What role does obedience play in salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
What role does obedience play in the life of the believer to obtain eternal salvation?

Yahshua the Messiah said:

John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

I believe it is vital to the walk of the "narrow road" spoken of by Yahshua:

Mat 7:12-14, "Therefore, all things you want men to do to you, do the same to them, for this is the (intent of the) Law and the Prophets. Enter in through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who go that way. Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way which leads to life, and few there are who find it."

Matthew 10:22, “And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.”

Hebrews 10:36, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of Yah you may receive what is promised.”

James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who does endure trial, for when he has been proved, he shall receive the crown of life which the Master has promised to those who love Him."

James 2:17, "So also belief, if it does not have works, is in itself dead."

James 2:22, "Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected?"

James 2:24, "You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone."

James 2:26, "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so the faith without works is dead also."

Revelation 12:17, “And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to fight with the remnant of her seed, those guarding the commands of Yah and possessing the witness of יהושע Messiah."

Revelation 14:12, “Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Yah and the belief of יהושע.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
IMO absolutely none!

Obedience has a major role in our daily walk with Jesus; but has no part in Salvation.

Dec 12, 2013
IMO absolutely none!

Obedience has a major role in our daily walk with Jesus; but has no part in Salvation.
AMEN....one cannot obey the word, much less spiritually discern it unless they are born from above....then and only then do they begin the process of sanctification in their lives by a daily process of growth and maturity....

Dec 28, 2016
I haven't read anywhere in the Book or in Revelation where any songs were sung to the praise of people earning and obtaining salvation by works or obedience.

All the songs seem to be going to the glory and praise of the Lamb that was slain and to none other.

What a crying shame some here on CC were not there in heaven with John in Revelation when someone worthy to open the seal was sought. Several here on CC would have raised their own hands as being worthy.

E

eternally-gratefull

Non!

1. If we could obey the law jesus would have stayed in heaven
2. If we could work off our sin debt, jesus would havstayed in heaven.
3. If works are a part of salvation, then their is no grace, period.

Dec 12, 2013
I haven't read anywhere in the Book or in Revelation where any songs were sung to the praise of people earning and obtaining salvation by works or obedience.

All the songs seem to be going to the glory and praise of the Lamb that was slain and to none other.

What a crying shame some here on CC were not there in heaven with John in Revelation when someone worthy to open the seal was sought. Several here on CC would have raised their own hands as being worthy.
AMEN.....they would have chunked it up to working their way there........JESUS alone is worthy because we are but worms rescued from the flames by his grace through faith.....!

Dec 12, 2013
Non!

1. If we could obey the law jesus would have stayed in heaven
2. If we could work off our sin debt, jesus would havstayed in heaven.
3. If works are a part of salvation, then their is no grace, period.
AMEN......agree with ALL three........works or grace....not both, one or the other!

Dec 28, 2016
AMEN.....they would have chunked it up to working their way there........JESUS alone is worthy because we are but worms rescued from the flames by his grace through faith.....!
AMEN you got that right!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What role does obedience play in the life of the believer to obtain eternal salvation?
Obedience does play a role in salvation, and most Christians are not aware of the kind of obedience which is required. It is NOT for works of righteousness, since salvation is by grace through faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption.

However, the OBEDIENCE OF FAITH is a necessity. What this means is:

1. Obedience to the Gospel -- BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved (Acts 16:31). God commands us to believe on His Son and what He has done to obtain salvation for us. Thus Paul speaks of the obedience of faith as below.

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: (Rom 16:25.26)

2. Obedience to the commandment to repent:And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. (Acts 17:30,31).

Paul sums this up as follows (Acts 20:20, 21): And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Jesus said in john 3:16

who believe in Him will save.

what is obey mean

[h=2]Definition of obey[/h]obeyed; obeyingtransitive verb
1:to follow the commands or guidance of
  • He always obeys his parents.

2:to conform to or comply with
  • obey an order

• Falling objects obey the laws of physics.

intransitive verb
:to behave obediently
  • The dog does not always obey.

to to follow the command or guidance

what is Jesus guide us to save?

Believe in Him

if you not follow His guidance you not save

Because obey mean follow guidance so

if you not obey Jesus you not save

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Obedience does play a role in salvation, and most Christians are not aware of the kind of obedience which is required. It is NOT for works of righteousness, since salvation is by grace through faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption.

1. Obedience to the Gospel -- BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved (Acts 16:31). God commands us to believe on His Son and what He has done to obtain salvation for us. Thus Paul speaks of the obedience of faith as below.

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: (Rom 16:25.26)

2. Obedience to the commandment to repent:And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. (Acts 17:30,31).

Paul sums this up as follows (Acts 20:20, 21): And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
rue; but faith is given to us and we can't take credit for that either.
T

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015

True; but faith is given to us and we can't take credit for that either.

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
What role does obedience play in the life of the believer to obtain eternal salvation?Yahshua the Messiah said:John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."I believe it is vital to the walk of the "narrow road" spoken of by Yahshua:Mat 7:12-14, "Therefore, all things you want men to do to you, do the same to them, for this is the (intent of the) Law and the Prophets. Enter in through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who go that way. Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way which leads to life, and few there are who find it."Matthew 10:22, “And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.”Hebrews 10:36, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of Yah you may receive what is promised.”James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who does endure trial, for when he has been proved, he shall receive the crown of life which the Master has promised to those who love Him."James 2:17, "So also belief, if it does not have works, is in itself dead."James 2:22, "Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected?"James 2:24, "You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone."James 2:26, "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so the faith without works is dead also."Revelation 12:17, “And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to fight with the remnant of her seed, those guarding the commands of Yah and possessing the witness of יהושעMessiah."Revelation 14:12, “Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Yah and the belief of יהושע.
Hi Hizikyah,

I believe it all plays a part somehow; grace, faith and God's divine power works within our heart. It (obedience) doesn't save us, but it's the goal of our salvation.

Romans 1:1-6
Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name’s sake, among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;

2 Peter 1:2-3 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

We see here that it's God's divine power that has granted to us everything that pertains to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

I'm in study right now in 2 Peter and we discussed what the true knowledge of God is. The word in the greek means a knowledge based on experience by obedience. In obedience the knowledge we have becomes true knowledge.

So I think it's all intertwined and hard to separate all the different aspects to the Gospel. It's by grace through faith with the goal in mind to live in obedience to the Grace Giver Who makes it all happen. It's not based on works of the Law, but on the grace of God by faith, having as it's goal the obedience of the faith.

It's an outward sign of an inward working of God within our hearts. And the greatest outward sign of faith is love for God and love for our neighbor. And we all know that love is an action word. So love itself is obedience.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
i do not know if faith is not a choice, but what is faith?

whether faith is choice or not can you have a faith without obey ?

Jesus said you have to believe in order to save, john 3:16

not obey mean not follow His guidance, in this case His guidance to be save is believe

not obey in this context is not believe

can you save if you not believe?

i do not talk if believe is gift or not, it does'nt matter, not obey Jesus guide on salvation mean not believe in Jesus and not save,

than believe in His guidance mean to love God more than anything and love your fellow man, I do not think any body able to obey this guidance perfectly, my personal opinion is if we try the Brest and feel guilty and ask forgiveness every time we not obey, He will forgive us. If we kill and not feel guilty, not confess not regret. Than it sign we not born again and not save

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Faith is "given" to us through the preaching of the Gospel and the convincing of the Holy Spirit. Paul says faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (primarily the Gospel) (Rom 10:17). Paul goes on to say that I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (Rom 1:16).

So once the Gospel has been heard and the sinner has been convinced and convicted, that sinner must OBEY the commandment to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Thus we read in Mark 16:15,16: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So believing the Gospel is not an option, but a command. And commands must be obeyed. This is seen in Acts 2:37,38.

THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTS AND CONVINCES
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

THE APOSTLE COMMANDS REPENTANCE
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Last edited:

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Faith is "given" to us through the preaching of the Gospel and the convincing of the Holy Spirit. Paul says faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (primarily the Gospel) (Rom 10:17). Paul goes on to say that I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (Rom 1:16).

So once the Gospel has been heard and the sinner has been convinced and convicted, that sinner must OBEY the commandment to believe of the Lord Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Thus we read in Mark 16:15,16: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So believing the Gospel is not an option, but a command. And commands must be obeyed. This is seen in Acts 2:37,38.

THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTS AND CONVINCES
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

THE APOSTLE COMMANDS REPENTANCE
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

so in this context not obey mean not believe and mean not save

J

joefizz

Yahshua the Messiah said:

John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

I believe it is vital to the walk of the "narrow road" spoken of by Yahshua:

Mat 7:12-14, "Therefore, all things you want men to do to you, do the same to them, for this is the (intent of the) Law and the Prophets. Enter in through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who go that way. Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way which leads to life, and few there are who find it."

Matthew 10:22, “And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.”

Hebrews 10:36, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of Yah you may receive what is promised.”

James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who does endure trial, for when he has been proved, he shall receive the crown of life which the Master has promised to those who love Him."

James 2:17, "So also belief, if it does not have works, is in itself dead."

James 2:22, "Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected?"

James 2:24, "You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone."

James 2:26, "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so the faith without works is dead also."

Revelation 12:17, “And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to fight with the remnant of her seed, those guarding the commands of Yah and possessing the witness of יהושעMessiah."

Revelation 14:12, “Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Yah and the belief of יהושע.
Well to be saved one must ask to be saved by God and accept Jesus as saviour,after that obedience is more active in one's life not as if to say that one doesn't have their own will but the individual shall desire to do right for God and obey many of things God has written as best as one can,so yes obedience is apart of salvation "After" being saved as far as our grace plan now,but it doesn't save us.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
so in this context not obey mean not believe and mean not save
Absolutely correct. To not believe the Gospel is to disobey God's command to believe on His Son. Notice (1 John 3:23):

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ
, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Well to be saved one must ask to be saved by God and accept Jesus as saviour,after that obedience is more active in one's life not as if to say that one doesn't have their own will but the individual shall desire to do right for God and obey many of things God has written as best as one can,so yes obedience is apart of salvation "After" being saved as far as our grace plan now,but it doesn't save us.
Jesus said, to be save you have to believe.

it is mean you believe because you obey,

So in this case obey and believe can not be separated.

your hear, the guidance that to be save must believe and you obey or follow the guidance. and you save.

say you at Los Angeles Ca. You want to go to Phoenix az. You do not know how, you ask me, and I tell you

take 10 east, about 400 mile.

you hear my gospel, you obey and take 10 east, and you be in phoenix

trust and obey cause you be in your destination

If you do not trust me, you take 5 nort, you not going to be in phoenix

if you trust me but not obey, not take action, sleep, you not be in phoenix