What is The difference between BORN AGAIN and REPENT

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 20, 2020
my question is this .....

what is the difference explanation between BORN AGAIN and REPENT ?

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
There is much confusion about these terms. I recommend watching a series by David Pawson to assist with your understanding of them. It’s called The Key Steps to Becoming a Christian. Here is the first in the seven-part series.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Born Again:

Born again. To beget again or anagennáō ("born again, from above") (1 Pet 1:3,23) – both times referring to God regenerating a believer (giving a supernatural, new birth).

Webster's 1828 dictionary says
To be born or born again, is to be regenerated and renewed; to receive spiritual life. John 3:3.

Repent: to regret, repent

Usage: (lit: I change one care or interest for another), I change my mind (generally for the better), repent, regret.

3338 metaméllomai (from 3326 /metá, "change after being with," and 3199 /mélō, "care, be concerned with") – properly, to experience a change of concern after a change of emotion and usually implying to regret, i.e. falling into emotional remorse afterwards (note the force of 3326 /metá).

Webster's 1828 dictionary says
REPENT'
, verb intransitive [Latin re and paeniteo, from paena, pain. Gr. See Pain.]

1. To feel pain, sorrow or regret for something done or spoken; as, to repent that we have lost much time in idleness or sensual pleasure; to repent that we have injured or wounded the feelings of a friend. A person repents only of what he himself has done or said.

2. To express sorrow for something past.

Enobarbus did before thy face repent

3. To change the mind in consequence of the inconvenience or injury done by past conduct.

Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return. Exodus 13:17.

4. Applied to the Supreme Being, to change the course of providential dealings. Genesis 6:7. Psalms 106:45.

5. In theology, to sorrow or be pained for sin, as a violation of God's holy law, a dishonor to his character and government, and the foulest ingratitude to a Being of infinite benevolence.

Except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish. Luke 13:3. Acts 3:19.

Repentance comes before being spiritually born again. People have to first believe and this comes from hearing the Word.
Romans 10:17 New International Version (NIV) 17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Out of hearing the word this sheds light on our sins and imperfections as we begin to believe Jesus and why we need Jesus. We repent out of sorrow or pain (notice repent and pain are similar) for our sin, as a violation of God's holy law, a dishonor to his character and government, and the foulest ingratitude to a Being of infinite benevolence. We ultimately confess Jesus as Lord and Savior who is our only hope.

It is typically a knee bending and sorrowful moment that gloriously leads to a born again experience where the believer finds spiritual peace, forgiveness, and a fire lit within that others will automatically notice a difference.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Hello and welcome to CC, Smithadiele,
"Repent" is something you can (and should) do, each time you become aware that you have committed a sinful act or entertained a sinful thought. "Born again" is a one-time change that God brings about in you when you initially repent and trust in Jesus Christ for salvation.

I prefer to distinguish between initial repentance which is part of the process of salvation, and ongoing repentance. Both include the acknowledgement before God that you have sinned, both call upon Him to cleanse you of sin, and both result in the cleansing of your conscience, but ongoing repentance results in restoration of righteous status, while initial repentance results in declaration of righteous status.

Jan 1, 2020
to repent is to see that what you have done is an offence to God, and to agree with God that it is wrong. ask his forgiveness, and turn from it with all you mind, and heart. promising to never do it again!
being born again is when the Holy spirit enters into your heart and changes it! He changes you from a sinful being to a holy being. He reomoves the very desire for sin! and heals your body and mind. this means that if you were a drug addict before: you are no longer a drug addict now! if you were an alcolholic before, you are no longer an alcoholic now. if you were a lyer, and and a thief, you no longer are a lyer and a thief! you have been given a brand new charachter. you are a brand new being! If you have not had this type of experiance with God: you are not yet born again!

david

CS1

May 23, 2012

repenting is what you do in returning to God

Born again is the term Jesus used in John chapter 3 about one whose life has been changed by a new Birth of the Holy Spirit.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
my prayer is you will know both...
repentence comes before being born again.

Your part is to repent, Gods part is to make you a new creature by breathing new life into you.
repentence not only means changing your mind, it means a change of heart.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
These are two entirely different things which are related to one another. Repentance means a total TURNING AWAY from sins and idols (with sorrow for past sins) and TURNING TO God and Christ by faith. When a sinner repents he or she receives the gift of the Holy Spirit. And it is God the Holy Spirit who regenerates a sinner. Thus a person is born again (or born of the Spirit, born from above, born of God). This results in a new nature which is subject to God.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
to repent is to see that what you have done is an offence to God, and to agree with God that it is wrong. ask his forgiveness, and turn from it with all you mind, and heart. promising to never do it again!
being born again is when the Holy spirit enters into your heart and changes it! He changes you from a sinful being to a holy being. He reomoves the very desire for sin! and heals your body and mind. this means that if you were a drug addict before: you are no longer a drug addict now! if you were an alcolholic before, you are no longer an alcoholic now. if you were a lyer, and and a thief, you no longer are a lyer and a thief! you have been given a brand new charachter. you are a brand new being! If you have not had this type of experiance with God: you are not yet born again!

david
I will agree that our spirit should not desire to sin, but consider Romans chapter 7 (particularly beginning in vs 16)

So you would say that anyone that falls into sin after being born again wasn't ever saved to begin with?

There's a bit more I'd like to say but perhaps after reading that you could expand a bit before I jump on you needlessly :p

There are tons of "less powerful" (to me they are equally powerful if not more so) stories of people that got angry, curious, arrogant or what have you. Rebelled and returned to the Lord. You see this story in the OT lots. Do you think the Lord would have said this so consistently in the OT if it were impossible? Of course...grace, mercy, repentance and forgiveness are a part of this process but it looks different for each believer. It should definitely follow the format of scripture though, if it doesn't and there is no conviction ever or desire to not sin or even knowing what sin is...then certainly questions could be raised.

No I don't want to get into a long discussion about pre-incarnate messiah OT forgiveness, mercy, and grace differ. I think they foreshadow splendidly and if you peer through that lens, even unfaithful sons and daughters that play the harlot with the enemy...the Lord "can" forgive. Some though are destroyed. There are plenty of scriptures in the NT about who will not inherit and very clear warnings. You also have the verse about "re-crucifying" Christ (I looked and I read it in the last few days but cannot recall where precisely). Tons of that sort also.

Each is to work out his own salvation. For one to "fall intentionally" would be swift destruction...and for another a long process of reaping what you sow...and for another instant deliverance like a child running out into traffic. It's between you and the Lord.

As to repentance, I only am willing to say that forgiveness is a part of the equation. I have been feeling lately that forgiving yourself for your transgressions is important. What I mean is, if you don't forgive neither will the Lord forgive you...so if forgiveness is there but you won't receive it because you are unwilling to forgive yourself then potentially that is something to examine. This may not be many people's experience but I've always had a guilty conscience. Even sins from my childhood come up occasionally as a long string of offenses and why the Lord should not forgive me though of course I have repented and said I'm sorry and there is constant progress (sanctification methinks)...but then how have I if this line of offenses exist? So I am depraved and request punishment, but eternal damnation? Rejecting the mercy and love of the cross to pay for my own sin? Nonsense...I'm not going to put to words further expansion of this mentality but it ends up more often than not that I realize how I don't deserve it and I really want to be with the Lord for eternity and that Jesus made a way for me to do that. So I ask for forgiveness and thank him for his grace. Focus on crucifying my flesh and move on. After all, I can at least see how I've made progress when I am in doubt and it's only in those moments that the former things come to mind.

Could be that I give ear to the accuser and it's only been over the last year that I've just realized I can't advocate in the court of heaven. HE is my advocate and the prosecution shreds me without him. I like the legal side but umm I'm not the propitiation and even knowing that I can't argue with the prosecution or speak in my own defense without my counselor guiding me. I'm reasonably confident that I've recused myself many times before the Lord. That "legal" guilt is something that is always around me, but I think today I may have come to realize that's the law of sin and death at work within my flesh. For some time I've thought of guilt as human (my flesh) but conviction in my spirit from the Lord...but err it's a constant battle.

It requires of me often humbling myself, leaving my pride by my side and become undignified and saying I am unworthy but Thank you Jesus.

So yeah, I read romans 7 a bit differently today and while I am unwilling to completely ignore the law of sin and death at work in my flesh...because I'm shrouded within it like a rotting corpse. I at least know that it's not forever and it will pass :)