what its like to be rich

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

maryjohanna

May 24, 2020
Seriously though ~ I think there is this misconception that if you are wealthy or comfortable financially, you are a bad person or obtain this stereotypical characteristics. While I do think that is the case for people, I don't think it is the case for some. We see many examples in Scripture (particularly Luke, of people who (even though they aren't "rich") use the money they do have to give to those who need it the most. I really think it is about the heart behind the money. Are you boastful? Do you trust in your money? Do you rely upon your finances to make you happy? If so, this isn't looking good. We know Christ tells us it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich person to enter into the Kingdom of God (Matthew 19:24). But, we know Christ urges individuals to use what they have for the better. Only God can see and know the depths of our heart. I truly believe someone can obtain wealth and live a life without relying on it. I believe someone can have many riches and utilize them in a way that is Godly and proper. It all comes down, in my opinion, to the heart of the individual.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
=====================================
a true statement, but, for 'HOME consumption', it only takes a minute area to have an abundance
for a small family...
:):)
depends on how big your family is I suppose.

that is if the chickens dont get it first

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Seriously though ~ I think there is this misconception that if you are wealthy or comfortable financially, you are a bad person or obtain this stereotypical characteristics. While I do think that is the case for people, I don't think it is the case for some. We see many examples in Scripture (particularly Luke, of people who (even though they aren't "rich") use the money they do have to give to those who need it the most. I really think it is about the heart behind the money. Are you boastful? Do you trust in your money? Do you rely upon your finances to make you happy? If so, this isn't looking good. We know Christ tells us it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich person to enter into the Kingdom of God (Matthew 19:24). But, we know Christ urges individuals to use what they have for the better. Only God can see and know the depths of our heart. I truly believe someone can obtain wealth and live a life without relying on it. I believe someone can have many riches and utilize them in a way that is Godly and proper. It all comes down, in my opinion, to the heart of the individual.
well nobody is saying its a case for ALL people but certainly an exception to the rule since Jesus was often at odds with the wealthy, although Jospeh of arithmea generously donated his tomb to house Jesus body...since none of his disciples would ever have been able to afford his burial.

another parable Jesus would tell is of the rich man and Lazarus. He certainly wouldnt tell it if it wasnt true of the way many with riches tend to act. Thats was why he was always exhorting people to have compassion on those less fortunate.

a lot of people just dont wanna hear though. its like la la la they dont exist.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Lower middle class would be more apt. Three toilets though.
ok I cant imagine. Is it 3 toilets for just 2 people? is one his, one hers and who is the third one for?
does this have any correlation with the run on toilet paper panic of a few months ago.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
ok I cant imagine. Is it 3 toilets for just 2 people? is one his, one hers and who is the third one for?
does this have any correlation with the run on toilet paper panic of a few months ago.
There may be a correlation of the amount of toilets and TP consumption. Currently, 3 people, me, wife, and her daughter who is temporarily staying with us.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
There may be a correlation of the amount of toilets and TP consumption. Currently, 3 people, me, wife, and her daughter who is temporarily staying with us.
wow you are blessed.
everyone has their own throne and private reading room.

are they located in different parts of the house or are they part of the bathroom. some homes they are part of the bathroom which can actually kind of annoying cos if someone using the bath or shower they dont have privacy if someone wants to go at the same time.

One of my friends was saying where she grew up, the neighbours all shared a toilet and it was outside. advantages...the smell is outside.
disadvantages...whos cleaning it and when its raining do you really need to go?

Most newer homes now come with at least two indoor toilets but the expanding population is putting so much pressure on our ancient sewerage system in the city that I dont know how long it will last, already when it rains it cant cope and it ends up in our streams.

it just seems so wasteful that we would use clean drinking water to flush our toilets into the sea, but that is all our systems are designed to do. it would be far better for our environment to compost our manure but would require a change in mindset, which a lot of people arent prepared to change.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
some rich people do have a sense of noblesse oblige, espcially if they are born into wealth, but others squander it.
whatever the case, those who are rich have far more options than those who are poor. its very easy for a rich person to say 'you have a choice' cos they DO have a choice. but for those who are disenfranchised, their choices are actually very limited, and often its between a rock and a hard place.

a rich person has a choice between a rock and a hard place and a feathered bed. no prizes for guessing what anyone would choose!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
wow you are blessed.
everyone has their own throne and private reading room.

are they located in different parts of the house or are they part of the bathroom. some homes they are part of the bathroom which can actually kind of annoying cos if someone using the bath or shower they dont have privacy if someone wants to go at the same time.

One of my friends was saying where she grew up, the neighbours all shared a toilet and it was outside. advantages...the smell is outside.
disadvantages...whos cleaning it and when its raining do you really need to go?

Most newer homes now come with at least two indoor toilets but the expanding population is putting so much pressure on our ancient sewerage system in the city that I dont know how long it will last, already when it rains it cant cope and it ends up in our streams.

it just seems so wasteful that we would use clean drinking water to flush our toilets into the sea, but that is all our systems are designed to do. it would be far better for our environment to compost our manure but would require a change in mindset, which a lot of people arent prepared to change.
We live in a two bedroom two story townhome. Each upstairs bedroom is a master bedroom with its own bathroom. The guest room where my wife's daughter is currently occupying has a bathtub and our room has a shower enclosure and a more spacious closet. Also, our room has an outdoor balcony overlooking the pond. There is a half-bath downstairs. As for composting the manure, that's what they did in the Little House On The Prairie TV show set in the mid to late 1800's.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
grapes grow on poor soil, but they can make you rich if you grow plenty of them, and make wine from them.

however, you need quite a bit of land first, and plenty of sunshine.
Plenty of sunshine in Florida as it is called the Sunshine State.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
some rich people do have a sense of noblesse oblige, espcially if they are born into wealth, but others squander it.
whatever the case, those who are rich have far more options than those who are poor. its very easy for a rich person to say 'you have a choice' cos they DO have a choice. but for those who are disenfranchised, their choices are actually very limited, and often its between a rock and a hard place.

a rich person has a choice between a rock and a hard place and a feathered bed. no prizes for guessing what anyone would choose!
I'm guessing the rock.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
materially rich I cannot truly say but spiritually rich we sure are.
The perfect life is having both, materials and spiritual things in it. Lazarus and the rich man, each had only one of those things, but i have them both. I am totally independent and love my life.