What is your mission?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have been to the mission field. The Lord sent me to Oakland, California, to a newly started mission just spun off another. It took a while for the missionary to accept me, but when she did we incorporated it with its own charter. WE got into drug rehabilitation. Men, women and children of drug rebounds all in their own specific homes [within the mission]. View attachment 202611
What kind of drugs, or is it just all kinds. P has become the main scourge here.

AgapeShellArt

Nov 21, 2018
Is it to spread the gospel or is it just to get married.

And has anyone here been on mission trips, if so, can you share what its like. Thanks would love to know. How do you know when and where you are called?
This life is a mission trip and we are called to live every day, every moment in pray and worship of God.

We are called to glorify Him and praise him.

Some are called to marry and others to remain single, but Jesus accepts us in whatever state He finds us in.

We are called to show God's love.

For me, God is teaching me the importance of just being in his presence and just listening. Being at peace because I don't have to savior the world, just point people to the One who already has

God has taught me to slow down and stop trying to do my own thing but instead look and listen and see where God wants me to be. Who God wants me to meet.

It's not about what you do, but the love you have in your heart as the reason why you do anything.

We only truly know how to love because He first loved us.

So I believe God calls all His children to this mission field called Earth and our present day life because we are just sorjourners walking back home to Him. Perhaps we can help one another and show God's love in real ways.

Do you take time to see your brothers and sisters and say a word of encouragement about how God's light is shining through them?

Do you see someone crying and take the time to listen and pray instead of trying to get them to stop by giving platitudes or your own solutions?

Do you show God's love every day by what you say and do?

We aren't perfect but if we can bring light or oil to one soul, doesn't it make our own day brighter.

We can always find ways to bear one another's burdens and make friends who will share the same

Hope you have a blessed day

AgapeShellArt

Nov 21, 2018
I only read a few of the responses, but the Bible verses about how there are different parts of the Body of Christ come to mind.

Some jobs don't seem glamorous, but if done in love and for God then there will be fruit.

However, not all church are good and truly devoted to the Gospel. Some are filled with wolves who just want to fleece the sheep.

The Bible warns of this too.

Personally, I don't feel called to be an evangelist but I hope that people will see how God has changed me and know His love for them through my words and actions.

If you want to be a missionary, then pray. You don't have to have alot of money and God will open doors of that is where He wants you

However ask God, where it is He really wants you.

Paul studied for three years before going on his first missionary journey.

Sometimes God tells us to wait because He may have things to teach us or may be lining up the money or the people He wants us to meet.

We just pray and follow God.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I explored missions and did a whole course on it but basically what they told us is that you need lots of money, which the missions board will dole out to you, insurance, and often you will end up just looking after the children of missionaries who are all privately schooled and not actually reaching out to the people of the country you are going.

One of the ladies at church lived in india as part of a missions team and never actually reached out to any indians there. I was like so did you tell others the gospel and have many people convert. And she said no not one. ?! I thought maybe she would have amzaing testimonies of people coming to Christ but she didnt even talk or live amongst any people who were not already christians just her own compound. How can you live like that and say thats mission and just not spread the gospel. . I dont understand that, but thats what happens.

And people on missions boards usually just want people to do admin and send money. Not saying admin isnt important but keeping accounts am not sure that really qualifies as reaching out. Its actually easy to send money, or work for other christians in their own worlds but harder to go yourself and care and be with the people who arent christians. Cos how can they even relate to you if you dont really experience what they experience? I could be wrong though, maybe being a nanny or cook or gardener to privelighed christians childrens overseas is mission...?

Ah... so you're just asking questions so you can take issue with the people who respond. Glad we got that cleared up, saves me anymore time trying to have a discussion with you.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I explored missions and did a whole course on it but basically what they told us is that you need lots of money, which the missions board will dole out to you, insurance, and often you will end up just looking after the children of missionaries who are all privately schooled and not actually reaching out to the people of the country you are going.

One of the ladies at church lived in india as part of a missions team and never actually reached out to any indians there. I was like so did you tell others the gospel and have many people convert. And she said no not one. ?! I thought maybe she would have amzaing testimonies of people coming to Christ but she didnt even talk or live amongst any people who were not already christians just her own compound. How can you live like that and say thats mission and just not spread the gospel. . I dont understand that, but thats what happens.

And people on missions boards usually just want people to do admin and send money. Not saying admin isnt important but keeping accounts am not sure that really qualifies as reaching out. Its actually easy to send money, or work for other christians in their own worlds but harder to go yourself and care and be with the people who arent christians. Cos how can they even relate to you if you dont really experience what they experience? I could be wrong though, maybe being a nanny or cook or gardener to privelighed christians childrens overseas is mission...?
I would encourage you to check out a few other denominations then. AG is very missions oriented.

Also as an umbrella you can check out YWAM. There aren't any age requirements that I'm aware of, but I'm not yet 30 so possibly I overlooked them. As with any mission group though, you have to keep in mind your own belief system...be open to new revelation but closed to things that don't line up with your spirit. There are certain things in YWAM I'm pretty on the fence about...some of that involves becoming well versed in the religion of that particular country.

My brother got invited to a Ramadan feast in YWAM and called and asked if he should go. I'll leave that to your own discretion and personally I see NO reason why you would need to understand their religion to that extent unless you feel STRONGLY that is how the Lord wants you to be used, and of course to spend a lot of time in prayer about it.

I will note that it was not "required".

He is currently overseas for like 2-3 months. His total start up was around 5k for a 6 month program. To me that's not unreasonable.

MOST of the cost of mission trips is airfare. That's why short terms are so expensive. If you extend it to 6 weeks+ it's not any more expensive than day to day costs beyond the initial airfare...in fact sometimes it can be cheaper.

I haven't ever heard of a mission trip like what you have described. I would have some words to say with that organization. Tons of info I can provide. I'm thinking about it myself and found a place in Peru that I can go that has housing and is $500/mo. for as long as you feel led to stay (of course airfare not included :p )

I do feel you on your own backyard being a mission but America is so unlike most places in the world. Doing ministry in the church is all well and good but I want to lead someone to Jesus and the soil isn't fertile here it seems. I've just had so many doors slammed in my face. People already "know"...

If you feel like this is your mission field and that's what the Lord wants...WOOOHOOO! :D

To answer the OP though on how do you know. I'm not sure at present. I know that I went when I was 16 and loved it more than anything I've ever done. We did street ministry (human videos, tracts, worship, and convo) and these people owned a coffee shop that was just a meeting place. People shared their testimonies. Usual stuff.

I did recall a man that was like a street-wise and now knowing more or less what I'm like the memories I have of people just off that one trip is helpful in realizing there are many styles and it takes all types. I was also encouraged by a guy that led small groups when I was like 14 that also went on it and he wouldn't hang out with our "group" when we were on buses and stuff. He would strike up conversations with locals and thinking back that's exactly what I do...maybe a soil softener? Except I don't see that in scripture unless possibly it's tilling. Not sure.

So yeah, I know I like it, but I didn't want to go back until I was sure it was the Lord. I'm still not, but am seriously considering it once again because I want to start from the ground up with people that haven't ever heard. Plant churches and just do ministry work in areas where it's like an answered prayer to people. I have had dreams about talking to missionaries but I take dreams with a grain of salt.

Getting a bit long (as per usual alas) but usually you have to reach out on your own if you want to not participate in "christian tourism" and actually want to do "missions". So like look through AG, Baptist, Church of God missionaries that they support. Reach out to one of the missionaries and plan a trip and state your intentions of why you don't really want to go on a church sponsored one and ask them about your concerns. On your own there is far less red tape. You just need a passport and a visa I think if you are staying past a certain amount of time. I'm sure they'd meet you at the airport and apprise you of places you shouldn't really go to for safety reasons.

Honestly if you have a heart for the lost going and living with a missionary for a bit is a great way to talk about that. In my experience, other than new believers that are passionate, people don't have a burden for evangelism that becomes a lifestyle. That burning desire and urgency only comes from the Lord though and not everyone has it that way.

There are also sub focuses of missions. Like a church building trip (for people that like to build), Well-digging trips, Optometry trips, Dentistry trips. Gardening/farming is very much in need in a lot of these places.

Sooo many of them are 2 week and are basically vacations with a smattering of ministry outreaches. It's a good way to get a feel for whether or not you like being in another country though, and to perceive a need. Kind of like a simulation.

Well alright...finishing up! I promise. In the end, I don't think there's any harm to going on one, other than confusion if you feel torn like I do about where to be when I see multiple needs. There are low cost alternatives like Alaska or Mexico...you can take a bus to mexico.

Thanks for bring up the topic...got me to flesh out some of the things I've been feeling about it. I always wanted to have a church on a hillside in some remote country far removed from America but that was too picture perfect so I just shrugged it off and focused on what was here. I am rethinking my position ha.

Edit: took a gander at another post. I disagree with the money just spontaneously appearing. It "can". But you could also work for a year and save 10% to be used for that purpose. Paul was self funded for the most part...the others were not. Just something to consider. I've not gone because the money didn't come through and I was like "well why can't I work a job for it" No reason you can't. Unless someone shows me the money thing in the word I don't consider that a signal.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I would encourage you to check out a few other denominations then. AG is very missions oriented.

Also as an umbrella you can check out YWAM. There aren't any age requirements that I'm aware of, but I'm not yet 30 so possibly I overlooked them. As with any mission group though, you have to keep in mind your own belief system...be open to new revelation but closed to things that don't line up with your spirit. There are certain things in YWAM I'm pretty on the fence about...some of that involves becoming well versed in the religion of that particular country.

My brother got invited to a Ramadan feast in YWAM and called and asked if he should go. I'll leave that to your own discretion and personally I see NO reason why you would need to understand their religion to that extent unless you feel STRONGLY that is how the Lord wants you to be used, and of course to spend a lot of time in prayer about it.

I will note that it was not "required".

He is currently overseas for like 2-3 months. His total start up was around 5k for a 6 month program. To me that's not unreasonable.

MOST of the cost of mission trips is airfare. That's why short terms are so expensive. If you extend it to 6 weeks+ it's not any more expensive than day to day costs beyond the initial airfare...in fact sometimes it can be cheaper.

I haven't ever heard of a mission trip like what you have described. I would have some words to say with that organization. Tons of info I can provide. I'm thinking about it myself and found a place in Peru that I can go that has housing and is $500/mo. for as long as you feel led to stay (of course airfare not included :p )

I do feel you on your own backyard being a mission but America is so unlike most places in the world. Doing ministry in the church is all well and good but I want to lead someone to Jesus and the soil isn't fertile here it seems. I've just had so many doors slammed in my face. People already "know"...

If you feel like this is your mission field and that's what the Lord wants...WOOOHOOO! :D

To answer the OP though on how do you know. I'm not sure at present. I know that I went when I was 16 and loved it more than anything I've ever done. We did street ministry (human videos, tracts, worship, and convo) and these people owned a coffee shop that was just a meeting place. People shared their testimonies. Usual stuff.

I did recall a man that was like a street-wise and now knowing more or less what I'm like the memories I have of people just off that one trip is helpful in realizing there are many styles and it takes all types. I was also encouraged by a guy that led small groups when I was like 14 that also went on it and he wouldn't hang out with our "group" when we were on buses and stuff. He would strike up conversations with locals and thinking back that's exactly what I do...maybe a soil softener? Except I don't see that in scripture unless possibly it's tilling. Not sure.

So yeah, I know I like it, but I didn't want to go back until I was sure it was the Lord. I'm still not, but am seriously considering it once again because I want to start from the ground up with people that haven't ever heard. Plant churches and just do ministry work in areas where it's like an answered prayer to people. I have had dreams about talking to missionaries but I take dreams with a grain of salt.

Getting a bit long (as per usual alas) but usually you have to reach out on your own if you want to not participate in "christian tourism" and actually want to do "missions". So like look through AG, Baptist, Church of God missionaries that they support. Reach out to one of the missionaries and plan a trip and state your intentions of why you don't really want to go on a church sponsored one and ask them about your concerns. On your own there is far less red tape. You just need a passport and a visa I think if you are staying past a certain amount of time. I'm sure they'd meet you at the airport and apprise you of places you shouldn't really go to for safety reasons.

Honestly if you have a heart for the lost going and living with a missionary for a bit is a great way to talk about that. In my experience, other than new believers that are passionate, people don't have a burden for evangelism that becomes a lifestyle. That burning desire and urgency only comes from the Lord though and not everyone has it that way.

There are also sub focuses of missions. Like a church building trip (for people that like to build), Well-digging trips, Optometry trips, Dentistry trips. Gardening/farming is very much in need in a lot of these places.

Sooo many of them are 2 week and are basically vacations with a smattering of ministry outreaches. It's a good way to get a feel for whether or not you like being in another country though, and to perceive a need. Kind of like a simulation.

Well alright...finishing up! I promise. In the end, I don't think there's any harm to going on one, other than confusion if you feel torn like I do about where to be when I see multiple needs. There are low cost alternatives like Alaska or Mexico...you can take a bus to mexico.

Thanks for bring up the topic...got me to flesh out some of the things I've been feeling about it. I always wanted to have a church on a hillside in some remote country far removed from America but that was too picture perfect so I just shrugged it off and focused on what was here. I am rethinking my position ha.

Edit: took a gander at another post. I disagree with the money just spontaneously appearing. It "can". But you could also work for a year and save 10% to be used for that purpose. Paul was self funded for the most part...the others were not. Just something to consider. I've not gone because the money didn't come through and I was like "well why can't I work a job for it" No reason you can't. Unless someone shows me the money thing in the word I don't consider that a signal.
This missions course i went on was actually american based and assumed everyone had money to go on them. It was called persepctives and was very western centric. Which is a shame cos it totally ignored the cost of going from nz which isnt like you can just hop over the border. Most of the missions boards were like, you have to beg everyone else for money to go, instead of wroking hard and saving for it. Which is kinda weird considering of God wants you to go, He will provide the ways and means to get there without you having to ask anyone else. Why because Its His mission and if He calls you to go, nothing will hinder it.

Im a bit wary of those short term missions I think in the right context they are ok but in many ways they just use young people and spit them out, to be honest. Why dont they ask older people who may be retired, have the time and wanting to volunteer. Its also a commitment and peoole need to be willing to count the cost.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
For nzers the world comes to our doorstep, we dont have to go to theirs. So basically the teachers were saying dont waste money going overseas reach out to all the people immgrating and coming to these lands, especially refugees.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yes AOG seems like the church that had more missions vibrancy than any others recently.
Presys are connected with YWAM which has its good and bad points.
baptists have their own missionary society but concentrate on certain areas and raise funds for them . Looking at their history they used to be rather insular and late in coming to missions and totally neglected the needs of indigineous peoples who they thought well they heard the gospel, but neglected to really grow and support the churches that sprang from those efforts. Thats become better in recent years which is encouraging.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My mission ministry was from '85 to '92 so it was mainly crack at that time. I more recently have ministered in special needs children here in Oklahoma. View attachment 202614
There are so many special needs children in mainstream schools now. Teacher aides are always needed but they have the lowest pay and the hardest job. Im not sure why theres so many but we live in a fallen world and toxic chemicals present in the atmosphere affect babies brains in so many ways people are unaware of.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont do minsitry in church its out in the world. I have never considered the minsitries that some churches does for its own people, very effective and its usually only to the children of parents who belong to the church.

If the church isnt willing to reach out to its community who are not yet believers, its just a social club.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Yes AOG seems like the church that had more missions vibrancy than any others recently.
Presys are connected with YWAM which has its good and bad points.
baptists have their own missionary society but concentrate on certain areas and raise funds for them . Looking at their history they used to be rather insular and late in coming to missions and totally neglected the needs of indigineous peoples who they thought well they heard the gospel, but neglected to really grow and support the churches that sprang from those efforts. Thats become better in recent years which is encouraging.
I didn't realize you were in NZ. That does complicate things, and you would get a lot of visitors...unfortunately mostly somewhat affluent visitors? Emigrating or going to NZ is so far out of my price range...although it does look BOOtiful.

The only thing I can think of near there as far as indigenous people is the aborigines but it's probs expensive to fly from NZ to AUS. It would be an adventure though :)

I feel you on the "social" club thing. At the same time, I wouldn't knock insular christian communities too much.,,it could be they just need someone to tell them. Usually there are almost "hidden ministries" where a pastor goes and visits hospitals, takes care of widows, participate in homeless ministries in some fashion (food drives and such). It's not always seen on the surface. At least here it's that way. To be fair, a pastor could be in error by not instructing his church and trying to do it all himself.

If they are isolated though...I think there is a problem. Considering open prosecution isn't mortal, there's no reason to be isolated that I can see. Ivory tower Christianity isn't christianity.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This life is a mission trip and we are called to live every day, every moment in pray and worship of God.

We are called to glorify Him and praise him.

Some are called to marry and others to remain single, but Jesus accepts us in whatever state He finds us in.

We are called to show God's love.

For me, God is teaching me the importance of just being in his presence and just listening. Being at peace because I don't have to savior the world, just point people to the One who already has

God has taught me to slow down and stop trying to do my own thing but instead look and listen and see where God wants me to be. Who God wants me to meet.

It's not about what you do, but the love you have in your heart as the reason why you do anything.

We only truly know how to love because He first loved us.

So I believe God calls all His children to this mission field called Earth and our present day life because we are just sorjourners walking back home to Him. Perhaps we can help one another and show God's love in real ways.

Do you take time to see your brothers and sisters and say a word of encouragement about how God's light is shining through them?

Do you see someone crying and take the time to listen and pray instead of trying to get them to stop by giving platitudes or your own solutions?

Do you show God's love every day by what you say and do?

We aren't perfect but if we can bring light or oil to one soul, doesn't it make our own day brighter.

We can always find ways to bear one another's burdens and make friends who will share the same

Hope you have a blessed day
Do you have the opportunity to meet many people in your daily life. I think in certain areas of employment theres opportunity to reach out to many people and make a real differnece.

GOd shows me its children who need Him the most and not to hinder them. I find working with adults a lot harder cos they already have fixed ideas. Children are more open and they know that if you love them theres God in you. With older people its much harder cos they often lack faith, while children have a child like faith and can see miracles, an older person will be like nup, cant happen. Its always been this way. And they really hate change.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I didn't realize you were in NZ. That does complicate things, and you would get a lot of visitors...unfortunately mostly somewhat affluent visitors? Emigrating or going to NZ is so far out of my price range...although it does look BOOtiful.

The only thing I can think of near there as far as indigenous people is the aborigines but it's probs expensive to fly from NZ to AUS. It would be an adventure though :)

I feel you on the "social" club thing. At the same time, I wouldn't knock insular christian communities too much.,,it could be they just need someone to tell them. Usually there are almost "hidden ministries" where a pastor goes and visits hospitals, takes care of widows, participate in homeless ministries in some fashion (food drives and such). It's not always seen on the surface. At least here it's that way. To be fair, a pastor could be in error by not instructing his church and trying to do it all himself.

If they are isolated though...I think there is a problem. Considering open prosecution isn't mortal, there's no reason to be isolated that I can see. Ivory tower Christianity isn't christianity.
Dont you have indigenous peoples in america...the native americans?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
True some dont blow their trumpets which is a good thing but if you have many hands it makes lighter work. I think some churches underestimate team work in mission efforts and focus too much on individuals or married couples doing everything.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Dont you have indigenous peoples in america...the native americans?
Yes. Why do you ask?

Native american spirituality confuses me so I stay away from it. It feels like how I operate in the spirit and yet they don't know Yeshua so like I said, confusing. I'm not opposed, I have very low income and am penny pinching for whatever direction at present. Also preparing for SAD and that being south of the equator and experiencing summer twice would be nice. As well as to work with local children in a 3rd world country.

Children are my soft spot :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Ah... so you're just asking questions so you can take issue with the people who respond. Glad we got that cleared up, saves me anymore time trying to have a discussion with you.
I may sometimes disagree with what you say ma'am (not in this thread, honest differences of opinion in other threads) but I have never yet disagreed with how you say it. (cool)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well shoot. I typed a skype (cool) instead of a forum one with : and I didn't notice it until too late. Goes to show I'm not so :cool: after all. :p

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yes. Why do you ask?

Native american spirituality confuses me so I stay away from it. It feels like how I operate in the spirit and yet they don't know Yeshua so like I said, confusing. I'm not opposed, I have very low income and am penny pinching for whatever direction at present. Also preparing for SAD and that being south of the equator and experiencing summer twice would be nice. As well as to work with local children in a 3rd world country.

Children are my soft spot :)
Do you reach out to them. How can it confuse you if they dont yet know Jesus, just tell them.
I thought americans celebrated thanksgiving only because the native americans were welcoming people to their lands. Isnt giving thanks an integral part of our relationship with God?

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Do you reach out to them. How can it confuse you if they dont yet know Jesus, just tell them.
I thought americans celebrated thanksgiving only because the native americans were welcoming people to their lands. Isnt giving thanks an integral part of our relationship with God?
I'm not sure to be honest with you. I could say that a strong burden hasn't presented itself to me but a certain dream keep staring me in the face. Anguish. A crying out in a way that I don't see normally.

I'll keep it in mind. Thank you. I know surface level human things that the media has sensationalized...in regards to them and I need to spend some time prayerfully considering it.

Nothing near me, but consider it in the log book. In bold letters :)