What is Scripture?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Polar

thank you for your kind words, you are like me in search of the truth.

We are commanded to ""test or put to the test" knowledge and be certain that it follows the words of GOD, I am in the pursuit of the truth about everything in the bible, I question everything look at the origins of texts, I want to know Who wrote what and for what reason etc...If I am nor completely certain will omit books or writings of the bible until I can prove them right . It is my training as a scientist and the love of GOD that compels me to do so..

GOD commands us to be truthful, i will not follow blindly the majority and be wrong even if everyone is against me, I will defend the truth always.

Whoever attacked you are wrong to do so and are NOT Christians!

Blessings,
Whoever attacked you are wrong to do so and are NOT Christians!
Really? You want to take that up with God? You are accusing believers of not being followers of Christ. No matter how heated or disagreeable a thread may be, no one has the right to accuse another of not being a believer. Watch your words because I am pretty sure that is against the terms of service in this forum.

P

Polar

So no answer to my question, then. Got it. Thanks.
Do you know what a Gish gallop is?

The Gish gallop is a rhetorical technique that involves overwhelming your opponent with as many arguments as possible, with no regard for the accuracy, validity, or relevance of those arguments. For example, a person using the Gish gallop might attempt to support their stance by bringing up, in rapid succession, a large number of vague claims, anecdotal statements, misinterpreted facts, and irrelevant comments.

That's you.

I am stating that you seem to be strong on irrelevancy and weak on facts.

Jesusfollower

Oct 21, 2021
jamaica
You sound like a kid going nah nah nah nah. This thread is 7 pages long and this post is #140. Several people here, including myself, have given this proof you find so evasive and you, Mr Jesus Follower, ignore it. Kindly don't create nah nah posts at me again. You have nothing to offer as to why you believe the NT is not scripture, so unless and until you do, there is no point in responding to someone who ignores all that has transpired and offers a repetitive nothing burger.
I believe some books in the new test may not be scriptures, not the whole new testament, as for your answer give me the post no and i will certainly look at it carefully.

peace and thank you.

JF

P

Polar

I believe some books in the new test may not be scriptures, not the whole new testament, as for your answer give me the post no and i will certainly look at it carefully.

peace and thank you.

JF
Not going to do yr homework for you. It is not just my posts. Kindly go back over the thread.

FYI, there is a trend today to discredit some of the NT books. It seems you are a card carrying member of that club. So you may call it your belief, but I am thinking you have been persuaded by those who believe that way.

Jesusfollower

Oct 21, 2021
jamaica
Really? You want to take that up with God? You are accusing believers of not being followers of Christ. No matter how heated or disagreeable a thread may be, no one has the right to accuse another of not being a believer. Watch your words because I am pretty sure that is against the terms of service in this forum.
Oh! So you are the one...LOL
Peace!
JF
Not going to do yr homework for you. It is not just my posts. Kindly go back over the thread.

FYI, there is a trend today to discredit some of the NT books. It seems you are a card carrying member of that club. So you may call it your belief, but I am thinking you have been persuaded by those who believe that way.

You never answer anything do you? i went back to the threads and all i could find is you always being angry at everything and everybody this behavior is not christian like. Sorry i have to reprimand you like a kid but you need it. I am aware of this movement to discredit the NT and do not agree with it, the new testament is very complex and paul's letters sometimes are confusing and contradicting. but most parts very legitimate. The new testament for the most part is inspired by GOD but some may not be I an preparing a thread to explain but it is a lot of work and I do want it to be truthful and based on scriptures.

if we, all together, could have a frank discussion in a peaceful way in these threads, we could move forward and learn more.

Peace and blessings to you old grumpy Polar bear.

JF

P

Polar

Oh! So you are the one...LOL
Peace!
JF

You never answer anything do you? i went back to the threads and all i could find is you always being angry at everything and everybody this behavior is not christian like. Sorry i have to reprimand you like a kid but you need it. I am aware of this movement to discredit the NT and do not agree with it, the new testament is very complex and paul's letters sometimes are confusing and contradicting. but most parts very legitimate. The new testament for the most part is inspired by GOD but some may not be I an preparing a thread to explain but it is a lot of work and I do want it to be truthful and based on scriptures.

if we, all together, could have a frank discussion in a peaceful way in these threads, we could move forward and learn more.

Peace and blessings to you old grumpy Polar bear.

JF
I don't have an ignore list, but, thanks to you, I am starting one. I might be a Polar Bear, but far from grumpy and not old. I just have a very low toleration rate for people who...throw manure at you and call it a response.

Jesusfollower

Oct 21, 2021
jamaica
I don't have an ignore list, but, thanks to you, I am starting one. I might be a Polar Bear, but far from grumpy and not old. I just have a very low toleration rate for people who...throw manure at you and call it a response.
Not grumpy? your words prove otherwise. in any case, please ignore me I would like that.

Have a long and fruitful life Polar bear,

Jf

Mar 4, 2020
Do you know what a Gish gallop is?

The Gish gallop is a rhetorical technique that involves overwhelming your opponent with as many arguments as possible, with no regard for the accuracy, validity, or relevance of those arguments. For example, a person using the Gish gallop might attempt to support their stance by bringing up, in rapid succession, a large number of vague claims, anecdotal statements, misinterpreted facts, and irrelevant comments.

That's you.

I am stating that you seem to be strong on irrelevancy and weak on facts.
Ah I see. You think you can falsely accuse me of something and that I’ll need to defend myself. This way you can keep me distracted from the main point of this thread. I’ve seen your technique a lot. At this point your best hope is to try to defame and smear my character to attempt to reduce my credibility. I see right through you. You’ve lost.

You still got no verses.

Mar 4, 2020

Just btw, this thread is not an attempt to discredit the New Testament.

My belief is that God prefers honesty and genuineness. We must occasionally confront some uncomfortable truths in pursuit of that

My humble suggestion is that anyone who reads this at least be aware that the Old Testament or New Testament never explicitly refers to anything in the New Testament letters as scripture.

Mar 4, 2020
Wow. Normally gaslighting is much more subtle than this.

Jan 12, 2022
Let me first preface my response with that I agree that the New Testament is holy writ scripture. That should keep the mockers at bay, I hope.

Now, what verse actually calls Pauls letters, Peter's letters, or any other letter in the New Testament scripture? I'm not asking about the one in 2 Peter 3:16 where you have to jump through hoops to infer and interpret that Peter called Paul's writing scriptures, but rather where does it say "Paul's writings are scripture" or "Peter's writing are scripture?" If we're honest with ourselves and each other we'll see that it doesn't exist. I also disagree that Peter meant to call Paul's writing scripture when he explicitly referred to them as letters.

Now, the New Testament refers to the Old Testament writings many times as scriptures and quotes them often. We can easily say the Old Testament is scripture because the Bible references itself to prove that. The same can't be said regarding the New Testament and that's just a fact proven by the clear lack of verses to reference by you and everyone else in this thread who claims otherwise.
Peter affirms Paul, his writings, and that Paul's letters are hard for some to understand, but even with that caveat he affirms Paul and his writings belong to the authentic Christianity.. This all affirms Paul belongs to them, as well as both Paul and Peter being known to be on the same side and having encounters also in book of Acts. The events and such in book of Acts then feed into Gospel accounts which of course all support the Old Testament. The Bibe is an entire understood canon even back to the times of the apostles.