What role does obedience play in salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joefizz

Jesus said, to be save you have to believe.

it is mean you believe because you obey,

So in this case obey and believe can not be separated.

your hear, the guidance that to be save must believe and you obey or follow the guidance. and you save.

say you at Los Angeles Ca. You want to go to Phoenix az. You do not know how, you ask me, and I tell you

take 10 east, about 400 mile.

you hear my gospel, you obey and take 10 east, and you be in phoenix

trust and obey cause you be in your destination

If you do not trust me, you take 5 nort, you not going to be in phoenix

if you trust me but not obey, not take action, sleep, you not be in phoenix
well we are not speaking on you or phoenix we are speaking on obedience and it's importance with salvation,Jesus spoke me times to trust and obey his words but one must consider free will and that merely doing what others tells you to do is not how one is saved,but obeying God is what is more active in one's life when one is saved,because if all one does is obey,then where is one's heart in the matter?
Also this depends on one's choice if one chooses the law they can be saved by acts of obedience where as under grace of Jesus we are saved by realizing we need God to not stay in the depths of sin,acknowledging and believing that Jesus died for our sins and knowing through him that we can be saved,asking to be saved,not doing it because we "have to" but because "we want to" for think on the pharisees they did many "have tos" for God but God said their hearts were "far from him" if one does not have the desire to be saved then they shall not be saved,for how can one be saved by obedience when God's spirit does not reside in you until you access Jesus as saviour,ask God to save your soul and accept the holy spirit?
you can't unless ye be under God's law instead of Jesus's grace.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Amen good works and obedience do not earn salvation. They are however evidence that Jesus has saved. by their fruit you shall know them.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Salvation is seen when those who lived in the broad way of destruction now stay to the narrow way. When sinners weak as they are no longer walk in sin.

When those who were slaves of the Devil are free from the Devil.

When the disobedient are seen to obey fully. Then you know they have trusted in Jesus. That their salvation is not of men but of God.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
What role does obedience play in the life of the believer to obtain eternal salvation?
"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins" Ephesians2:1

Your question is misleading when you say; "to obtain eternal salvation", because before we were saved we were all dead in our transgressions and sin's. So I would ask you; if before we were made alive in Christ/Messiah, we were dead in our sin's, how can obedience play a role in our salvation because we are dead; dead men cannot obey. "To obtain eternal salvation", speaks to not being saved yet. However; you also say "in the life of the believer"

Here is why your question is misleading; obedience plays no roll, to "obtain eternal salvation" because we are saved by grace though faith in Jesus Christ, apart from works/obedience. If you are speaking to Christian's who are saved and Growing in their new faith then yes obedience plays a part. God offers everyone salvation through faith in Jesus Messiah apart from any work; By grace, (unmerited favor), we have been saved, through faith in Jesus Christ.

You cannot add works to God's Grace or you have fallen from grace and neither is your faith a work, it is a gift of God. Your obedience is to a loving Father who saved you apart from any obedience.

God Bless

Last edited:

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
well we are not speaking on you or phoenix we are speaking on obedience and it's importance with salvation,Jesus spoke me times to trust and obey his words but one must consider free will and that merely doing what others tells you to do is not how one is saved,but obeying God is what is more active in one's life when one is saved,because if all one does is obey,then where is one's heart in the matter?
Also this depends on one's choice if one chooses the law they can be saved by acts of obedience where as under grace of Jesus we are saved by realizing we need God to not stay in the depths of sin,acknowledging and believing that Jesus died for our sins and knowing through him that we can be saved,asking to be saved,not doing it because we "have to" but because "we want to" for think on the pharisees they did many "have tos" for God but God said their hearts were "far from him" if one does not have the desire to be saved then they shall not be saved,for how can one be saved by obedience when God's spirit does not reside in you until you access Jesus as saviour,ask God to save your soul and accept the holy spirit?
you can't unless ye be under God's law instead of Jesus's grace.
Jesus said to be save one must believe in Him

obey mean follow a His guidance

follow His guidance mean believe in Him

do you believe if one not follow His guidance/obey will be save?

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Reciprocated Love...That is what obedience is.. Loved and forgiven to love and forgive.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins" Ephesians2:1

Your question is misleading when you say; "to obtain eternal salvation", because before we were saved we were all dead in our transgressions and sin's. So I would ask you; if before we were made alive in Christ/Messiah, we were dead in our sin's, how can obedience play a role in our salvation because we are dead; dead men cannot obey. "To obtain eternal salvation", speaks to not being saved yet. However; you also say "in the life of the believer"

Here is why your question is misleading; obedience plays no roll, to "obtain eternal salvation" because we are saved by grace though faith in Jesus Christ, apart from works/obedience. If you are speaking to Christian's who are saved and Growing in their new faith then yes obedience plays a part. God offers everyone salvation through faith in Jesus Messiah apart from any work; By grace, (unmerited favor), we have been saved, through faith in Jesus Christ.

You cannot add works to God's Grace or you have fallen from grace and neither is your faith a work, it is a gift of God. Your obedience is to a loving Father who saved you apart from any obedience.

God Bless
So so you believe one can obtain grace without obey the instruction to believe in Jesus?

jesus command to believe in Him.

you not obey, mean not obey His command, not believe in Him. Can you get grace? And save?

K

Karraster

What role does obedience play in the life of the believer to obtain eternal salvation?

Yahshua the Messiah said:

John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

I believe it is vital to the walk of the "narrow road" spoken of by Yahshua:

Mat 7:12-14, "Therefore, all things you want men to do to you, do the same to them, for this is the (intent of the) Law and the Prophets. Enter in through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who go that way. Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way which leads to life, and few there are who find it."

Matthew 10:22, “And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.”

Hebrews 10:36, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of Yah you may receive what is promised.”

James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who does endure trial, for when he has been proved, he shall receive the crown of life which the Master has promised to those who love Him."

James 2:17, "So also belief, if it does not have works, is in itself dead."

James 2:22, "Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected?"

James 2:24, "You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone."

James 2:26, "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so the faith without works is dead also."

Revelation 12:17, “And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to fight with the remnant of her seed, those guarding the commands of Yah and possessing the witness of יהושעMessiah."

Revelation 14:12, “Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Yah and the belief of יהושע.
Hizikyah brother, what are you thinking posting scripture on a Bible Discussion Forum? Don't you know we only want man's opinions here? LOL Great to see you where you been man?

Dec 28, 2016

Yahshua the Messiah said:

John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

I believe it is vital to the walk of the "narrow road" spoken of by Yahshua:

Mat 7:12-14, "Therefore, all things you want men to do to you, do the same to them, for this is the (intent of the) Law and the Prophets. Enter in through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who go that way. Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way which leads to life, and few there are who find it."

Matthew 10:22, “And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.”

Hebrews 10:36, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of Yah you may receive what is promised.”

James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who does endure trial, for when he has been proved, he shall receive the crown of life which the Master has promised to those who love Him."

James 2:17, "So also belief, if it does not have works, is in itself dead."

James 2:22, "Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected?"

James 2:24, "You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone."

James 2:26, "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so the faith without works is dead also."

Revelation 12:17, “And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to fight with the remnant of her seed, those guarding the commands of Yah and possessing the witness of יהושעMessiah."

Revelation 14:12, “Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Yah and the belief of יהושע.
God commands perfect obedience to His Law(s). Yet, none of us can measure up to it. In comes the God-Man. He lived a perfect life of obedience to the Father's commands, died after being imputed His sheep's sins, rose again for their justification and is coming again to take them home with Him.

All that the Son did for His sheep has been, is being now, and will be later, imputed with all that the Christ is. Now we stand before the Father as if we lived the perfect life of obedience to the commands of the Father.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That is quite incorrect. Obedience to the Gospel brings salvation, and disobedience to the Gospel brings damnation. Please note (2 Thess 1:Thess 1:8: In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
It seems that some think that forgiveness is all salvation is.

Actually forgiveness by itself is only part of what makes up salvation.

transformation is the part that comes not as an addition but as an essential part of salvation.

Thus to continue to live in sin thinking you are saved because Jesus died is error.

transformation just like forgiveness is gained by faith in the promises of God in Christ Jesus.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
This is a post salvation experience. Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
IMO absolutely none!

Obedience has a major role in our daily walk with Jesus; but has no part in Salvation.
In that case we will 'tear out Heb 5v9 :And being made perfect he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.

People seem to forget that 'all things work together for the perfecting of the man of God.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Romans 6

15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. 16Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? 17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. 19I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

The GOD be thanked speaks volumes...

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21)

Nothing further needs to be said or considered.

J

joefizz

Jesus said to be save one must believe in Him

obey mean follow a His guidance

follow His guidance mean believe in Him

do you believe if one not follow His guidance/obey will be save?
yet how many were not told such an order yet believed?
How can one ignore a person's "individual" decision to believe upon Jesus and call it a command?
True it is God's will that all be led to repentance but salvation is to those whom believe upon Jesus not always out of obedience,obedience grows in one's path after receiving salvation but asking for salvation is not something that can be so simply said as obedience,for some this was true for some it was not,yet still the decision lies with the "individual" to accept salvation or not,so I suppose we simply see things differently I see asking for salvation humbly and sincerely from God and accepting Jesus as saviour as a choice not a command for it is written"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son,that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,but have everlasting life" true enough if one does not accept Jesus then they are condemned it says right after this verse but it is made clear that is still a "choice" to accept salvation,if there was no choice involved then all would have accepted Jesus yet they haven't so it's not an order,it's a given promise.

J

joefizz

Amen good works and obedience do not earn salvation. They are however evidence that Jesus has saved. by their fruit you shall know them.
Yes precisely.

J

joefizz

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21)

Nothing further needs to be said or considered.
very well said.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
It seems that some think that forgiveness is all salvation is.

Actually forgiveness by itself is only part of what makes up salvation.

transformation is the part that comes not as an addition but as an essential part of salvation.

Thus to continue to live in sin thinking you are saved because Jesus died is error.

transformation just like forgiveness is gained by faith in the promises of God in Christ Jesus.
gotime please share your insight on why we receive the Holy Spirit..

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Faith is "given" to us through the preaching of the Gospel and the convincing of the Holy Spirit. Paul says faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (primarily the Gospel) (Rom 10:17). Paul goes on to say that I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (Rom 1:16).

So once the Gospel has been heard and the sinner has been convinced and convicted, that sinner must OBEY the commandment to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Thus we read in Mark 16:15,16: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So believing the Gospel is not an option, but a command. And commands must be obeyed. This is seen in Acts 2:37,38.

THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTS AND CONVINCES
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

THE APOSTLE COMMANDS REPENTANCE
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Paul is NOT speaking of requirements for Salvation. Paul is speaking of a believer's mandate to witness; and saying that fear of consequences is not an excuse for refusal.