What is Masculinity?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If his "man bun" is done up nicer than my "mom bun",
if his nails are whiter, filed nicer, and buffed shinier than mine,
and if his chest is bigger than mine,
well then that's just a "pretty man/boy" and certainly NOT masculine (IMHO)
Hmm... I remember a certain famous woman who said (of a certain famous man) "I refuse to date a man with boobs bigger than mine."

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
Someone said in another thread the Jesus was loving and caring, well he was but in a masculine way. Masculinity walks with a purpose and thats what Jesus did.
Yeah, and here is that "purpose":

Ephesians chapter 5

[22] Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
[23] For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
[24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
[25] Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
[26] That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
[27] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
[28] So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
[29] For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
[30] For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
[31] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
[32] This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
[33] Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Good luck (not that I believe in luck) finding someone who is genuinely interested in that type of "masculinity".

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
interesting that no man hates his own flesh, but women seem to hate their own bodies - so many women complain about their own bodies whether too fat or wrinkly or spotty or whatever

anorexia, bulimia and cutting/self harm seem prevalent amongst a certain types of young women
but that doesnt men may not suffer from those disorders as well.

Not sure why a lot of women cant seem to love their own bodies like men do.
I have this picture book in the library aimed at girls/young women and its called LOVE YOUR BODY.

why? Because you dont need a man or anyone else to tell you what your body is or to love it. You can love your own body and appreciate it for what it is. God made it amazing so no complaining.

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
Yeah, and here is that "purpose":

Ephesians chapter 5

[22] Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
[23] For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
[24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
[25] Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
[26] That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
[27] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
[28] So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
[29] For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
[30] For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
[31] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
[32] This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
[33] Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Good luck (not that I believe in luck) finding someone who is genuinely interested in that type of "masculinity".
Look Im just an ordinary person. I dont expect any man to tick all my boxes nor can I do that for a man. We have to work with what we do have not with what we want to have.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Masculinity is all the people who are members of Tier 1 Heaven.
‘That’s where THE BEST reside.
C606C09E-8DDF-4154-969E-3817D8A44BF4.jpeg

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Masculinity is all the people who are members of Tier 1 Heaven.
‘That’s where THE BEST reside.
View attachment 242498
Carl, Arnold, and the entire original squad from Predator (which I'm guessing this picture was taken from) are surely Tier 1 material. 🤣

After all, they don't even have time to bleed. 💪

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
:eek:

Hey, dems fightin words...lol.

Im just an ordinary person. I dont expect any man to tick all my boxes nor can I do that for a man. We have to work with what we do have not with what we want to have.
I've run out of brainpower for the night.

I'll talk to you more tomorrow (Lord willing).

Just know that I'm not picking on you. You'll understand that when I have more time to explain.

Have a blessed night.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
"Jesus wept" is what you call masculinity? God has both masculine and feminine qualities. To say 'look to God' to know what either one is isn't sufficient because He has both. Which side of God is masculine and which side is feminine? What is masculinity? What does the world say it is? What do you say it is? What does God say it is? What is it in fact?
I see this far too often......sigh

Please list the "feminine" qualities God displays.

I am so very tired of people trying to UNISEX God

God is a SPIRIT! And to worship Him, we must worship Him in spirit and TRUTH!

God IS NOT HUMAN! We are created in His image. That image being our eternal spirits...and our being triune creations. Body, soul, spirit. Just as God is a Triune God Father, Son, Holy Ghost......

Please do not try to UNISEX God. I assure you, He will not be pleased with you.

Apr 15, 2022
USA
I see this far too often......sigh

Please list the "feminine" qualities God displays.

I am so very tired of people trying to UNISEX God

God is a SPIRIT! And to worship Him, we must worship Him in spirit and TRUTH!

God IS NOT HUMAN! We are created in His image. That image being our eternal spirits...and our being triune creations. Body, soul, spirit. Just as God is a Triune God Father, Son, Holy Ghost......

Please do not try to UNISEX God. I assure you, He will not be pleased with you.
Relax and stop pulling out your hair. Firstly, God made man and woman in His Image which automatically means that since man and woman came from God, then within God is the masculine and the feminine. You can look up the original language used in the Bible and do some googling and you might also start finding the Holy Spirit and the human soul (the soul of both men and women) both referred to in the feminine. That's all I have to say. If you respond without doing your own research, you'll just prove you only want to argue. And I'll put you on ignore. I'm here to blow right through, not to waste my time.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
And here all this time I thought masculinity was all about the size of truck you drove....

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
And here all this time I thought masculinity was all about the size of truck you drove....
Get with the times man! Now it's about the size of the ammo your assault rifle uses.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Get with the times man! Now it's about the size of the ammo your assault rifle uses.
See....I always thought that was compensating for having too many steroids as a teenager. Big rifle, little gun....because real men use their fists like Chuck Norris.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
See....I always thought that was compensating for having too many steroids as a teenager. Big rifle, little gun....because real men use their fists like Chuck Norris.
It's all nuts and bolts. You need them to keep the wheels on the cart moving properly.

(Replying handily to both Lynx and JohnDB at the same time with one answer)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
It's all nuts and bolts. You need them to keep the wheels on the cart moving properly.

(Replying handily to both Lynx and JohnDB at the same time with one answer)
Well I've been told I'm nuts. Now we just need someone speedy who can bolt. =^.^=

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I've got a whole shelf of old Robert E. Howard Conan and other Uber masculine hero books of fiction. Howard was the grandfather of the masculine warrior hero genre' that the whole category of writers try to aspire to but never quite achieve. That's fiction.

Here's one example of true masculinity in a Nonfiction book inspired by the Almighty LORD of Hosts (Armies).

https://thekingjamesversionbible.com/1-samuel-14

It leaves the Robert E. Howard list of books and heros in the dust.

Mar 27, 2020
"Masculinity is real, natural, and biological. Toxic masculinity is a performance invented to reinforce it. Toxic masculinity is built on two fundamental pillars: sexual conquest and violence—qualities men regale as manly and virtuous"

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
Online its just Big words 🤣