. :unsure:

what about riding bicycles?
Love is like an analogy. If you think too hard about it and push it too far, it falls apart. You need to just roll with it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
so, I should just let my car roll down the hill and crash? I dont think you understand how dangerous the roads can be in nz, windy with blindspots evrywhere and people speeding and drunk, plus the four seasons in one day weather conditions dont help

I wouldnt recommend driving in the city much either...road rage central, congestion and traffic cones for miles

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Plus, if you have a baby on board you need to be extra vigilant, and have a certified car seat. Cant just strap your bub to the wheel or put them in the boot. and if they fall asleep you cant leave them unattended alone or wake them up

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
and tip, rest stops. Dont expect children to hold on for hours and then there car sickness to deal with

Ya love is like driving a car...really? Youve never had to do a 3 point turn to get out of a tight spot or a hill start?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In Nz an accident is not a good thing to happen, its actually a rather STOOPID thing but thankfully we do not sue people or blame others. We just get ACC accident compensation

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
and tip, rest stops. Dont expect children to hold on for hours and then there car sickness to deal with

Ya love is like driving a car...really? Youve never had to do a 3 point turn to get out of a tight spot or a hill start?
Love is like just about anything else in life: If you get bogged down on details you can go off on a tangent and forget why you started messing around with it in the first place. :oops:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sorry
the way people drive in nz leaves a lot to be desired

Ive just known too many people dying in horrific car crashes, or badly injured and suffering whiplash to think that love is like driving a car, not to mention people who commited autocide or poisoned themselves by breathing in carbon monoxide

mens obssesion with cars also might mean they love their cars MORE than the passengers themselves
so its never been a great analogy

its like the boat men love boats right but talk to any man whos maried with a boat and you'll find a boat widow because he spends waaay too much time and money on the boat

haha

why not just say love is love
or hold on thats what the LBTQs say

or God is Love?